Moonlighting with Club & AYSO in SoCal, My 9yo sons experience!

This is u9? Best of luck to your kid & you on your journey first off.

Moonlighting? Many young kids play on mutiple teams, futsal, school, rec so don't take it so serious. Kids play sports to have fun, so make sure it's doesn't become about the results at these young ages.

Giving player advice when you don't play or know much about the sport a slippery slope, my first kid knew more about soccer than I did by the time he was 10 so I never even talked to him about anything releated to playing the game unless he asked for a opinion or if I saw something.

I'm glad I did'nt get involved much or cared about the results at all during their early playing days; they found their own way, style, friends, teamates, etc and development a long lasting love of the game that way. Maybe we where lucky to have so many good coaches, mentors, mates along the way but earning even thing they achieved with much parent involvement besides transportation is something that will serve them well later in life. Helicoptering is a short-lived endeavor so take a step back, chillax, and keep things lite & fun for the kids so they will continue to love the game

This is u9? Best of luck to your kid & you on your journey first off.

Moonlighting? Many young kids play on mutiple teams, futsal, school, rec so don't take it so serious. Kids play sports to have fun, so make sure it's doesn't become about the results at these young ages.

Giving player advice when you don't play or know much about the sport a slippery slope, my first kid knew more about soccer than I did by the time he was 10 so I never even talked to him about anything related to playing the game unless he asked for a opinion or if I saw something.

I'm glad I did'nt get involved much or cared about the results at all during their early playing days; they found their own way, style, friends, teamates, etc and development a long lasting love of the game that way. Maybe we where lucky to have so many good coaches, mentors, mates along the way but earning even thing they achieved with much parent involvement besides transportation is something that will serve them well later in life. Helicoptering is a short-lived endeavor so take a step back, chillax, and keep things lite & fun for the kids so they will continue to love the game

This. Parents who have coached there kids are the ones usually yelling counterproductive instructions to them on the sidelines. Same people who run to their kids at halftime to share what they are seeing (which somehow was missed by the professional coach) and tell their kid some nonsense advice about how they can score more or how they need to be the game-changer. Coaches are always happy when they see a parent on their side of the field talking to a player.

I agree about "moonlighting". Ton of club kids even play with Rec friends in Spring, playing Fustal or Sunday Leagues. Kids just play. This usually comes from perspective of parents who think very highly of their kid's skill

As i said,,, And ill defend my thread (seems like i have too) this Duel play is a short term "option" for someone called a "tweener" (Skill level, Age,, size) An option to help speed up the growth curve.
Some kids never want to excel,, they are more comfortable mid-pack (no expectations), they are more afraid of the expectations of being the BEST and the ostracizing of being the worst. (Some embrace it, some dont) Some can handle it,,, Some cant. Some kids NEVER get to play for a championship, let alone win one. Its an experience that helps and cultivates competitive play adds confirmation in some of the "hard work paying off" aspect.
Theres a growth in passion as well when kids are successful, make friendships/teammates. Most of the kids "not playing again" are likely on a losing team. Vs. continued play on a winning team. (fact)
My son was discouraged bye a badd coach,,, one of which 70% of the team never want to play the sport again. (The coaches own son included) Talk about fair,,, thats ridiculous. And should be upsetting to any parent. (spirit damaging)
My son was encouraged bye a coach who was/is an Ex-pro (not many ex pro's teach kids soccer around here) to play duel to make a successful jump from AYSO level to Club. (which they succeeded going from Bronze to Silver -notice the upward progress- its called momentum!)
Let me see,,ummmmm Badd coaching vs. Ex-Pro's advice,,,, Duhh! no brainer here..!
In sports theres Growth, Peaks, plateaus , and troughs. For most sports & players this is the mental aspect. (Getting over the proverbial HUMP) Nothing is sustainable,,and nothing is promised as well. I watched as my kid absorbed minutes from the club players who, missed practice,and thought their moms/dads money would keep them on the field. I watched as my kid went from being nervous,, to being confident and and encouraging team leader. (over the hump)
((isnt that what we want from sports?))

As far as AYSO and coaching....... in most/all cases the kids have more experience playing, than the coaches have coaching.. so who's teaching who?

Now ,,, My kids say they are Burned out on school,,,,, Do I let them quit? Do I not push them academically? do i tell them to take off some time from school, because your brain might get injured??? do i tell them learning can wait, dont do too much homework?? Encourage slow development? Your telling me Fortenite is better than reading??(unless your trying to be a pro-gamer) I read theese comments laughing and lets be real,, Do your kids aspire to go to the junior college or the the top University? or sets his /her goals to be even higher or limitless. Which one do you encourage, vs. which is the alternative?
I dont take it personal,,but i sense some negativity about the thread, some post with the sentiment that i might be a bad parent with overexpectations. how Silly.

,, But the BEST,, always get fuel for their fire from those competitive critics. who have usually never played any active sport in there life. (Armchair Al/ annieO)

So take this to sleep..... YOU WILL NEVER BECOME BETTER AT ANYTHING WITHOUT PRACTICE ( and thats at any speed)...!!

As i said,,, And ill defend my thread (seems like i have too) this Duel play is a short term "option" for someone called a "tweener" (Skill level, Age,, size) An option to help speed up the growth curve.
Some kids never want to excel,, they are more comfortable mid-pack (no expectations), they are more afraid of the expectations of being the BEST and the ostracizing of being the worst. (Some embrace it, some dont) Some can handle it,,, Some cant. Some kids NEVER get to play for a championship, let alone win one. Its an experience that helps and cultivates competitive play adds confirmation in some of the "hard work paying off" aspect.
Theres a growth in passion as well when kids are successful, make friendships/teammates. Most of the kids "not playing again" are likely on a losing team. Vs. continued play on a winning team. (fact)
My son was discouraged bye a badd coach,,, one of which 70% of the team never want to play the sport again. (The coaches own son included) Talk about fair,,, thats ridiculous. And should be upsetting to any parent. (spirit damaging)
My son was encouraged bye a coach who was/is an Ex-pro (not many ex pro's teach kids soccer around here) to play duel to make a successful jump from AYSO level to Club. (which they succeeded going from Bronze to Silver -notice the upward progress- its called momentum!)
Let me see,,ummmmm Badd coaching vs. Ex-Pro's advice,,,, Duhh! no brainer here..!
In sports theres Growth, Peaks, plateaus , and troughs. For most sports & players this is the mental aspect. (Getting over the proverbial HUMP) Nothing is sustainable,,and nothing is promised as well. I watched as my kid absorbed minutes from the club players who, missed practice,and thought their moms/dads money would keep them on the field. I watched as my kid went from being nervous,, to being confident and and encouraging team leader. (over the hump)

As far as AYSO and coaching....... in most/all cases the kids have more experience playing, than the coaches have coaching.. so who's teaching who?

Now ,,, My kids say they are Burned out on school,,,,, Do I let them quit? Do I not push them academically? do i tell them to take off some time from school, because your brain might get injured??? do i tell them learning can wait, dont do too much homework?? Encourage slow development? Your telling me Fortenite is better than reading??(unless your trying to be a pro-gamer) I read theese comments laughing and lets be real,, Do your kids aspire to go to the junior college or the the top University? or sets his /her goals to be even higher or limitless. Which one do you encourage, vs. which is the alternative?
I dont take it personal,,but i sense some negativity about the thread, some post with the sentiment that i might be a bad parent with overexpectations. how Silly.

,, But the BEST,, always get fuel for their fire from those competitive critics. who have usually never played any active sport in there life. (Armchair Al/ annieO)

So take this to sleep..... YOU WILL NEVER BECOME BETTER AT ANYTHING WITHOUT PRACTICE ( and thats at any speed)...!!

I dont see anyone being negative. They are responding, mostly trough years of experience dealing with our soccer environment - mainly So Cal Soccer. You're responses are fallacious. Again, if you have been on the this board long enough, especially the old board, you have come across this type of post over and over. Education to Soccer is Apples and Oranges. Dual Play, can i get a link to scientific data on that?

Man, you remind me of those annoying people at a poker table. They can't stop complaining about a bad beat when they lose, and they also can't stop offering unsolicited poker lessons to others when they win.

Adding you to my ignore list.

Man, you remind me of those annoying people at a poker table. They can't stop complaining about a bad beat when they lose, and they also can't stop offering unsolicited poker lessons to others when they win.

You just called him Phil Hellmuth. Then they beg a bunch of questions but really don’t care for your opinion or want an answer. They just want you to agree how good a player they are. They can’t believe you know more than them or they give advice to you like you can’t calculate basic odds - when you’ve taken master’s level courses on Game Theory. Sadly same guys are the ones that kill a solid game because they find the hothead who likes to punch stuff rather than use their words. Smh

Maybe you should play soccer , instead of poker. Not a jab, but something tells me your not good at either,,, probably because you dont practice....... enough!!

Back