High School Ref Strike

So when I pay $10 or $12, whatever it was, to sit and watch my own kid play a high school soccer game, where does that money go? I know there's probably an average of 75-100 parents in the stands, but that pays for more than keeping lights on, right?

Does everybody else here pay to watch high school matches?

High school soccer referees to boycott 2023-24 CIF-Southern Section season over pay dispute

Local soccer officials have voted to boycott the 2023-24 high school soccer season, two weeks before CIF-Southern Section matches are scheduled to kick off.

The vote of Unit I of the Southern California Soccer Officials Association, which serves schools from Goleta to Calabasas, in Oxnard on Wednesday night was unanimous.

Officials have been vocal about their unhappiness with their pay since the CIF-SS approved a new fee structure in January 2022 and have threatened a work stoppage for more than a year.

Unable to engage CIF-SS in discussions, referees went directly to local schools in September, serving notice that they would charge $105 per game this coming season, rising to $130 in 2025-26, while assistant referees would make $85 this season, rising to $100 in 2025-2026..

“As independent contractors, we have the right to determine our rate for services,” unit president Nico Esquivel wrote to schools. “As the service receiver, you have the right to secure your own officials if you do not approve of the rate for service.”

But CIF-SS has told schools that they are not allowed to stray from their fee structure.

“We’re being told you can’t pay more,” Camarillo principal Matt La Belle said.

High school soccer referees to boycott 2023-24 CIF-Southern Section season over pay dispute

Local soccer officials have voted to boycott the 2023-24 high school soccer season, two weeks before CIF-Southern Section matches are scheduled to kick off.

The vote of Unit I of the Southern California Soccer Officials Association, which serves schools from Goleta to Calabasas, in Oxnard on Wednesday night was unanimous.

Officials have been vocal about their unhappiness with their pay since the CIF-SS approved a new fee structure in January 2022 and have threatened a work stoppage for more than a year.

Unable to engage CIF-SS in discussions, referees went directly to local schools in September, serving notice that they would charge $105 per game this coming season, rising to $130 in 2025-26, while assistant referees would make $85 this season, rising to $100 in 2025-2026..

“As independent contractors, we have the right to determine our rate for services,” unit president Nico Esquivel wrote to schools. “As the service receiver, you have the right to secure your own officials if you do not approve of the rate for service.”

But CIF-SS has told schools that they are not allowed to stray from their fee structure.

“We’re being told you can’t pay more,” Camarillo principal Matt La Belle said.
CIF has problems. Pay the refs more with more training on safety first and then how and when to pull the cards to set the tone. If you allow Soccer Rugby (lacerations, broken bones and the like) early in the game, then you got problems. I say each school take up a special collection offering pass the plate around in the stands or a "tip" for a job well done after each game. Base pay and then collection bonus from parents. This is stupid and another dumb thing soccer does to the girls. They just want to play and have fun with their schoolmates. The girls break their bones while the refs make money. What do the girls get for all their hard work this pre-season? No refs.... Good job everyone. Use the girls again to make money. Sad!!!

For the refs out there...are these numbers correct? So for a 3-man crew the total would be $275 per game? ECNL/RL currently pays $180. And for the record, I have no issue with leagues paying refs more.

For the refs out there...are these numbers correct? So for a 3-man crew the total would be $275 per game? ECNL/RL currently pays $180. And for the record, I have no issue with leagues paying refs more.
I don't know, but every high school game I've seen is only 2 refs, so it's something like $190 per game

We yell in South OC for our daughter's safety first and our kids did not sign up for Rugby. That's a different sport & a different dad in the stands, trust me. My dd has been knocked out by dirty players and no call from refs or no cards. I guess when she broke her foot from a dirty push from behind and no card, just a "hey now, be careful" I should just sit and saying nothing, and she is screaming in pain. With all due respect sir, I let the opposing coach, the ref and the player know 100% that was dirty and uncalled for and now my dd is out for the rest of the year. These cheaters targeted my kid and the ref swallowed his whistle and I was not happy. Sorry about that. My father-in-law refed for 30 years for HSS and Club. Even he yelled at the refs and he was one.
Keep telling yourself all the stories you need to justify your behavior. With your kind of experience and knowledge you should be out there making the game safer by being a ref. More refs are needed than whiners.

Keep telling yourself all the stories you need to justify your behavior. With your kind of experience and knowledge you should be out there making the game safer by being a ref. More refs are needed than whiners.
The dirty push from behind allows me to justify my rebuke of the dumb refs. Are you that Ref? The dude called a ful only. There is video proof of dirty push from behind, which caused my dd to break her foot during a very important time in her recruiting to Big U. I have every right to yell at the ref who only called a foul. That dirty player should have been given a Red and told to go play Rugby. Lastly, I would never ref soccer. I did ref basketball, and I took my share of yells from parents. I missed a few calls and made some wrong calls, I'm only human. Why are soccer refs so sensitive? Toughen up Toch and learn to pull the cards out early to stop dirty players from cheating.

Everyone is screaming for refs to hand out yellows and reds to keep games under control + stop teams that rely on being physical over skills for wins.

I don't get why youth refs are fighting back on this one. At the highest levels of soccer everything is scrutinized + there's even VAR to review fouls + questionable plays. Why is youth soccer being refd differently than professional soccer? It doesn't make sense.

I even hear about refs complaining that parents are out of control yelling at them. When this happens what's stopping you from giving a yellow? If it continues what's stopping you from giving a red? If it continues what's stopping you from canceling the game? This isn't hard there are ways to address refs just don't want to do their job.

I don't get why youth refs are fighting back on this one. At the highest levels of soccer everything is scrutinized + there's even VAR to review fouls + questionable plays. Why is youth soccer being refd differently than professional soccer? It doesn't make sense.
So you want VAR for youth soccer? Of course professional games are ref'd differently than youth.

So you want VAR for youth soccer? Of course professional games are ref'd differently than youth.
I want calls to be the same for all age groups regardless of VAR or not having VAR.

In the Pros if a player sneezes on someone from the other team its a foul. At the youth level players can saddle up and ride opponents all over the field. Why is this being allowed? Why are the calls being made so different?

I want calls to be the same for all age groups regardless of VAR or not having VAR.

In the Pros if a player sneezes on someone from the other team its a foul. At the youth level players can saddle up and ride opponents all over the field. Why is this being allowed? Why are the calls being made so different?
Games are absolutely going to be called differently between youth and pro. There's a reason why yellow and red cards are rare for U-littles...they do not have the same intent or body control as olders or pros. I would echo Toch's sentiment above that you should try being a ref...it's a lot harder than it looks. I think ALL youth soccer parents should be required to 1.) ref games and 2.) play soccer so that they know how hard it is to do both. A tell-tale sign that a parent has never played soccer is when they are screaming at kids to run in 95 degree heat deep into the second half.

Games are absolutely going to be called differently between youth and pro. There's a reason why yellow and red cards are rare for U-littles...they do not have the same intent or body control as olders or pros. I would echo Toch's sentiment above that you should try being a ref...it's a lot harder than it looks. I think ALL youth soccer parents should be required to 1.) ref games and 2.) play soccer so that they know how hard it is to do both. A tell-tale sign that a parent has never played soccer is when they are screaming at kids to run in 95 degree heat deep into the second half.
So because a child has less control over their body it's ok to allow aggressive play to the point where skill isn't required to win? That doesn't make sense.

Refs should be calling fouls more often on children because they have less control of their bodies. This would force/encourage skilled play.

Players shouldn't have to accept the fact that just because they're skilled players they have to put up with getting hurt because their opponents aren't skilled.

Kids have the same intent as adults when they try to trip, grab jerseys, throw their bodies into other players. I can understand if a ref thinks someone accidentally fell because it was slippery due to rain....but I've seen concussions happen because kids intended to throw themselves recklessly against other players due to frustration and no call by refs. Maybe U10 and below, there's leniency but call it at u11 and above.

I don't yell at the refs but I definitely agree with the sentiment that refs are sexist and think all girls are angels and didn't intend to cause harm. A ref's job is not to read someone's mind but just judge the actions. If a girl's body is thrown into another's back or front, it's a minimum yellow. If cleats up sliding into a girl, it's a red.

Why are we ok with allowing our youth to hurt each other on the pitch but not the pros? If I had to choose, I'd rather the pros get hurt because they make money from it and are already good at soccer.

it seems like an agreement has been put in place and the refs will be back on the high school fields this week
Glad to hear this.... one of my kids varsity game (scrimmage) had two "volunteers" as AR's and it went as well as you can imagine. Although to be fair sometimes the refs at high levels aren't that impressive either.

So because a child has less control over their body it's ok to allow aggressive play to the point where skill isn't required to win? That doesn't make sense.

Refs should be calling fouls more often on children because they have less control of their bodies. This would force/encourage skilled play.

Players shouldn't have to accept the fact that just because they're skilled players they have to put up with getting hurt because their opponents aren't skilled.
A foul is a foul...that remains constant. But intent is taken into account when dishing out cards. If a 9 year old just makes a bumbling tackle then a talking-to will probably be more effective than a card.

Back