26-0 for a G2015 game, acceptable ?

• Yes

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 82.1%

• Total voters
Yikes. That's terrible.
Happens enough though in the youngers.
Group stage games... GD matters in seeding... It's 2015 so both teams probably trying to figure out what the right level is for their girls... Obviously either the winning team's coach pegged the team too low or the losing coach's team pegged it too high a division...

Ha. I saw this debate ranging in the soccer announcement boards but it didn't have all of the info.
1. It seems like it was the "academy" team (seriously stop with the calling teams that young academy or preacademy or whatever) that was misplaced, not the other two teams since the team in question took two beatings.
2. They are very young. Lopsided games happen at that age. All you need is 1 marquee player to make a difference.
3. What's the tournament rule. Does GD make a difference in seeding? If so that would explain it.

Ha. I saw this debate ranging in the soccer announcement boards but it didn't have all of the info.
1. It seems like it was the "academy" team (seriously stop with the calling teams that young academy or preacademy or whatever) that was misplaced, not the other two teams since the team in question took two beatings.
2. They are very young. Lopsided games happen at that age. All you need is 1 marquee player to make a difference.
3. What's the tournament rule. Does GD make a difference in seeding? If so that would explain it.

Tie Breakers

In case of a tie on points in the standings within State Cup pool play, the following will be used as tiebreakers: 1. “Head to head” points (win/lose/draw) between teams 2. Overall Goal Differential 3. Goals for 4. Goals against 5. Most shutouts 6. Fewest red cards 7. Coin toss If more than two teams are tied, tie-breaker #1 does not apply. Start with tie-breaker #2 until a winner is determined. The tie-breaking procedure does not revert to previous criteria if one team is eliminated.

http://www.socalstatecup.com/_files/SOCAL%20State%20Cup%202023%20jan18.pdf

Mom & dad pay big $$ if kids score these days. IMy dd was on AYSO team one time and every time the girls scored, they ran by the parents looking for change and dollars. They used this money for after season party and prizes. We never lost that season and we scored all the time. No way we went to 26-0. That's cruel and just wrong. Split teams up after 10-0 and make it more competitive.

They need to fix the rules to avoid games like this. Incentives for uncapped goal diff don't help.

Once any team is up by seven, declare a winner and play any remaining time as a mixed scrimmage.

A few thoughts...

1) Not sure what the value is for a Flight 4 team to play in state cup at at U8. Coach has to know he/she is walking into a crapshoot.
2) That, X2, for a U8 flight 4 team to play up a flight in state cup.
3) 3 point system for Ulittles in general is a bad idea. 10 point with the tie breaker first being head to head, then goals allowed, then cards, then PKs would be more humane for lopsided games.
4) 6 brackets in that flight means it's likely that 16 are going through. So either way those top teams are through. Running up the score to win the pool or for seeding (which they don't seem to do anyway) is just ugly. Pass the ball around, work on building from the back, hell, pull a kid off the field. Running up the score like that is just poor form.

They need to fix the rules to avoid games like this. Incentives for uncapped goal diff don't help.

Honestly, that's really the only fix that's needed. Just copy that section of the Norcal State Cup tie-breaker rules:
  • Overall Goal Differential (up to 4)
  • Goals for (up to 4)
  • Goals against (up to 4)
Maybe add a mercy rule for the youngers (no more than 7 goal difference in a game, with rational penalty if breached). Seems like a miss in the rules if there really is an incentive for the coach or team to win by 26-0 (or even 16-0, in the other game).

Was watching my kid's middle-school basketball game today. There are a few kids that play travel-ball competitively outside of school, so the team is decent. We were playing a non-league game with a small private school, and it looked as if the team picked up a basketball for that first time last weekend. Without exaggeration, they became confused about which basket to shoot for several times during the game. We were up 34-2 at halftime. Our kids were instructed to not leave the key to defend, to walk the ball up rather than run, to not intercept passes, pressure to steal, or do anything else remotely fast or aggressive the rest of the game (along with playing the entire bench generously). Ended up 45-5 or so. I imagine watching that 26-0 soccer "game" was equally awkward.

I wonder if the winning coach is trying to make some kind of statement. Like they should always be placed in a higher bracket at tournaments.

Once any team is up by seven, declare a winner and play any remaining time as a mixed scrimmage.

Simple and effective fix right here.

I wonder if the winning coach is trying to make some kind of statement. Like they should always be placed in a higher bracket at tournaments.

That was my thought as well. My DD has been on a team that was consistently put into lower brackets in tournaments because of the clubs past reputation, and not due to the teams level of play. The coach never ran the score up more than 5; once the team got a touch on the ball within the 6 yard line, the ball had to be reset to their Goalie, no one was allowed to take a shot. The problem was that year after year, the organizers would use the past results to rationalize placing the team in a lower bracket, even after the coach/club attempted to get the bracketing changed and explained the team was holding back. The coaches and teams across the region are getting tired of the constant mis-flighting and mis-seeding of teams in State Cup, League, Tournaments, and Showcases. I'm sure many would agree there has been a increase in large GD over the past couple years in all ages and genders. The organizers need to do better. If the leagues are not going to use promotion and relegation in seeding teams, they need to use some type of effective ranking system. Whatever they have been doing is a broken process. The SOCAL League has Flight 3 teams that should probably be in Flight 1, while at the same time, NPL teams that would struggle in Flight 2. SOCAL, let's stop blaming Covid and 2020 for the unbalanced brackets and make some changes.

I remember when I was a kid playing soccer. There were a few lopsided games (when we were the losing side). We really hate it when the winning team is giggling around, passing the ball around playing keep away, goalie becomes striker, playing without goalie, etc.
On these occasions, our team ended up chasing and kicking the other team trying to hurt them. One time our team got multiple red cards so the game ended early. We were happier when the other teams continue to play to win and scored 10, 15 goals with their bench players.
I am not saying 26-0 it is good for kids development but when it happened, the responsibility should be on the organizer and the losing coach, not the winning coach.
Organizer can instruct the ref to stop the game at halftime if the score is 5-0 or more, call both coaches then offer to stop the game.
If the losing coach would like to continue then it is OK too. Sometimes it is good for kids to realize their level.
Under no circumstances we should have a team instructed to disrespect the other team by joking around on the field. It is also not a good lesson for the winning team.

Yea, that's a blowout. But I see many blowouts all over the divisions and flights. So, why call this team out? When is it too much? After 7 goals? Pick a number and have the League publish it for all ages. Boom problem solved.

There are many solutions to the problem. But this is a young age group where many teams are brand new coming from rec. I am sure Legends will move on to F2 next year and play harder competition. They played in F3 in the Fall. They are not playing down.

The losing team should be in F4.

All that said, FRAM vs Legends in the last group game is going to be a good one. May the better team win. I bet there won't be a blowout in that game.

I remember when I was a kid playing soccer. There were a few lopsided games (when we were the losing side). We really hate it when the winning team is giggling around, passing the ball around playing keep away, goalie becomes striker, playing without goalie, etc.
On these occasions, our team ended up chasing and kicking the other team trying to hurt them. One time our team got multiple red cards so the game ended early. We were happier when the other teams continue to play to win and scored 10, 15 goals with their bench players.
I am not saying 26-0 it is good for kids development but when it happened, the responsibility should be on the organizer and the losing coach, not the winning coach.
Organizer can instruct the ref to stop the game at halftime if the score is 5-0 or more, call both coaches then offer to stop the game.
If the losing coach would like to continue then it is OK too. Sometimes it is good for kids to realize their level.
Under no circumstances we should have a team instructed to disrespect the other team by joking around on the field. It is also not a good lesson for the winning team.
What you're describing is the flip side of playing up (ie playing down). When you're on a really good team + able to score at will on your opponent. The natural reaction is for the losing team to start getting physical with the team that's stomping on then.

This is also why top teams try to avoid playing mid or lower level teams. For the top team you learn nothing running circles around the other team + you also risk getting hurt for no real gain.

Some clubs will not allow their teams to score more than 8/10. Some clubs are score as many as possible which is not right In my opinion. I have even seen a parent post "we won 23-0 today lol" on Social media. If my kid is on a team beating another team 23-0 I am moving clubs not celebrating online. Just me.

My son's team was up something like 10-0 in a game once he switched everyone's position. Put the forwards at the back, moved the defenders up top. The trouble is, that when defenders get a chance to score, they really want to score, so the score kept going up.

Then the coach shut them down altogether. Only allowed to pass, no more shooting. It became a full-field game of keep away and the other team never touched the ball. It was even more embarrassing than the blow out because they'd pass to a wide-open player in the box and he'd pass back out again and cycle back and start again. It's not like the other team didn't realize what was happening.

Calling the game at, say, 7-0 and mixing the teams would probably have been best for everyone.

Was watching my kid's middle-school basketball game today. There are a few kids that play travel-ball competitively outside of school, so the team is decent. We were playing a non-league game with a small private school, and it looked as if the team picked up a basketball for that first time last weekend. Without exaggeration, they became confused about which basket to shoot for several times during the game. We were up 34-2 at halftime. Our kids were instructed to not leave the key to defend, to walk the ball up rather than run, to not intercept passes, pressure to steal, or do anything else remotely fast or aggressive the rest of the game (along with playing the entire bench generously). Ended up 45-5 or so. I imagine watching that 26-0 soccer "game" was equally awkward.
I was on the wrong end of one of these once. My high-academic middle school was playing the local high school's freshman team. It was a joke. Final score was something like 65-10 without them hardly trying in the 2nd half. I had all 10 of our points and after the game one of my teammates said, "They must think you're really good." I was like, "No, they think I'm the least sucky player on a really sucky team..."

Back