How to do two tryouts simultaneously?

It is weird. But don't feel weird. It's the fault of the clubs for even thinking about tryouts while the season is still underway. Your contract typically says something about the season lasting through State Cup. But clubs will look to add players before the calendar turns to another year.

The reason for early tryouts.
For many teams Fall season will be over this weekend. Transfer window opens after Thanksgiving. You can add players anytime before State Cup roster freeze. Whatever your league tells you about players can't leave before State Cup is over, in many cases will be overruled by Cal South transfer rule.

I'll just speak from my experience.....I don't care when other club's tryouts are. If you think there is a better option for you, go take a look. If you are happy with what you are getting with me, I have nothing to worry about.

I can just tell you that I don't care when other clubs are running their tryouts, its the furthest thing from my mind. I'm focused on making my players and teams as good as they can be and the rest will take care of itself. If I provide a good experience for my players and parents then I shouldn't worry about other club's tryouts.

Maybe I'm in the minority here.....
You are in the minority but I agree 100%. Parents ask me what I think, I have no problem telling them what I think. If you are up front with your families then you will have nothing to worry about. I don't mind when new people come out, if they email and ask if they can come out I don't mind. I don't think the families should feel weird unless the coach says he is here to take his spot. If the player is really good, the parents who care are the ones that know they are at the back end of the team. I would never let my kid just go to a tryout, I always send him to at least one practice of the team to get a feel for the kids, coaches, etc.

As for those conspiracy theorists, you are giving way too much credence to them being similar. For all of those that use parks, especially in SD, your usage priority ends 12/31. Clubs then have to take small areas on the outskirts of the baseball and softball fields, not really conducive to holding tryouts. It becomes very, very limited as to what you can do. Obviously, those that have their own facility can do it whenever they want because they don't have to share. Lastly, for those that say teams are picked, I disagree. If I have 10 kids and no new kids come, those kids are good to go. If I have 10 and 4 very good players come, then I am keeping 6. I have never gone into it with my team picked, why limit myself?

Completely agree 100%....Our DD switched teams after State Cup this year, but started training with the new team in November 2016 and guest played in a few tournaments. It was a great way to test drive before making the change....we were able to evaluate the coach, parents, and the kids to make sure it was the right environment for DD and that we could stand the parents.

Why should parents even be a concern?

Is this the new snow fake excuse if your kids doesn't pan out on the team? We now blame Jimmys parents for our kids failures?

Ive been a coach (not soccer) for many years and this is the first and only place ive seen this referenced over and over again.

Its about the kids right? Its also about your son or daughter enjoying their team. Who cares about the parents if its a good situation for the ones who matter.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the confirmation of my inclination to simply get my kiddo involved in some training with coaches who I think might be a good fit.

I know for fact that two clubs schedule at exactly the same time to force commitments.

As for those conspiracy theorists, you are giving way too much credence to them being similar. For all of those that use parks, especially in SD, your usage priority ends 12/31. Clubs then have to take small areas on the outskirts of the baseball and softball fields, not really conducive to holding tryouts. It becomes very, very limited as to what you can do. Obviously, those that have their own facility can do it whenever they want because they don't have to share.

I am sure that LAGSD and Surf having tryouts the same week was a coincidence:

http://lagalaxysd.com/tryout/
http://www.surfsoccer.com/2017/09/15/tryouts-2018/

Had either club realized that they could potentially making it hard for kids to tryout for both they would have moved the dates. Especially since both seem to have control over their fields.

That can’t be true! They love sharing the talent in the ten mile radius. Blasphemy!
You silly conspiracy theorist you!

Well put, but then I would need a clone of myself so I could be at work and at home when she does the driving and laundry. I do my fair share of driving in the evenings after getting home from work. Actually some of the best times spent with the kids as they aren't distracted by other things and you have a chance to chat about their day, about life, or the newest movie hitting the theaters.

Does anyone feel weird attending the practice of another team while still on a team?
Nope

yeah mostly the big clubs who preach "better get in or be left out". people buy into that BS. if your kid is good theyll find a spot. hell theyll find a spot on the money team too. 99% of the time they are full of crap if they say they dont have room unless its academy or a flight 1 with maxed out rosters

If your kid is good. They will make room even on a flight 1 Team

Why should parents even be a concern?

Is this the new snow fake excuse if your kids doesn't pan out on the team? We now blame Jimmys parents for our kids failures?

Ive been a coach (not soccer) for many years and this is the first and only place ive seen this referenced over and over again.

Its about the kids right? Its also about your son or daughter enjoying their team. Who cares about the parents if its a good situation for the ones who matter.

Yes who cares about how obnoxious the parents are? Except... that one in a million parent who makes everyone’s life hell. Yes it happened to me. This parent was constantly hassling the coaching staff to get what he wanted (starting/ more playing time/ offensive position) for his daughter. He would start with a new coach early and subtly working it. His MO was to criticize the other kids as well. This would involve comments dropped to the coaches in conversation, other parents, for example. There were several practices where coaches time was taken up by this parent over talking nonstop to him about his daughter. And you say - I would just get rid of him! Easier said than done. This parent has been able to do this repeatedly to several coaches, and DOCs. Not sure how, but whatever he says/does/threatens - it works

But most annoying, he loved sitting on the sideline of practices and games shouting to the players. He did it just enough that the coach couldn’t hear it consistently, but the girls could. And the other parents.

Every time a girl who he felt his daughter was in competition with touched the ball, he would comment, shout direction, roll his eyes and snort, or ask the parent of the girl why she just lost the ball instead of passing it.

If a coach disagreed with him or didn’t do what he wanted, he would slowly and methodically develop an attack, which usually culminated in a letter/petition to the DOC about the coach with signatures from other parents on the team. Did it work? All I can say is that at the last club, 2 of 3 coaches who coached his daughter are no longer with the club.

So yes, I look around at who the other parents are. Should it matter? No. Does it? Hell, yes.

I am sure that LAGSD and Surf having tryouts the same week was a coincidence:

http://lagalaxysd.com/tryout/
http://www.surfsoccer.com/2017/09/15/tryouts-2018/

Had either club realized that they could potentially making it hard for kids to tryout for both they would have moved the dates. Especially since both seem to have control over their fields.
I believe SDSC is doing that youngers week as well. We have little control over our fields, we had to cancel games in October so they could play a softball tournament. Love those City fields.... The other issue in December is the different winter breaks. Clubs don't want to do it the following week as they might have because that is the start of break for SDUSD and other districts.

Be careful when exploring other clubs while still playing on your current team, sometimes it best to tell your current coach what your doing and others times it is not.
You have coaches that talk to each other at times and the word spreads fast, also parents of other teams sometimes love to talk to each other and start problems, and of course some as innocent conversations, but many as feeling threatened so they want to cause issues. Then you have to remember the players from opposing teams are often friends and will talk over social media.
I personally have found honesty and telling your current coach face to face that your exploring other options is the best example for your child.

Keep in mind a lot of these coaches are major ego maniacs and make everything more about themselves then what's best for you child.
I personally watched a girl literally get kicked off an ALBION Sc team after the coach found out she had attended another clubs practice. This coach Earnie Romero walked up to this 14/15 yr old girl in front of her team and told her to take a hike, he literally did this out loud in front of her team and about 10 other teams he told her "blame your parents it's thier fault!" She was crying and embarrassed as she walked away, he smiled and turned around as if he just won a contest! This was far from the first time or the last time that coach made an example of what happens to little girls that cross him by looking at outside teams. So BEWARE thier are monsters with huge ego's willing to use little kids to prove their all mighty power over children and thier family's.

Still the best way to "try out" is be honest and up front with your current coach and attend other teams training sessions.

Be careful when exploring other clubs while still playing on your current team, sometimes it best to tell your current coach what your doing and others times it is not.
You have coaches that talk to each other at times and the word spreads fast, also parents of other teams sometimes love to talk to each other and start problems, and of course some as innocent conversations, but many as feeling threatened so they want to cause issues. Then you have to remember the players from opposing teams are often friends and will talk over social media.
I personally have found honesty and telling your current coach face to face that your exploring other options is the best example for your child.

Keep in mind a lot of these coaches are major ego maniacs and make everything more about themselves then what's best for you child.
I personally watched a girl literally get kicked off an ALBION Sc team after the coach found out she had attended another clubs practice. This coach Earnie Romero walked up to this 14/15 yr old girl in front of her team and told her to take a hike, he literally did this out loud in front of her team and about 10 other teams he told her "blame your parents it's thier fault!" She was crying and embarrassed as she walked away, he smiled and turned around as if he just won a contest! This was far from the first time or the last time that coach made an example of what happens to little girls that cross him by looking at outside teams. So BEWARE thier are monsters with huge ego's willing to use little kids to prove their all mighty power over children and thier family's.

Still the best way to "try out" is be honest and up front with your current coach and attend other teams training sessions.
Thank you for stating this coach's name. We need more of this.

Reading your posts over the last year, you have a very special kind of bitterness that only comes from being an Albion parent. Yes Romero is a Dbag but Albion is almost cult like...the more loyalty shown by the coach to the club, including making an example of a family, not letting players guest play with other teams, not playing kids that decide not to return next season, etc., the more status the coach gets with Gins.

Still the best way to "try out" is be honest and up front with your current coach and attend other teams training sessions.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Just tell me, I am not going to take it personally. I hate finding out through the "back door channels" that a kid was somewhere. You have to do what is best for your kid and many times that move is not coach related. Honesty by far the best policy.

If your player is a great player, do and say whatever you want. If your player is good, keep your mouth shut and hope no one sees you. And good luck with that.

Yes that is kinda true, but in my home we are more into our children learning to be honest and straight forward instead of arrogant and sneaky. Truth is my kids have never had to "try out" for a single team and yet still today they are as humble as an AYSO player stepping foot into a Club team for the first time. This should be about teaching your children right from wrong at every example available. Keep a clear head and always keep things in perspective, don't buy into the hype.

soooo you never had ANY indication that the coach was this way? never had any suspicions the club ran bizness a certain way? im sure you had a clue since your child was practicing at other clubs. by the way, nothing wrong with a kid practicing somewhere else - not going to sit well with any coach though. this coach sounds like a dbag, should have talked to the parents (you) and not done that. not a secret clubs like Albion, Pats, Surf, Strikers, and more have coaches like this and backed by the clubs

soooo you never had ANY indication that the coach was this way? never had any suspicions the club ran bizness a certain way? im sure you had a clue since your child was practicing at other clubs. by the way, nothing wrong with a kid practicing somewhere else - not going to sit well with any coach though. this coach sounds like a dbag, should have talked to the parents (you) and not done that. not a secret clubs like Albion, Pats, Surf, Strikers, and more have coaches like this and backed by the clubs

Go REREAD the post, I never said it was my kid he did this to.
ER has done crazy stuff to numerous children and families over the past years that would have gotten anyone fired from a real job or business!

Albion cares about building player #'s and money, money & money so as long as these coaches bring in more than they lose per year the system keeps going forward. Albion has proven time and time again they will back anything the coaches do for profit. Albion could care less about the customers as long as the bottom line is in the Black!
They have demoted a few down to coaching B & C level teams if their player retention is less than a certain % at the end of the year. Look at that guy Kooiman he has been demoted down to their very bottom teams, like this guy is cleaning Robb fields homeless toilets and begging to be Earnie Romero's personal water boy! Great to see the scum bags getting what they deserve. Romero has destroyed the girls program, go look at his 2017 team stats, talk to the majority of the players and parents, it is bad, like really bad!

Go REREAD the post, I never said it was my kid he did this to.
ER has done crazy stuff to numerous children and families over the past years that would have gotten anyone fired from a real job or business!

Albion cares about building player #'s and money, money & money so as long as these coaches bring in more than they lose per year the system keeps going forward. Albion has proven time and time again they will back anything the coaches do for profit. Albion could care less about the customers as long as the bottom line is in the Black!
They have demoted a few down to coaching B & C level teams if their player retention is less than a certain % at the end of the year. Look at that guy Kooiman he has been demoted down to their very bottom teams, like this guy is cleaning Robb fields homeless toilets and begging to be Earnie Romero's personal water boy! Great to see the scum bags getting what they deserve. Romero has destroyed the girls program, go look at his 2017 team stats, talk to the majority of the players and parents, it is bad, like really bad!

okay. so even if this wasnt your child, you had a child there? still at the club?

Back