Latest merger affiliate partnership....

When will one of these "Soccer Media Magazines" like Goal Nation or Soccer Today actually do an investigative story and not just throw out marketing fluff from "Business Development Directors".

When will one of these "Soccer Media Magazines" like Goal Nation or Soccer Today actually do an investigative story and not just throw out marketing fluff from "Business Development Directors".

Fluff and $$$ changing hands sometimes. Infomercial style almost.

Here's the official letter announcing the Strikers MV/OC Surf arrangement.
https://www.soccertoday.com/surf-gr...U1tQG5AmhR-W6lygN3Le1aSVXL5wEa99opmqj5OIAAV4k

“Surf is an organization that’s taken care of everything and they’re delivering on what they say,” said Castle, Sr., OC Surf Mission Viejo’s president.

“Branding is super, super important, and the Surf brand name is highly respected and deserves to be — People in this area love name brands. That’s why so many people drive a Lexus over a Toyota,” said Castle.

Just saw on Facebook that the former Strikers MV that became Oc Surf Mission Viejo will no longer be a Surf.

WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE ARE BECOMING
MISSION VIEJO FOOTBALL CLUB!
Based on Community spirit and the development of players and
coaches we are no longer continuing as OC Surf MV.
We will retain our great relationship with Surf Sports Inc., San Diego and
will complete our 2019-20 season as OC Surf Mission Viejo through State/National Cup.

Just saw on Facebook that the former Strikers MV that became Oc Surf Mission Viejo will no longer be a Surf.

WE ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE ARE BECOMING
MISSION VIEJO FOOTBALL CLUB!
Based on Community spirit and the development of players and
coaches we are no longer continuing as OC Surf MV.
We will retain our great relationship with Surf Sports Inc., San Diego and
will complete our 2019-20 season as OC Surf Mission Viejo through State/National Cup.
This is insane!!!! Plus, you better be nice to SCS or you won't get invited to next years SCS "Best of the Best" flight 2 Ford Division that is diluted because of DPL. Lexus Division or bust Mr Jones and Mr Smith :) Screw Ford and the Toyota diluted divisions.

I totally commend them for trying to maintain a local club identity.
Wonder what league they will play in?
Wonder why the surf thing didn’t work out? (Money, power or player funneling are my guesses).

Wonder why the surf thing didn’t work out? (Money, power or player funneling are my guesses).
Keep it Local Coach and if out of the bunch a true Unicorn is developed by the club and coach. let him or her hop all around the OC and SoCal to find that true Unicorn challenge that only other Unicorns can bring. To sum it up: After 8 years and about $30K spent (I did get half a season free one year but don't tell anyone), it all comes down to this for the girls. Find a local coach and team. Build a healthy nest for the 99.5% of the players and wait until 15 to hop all around looking for better players if your so incline too. Or, you can move to Oregon and be home schooled and go pro.

There's a meeting tomorrow at 730pm-930pm at MVHS that will supposedly explain everything. I don't know if I can go but would love for someone, who can attend, to summarize on here.

This merger/affiliate absolute madness is why there will always be a place for smaller clubs. Of course, running a boutique/smaller club, I would say that. There are pros and cons to both which I’ve talked about and written about before but there will always be room for both big and small/niche IMO.

If you run a solid program and want to maintain coaching standards (among many other things that become uncontrollable at scale), I don’t see why you would want to merge or affiliate. I get the idea and some of the rationale behind it but by the sound of things, it more often than not turns out to be not anywhere near as good as promised and occasionally, turns into a disaster or farce.

Now, if you have an average/poor program and want to merge or affiliate to get a boost and try to revlitalise your club or program, I completely understand the merger or affiliate route. Ultimately, if the kids are better off then it’s hard to argue against it.

My kids club was a successful small club but they didn't merge with Surf for any of then above reasons. They merged because DA & ENCL wouldn't let them into the party because they were a small club. Even though Socal Academy used to beat up on DA/ECNL teams all the time, the "Elites" wouldn't let them in. They merged with Surf and got instant DA.

I imagine that they will continue in SCSDL. This year they put 5 teams into the SCSDL play-offs with at least 1 team continuing on to the semi-finals in flight 1.

There are a group of parents that are loyal to the coaches and will continue with the club because of the coaching - branding doesn't matter. From my understanding there was a disagreement as to what was promised as opposed to what was delivered when the deal was made last year. By breaking from surf they will be able to continue to provide the same coaching/resources as in the past at a decreased price to the parents.

My kids club was a successful small club but they didn't merge with Surf for any of then above reasons. They merged because DA & ENCL wouldn't let them into the party because they were a small club. Even though Socal Academy used to beat up on DA/ECNL teams all the time, the "Elites" wouldn't let them in. They merged with Surf and got instant DA.
My bro had a hobby shop in Florida and then Walmart came in. He was selling model airplanes for $20 but Walmart had the same one for $15. They offered him a job to greet the folks coming in to shop but he declined the offer to join the big dog. Choices we all have to make in life can be hard and you won't know if the choice was a good one or a bad one until later. Have to let things play out :)

Cal FC-DMS11 are merging, although it looks more like an acquisition or takeover given that Metcalfe was very publicly selling off all of his coaching equipment recently.

This appears to be part of a general trend to link youth clubs with professional or adult teams so that they resemble more true academy set-ups. In this case, it appears to be the acquisition of a youth club by a semi-pro or pro team (Cal FC will be playing in NPSL's Founders Cup, which is technically an adult league organized under the amateur US Adult Soccer Ass'n, but it includes some former NASL clubs that appear to pay all of their players).

By contrast, Santa Monica United recently announced the start of a UPSL adult team of the same name, which looks to be more organically linked with the youth club since it appears to be coached by and include players from the SMU youth coaching ranks, although the adult team seems to trace its roots to a previous adult team that was once in UPSL, Sporting Santa Monica. Either way, this looks to be more common as both NPSL and UPSL are growing quickly. At its best, the relationship can be mutually beneficial, providing coaches, training opportunities, and a post-graduate home for the youth club and a place for the adult team players to earn some extra cash (coaching), share field space, and recruit players. At it's worst, it's just another way to leverage pay-to-play. SMU seems like it has a better chance at the former than Cal FC given the ties to current SMU coaches, but we'll see how they both develop.

Field space is starting to become the issue. The Big brand clubs are now finding new formats to place players. Pathway to "private schools" Let not get this whole entire thing confused. No big brand club is starting new / acquiring new teams in the HOOD where the Athletes are. Only where solid working parents are. Thats the MAIN reason AYSO regions 1031 ( South LA Regions) is putting out the BEST girls players at this moment in multiple age categories. THIS PROBLEM IS ECONOMIC. No different from banks, savings, and loans.. financially prevent the best athletes a chance at the best coaching. Big club will simply poach hispanic/ black poor kids out the depths of low end clubs,,,,,,

I might be late to the game, but is it true that Beach FC is taking over LA Galaxy South Bay AND Strikers South Bay??????

I might be late to the game, but is it true that Beach FC is taking over LA Galaxy South Bay AND Strikers South Bay??????
I think it sounds like a merger between Beach and Strikers according to the coaches I spoke with recently. Not sure about the LAGSB involvement.

Ah another club countdown

Temecula United SC going with Surf or Ablion? Who's has the 411?

What uniform brand will we wear?
We will be an adidas club. Our home and away uniform colors and style will be revealed by the end of the year, and we expect our players to receive their new kits in April 2020 (as has been the case with our current uniform brand). Our players will receive branded training gear in January 2020.

I'm pretty sure this statement right here says "neither". Otherwise I have no clue though. FC Golden State maybe? When you read that FAQ is sounds like a re-branding that will magically gain DA access rather than a merger.

This is insane!!!! Plus, you better be nice to SCS or you won't get invited to next years SCS "Best of the Best" flight 2 Ford Division that is diluted because of DPL. Lexus Division or bust Mr Jones and Mr Smith :) Screw Ford and the Toyota diluted divisions.
Don't kid yourself, it's all about the money and control of the money.

Carlsbad United of Temecula? I dunno sounds fishy.

From the Temecula FAQ:
Will we have an MLS club name in our new name?

No. Together with several large elite clubs in the Southwest, we are establishing our own new brand while maintaining a strong affiliation with the MLS and the NWSL

cufc_script.png

Back