Manchester City Cup

They played without a full time goalie this morning, was that the case the whole tournament?
I agree. San Jose Quakes are legit! Beat PSV 4-1 but controlled the entire game. Outside the goal PSV scored from direct kick on the top of the box they had zero opportunities. Quakes seem to have complete control and possession of the game. Surf DA G04 also looked very strong against Crossfire Premier with a 5-1 win. Should be a great final!

Surf was the best team at the tournament--as mentioned above Surf controlled the game from start to finish--a really fun team to watch as a neutral!

I also noticed that outside of Surf DA team--there was not much separation between the other SoCal DA--ECNL--nonDA/ECNL teams at this tournament. With the caveats that come with watching teams at these early tournaments (players guesting or absent, teams still adding players), I wonder if there will be three tiers of soccer at the top this year at this age:

Tier 1: Exceptional teams--these will be top 2-3 DA teams (see Surf)
Tier 2: Very good teams--most DA teams, top ECNL teams, handful of top non-DA/ECNL teams
Tier 3: Good teams: remaining DA teams, remaining ECNL teams, some DAII teams, handful of non-DA/ECNL teams

We may be an inflection point in girls soccer and with time we will see that DA clubs have separated themselves from everyone else on a talent/skill level but (and I may be forced to eat crow on this point)--at least this year I think we will continue to see overlap between the very good teams (see Tier 2) regardless of the patches that are being placed on the jerseys.

Back