Parent perspectives on the cost of competitive youth sports

I asked "well, where do they learn their technique...you know how to actually physically cross the ball and with accuracy?". They answered "that's what trainers are for".

So who trains and certifies the trainers? (that's a rhetorical question). More evidence that our youth programs tend to be more about developing teams than players.

Found this video by this cute 8 year old goalkeeper playing for a local league in England. Not sure if this is really typical, but from the look of both teams apparently the English play lot's of kickball at young ages too.

Found this video by this cute 8 year old goalkeeper playing for a local league in England. Not sure if this is really typical, but from the look of both teams apparently the English play lot's of kickball at young ages too.

yes, some teams play kickball in England (and many other countries) because that’s the way they are coached. “Kick it out” and “get it away” being two of the most common things you will hear.

It’s not an English or American thing; it’s just a safety first mentality that I’ve seen from so many coaches of lots of nationalities. It’s unfortunate because these coaches have no idea how to actually help young players develop the calmness under pressure and decision making skills they require to have long term success and enjoyment in the game (success doesn’t mean winning to me, it means competing).

It’s a huge issue here in SoCal youth soccer and there is no doubt that part of the problem is the parental pressure of having to be the best and having to win because it’s part of the youth sports culture. Thankfully not everyone has this approach.

Back