Poaching Players (Team Manager Ethics)

Yeah, I can’t imagine how awful some of the remaining parents must have been that so many families felt compelled to leave right in the middle of the season.
Parents and players should always honor their season commitments (as long as there is no abusive behavior from the coach/club), but when that season is over it is nobody else's business but theirs what they are considering for the next season until that decision is made. That is also true for the coach, club and teammates. Don't tell lies and if it is time to move on, move on. As Surf Zombie says, look out for what is best for your player, but remember that includes setting a good example in honesty and honorable behavior.

I don't think this was the "middle" of the season. Sounds like the season ended in November.
Tryouts took place all over town during December and January. Players made decisions to leave.
State Cup was to be played (I assume this is an 06 or younger team, but could be wrong) in February. Did these players bail out of state cup?
"Technically" the year you pay for ends when State Cup is completed. But clubs hold tryouts as soon as the fall season ends.

To Expand on this... Lies were told to some of the players to cover up the group that was leaving. One kid asked the TMs kid "Are you leaving the team?" The kid asking overheard them talking but didn't hear the whole story.... The TM's kid denied he was leaving even though he had tried out the week before. Parents instructing their kids “to lie to friends” was unforgivable.

To follow up...I understand one or two kids going out for greener pastures. I do not understand when a TM "guts" the team and tells half the team to lie about it... That is unethical and reprehensible behavior. The TM has a duty to treat everyone equally... if not resign and do your planning outside the guise of team leadership.

Was this an open tryout for everyone? Aren't there major constraints for leaving a team mid season? Like no State Cup games, etc? And I was under the impression you couldn't just go play for another team without your player card... which the TM would have needed to pass along. Does SoCal just ignore all this stuff? Too many teams... too many players... just do what you want?

In most cases when I've seen a clique within a team make a sneaky move to another team - It lasts about a season.
"These 6 players carry the team. Those other 9 aren't good enough for our players. I know this coach that wants us to come and play for him. They'll be playing Flight 1 next year. And the coach played at a junior college for a year before he transferred to Chico state where he was on the team, but only played 5 minutes per year. But he is intense. I love hearing him scream and yell. Our current coach doesn't say a word during games. He sucks. I wish this season would end already so my little Becky can shine like the star I know she is. And your daughter has the biggest kick I've ever seen. This new coach will make sure she uses it by smashing the ball forward to Jenny. I'm so happy that Jenny is following us too. She is so fast, but our dumb coach plays her as an outside defender and she never gets to show her speed chasing down those big kicks."
This team was doomed from the start. Everyone knows in girls soccer you start with the keeper. Should have made sure she was coming with you guys. Now poor Jenny, Becky, and Sara will have to rotate at keeper. :)

I don't think this was the "middle" of the season. Sounds like the season ended in November.
Tryouts took place all over town during December and January. Players made decisions to leave.
State Cup was to be played (I assume this is an 06 or younger team, but could be wrong) in February. Did these players bail out of state cup?
"Technically" the year you pay for ends when State Cup is completed. But clubs hold tryouts as soon as the fall season ends.

Saw this just after I posted... so yeah, different deal if it's during open tryouts, but in NorCal there are some pretty severe consequences if you bail on a team mid season. You burn permanent bridges and, like most any other market besides SoCal, there aren't enough clubs to burn that many bridges. Players up north typically don't get to come back if you fuck a club over hard enough.

Did the group with the tm go to a different club?

Saw this just after I posted... so yeah, different deal if it's during open tryouts, but in NorCal there are some pretty severe consequences if you bail on a team mid season. You burn permanent bridges and, like most any other market besides SoCal, there aren't enough clubs to burn that many bridges. Players up north typically don't get to come back if you fuck a club over hard enough.
I find it hard to believe that money in Norcal is of any less value than it is in Socal. Money talks and that's the way it will always be. In my experience, there is no such thing as a permanently burnt bridge when money is exchanged. To put it another way. a used car salesman in a track suit will sell to anyone.

1586527738087.png

I find it hard to believe that money in Norcal is of any less value than it is in Socal. Money talks and that's the way it will always be. In my experience, there is no such thing as a permanently burnt bridge when money is exchanged. To put it another way. a used car salesman in a track suit will sell to anyone.

I've watched it happen. You have to remember the sample size is so much smaller up north. Only 4-5 clubs, if not less, in every 'major' region. Much harder to hide.

Back