In SoCal what’s it going to be DA/DPL or ECNL?

At the end of the day its always about parents' egos and $$$$$$ for the clubs and the leagues. Anyone but me remember similar confusion during the creation of SCDSL/ECNL/EGSL?

At least in AYSO, DDs seem to play for the love of the game and parents don't have to worry about play time, restrictions on high school soccer and the ROI of club soccer.

I hear you but Blues has always been the exception not the rule. However I do wonder how many parents are going to be satisfied with their dd on the 3rd team. I hope they keep their egos in check.

Lot’s of good feedback and views on the subject. It is interesting how views have evolved in the thread once the information was formally released.

Seems however “Fact” needs a “fact check”.

The DPL teams will not be “c” nor in many cases “b”.
The decision to play in DA vs ECNL or DPL is not purely indicative of being the best or the A team. Some DA teams struggled to pull together rosters while strong players opted to stay ECNL so they could play for their High Schools. My daughter included, leaving the ECNL team that went DA and moving to the new ECNL team.

Candidly having watched a lot of DA and ECNL games there are several ECNL, and (now ECNL going DA2) teams that are stronger than many DA teams. Overall the talent pool seems split now and it’s namely because of the High School restriction. The ECNL/DA2 are clearly not “B” teams.

We hear and read many current DA players and parents are not happy with DA. Maybe it’s not for them, having to give up so much while seeing same or lesser level of play and no more college coaches at the showcases as are at the ECNL events. I suspect this may change.

Nonetheless, fact is both DA and ECNL or DA2 (DPL) are all good programs depending on one’s situation and objectives.

To continue: The DA is a joke run by clowns for incomprehensible reasons. For the ECNL teams they took the same coaches. Some of the "outside clubs" should have been ECNL anyhow. Flush DA. Take the 13 SoCal clubs and have them be ECNL. Let the Arizona and Nevada teams go to some other division. Quit dicking around and get it done. There is no soccer career for women. $35000 a year and living with 4 teammates to pay the rent is not a career. It is a hobby. ECNL got girls to college - leave it at that. The top 1% will be the top 1% regardless. Let the USWNT find them.
I like this guy.

Lot’s of good feedback and views on the subject. It is interesting how views have evolved in the thread once the information was formally released.

Seems however “Fact” needs a “fact check”.

The DPL teams will not be “c” nor in many cases “b”.
The decision to play in DA vs ECNL or DPL is not purely indicative of being the best or the A team. Some DA teams struggled to pull together rosters while strong players opted to stay ECNL so they could play for their High Schools. My daughter included, leaving the ECNL team that went DA and moving to the new ECNL team.

Candidly having watched a lot of DA and ECNL games there are several ECNL, and (now ECNL going DA2) teams that are stronger than many DA teams. Overall the talent pool seems split now and it’s namely because of the High School restriction. The ECNL/DA2 are clearly not “B” teams.

We hear and read many current DA players and parents are not happy with DA. Maybe it’s not for them, having to give up so much while seeing same or lesser level of play and no more college coaches at the showcases as are at the ECNL events. I suspect this may change.

Nonetheless, fact is both DA and ECNL or DA2 (DPL) are all good programs depending on one’s situation and objectives.
The fact that you still call it DA 2 shows that you know very little about the subject.

Blues is still currently doing ECNL. Check Blues website. It shows the 2018/19 assignments. I think there is talk of the DPL team being comprised of the flight 1 teams. But we will see.

As I stated (someone disagreed with my post) that WC/Galaxy Cucuk is jumping to DPL from ECNL so it IS happening (along with Blues and possibly more). I make the point because it appears that those clubs value the idea of being a "DA light" as opposed to a completely different league in ECNL. I am not bashing ECNL and in fact thing it has some talent better than DA talent. What is more interesting is that many girls who played ECNL played high school last year. I wonder if their parents (or the players themselves) know that they will have to conform to the same no high school soccer rules as DA.

The fact that you still call it DA 2 shows that you know very little about the subject.

Thanks for enlightening me to this. DA2, ECNL reserve, et al are created by clubs and coaches to attract parents and players. Replace DA2 with DPL.

What’s it going to be?

What we seem to have is more fragmentation....

DA, DPL, ECNL. ... all with a mix of player level and seriousness on all three types of teams. Let’s not forget the latest addition of the 03 DA Pilot.

DA = “development” seems like a legitimate structured program but you live with the substitution rule and cannot play for your HS. Some clubs have solid programs and great teams, others clearly do not.

03 DA Pilot = “not sure”. It’s not DA and it’s not ECNL or DPL rules.

DPL, ECNL = ad-hoc, in some clubs it’s not a structured program or training. Some clubs clearly have a solid program and great teams, others clearly do not. Better have a serious, good coach who trains more than once a week with your team and doesn’t comingle training with other teams. Can play for HS and other HS sports. More politics and parents who get away with not paying their club or team fees.

For whatever reason your not understanding. Let's try this again and I'm going to just edit your post:

JoeZ said:

What’s it going to be?

What we seem to have is more fragmentation ....

DA, DPL, ECNL. ... all with a mix of player level and seriousness on all three types of teams. Let’s not forget the latest addition of the 03 DA DPL Pilot.

DA = “development” seems like a legitimate structured program league for elite girls but you live with international the substitution rule and cannot play for your HS. Some clubs have solid programs and great teams, others clearly do not [, but in light of the fact its the first year, that is explainable].

[Note, there is no 03 DA Pilot program in SoCal, there is an 03 DA Pilot program in the Frontier division, but not the Southwest]

03 DA DPL Pilot = “not sure”. It’s not DA and it’s not ECNL or DPL rules. It a DPL program designed to keep the DA composite (02/03 age group) on a single year age group team that will play in the DPL and gets to go to a DA showcase and play against the Frontier 03 pilot girls.

DPL, ECNL = ad-hoc, in some clubs it’s not a structured program or training. Some clubs clearly have a solid program and great teams, others clearly do not. Better have a serious, good coach who trains more than once a week with your team and doesn’t comingle training with other teams. Can play for HS and other HS sports. More politics and parents who get away with not paying their club or team fees.

DPL = Teams located in the Southwest that are for girls that (1) cannot make the DA team or (2) do not want to play under the DA restrictions. The DPL is a Cal South sanctioned league (i.e. not the the USSDA league). Because DPL is a Cal South league, players qualify for ODP.

ECNL = Teams located in the Southwest that are for elite girls that want to play HS and with less rigid training rules.

Politics and parents not paying club or team fees are the same across all leagues, with the DA moving towards a fully funded program on the boys side and some clubs attempting to do it on the girls side by subsidizing the teams on the backs of the lower level teams.

As we just completed the first year of the Girls DA and DPL, the jury is out as to level of competition. The ECNL also suffered some dilution of talent with teams/talent going to the DA. It will likely take a few years to see how the DA/ECNL battle impacts talent rich SoCal.

For whatever reason your not understanding. Let's try this again and I'm going to just edit your post:

JoeZ said:

What’s it going to be?

What we seem to have is more fragmentation ....

DA, DPL, ECNL. ... all with a mix of player level and seriousness on all three types of teams. Let’s not forget the latest addition of the 03 DA DPL Pilot.

DA = “development” seems like a legitimate structured program league for elite girls but you live with international the substitution rule and cannot play for your HS. Some clubs have solid programs and great teams, others clearly do not [, but in light of the fact its the first year, that is explainable].

[Note, there is no 03 DA Pilot program in SoCal, there is an 03 DA Pilot program in the Frontier division, but not the Southwest]

03 DA DPL Pilot = “not sure”. It’s not DA and it’s not ECNL or DPL rules. It a DPL program designed to keep the DA composite (02/03 age group) on a single year age group team that will play in the DPL and gets to go to a DA showcase and play against the Frontier 03 pilot girls.

DPL = Teams located in the Southwest that are for girls that (1) cannot make the DA team or (2) do not want to play under the DA restrictions. The DPL is a Cal South sanctioned league (i.e. not the the USSDA league). Because DPL is a Cal South league, players qualify for ODP.

ECNL = Teams located in the Southwest that are for elite girls that want to play HS and with less rigid training rules.

Politics and parents not paying club or team fees are the same across all leagues, with the DA moving towards a fully funded program on the boys side and some clubs attempting to do it on the girls side by subsidizing the teams on the backs of the lower level teams.

As we just completed the first year of the Girls DA and DPL, the jury is out as to level of competition. The ECNL also suffered some dilution of talent with teams/talent going to the DA. It will likely take a few years to see how the DA/ECNL battle impacts talent rich SoCal.
MWN - I do enjoy your sarcastic humor. Thanks for your feedback.

You do raise good points and capture the specific language that’s been used to describe what is happening. Your earlier schematic was great.

The point I was making was around the notion of the particular leagues having a specific “program” or not.
From experience and what we see and hear, DA brings a solid structured program which is lacking in most ECNL and DPL clubs and teams, despite not having won over all the most talented and developed players for now. Candidly the quality of the “product” some of those clubs actually deliver is poor vs the expectations promoted. In cases shameful, training 1x/week, poor training, et al.

Do you believe that if DA allowed HS that ECNL and DPL would become clearly “B” leagues?

What are your thoughts on the DPL league vs ECNL?

Your point on the 03 DA Pilot in the frontier leagues vs 03 DPL Pilot in SoCal is well taken. Seems some clubs are adding to the confusion for their advantage.
My point in showing “not sure” referred to whether or not there is a legitimate “program” to go along with the name. No one seems to know if they will require the DA “program” be complied with for allow the ad-hoc, lack of program DPL /ECNL methodology.

Do you believe that if DA allowed HS that ECNL and DPL would become clearly “B” leagues?
Yes, I do. US Soccer is trying to graft the same structure for boys (who potentially have a future in professional soccer) on girls (who really don't have a economically viable professional future). When almost 99.98345% of all girls will never play on the National Team (only 24 will), its absolutely pathetic that the Federation would deprive these young ladies of the opportunity to play with their friends and classmates. If a girl chooses to not play HS, then its her decision. When the vast majority of DA girls will end their career in college, we should not be depriving 99.9% of the DA girls of that opportunity.

What are your thoughts on the DPL league vs ECNL?

DPL is purely an economic play by DA clubs to keep talent in the club with some misleading marketing. The ECNL serves those that don't want to enter the DA's restrictive system much better than the DPL because of the history and national showcase opportunities that are superior to those offered by the DPL. At this time, college coaches look at players in the ECNL as equivalent to the DA and superior to those that play in the DPL. That may change over the course of the next 5 years, but the DPL will always be the ugly step sister.

Your point on the 03 DA Pilot in the frontier leagues vs 03 DPL Pilot in SoCal is well taken. Seems some clubs are adding to the confusion for their advantage.
Absolutely and its dishonest. The DPL adopted a logo that uses the same font and color scheme, markets the DPL along side the DA, etc.

DPL is purely an economic play by DA clubs to keep talent in the club with some misleading marketing. The ECNL serves those that don't want to enter the DA's restrictive system much better than the DPL because of the history and national showcase opportunities that are superior to those offered by the DPL. At this time, college coaches look at players in the ECNL as equivalent to the DA and superior to those that play in the DPL. That may change over the course of the next 5 years, but the DPL will always be the ugly step sister.

I agree with this comment if your live in the OC or San Diego but not in LA or north since there has been no ECNL teams in these areas. The new LA Breakers is a positive step for the west side of LA but there needs to be at least one team north of this area since the traffic to the west side is about the worst in the nation.

I’m hearing that in SoCal, DPL this year will be strong and on par with ECNL. Same people last fall said DPL wasn’t working.......

The 2018/19 DPL club listing includes some solid clubs with solid programs so let’s see how this plays out.

We were out in NJ for the PDA/ECNL showcase and I was surprised to see they had non-ECNL games scheduled in each age bracket. There were plenty of D1 and D2 schools watching those games as well.

I’m hearing that in SoCal, DPL this year will be strong and on par with ECNL. Same people last fall said DPL wasn’t working.......

The 2018/19 DPL club listing includes some solid clubs with solid programs so let’s see how this plays out.

We were out in NJ for the PDA/ECNL showcase and I was surprised to see they had non-ECNL games scheduled in each age bracket. There were plenty of D1 and D2 schools watching those games as well.

It will be a surprise to me if any of the 05 DPL teams in SD can hang with the 2 ECNL teams. The Surf ECNL team will be strong and will likely be able to compete with most of the top 05 DA teams.

Back