Parent perspectives on the cost of competitive youth sports

Now that club fees are almost $3k a year, I strongly believe that club soccer will experience a decrease in participation. Also there's the fact that younger kids are not into sports as much as older generations. Just look at the TV ratings.

A correction of supply and demand will be happening as early as next year.

I am already seeing this in north Orange County. Fewer kids are trying out at the younger age groups.

Its not the $3k/yr that makes a difference. Its what percent of their income that will determine if the participation will decline or not.

If the cost of club soccer is the same or lower than what it used to be for any given family by percent of their income, the I would not expect a change of behavior - all other situations being equal. But if it is larger percent of their income, then probably would happen.

So the real question is has the average family income increased to keep up with the increase in club soccer fees.

As for decline in sports, I highly doubt it. The composition of the sports and the medium in which its viewed have clearly changed. More kids are into e-Sports and are watching on their smartphones. Some sports have seen increase in popularity: whereas, other have seen decline, but the total I believe has remained steady.

where are u guys getting 3K per year?? You're insane if u think it's just club fees :rolleyes::rolleyes:

more like 5-7K total with uniforms, tournament/scrimmage/ref fees, travel (hotel/gas/food) etc

and as we all learned last season - 7-10K total if you're living the DA dream

3K? you guys are in serious financial denial :D

where are u guys getting 3K per year?? You're insane if u think it's just club fees :rolleyes::rolleyes:

more like 5-7K total with uniforms, tournament/scrimmage/ref fees, travel (hotel/gas/food) etc

$3K is just the club fee, before team fee, uniforms and extra tournaments.

The only reason to talk about just the club fee is because each team/club operates bit differently and it also depends on family, both parents, a parent or just a player travels make a large variability for the aggregate costs.

When my older kid played DA, he traveled up and down the entire west coast as well as back east for showcase/playoffs. We/I went to most of the out of the area games so airfare, rental car, hotel and incidentals including meals are not included in any discussion.

The issue of $3k, is it used to be $2.5K last year or two years ago and $2k just before that. Its the rising cost of the club fees.

The only reason to talk about just the club fee is because each team/club operates bit differently and it also depends on family, both parents, a parent or just a player travels make a large variability for the aggregate costs.

When my older kid played DA, he traveled up and down the entire west coast as well as back east for showcase/playoffs. We/I went to most of the out of the area games so airfare, rental car, hotel and incidentals including meals are not included in any discussion.

The issue of $3k, is it used to be $2.5K last year or two years ago and $2k just before that. Its the rising cost of the club fees.

There is no reason to just talk about the club fee.. that's a huge financial mistake... if you're truly planning your investment.. double at minimum your club fees and that's what you'll truly spend on your kid's sport.. and trust me that's bare minimum.. most likeley you will spend more.. A LOT MORE

You should talk to someone whose kid plays club volleyball, olders! It is insane! Everyone decides where to spend their money. Sports, music, art, etc etc., rehab, counseling etc etc. whatever you need for your child.

Youth sports are a lot of money for most people. If you are counting on youth sports as some type of financial return in lieu of good grades or investing in a college fund you are a moron.

I just try to look at it like taking a ski trip. It was expensive, but it was a lot of fun and I don’t expect anything down the road from it in return other than my kds hopefully having had a great childhood.

Being on this forum (both old and new) for 5~6 years now, I've read many, many parents comments about how much they spend and what expectations they have.

It is rare that anyone sees club soccer expenditure as an investment with some kind of ROI attached to it, albeit qualitatively (e.g, club soccer = college scholarship). My sense is that most parents see it as a mean to spend quality time with their kids and bestow some teamwork, pride and meaning of competing into their kids life lessons.

Personally, I think its nuts not to have a 529 account or equivalent for your kid from the day they are born, when time is on your side. By the time the kid is ready to goto college, the 529 will, may not be all, pay a good deal of the educational cost. While many have the means to pay for their kids formal education and not have to worry about 529, it still makes sense to have one - just as 401K/(Roth)IRA does for retirement (assuming that one's income level is such that you qualify to make a contribution).

What I've found interesting in the survey is not so much of how much people spend - because people spend whatever they want to on anything - but they do so at the expense of their own retirement future. Its no wonder that the average retirement savings/person in this country is abysmal.

You should talk to someone whose kid plays club volleyball, olders! It is insane! Everyone decides where to spend their money. Sports, music, art, etc etc., rehab, counseling etc etc. whatever you need for your child.
Our next door had one of their kids play club VB and also another do Cheer. Yes I know the costs. Club soccer is actually quite low compared to some other activities.

Someone mentioned hockey earlier, and I also know few families that did hockey at $5k/yr just for club fees many years ago. I think club soccer at the time was around $1.5k/yr ($3K equivalent of today)

I see what all the numbers say but I wouldn't change it at all. We are normal middle class family but if our kids got an opportunity to do something, try something new, go somewhere and they wanted to, we did everything to make it happen. Soccer was and is #1 in our family and we have gone 2 entirely different routes with our kids in regards to level and have no preconceived notions of scholarships, going pro, etc. I consider whatever money we spent(it was a lot) money well spent. They both have a great group of friends that they spend time outside of soccer with, have not gotten in any trouble(son is 17, pray for me :) ) and they are genuinely well adjusted. I was by no means the best parent, I honestly believe the competitive soccer environment that my kids were/are a part of was instrumental in them being who they are.

Looks like my son is going to jump on the United bandwagon. Really good team....surprised how good they are....just whipped the silver team that dinged him earlier and most have only been together a month (silver teams been together a year). Not run and shoot kickballers either....my son being brought on board because of his ability to play the back....coach didn't even look at his punting during trials. Am optimistic.

Looks like my son is going to jump on the United bandwagon. Really good team....surprised how good they are....just whipped the silver team that dinged him earlier and most have only been together a month (silver teams been together a year). Not run and shoot kickballers either....my son being brought on board because of his ability to play the back....coach didn't even look at his punting during trials. Am optimistic.

Happy for you to find a place for him. If you mean AYSO United, we are there too and very happy with the choice we have made! Good luck to you!

I spent a little over $31k over my player's club career from U10-U18 and we have already recouped that expense. Had she decided to go to Stanford we would have recouped double that amount in the first year! The most expensive years were U16/17 then U15 followed by U14. The cheapest was U18. That is an average of $3400 a year. Her scholarship has more than paid for it but I would do it again even if she decided that she wanted to run track, or ride horses (she's actually a good western and English rider) or if she just wanted to focus on her studies. Every season before I would write a check I would ask her if she still wanted to do it (including her senior year when I didn't write a check). I also demanded straight A's if I was going to spend any money at all on extracurricular activities. I will say that all of the years of traveling and having to study on the road has translated to excellent study habits. In the end, it was worth it to our family.

Good luck to you and your player.

The rising costs of clubs have to do with parents egos and the smaller size rosters of U littles.

The parents ego come into place when they feel ashame of being in a "lower" prestige club or AYSO affiliate team and take their kid to the big box to ride the pine on a A or B team, or just a simply worst team they were in. On their way out they trash the rep of the former team only because its important for them to tell the people within their social environment that they play for certain tracksuit wearing club and they are paying all this money because that club promises them the moon, the stars and a trip with Elon Musk to Mars!

Then there is the smaller size rosters of U12 and below. Good coaches are needed to provide a positive environment to the Ulittles and that costs money, and that has to come from somewhere.

And I forgot to mention that joining these Rec leagues that continue showing up charge clubs for the admission of each team. More unnecessary costs.

Only DA is worth the cost, the rest is pure non-sense.

The rising costs of clubs have to do with parents egos and the smaller size rosters of U littles.

The parents ego come into place when they feel ashame of being in a "lower" prestige club or AYSO affiliate team and take their kid to the big box to ride the pine on a A or B team, or just a simply worst team they were in. On their way out they trash the rep of the former team only because its important for them to tell the people within their social environment that they play for certain tracksuit wearing club and they are paying all this money because that club promises them the moon, the stars and a trip with Elon Musk to Mars!

Then there is the smaller size rosters of U12 and below. Good coaches are needed to provide a positive environment to the Ulittles and that costs money, and that has to come from somewhere.

And I forgot to mention that joining these Rec leagues that continue showing up charge clubs for the admission of each team. More unnecessary costs.

Yes, as a parent involved in AYSO United, I can tell that the value of our car stickers versus other clubs is a significant difference to some people. Our $200 uniform package for both uniforms, training uniforms and jackets/pants/bags etc are laughed at because they aren't nike or Adidas.

Yes, as a parent involved in AYSO United, I can tell that the value of our car stickers versus other clubs is a significant difference to some people. Our $200 uniform package for both uniforms, training uniforms and jackets/pants/bags etc are laughed at because they aren't nike or Adidas.
"to some people" perhaps, but most of us are simply trying to find the best situation for our own kids. I've never noticed what uniforms the other team were wearing. I'm a parent in my 40's, not in high school :)

Here is my perspective on the cost. My U-little DD had a fabulous coach for the past three years, and I consider the $2,000 per year money well spent. I once paid $110 for an AYSO U5-Jamboree soccer for my DS and it was completely unorganized, and for whatever reason our local AYSO hired some "UK coaches" that never showed up. I have more problem parting with that $110 than the $2K I paid for my DD.

If you were able to find a good situation/coach in AYSO United for your kid, and save $1,500 a year, congrats.

When my DD played for AYSO Matrix our yearly fees was a whooping $275 including uniforms and believe me people were like yucks about it. I also worked out some very good sponsorship deals to pay for tournaments. I paid about $4k for my DD's entire soccer career which spanned for about 11 years, and even her top of the line Magistas paid for themselves! Nike's warranty is a lovely thing!

I watched my first GDA game last night and I don't see any difference in style of play. I was appalled at the keeper play and I saw them have the keeper pass to the defenders off a goal kick a total of zero times. This was the 1st place vs the 3rd place team in the SW division. GDA is just a fancy name nothing more.

When my DD played for AYSO Matrix our yearly fees was a whooping $275 including uniforms and believe me people were like yucks about it. I also worked out some very good sponsorship deals to pay for tournaments. I paid about $4k for my DD's entire soccer career which spanned for about 11 years, and even her top of the line Magistas paid for themselves! Nike's warranty is a lovely thing!
Yes, their warranty is the best kept secret in youth soccer.

I watched my first GDA game last night and I don't see any difference in style of play. I was appalled at the keeper play and I saw them have the keeper pass to the defenders off a goal kick a total of zero times. This was the 1st place vs the 3rd place team in the SW division. GDA is just a fancy name nothing more.
Regardless of level of play, any even matchup will call for jungle ball! Whether it is AYSO Core Rec, USWNT against Germany or Japan, MLS or LigaMX, they turn a notch up on their kickball. Possession ONLY happens when one team is vastly superior than the other.

Regardless of level of play, any even matchup will call for jungle ball! Whether it is AYSO Core Rec, USWNT against Germany or Japan, MLS or LigaMX, they turn a notch up on their kickball. Possession ONLY happens when one team is vastly superior than the other.

I disagree.

Back