Latest merger affiliate partnership....

I think I see an error of my past. When I was on the Board of the local club we didn't have a Director of Business Development.
I wonder what that job pays?
Do they cold call into clubs and try to set up meetings?
Or do clubs reach out and say "Come and buy us please?"
Is it a hard sell? "Either you become Surf and buy your uniforms from soccer.com - or you sleep with the fishes?"

I think I see an error of my past. When I was on the Board of the local club we didn't have a Director of Business Development.
Imagine LA Vaqueros, Chula Vista Vaqueros, Sierra Nevada Vaqueros, Maui Vaqueros, OC Vaqueros, South Bay Vaqueros. You would be living up in the hills with a infinity pool overlooking the sunset...

I wonder what that job pays?
Do they cold call into clubs and try to set up meetings?
Or do clubs reach out and say "Come and buy us please?"
Is it a hard sell? "Either you become Surf and buy your uniforms from soccer.com - or you sleep with the fishes?"

PalatableElectricHectorsdolphin-size_restricted.gif

Imagine LA Vaqueros, Chula Vista Vaqueros, Sierra Nevada Vaqueros, Maui Vaqueros, OC Vaqueros, South Bay Vaqueros. You would be living up in the hills with a infinity pool overlooking the sunset...

How do you know that I am not already?

OK, you got me, I'm not. However, there is a 27-hole golf course just out my back door.

The good thing about having income producing property in Hawaii and those other vacation paradises is that the monthly trips for board meetings (and presumably to collect the checks) can be written off as a business expense. (I learned that from an acquaintance's mother, who was actively pursuing that since she owned apartment buildings in both Maui and Long Beach.)

Saw a recent post for Pats Lakewood/Long Beach/Lakewood. Is this a brand new chapter for Pats? Or did they absorb an existing group?
Newish. They posted something heading into the fall season; think they had 3-4 new teams practicing at Lakewood H.S. SCDSL season has that club with HB this past year still.

Adding: I recognize the Pats B04 roster from FC Premier previously.

Espola, coachsamy... what of the rumored SDSC and Poway Vaqueros merger?

I haven't heard that rumor. History indicates that every year or two there is a new club started in North County, and some survive (like 4s Ranch), some disappear, and some get absorbed. There was an attempt to start a breakaway club from Poway 2 years ago, but it went nowhere - except that some of the better Poway coaches moved on. SDSC was formed a few years back by the merger of the RB and PQ clubs, and a couple of years before that RB had absorbed Pegasus (formally known at one time as San Diego Soccer Club, thus the source of the current name).

Poway Youth Soccer League gets special treatment from the Poway Recreation Department because it is the largest youth athletic entity in town, and most of the players live within city limits. As a result, they get priority free access to the city-owned fields and to the city-built fields on school district property after hours and weekends. There would have to be some fancy dancing to hold onto those advantages if PYSL disappeared into a big merger.

I have seen a lot of merge, and usually, the mergers fail. In most cases, there is one club which is falling apart anyway. Sometimes both clubs are struggling and looking to each other for a mutual bail-out. When a stronger club takes on a failing club, it has to take on its problems as well, and that may include bad teams, unhappy parents, and financial instability. When both clubs already have problems, well, the outcome is predictable.

And more....
Central Valley Monarcas Academy joins Surf Soccer Club as its newest national affiliate, and is now known as Central Valley Surf Soccer
http://cvsurf.minhxtran.com/faq

LAUFA OC B05 PRE USSDA from Yorba Linda/Placentia. Guess those Pat's YL teams did move over for national cup.

The oxy names: LA United of OC, Surf of the central valley I dunno but they sound like those law firms or divorce celebrities that keep adding on names to the end or something...

And more....
Central Valley Monarcas Academy joins Surf Soccer Club as its newest national affiliate, and is now known as Central Valley Surf Soccer
http://cvsurf.minhxtran.com/faq

LAUFA OC B05 PRE USSDA from Yorba Linda/Placentia. Guess those Pat's YL teams did move over for national cup.

The oxy names: LA United of OC, Surf of the central valley I dunno but they sound like those law firms or divorce celebrities that keep adding on names to the end or something...

"our desire to continue developing quality players on and off the field is more achievable when we are partnered with one of the strongest brands in youth soccer."

?????

SD Surf takes over Riptide. South San Diego I think?
And Albion takes over San Marco United. North (And slightly east) San Diego

SD Surf takes over Riptide. South San Diego I think?
And Albion takes over San Marco United. North (And slightly east) San Diego
Riptide is at Liberty Station in Point Loma, central San Diego. Less than a mile from Albion's Robb Field. I believe that both clubs share some of the local fields in Point Loma. At the younger ages, both clubs compete for kids from the same neighborhood. It will be interesting.

Riptide is at Liberty Station in Point Loma, central San Diego. Less than a mile from Albion's Robb Field. I believe that both clubs share some of the local fields in Point Loma. At the younger ages, both clubs compete for kids from the same neighborhood. It will be interesting.

2 miles as the crow flies, more like 3 if you are driving.

2 miles as the crow flies, more like 3 if you are driving.
I stand corrected and did not change my post ...
1.4 miles from the middle of Liberty Station to the edge of Robb Filed if you run it.
2.5 miles if you drive to the edge of Robb Field taking the quickest route, not necessarily the shortest
3.4 if you drive all the way around Robb Field and into the parking lot

In any case the point was that the clubs compete for the same players.

Cal FC-DMS11 are merging, although it looks more like an acquisition or takeover given that Metcalfe was very publicly selling off all of his coaching equipment recently.

https://www.facebook.com/Calfootballclub/posts/2510124605669104

This appears to be part of a general trend to link youth clubs with professional or adult teams so that they resemble more true academy set-ups. In this case, it appears to be the acquisition of a youth club by a semi-pro or pro team (Cal FC will be playing in NPSL's Founders Cup, which is technically an adult league organized under the amateur US Adult Soccer Ass'n, but it includes some former NASL clubs that appear to pay all of their players).

By contrast, Santa Monica United recently announced the start of a UPSL adult team of the same name, which looks to be more organically linked with the youth club since it appears to be coached by and include players from the SMU youth coaching ranks, although the adult team seems to trace its roots to a previous adult team that was once in UPSL, Sporting Santa Monica. Either way, this looks to be more common as both NPSL and UPSL are growing quickly. At its best, the relationship can be mutually beneficial, providing coaches, training opportunities, and a post-graduate home for the youth club and a place for the adult team players to earn some extra cash (coaching), share field space, and recruit players. At it's worst, it's just another way to leverage pay-to-play. SMU seems like it has a better chance at the former than Cal FC given the ties to current SMU coaches, but we'll see how they both develop.

Cal FC-DMS11 are merging, although it looks more like an acquisition or takeover given that Metcalfe was very publicly selling off all of his coaching equipment recently.

https://www.facebook.com/Calfootballclub/posts/2510124605669104

This appears to be part of a general trend to link youth clubs with professional or adult teams so that they resemble more true academy set-ups. In this case, it appears to be the acquisition of a youth club by a semi-pro or pro team (Cal FC will be playing in NPSL's Founders Cup, which is technically an adult league organized under the amateur US Adult Soccer Ass'n, but it includes some former NASL clubs that appear to pay all of their players).

By contrast, Santa Monica United recently announced the start of a UPSL adult team of the same name, which looks to be more organically linked with the youth club since it appears to be coached by and include players from the SMU youth coaching ranks, although the adult team seems to trace its roots to a previous adult team that was once in UPSL, Sporting Santa Monica. Either way, this looks to be more common as both NPSL and UPSL are growing quickly. At its best, the relationship can be mutually beneficial, providing coaches, training opportunities, and a post-graduate home for the youth club and a place for the adult team players to earn some extra cash (coaching), share field space, and recruit players. At it's worst, it's just another way to leverage pay-to-play. SMU seems like it has a better chance at the former than Cal FC given the ties to current SMU coaches, but we'll see how they both develop.

Yeah good observations about DMS, heard there was some $$$ changing hands to make that happen. Same thing with the FC Golden & Blues Alliance I understood.

The UPSL could shake thing up a bit if both these clubs decide to field youth teams in the academy 4th division.

Back