High School v Club soccer dates for 2016

It's great to have a choice. Some chose HS over club or DA and some chose other way. I think it should be just that - a choice but without all the restrictions CIF have in place. You want to play one or the other - fine. You want to do both - that's great also. Whats wrong with that?
I completely agree Eagle. Why the restrictions? If the individuals schedules work, then it should be the individuals prerogative. IMO

We have tryouts this week. My DD is going to ask today what the practice schedule is the week of Thanksgiving when the kids are out of school

We have tryouts this week. My DD is going to ask today what the practice schedule is the week of Thanksgiving when the kids are out of school
Why would a HS coach schedule training over Thanksgiving? The players have been playing club and training for the last 8 months. Starting on Monday after Thanksgiving will still leave plenty of time for league in January which is all that really matters and getting to CIF and give them a much needed break. And if your kid has been training HS five days a week like I hear of some while playing club I truly feel sorry for you. The coach is an idiot.

I'm not sure if we have practice or not the week of Thanksgiving. I heard from a parent that in the past they had 2 optional practices that week. I was just curios about what others might be doing. My DD would love to play soccer everyday until the end of time.

Why would a HS coach schedule training over Thanksgiving? The players have been playing club and training for the last 8 months....And if your kid has been training HS five days a week like I hear of some while playing club I truly feel sorry for you. The coach is an idiot.

Because most coaches know that they cannot teach or develop anyone in such a short time, and all they want is to build some chemistry for the teams. Many have HS tournament games the very next week. These HS training sessions are light duty, low quality training anyway so all the players know going in.

As for training in club, don't you mean for the past 10 months? You guys actually take 2 months off???

Last, many schools have been training since Sept as soccer is a PE class. It would simply be a continuation of that. My kids HS just finished tryouts last Thurs and practice starts today. Unfortunately, between the league playoffs, TG tournament and CRL games, they will do both club and HS training for the next couple of weeks still... Oh yeah, school work is in there somewhere too!

Because most coaches know that they cannot teach or develop anyone in such a short time, and all they want is to build some chemistry for the teams. Many have HS tournament games the very next week. These HS training sessions are light duty, low quality training anyway so all the players know going in.

As for training in club, don't you mean for the past 10 months? You guys actually take 2 months off???

Last, many schools have been training since Sept as soccer is a PE class. It would simply be a continuation of that. My kids HS just finished tryouts last Thurs and practice starts today. Unfortunately, between the league playoffs, TG tournament and CRL games, they will do both club and HS training for the next couple of weeks still... Oh yeah, school work is in there somewhere too!
So you are implying that practicing over Thanksgiving break is necessary to build team chemistry because it can't be done in the following 4 of 5 weeks before league starts? And when they do start why do you assume they are low quality? If they are such low quality get a new coach.

My kid hasn't had 2 months off since she was 11. She has had situations where she was playing on 4 teams at the same time. She might get lucky and get to take 6 weeks off when college is done. What is your point? Yeah kids actually do need a break. A week off at Thanksgiving would be far more productive in the long run than training.

Good luck with starting practice today. My son has been training twice a week for PE and that's about it cause the HS coach is an outstanding club coach and realizes that too much is too much.

Why would a HS coach schedule training over Thanksgiving? The players have been playing club and training for the last 8 months. Starting on Monday after Thanksgiving will still leave plenty of time for league in January which is all that really matters and getting to CIF and give them a much needed break. And if your kid has been training HS five days a week like I hear of some while playing club I truly feel sorry for you. The coach is an idiot.

I agree with you on this. They don't even train 5 days a week in college.

My son 5 days a week for high school except when specifically not allowed to and then club 3-4 days a week. 16 year olds aren't allowed to be tired. ;-)

So you are implying that practicing over Thanksgiving break is necessary to build team chemistry because it can't be done in the following 4 of 5 weeks before league starts? And when they do start why do you assume they are low quality? If they are such low quality get a new coach.

My kid hasn't had 2 months off since she was 11. She has had situations where she was playing on 4 teams at the same time. She might get lucky and get to take 6 weeks off when college is done. What is your point? Yeah kids actually do need a break. A week off at Thanksgiving would be far more productive in the long run than training.

Good luck with starting practice today. My son has been training twice a week for PE and that's about it cause the HS coach is an outstanding club coach and realizes that too much is too much.

Not implying anything. Just disagreeing with your view as a generalized statement. Your view has a point. There are other views just as valid and perhaps more fitting and appropriate - no more, no less. This is the point.

Clearly you can do the math where I got the two months off from. We're in November and training for 8 months, as you've stated, leaves 3 months but I'd discounted this half of the month.

My son 5 days a week for high school except when specifically not allowed to and then club 3-4 days a week. 16 year olds aren't allowed to be tired. ;-)

I have found that it is their body that gets tired even if their mind and spirit is willing or able. Sort of the reason why the quality of play on the 2nd and 3rd day of a showcase are significantly lower than the first day. I would bet if anybody did a study they would see a higher occurrence of injury on the later days of a showcase too. Fatigue is not ideal for peak performance.

Not implying anything. Just disagreeing with your view as a generalized statement. Your view has a point. There are other views just as valid and perhaps more fitting and appropriate - no more, no less. This is the point.

Clearly you can do the math where I got the two months off from. We're in November and training for 8 months, as you've stated, leaves 3 months but I'd discounted this half of the month.

I think that top players benefit from rest. My player never played in high school preseason camp and only did the summer thing before her senior year because she was a captain and still ended up a high school all american and all of the other associated accolades. This year she wants to make the college cup but is just as excited about going on vacation and getting rest before national team camps and 2nd term begins. For top players this is a marathon not a sprint. No need to burn them out leading into high school.

Imagine a world where, instead of criticizing and abandoning HS soccer, US Soccer actually works with and influences it, implementing changes and establishing guidelines so it does not result in overtraining, more injuries, too many games, and conflicts with DA. In that same world, US Soccer would spend more resources on educating coaches at the youngest ages and improving development there, instead of spending all their time trying to identify the top 0.1% of players at age 12-13, and working with a pool that is neither as talented on average, nor as large, as it should be.

I think that top players benefit from rest. My player never played in high school preseason camp and only did the summer thing before her senior year because she was a captain and still ended up a high school all american and all of the other associated accolades. This year she wants to make the college cup but is just as excited about going on vacation and getting rest before national team camps and 2nd term begins. For top players this is a marathon not a sprint. No need to burn them out leading into high school.

No one is arguing that rest is not needed. Clearly certain amount of down time is good for the body and mind.

The comment was why would HS practice during TG week. One reason not to is for rest. Another view is why some coaches would want to. Just an explanation.

I used to hate high school soccer and still kinda do. However, I have to say that the social aspect of fitting into a team with girls of different ages helped my player adjust to college soccer almost as much as the soccer skills learned through years of club.

Our HS (both girls and boys) had tryouts in the summer. Boys actually have their first scrimmage this week and a game next week. Girls play their first game after the week after Thanksgiving. Teams have been practicing during PE since late August.

My daughters HS team started practice last week - every weekday, and still has club practices. they have their first scrimmage today against another school. My dd is tired and I think its a lot but that's the way all the schools around here are. She does have to miss several preseason games since CRL games go into Dec 11th and therefore she cant play any HS games after Thanksgiving until then.

Back