Las Vegas Players College Showcase

We were preparing to play on an adjacent field and a couple of our parents had been watching the game in question. They told us about it later and they felt that the crowd watching that game was very belligerent to the ref crew and it felt that the situation was getting out of control. Without knowing why the crowd had become so belligerent, they felt that ref crew had done the right thing to leave.

Not the case at all. It was 15 minutes into the game. AR was 10 yards behind the last defender and missed an offsides call. Parent asked if could get into position. AR said no. I guess they went back in a civil manner and eventually the parent asked if there was someone that he could talk to to get him to work. AR pointed to the white tents in the middle of the complex. Parent got up and walked over to the tents. When he got close to the tents the AR ran to the ref, had a brief discussion and all 3 ran off the field. There was a parent from both teams as well as a 3rd party (west coast parent just there watching) that all said no contact was made, no foul language, etc...College coaches were not happy. Kids were disappointed...UCLA coach tweeted about it today. Unfortunate situation for all.

we had a cr who blew the whistle for every goal kick and throw in. I firmly believe these were random ppl dressed up as refs and officiated the games.

Refs weren't any better at Aventura Park. I think those refs worked the entire day each day. Saw the same refs from our morning game still going when our evening game started on the second day. 9 games scheduled on that field for Saturday. At our morning game the AR gave a corner kick to the opposing team calling our GK out of bounds. GK clearly had possession of the ball inbounds even though she was partially out of bounds. The AR was lingering somewhere around the 18yd line. I usually sit near the flag to keep to myself and normally don't say much but this time I yelled across the field to the AR and to the CR asking how can he make a call when he's not even close to the goal line. CR just said it's the AR's call. I said..well he needs to move himself into a position to make the call accurately. He was not built for running as an AR..and definitely not running for anything else as I watched him CR the game before us and rarely ventured outside of the center circle.
Our evening game had a girl on the other team with a cast that was bubble wrapped. I went over to the ref tent to ask if that was allowed. He said if it's bubble wrapped it's ok as long as there isn't a hard cast underneath. I said to him..if I bubble wrap a 2x4 and hit you across the head with it..do you think it's still gonna hurt? He just shrugged. I then said that the rule states if it's a hard ortho cast and deemed unsafe by the ref then the kid can't play unless the ref deems it ok. I then told him the ref needs to be informed of the cast if he isn't aware to at least check it. I know this topic has been debated before but I sure as hell don't want my kid taking a shot to the head by that arm even if it's unintentional.
Didn't see any college coaches here either..but then again I didn't expect to by what other members posted here.

I train between 15-30 miles a week. If I do four 80 minutes games alternating between CR and AR, my mind is gone sometime during the 4th game. Physically I can keep up, but the fatigue affects my mind. For this tournament, I think we had a lot of untrained and out of shape referees at the G03 fields, who had to work all day. They were working way over their head trying to officiate games at this level even for 1 game, let alone 6 or more. I'm not not blaming these referees any more than I would a kitten that got thrown onto a race track. They were put in a situation they were unprepared to handle.

The tournament definitely needs to address the issue for future years. If I had a serious injury on my team, I would be contacting the Nevada association to inquire about sanctioning requirements and then verifying that they were met. One suggestion would be to partner with nearby associations and offer free or deeply discounted room and board, possibly some decent SWAG and/or other things to get more qualified referees to this tournament. Maybe partner it with a convention or upgrade training and observations.

Frankly, if it were up to me, it would impact my decision as to whether we returned, and my daughter's team didn't have any really bad stuff happen. There are plenty of showcases available to So Cal teams and the internet makes things pretty easy, too.

I sincerely hope our club decides not to do this tournament again. There are too many other very good options that would roughly be the same cost....particularly all the ECNL events which are top notch, in terms of fields, refs and college coach presence.

I sincerely hope our club decides not to do this tournament again. There are too many other very good options that would roughly be the same cost....particularly all the ECNL events which are top notch, in terms of fields, refs and college coach presence.
I thought the exposure was good, it's relatively inexpensive, and there's always over 600 teams for girls alone. With that many teams, I'm sure it's a challenge to find quality refs. I witnessed some foolishness myself. But overall my experience was good. ECNL events are an added bonus. There won't be 600+ teams...instead 100+, which makes it special.

Don't know about Heritage but Silverbowl fields are in great shape. All green with no dirt patches.

Field setup is bit on the short side.

Heritage was pretty good for this time of year, not green but, good surface, LOTS of college coaches, we had over 40 in the 3 days attend, (many attended multiple games), competitive brackets and we didn't drive 300 miles to play our own SoCAL teams. This was our 5th trip and this one was by far the best, great hotel, close to 3 of the 4 games and just an overall great time.

The refs were really overworked. By the last day, they were just mailing it in. I saw some egregious decisions, but I was convinced they were because the refs were too exhausted to care. Twice there were some bad no calls at the end of games because they just didn't want to prolong anything.

If it weren't for the number of coaches at our first two games, this wouldn't be a tournament I'd recommended.

MB

If that was the 03 age bracket the slammers o3 ECNL team was playing also. So those were not slammers ECNL players guesting.

Thanks Gmiller... I see that now but I can say with honesty that this was not the team that went 0-8-2 in SCDSL and scored 5 goals all year. They scored 7 against a tough team in the first game so how does that make sense? I just don't see any advantage for a team to do that in a showcase. How would the college coaches know what girls are playing if they didn't make a serious attempt to stack the roster and update scouting zone well in advance? Strange but it happened. Now the team's got soccer rankings went from 1790 to 389!! Their rank improved +1394 nationally, +432 in the region and +72 in southern cal because of this one tournament... Flawed system in my opinion but it should correct itself in the end. We had a great time this year and I am not complaining about losing to this team. They were tough and ended up losing in the finals to the Arsenal CO team. We didn't have as bad of officials as some of the others but I can see where the tournament needs to tighten up a few things!

Thanks Gmiller... I see that now but I can say with honesty that this was not the team that went 0-8-2 in SCDSL and scored 5 goals all year. They scored 7 against a tough team in the first game so how does that make sense? I just don't see any advantage for a team to do that in a showcase. How would the college coaches know what girls are playing if they didn't make a serious attempt to stack the roster and update scouting zone well in advance? Strange but it happened. Now the team's got soccer rankings went from 1790 to 389!! Their rank improved +1394 nationally, +432 in the region and +72 in southern cal because of this one tournament... Flawed system in my opinion but it should correct itself in the end. We had a great time this year and I am not complaining about losing to this team. They were tough and ended up losing in the finals to the Arsenal CO team. We didn't have as bad of officials as some of the others but I can see where the tournament needs to tighten up a few things!

Those gotsoccer rankings are weird anyway. For instance, teams that won their brackets received quite a bit of points while high level teams playing in the National League bracket weren't getting any points. Same with teams that won Surf cup while many teams were at showcases like Silverlakes getting none since it was a showcase. I usually look at those rankings for a general idea but I have seen good teams with lower rankings and some high ranking teams that aren't good since some are going off previous years team rankings

Just a thought but the consensus I have heard is that www.youthsoccerrankings.us is a better source for up to the minute rankings and reflects true head to head rankings rather than arbitrary ranking points to determine placement. Again, it's "youth soccer" so I wouldn't put too much stock in any of it frankly

Just a thought but the consensus I have heard is that www.youthsoccerrankings.us is a better source for up to the minute rankings and reflects true head to head rankings rather than arbitrary ranking points to determine placement. Again, it's "youth soccer" so I wouldn't put too much stock in any of it frankly

Youth Soccer Ranking usually misses TGS and Las Vegas Player's Showcase results however, they will add them in if you send them the link.

Those gotsoccer rankings are weird anyway. For instance, teams that won their brackets received quite a bit of points while high level teams playing in the National League bracket weren't getting any points. Same with teams that won Surf cup while many teams were at showcases like Silverlakes getting none since it was a showcase. I usually look at those rankings for a general idea but I have seen good teams with lower rankings and some high ranking teams that aren't good since some are going off previous years team rankings
The rankings are important because some tournaments utilize them to decide what teams they will allow into their tournament and what bracket they will play in. A flawed system? Completely. But to the best of my knowledge a college coach does not care where a team is ranked. That's why it's important for your kid to reach out to the coach and provide them their schedule.

We had no problems with refs or fields. My DD played and learned a lot from some of the best teams in the country. BTW the tournament hoodies are awesome.

Back