In SoCal what’s it going to be DA/DPL or ECNL?

All this perspective is interesting and there’s strong opinions.

Hey, we’re new to this DPL thing and enjoyed the last years with ECNL.

Appreciate the factual feedback. There is a lot of good feedback in this thread overall and there is purely emotion in some of the posts.

Like you, we are in the middle of this thing. I say again the top levels DA, ECNL/DPL all have great teams and players.

Ha, so it's factual when it agrees with your opinions/hopes...But emotional claptrap when it doesn't.... got it.

Here is a fact: You got sold on DPL as being a legit and thus get defensive when those of us not with a vested interest tell you how it really is.

All this perspective is interesting and there’s strong opinions.

Hey, we’re new to this DPL thing and enjoyed the last years with ECNL.

Appreciate the factual feedback. There is a lot of good feedback in this thread overall and there is purely emotion in some of the posts.

Like you, we are in the middle of this thing. I say again the top levels DA, ECNL/DPL all have great teams and players. Could there be a couple flight one teams that can compete at the lower DA/ECNL/DPL level, hmm maybe. This is also possible when a team is weakened when players leave DPL teams to play or guest on their DA teams, when teams have injured players and candidly when parents and players don't want to play National Cup. Then there is RB who took his team to the National Cup and crushed every team they played.

In seems in this second year of DA and DPL there is a lot of reshuffling of players and teams again. There will be some great teams in each of the top leagues. DPL players are able to play some games on their club’s DA teams. Not a bad deal if that is what you want and can achieve.

JoeZ, you’re asking for feedback, but you sure seem to have all the answers already, hmm! Were you looking for validation or affirmation?

“Could there be a couple flight one teams that can compete at the lower . . .ECNL/DPL level, hmm maybe.” This statement is laughable.

Thanks for your reply. I don’t have the answers as this will be her first year playing in DPL from ECNL (one of those 2 players I mentioned) and there are many perspectives on the subject.

Good luck to all of us.

Ha, so it's factual when it agrees with your opinions/hopes...But emotional claptrap when it doesn't.... got it.

Here is a fact: You got sold on DPL as being a legit and thus get defensive when those of us not with a vested interest tell you how it really is.
Sorry futboldad1, just doesn’t seem sensible to draw conclusions (or tell anyone how it really is) on something based on one year into it. Especially considering how fluid the change is and movement of players across clubs and teams and the variations by age group.

Good luck to all...and thanks for all the feedback

I just want to know if my kid will get a cool patch to wear on her kit. Will it say DPL or have a big 3 layered on top of a soccer ball so everyone knows we are Tier3?!:eek:
(Sorry if this was already asked.)

Like you, we are in the middle of this thing. I say again the top levels DA, ECNL/DPL all have great teams and players. Could there be a couple flight one teams that can compete at the lower DA/ECNL/DPL level, hmm maybe.

Joe I think the issue you are running into on this forum is that you are in a very small minority of people who are trying to convince themselves that DPL is a comparable option to DA or ECNL . It isn’t, and like I said before it really isn’t close.

But without reading thru all the pages I can tell that the common thought among most (other than those that have consumed far too much DPL Kool-Aid) is that DA/ECNL are parallel as far as level of play with the exception that there are teams on both sides of the fence that are strong and others that are weak. And ECNL has a bit more flexibility. HS soccer,subs,etc.
But let's be honest. DPL is NOT comparable to DA/ECNL top level teams. We played F1 SCDSL last season and we were NOT in Champions bracket. We finished middle of the pack in our bracket. But then again my own opinion of our team is we weren't that good of a team. Had a lot of trouble scoring. In National Cup we played a DPL team that beat us 0-1. We played better than them the majority of the game. Just gave up an unlucky goal. I was expecting to get beat by much more. The level of the DPL team was the equivalent of many teams we faced during regular season. So to say DPL is on par with DA/ECNL..well if that makes you feel better then so be it. But it's just not the case. My .02

Joe I think the issue you are running into on this forum is that you are in a very small minority of people who are trying to convince themselves that DPL is a comparable option to DA or ECNL . It isn’t, and like I said before it really isn’t close
Well said.

Sorry futboldad1, just doesn’t seem sensible to draw conclusions (or tell anyone how it really is) on something based on one year into it. Especially considering how fluid the change is and movement of players across clubs and teams and the variations by age group.

Good luck to all...and thanks for all the feedback

What's the real 'difference' (i.e., talent, soccer IQ, etc) between a GDA player and a DPL player in your opinion? I wont press you on what ECNL team you came from.....So, I've seen some lengthy rosters for GDA teams and being required to accept a spot on a DPL team is telling in and of itself. Unless your DD plays for Blues, Slammers or Surf, is being player #24, say on Albion for example, really worth all the fuss? If on average 16 FT rostered GDA players split minutes in any given game, not including the keeper, what's left for the balance of the FT rostered players fighting for the #18 spot? Just curious to understand why all the fuss over being rostered on a DPL team, which in any GDA universe is clearly that clubs 'B-team,' it just seems silly IMHO.

As I opened up with, please explain the 'difference' in your opinion, that way I can sensibly draw a conclusion.

Like you, we are in the middle of this thing. I say again the top levels DA, ECNL/DPL all have great teams and players. Could there be a couple flight one teams that can compete at the lower DA/ECNL/DPL level, hmm maybe.

Joe I think the issue you are running into on this forum is that you are in a very small minority of people who are trying to convince themselves that DPL is a comparable option to DA or ECNL . It isn’t, and like I said before it really isn’t close.

I would not criticize any parent for signing up for a DPL squad. You choose teams based on coach, playing time, training, and quality of the other players. If that equation translates as DPL team for your kid, fantastic. But to do so and then position it as a parallel league to ECNL is either disingenuous or misinformed. It simply isn't. Depending on age groups and individual clubs, the debate between DA and ECNL as far as who has the best collection of teams is a legitimate one. DPL is comparable to F1 and CSL premier in terms of level of competition, with a possible added advantage of being called up to a DA team.

Well said.

What's the real 'difference' (i.e., talent, soccer IQ, etc) between a GDA player and a DPL player in your opinion? I wont press you on what ECNL team you came from.....So, I've seen some lengthy rosters for GDA teams and being required to accept a spot on a DPL team is telling in and of itself. Unless your DD plays for Blues, Slammers or Surf, is being player #24, say on Albion for example, really worth all the fuss? If on average 16 FT rostered GDA players split minutes in any given game, not including the keeper, what's left for the balance of the FT rostered players fighting for the #18 spot? Just curious to understand why all the fuss over being rostered on a DPL team, which in any GDA universe is clearly that clubs 'B-team,' it just seems silly IMHO.

As I opened up with, please explain the 'difference' in your opinion, that way I can sensibly draw a conclusion.

Ok Go West, Our club changed from ECNL to DPL. We did not have the choice unless changing clubs after many years. Fortunately moved onto a team with a great coach and solid fellow players which is more important than which patch or no patch. Of course the quality of league play is very important as well. You may be right about some of the teams but one can say the same about the other leagues as well. I will support it until proven otherwise.

What the difference should be and really is, well that is a function of all the prerequisites + player, team and coach.

Nobody should EVER have considered DPL better than flight 1 or CSL premiere. I said that from day 1!!!! That’s the problem with posts from people like JoeZ, when you include DPL in a discussion with ecnl and DA, and exclude flight 1 and premiere, people assume DPL is superior than flight 1 and premiere. I have fought that perception ad nauseam with Simi from the get go.

My opinion is it’s on par with Flight 1 and SCDSL.

I would not criticize any parent for signing up for a DPL squad. You choose teams based on coach, playing time, training, and quality of the other players. If that equation translates as DPL team for your kid, fantastic. But to do so and then position it as a parallel league to ECNL is either disingenuous or misinformed. It simply isn't. Depending on age groups and individual clubs, the debate between DA and ECNL as far as who has the best collection of teams is a legitimate one. DPL is comparable to F1 and CSL premier in terms of level of competition, with a possible added advantage of being called up to a DA team.
Mystery train, some harsh language there. What’s your interest in trying to purport DPL is flight 1 level? That is clearly not the plan nor intent of the league.

Mystery train, some harsh language there. What’s your interest in trying to purport DPL is flight 1 level? That is clearly not the plan nor intent of the league.
The plan of DPL is to keep YOUR MONEY in THEIR CLUB and to make you think that your DPL kid is at the same level as the DA kid. The plan of DPL is to limit your exposure to other comparable teams in CSL-Premier or SCDSL by saying DPL is exclusive whereas if they'd let you play against the other two leagues other than tournaments or National Cup you'd see you are paying for something extra wherein fact once you play against that top-notch CSL or SCDSL team you'll see DPL is equal..if not sometimes less than at times. Sorry. Reality check.

The interest is: the truth.

The plan and/or intent of the league is: irrelevant

Stop fighting it JoeZ, and don’t take our word for it, just look at the results.

If you look at how those DPL teams that "made it" did in CRL last year, that facts are:

2005 - Beach FC SB G05 DPL (13th). 12 Flight 1/Gold/Premiere teams were better. Conclusion, the DPL team sucked.
2004 - Beach FC G04 DPL (1st). Real So Cal DPL (7th). LA Galaxy 2004 DPL (12th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was great, one was average and one sucked.
2003 - LA Galaxy DPL 03 (6th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was average.
2002 - Real So Cal (2nd), Beach (6th), Albion DPL (7th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was great, two were average.
2001 - LA Galaxy DPL 2001 (7th), Albion SC G2001 DPL Academy (8th), Beach FC G01 DPL (9th). Conclusion 3 DPL teams were below average.

The CRL represents the better Flight 1/Premiere teams and when competing against these teams, on balance the DPL teams were slightly below average, with only 1 team excelling. Beach FC 03, which also finished first in the DPL.

There is quite a range among flight one teams as there is quite a range in premier teams.
The top premier and flight one teams can hold their own with many DA and ECNL teams.

If you look at how those DPL teams that "made it" did in CRL last year, that facts are:

2005 - Beach FC SB G05 DPL (13th). 12 Flight 1/Gold/Premiere teams were better. Conclusion, the DPL team sucked.
2004 - Beach FC G04 DPL (1st). Real So Cal DPL (7th). LA Galaxy 2004 DPL (12th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was great, one was average and one sucked.
2003 - LA Galaxy DPL 03 (6th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was average.
2002 - Real So Cal (2nd), Beach (6th), Albion DPL (7th). Conclusion, 1 DPL team was great, two were average.
2001 - LA Galaxy DPL 2001 (7th), Albion SC G2001 DPL Academy (8th), Beach FC G01 DPL (9th). Conclusion 3 DPL teams were below average.

The CRL represents the better Flight 1/Premiere teams and when competing against these teams, on balance the DPL teams were slightly below average, with only 1 team excelling. Beach FC 03, which also finished first in the DPL.
Was there DPL at ‘05 last year?

Not trying to be harsh. I'm just stating my evaluation based on firsthand observations from 2 tournaments, National Cup and friends of my DD who played last season on a DPL team. In addition to my own eyes, the results MWN listed are there to see as well. Now, maybe the DPL team your kid is on is really strong. Maybe it's better than the ECNL team she left. But on the whole, across all age groups, DPL teams performed similarly to F1 and CSL Premier teams in open competition. Period. You can say, "It's just the first season. It will get better. Give it time." But that's speculation. Based on the fact that the best DPL players aspire to play DA and are generally the b team at a given club, stability from year to year (as pointed out by you and Simi in defense of poor Natioal Cup results) will be even worse than most teams and therefore the overall quality of competition will have wild variations between the best and worst DPL teams. In the 2002 age group, two F1 teams beat 2 DPL teams to reach the finals. Those two F1 finalists would be 4 or 5 goal underdogs to Blues ECNL or LAFC Slammers DA (who just switched to ECNL for next year). So no, it's not a legitimate debate, and I really don't think I'm being harsh. Just pointing to the results.

Was there DPL at ‘05 last year?

Well ... I looked at the CRL and not the DPL website. I see there was a team called "Beach FC SB G05 DPL" and looking at the DPL website, I see there was no 05 division. Hmmm, Beach had a DPL team ... so maybe this just validates all the opinions regarding the dishonesty of the DPL?

Back