LA Premier FC - Girls Academy Information

When you have 18-23 on a team, how are they all going to get good play time? Especially with sub rules? It seems to me that a real developmental team would have 15-16 to truly ensure good play time. They develop on the field, not on the bench.

15 is too low and will bite a team with injuries. 16 player teams usually end up with about 3 on bench during season due to injuries; although, a healthy team will have 5 on bench. Many of the teams will have 18 players from the discussions I have had with coaches. Clubs that already pilfer and abuse players (parents wallets) sitting on the bench will most likely continue to have 23 rostered players like they do on ECNL team. While I agree some development occurs on the field a good coach will develop so much more off the field.

Great post. Thanks!

As for the "Big 4 ECNL teams in So Cal....", I can almost guarantee the head coach for the DA 03 and 04 teams has already started putting rosters together. I don't think there are any restrictions related to the 04's since they are not in ECNL as of now (with the exception of the 04's playing up on 03 teams), but the 03's are a little more tricky. As of now, I am sure these HC's are making informal (verbal) offers to current ECNL players.

Each of these Big 4 ECNL teams has players they don't want to risk losing to another organization. So these coaches have to be proactive to make sure those girls stick around.

All supposition on my part, but I would bet a dollar I am either spot on with my assessment or pretty darn close.

Definitely. The DOC called my daughter twice already.

Is there a limited number of subs allowed per half? It sounds like unless you are top 11, you won't see much playtime.

And that isn't going to change in the GDA and likely will get worse. As before the top 11-14 players will eat up 85-90% of the minutes. With ECNL at least you could easily play 18 players. How is that going to happen now? usually the top 6-8 players on a team are going to play 70+ minutes each. With no reentry that number is going to be closer to 90 minutes each.

And that isn't going to change in the GDA and likely will get worse. As before the top 11-14 players will eat up 85-90% of the minutes. With ECNL at least you could easily play 18 players. How is that going to happen now? usually the top 6-8 players on a team are going to play 70+ minutes each. With no reentry that number is going to be closer to
4 training sessions a week and 30 matches plus 3 showcases. All girls will see plenty of deserved time. Recovery will be a factor or it won't work for any GDA.

Development at practice and in games is important. They can do drills all day, but it doesn't mean much until it's used in a game situation.
Is part of development earning playing time? If playing time is an issue I would give up my spot. Maybe DA isn't for that player.

15 is too low and will bite a team with injuries. 16 player teams usually end up with about 3 on bench during season due to injuries; although, a healthy team will have 5 on bench. Many of the teams will have 18 players from the discussions I have had with coaches. Clubs that already pilfer and abuse players (parents wallets) sitting on the bench will most likely continue to have 23 rostered players like they do on ECNL team. While I agree some development occurs on the field a good coach will develop so much more off the field.

If you have a girl or two injured, bring up from DAII.

I am not sure why I am having to argue the importance of play time and learning on the field. You can develop all you want at practice, but it doesn't mean much if you are sitting on the bench and not learning to put it to use in a game situation.

Is part of development earning playing time? If playing time is an issue I would give up my spot. Maybe DA isn't for that player.

Not earning play time, but getting play time. Normally coaches play their best players majority of the time to win. If it's not about winning like DA claims, then earning a top spot to get more play time shouldn't even be a factor.

Not earning play time, but getting play time. Normally coaches play their best players majority of the time to win. If it's not about winning like DA claims, then earning a top spot to get more play time shouldn't even be a factor.
If it goes as planned I don't see girls playing full 70 every week along with strength and conditioning. I think it will be well balanced. Before the 03/04 I thought it would be an issue.

If it goes as planned I don't see girls playing full 70 every week along with strength and conditioning. I think it will be well balanced. Before the 03/04 I thought it would be an issue.

I guess we will just see how it all plays out. It's all speculation at this point. But I do wonder if any of the parents at DA tryouts or meetings have asked about playtime. That is #1 for me since my daughter along with most just want to be out there playing. That's the fun part.

When you have 18-23 on a team, how are they all going to get good play time? Especially with sub rules? It seems to me that a real developmental team would have 15-16 to truly ensure good play time. They develop on the field, not on the bench.
15-16 players at this age level is just not enough. Our team had "16" rostered and played the entire CSL and late fall tourney season with "12" healthy girls. The season will definitely take its toll and injuries are bound to happen. While we continued to have much success it certainly caught up to us.

15-16 players at this age level is just not enough. Our team had "16" rostered and played the entire CSL and late fall tourney season with "12" healthy girls. The season will definitely take its toll and injuries are bound to happen. While we continued to have much success it certainly caught up to us.

That sounds like an anomaly. They also say there will be less injury due to fewer games. I am just thinking about how the limited sub rules will impact a team of 18+ players.

That sounds like an anomaly. They also say there will be less injury due to fewer games. I am just thinking about how the limited sub rules will impact a team of 18+ players.

The impact will be the girls learn how real soccer is played :). All speculation since we have no GDA rulebook yet: Less talented players will probably get less time on field, especially on the teams that try to win at all cost (unless rules are in place). Players 20, 21, 22, and 23 probably won't play since current DA rule is 7 subs (if that is the rule).

The impact will be the girls learn how real soccer is played :). All speculation since we have no GDA rulebook yet: Less talented players will probably get less time on field, especially on the teams that try to win at all cost (unless rules are in place). Players 20, 21, 22, and 23 probably won't play since current DA rule is 7 subs (if that is the rule).

How does it help a 13 year old to learn the FIFA subbing rules? Doesn't it help them more for a coach to be able to pull them off for a bit to offer guidance or advice, then let them go back in and try it? You admit that less talented players will probably get less playing time, which makes no sense to me since DA is supposed to be about development, not winning.

DA rosters: min 16 max 23, 18 game day. 7 subs across 3 movements, no re-entry.

Typically MLS clubs carry 20+ but only 18 game day so some players don't make the roster that week.

Most teams sub 3-4 players a game some more some less but starters get the majority of playing time. 10-15 min at the end of game or after a start happens for subs, either that or at the half or soon after. There are min #of starts and AMT of playing time suggestions but those are not strictly followed.

During the transfer windows players who havent played much or think that future playing time could be a problem look at other options typically.

how many other teams lost 6 players this year at one time due to injury?

I know of situations where multiple players are out due to a variety of reasons at once such as:

Injury
YNT camp
Vacation
School event
Recruiting trip/official visit
Doesn't want to spend $$ on out of area trip

All of a sudden a roster of 18 is short 4+ players. I think my players team her last year had maybe half their games with a complete roster and had to borrow heavily from the younger "A" teams.

I know of situations where multiple players are out due to a variety of reasons at once such as:

Injury
YNT camp
Vacation
School event
Recruiting trip/official visit
Doesn't want to spend $$ on out of area trip

All of a sudden a roster of 18 is short 4+ players. I think my players team her last year had maybe half their games with a complete roster and had to borrow heavily from the younger "A" teams.

This makes sense. My daughter just isn't old enough for all of those to be factors, so I didn't think about that. Those are definitely concerns for teams with high school aged players.

Back