High School v Club soccer dates for 2016

Buckyballer

SILVER
Does anyone have a link to the exact end of club soccer for the high school players? The CIF site doesn't address club and I want to send my team a link (manager of a 2001 team).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Not sure of the exact date but typically thanksgiving weekend is the last GO for club players playing high school soccer.

In San Diego Section, in the past, Monday after Thanksgiving is the first day allowed for contests. Players who stay with their club or other outside team beyond that date may not play in a contest for a school until after their last club game date, with some exceptions, which have varied from year to year. Other sections may have different rules. Check with local CIF section office for up to date rules.

In San Diego Section, in the past, Monday after Thanksgiving is the first day allowed for contests. Players who stay with their club or other outside team beyond that date may not play in a contest for a school until after their last club game date, with some exceptions, which have varied from year to year. Other sections may have different rules. Check with local CIF section office for up to date rules.

I started with the CIF rules - they give me the date of the first game you can play with High School but NOT the last date you can play with your club. The CIF date on the website is Nov. 14 for a scrimmage and Nov. 21st for a game. It gives me Feb. 8th as the date of the last game. I'm pretty sure though that a club player can play bast the 21st - can play in a tournament after Thanksgiving for example - it is the club date I want. Thanks for your help though.

Correction - from CIF SDS soccer preseason memo sent to all coaches and published on line at http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/2016_pre-season_soccer.pdf

9. COMPETITION DATES
November 23, 2016 - First possible interscholastic scrimmage.
November 25, 2016 – First possible contest.
February 17, 2017 - Last possible pre-playoff competition.
November 25 is Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. It would be interesting to watch what would happen to any coaches who tried to schedule games that weekend.

I started with the CIF rules - they give me the date of the first game you can play with High School but NOT the last date you can play with your club. The CIF date on the website is Nov. 14 for a scrimmage and Nov. 21st for a game. It gives me Feb. 8th as the date of the last game. I'm pretty sure though that a club player can play bast the 21st - can play in a tournament after Thanksgiving for example - it is the club date I want. Thanks for your help though.

Again limiting my response to San Diego Section - it depends on how your local Section rules handle players overlapping their seasons. Historically, the seasons were not allowed to mix, but there are exceptions and rule changes every year. As an example from my own experience - one of my son's high school teammates did not join the roster until after Christmas because his club team was playing in the Disney holiday tournament. My son played in the same tournament, but on an ODP team, so he did not have to wait.

It's actually very simple...Once you played first official HS game (pre-season or season), you CAN NOT play for your club team until HS season is over. It could be in February or March, depending if you are on Varsity or not and how far you go into Playoffs.

It's actually very simple...Once you played first official HS game (pre-season or season), you CAN NOT play for your club team until HS season is over. It could be in February or March, depending if you are on Varsity or not and how far you go into Playoffs.

I think that is until "your" players HS season is over. In the past, at least, some kids have been known to choose returning to club over completing HS season. Often with consequences of course, but the problem is on the HS side, not the club side - or was, at least. Perhaps things have changed.

I think that is until "your" players HS season is over. In the past, at least, some kids have been known to choose returning to club over completing HS season. Often with consequences of course, but the problem is on the HS side, not the club side - or was, at least. Perhaps things have changed.

High school Seniors, even those who have not played HS because of DA rule against it, have been known to quit their DA teams in November or December and join their HS team for one last fling. By that time DA has little left to offer, and CIF doesn't care.

High school Seniors, even those who have not played HS because of DA rule against it, have been known to quit their DA teams in November or December and join their HS team for one last fling. By that time DA has little left to offer, and CIF doesn't care.

Exactly. It has cut both ways as well. I've known of a few Juniors who felt they needed one last good look leave a play-off HS team to do Vegas or other "showcase" tournies.

It used to be (and I would guess still is) that you become ineligible for further HS play "that season" once you return to an official club competition. If your coach doesn't care, you can always play again as a senior, after you are "in" a college and club is irrelevant. I know on the boys side some boys clubs (DA?) have more restrictions about HS play, but on the girls side most clubs don't (didn't anyway) restrict HS play too much.

Significantly different rules between the San Diego and Southern sections regarding outside participation. Go to the primary source documents for each section and read for yourselves.

SDS Green Book: http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/greenbook_2016-17__1_.pdf
SS Blue Book: http://cifss.org/resources/blue-book/

San Diego Section: HS players in their season of sport cannot even practice with an outside (i.e.club) team. See Rule 600.1.c (pg 47 of the SDS Green Book). The penalty is becoming ineligible for twice the number of games or practices they participated in with their club (Rule 601.1.A on pg 49).

Southern Section: HS players in their season of sport cannot play a game with an outside (i.e.club) team. See Rule 600 of the SS Blue Book. The penalty is becoming ineligible for twice the number of games they participated in with their club team.

Season of sport: The definition is the same for both SDS and SS. "The season of sport for any individual student is that period of time which elapses between the student’s first participation in an interscholastic contest and the student’s final participation in a contest for that particular sport in that season. (Rule 504.A).

Note that both sections permit one scrimmage and it doesn't count as a contest (i.e. game). Scrimmages must be conducted prior to the first game of the season (non-league, league or tournament). Typically many schools will play one scrimmage during Thanksgiving week. Then a club player can participate in the scrimmage with his/her HS team and play in November Nights, Surf or Silver Lakes showcases with their club team and not incur an eligibility penalty.

Correction - from CIF SDS soccer preseason memo sent to all coaches and published on line at http://www.cifsds.org/uploads/2/3/3/6/23368454/2016_pre-season_soccer.pdf

9. COMPETITION DATES
November 23, 2016 - First possible interscholastic scrimmage.
November 25, 2016 – First possible contest.
February 17, 2017 - Last possible pre-playoff competition.
November 25 is Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. It would be interesting to watch what would happen to any coaches who tried to schedule games that weekend.

In the Southern Section the corresponding dates are:
November 21, 2016: Date of First Contest. In the past the Thanksgiving Monday has been permitted for scrimmages with date of first contest being Tuesday so this is a slight change.
February 9, 2016: Date of last league contest
March 11, 2017: Date of last possible CIF SoCal Regional competition

I have a HS varsity boys vs Alumni match assignment for Black Friday afternoon. Haven't heard of anything scheduled for Saturday.

Exactly. It has cut both ways as well. I've known of a few Juniors who felt they needed one last good look leave a play-off HS team to do Vegas or other "showcase" tournies.

It used to be (and I would guess still is) that you become ineligible for further HS play "that season" once you return to an official club competition. If your coach doesn't care, you can always play again as a senior, after you are "in" a college and club is irrelevant. I know on the boys side some boys clubs (DA?) have more restrictions about HS play, but on the girls side most clubs don't (didn't anyway) restrict HS play too much.
What do you mean? Girls DA is new isn't it? What was to restrict before?

In the Southern Section the corresponding dates are:
November 21, 2016: Date of First Contest. In the past the Thanksgiving Monday has been permitted for scrimmages with date of first contest being Tuesday so this is a slight change.
February 9, 2016: Date of last league contest
March 11, 2017: Date of last possible CIF SoCal Regional competition

I have a HS varsity boys vs Alumni match assignment for Black Friday afternoon. Haven't heard of anything scheduled for Saturday.
I found that too - one more question - do you have to 'get released' from the Online Registration System prior to playing in your first high school game?

It's great to have a choice. Some chose HS over club or DA and some chose other way. I think it should be just that - a choice but without all the restrictions CIF have in place. You want to play one or the other - fine. You want to do both - that's great also. Whats wrong with that?

It's great to have a choice. Some chose HS over club or DA and some chose other way. I think it should be just that - a choice but without all the restrictions CIF have in place. You want to play one or the other - fine. You want to do both - that's great also. Whats wrong with that?

Time.

Back