High School Ref Strike

Frank

GOLD
It’s a big topic around the ref world. I expect a lot of discussion on this. Very much hoping that there is no strike.

Apparently HS soccer refs are lowest payed refs vs all other HS sports. So few unhappy refs wanted to go on strike to get more money. CIF-SS commissioner sent a message that there is no more money and if they go on strike, coaches are free to referee themselves or hire outside referees. That pissed off current HS referees, so strike is likely to happen.

Apparently HS soccer refs are lowest payed refs vs all other HS sports. So few unhappy refs wanted to go on strike to get more money. CIF-SS commissioner sent a message that there is no more money and if they go on strike, coaches are free to referee themselves or hire outside referees. That pissed off current HS referees, so strike is likely to happen.
They are under paid and it's a thankless job, unless you have confidence and know how to manage a game with crazy people. The biggest problem is the refs need more scratch for the abuse they have to endure. Most parents are clueless and just scream at the ref when things don't go their kids way. Plus, coach is yelling at ref all game because the AD told him win or get fired this year. If ref is slow and not up to par, he or she will be yelled at from the players as well. Basically, the ref is being yelled at for one in half hours. Then they go home, and the spouse yells at them because they didn't take off their dirty cleats from the match. In all seriousness, Fast Food is paying $20 an hour and I would just do that instead. Or, better off being a greeter at Walmart or a receipt checker at Costco. I support getting the best and pay more for the best. Take up a "special" collection at the gate for bonus pay and no yelling at the refs.

They are under paid and it's a thankless job, unless you have confidence and know how to manage a game with crazy people. The biggest problem is the refs need more scratch for the abuse they have to endure. Most parents are clueless and just scream at the ref when things don't go their kids way. Plus, coach is yelling at ref all game because the AD told him win or get fired this year. If ref is slow and not up to par, he or she will be yelled at from the players as well. Basically, the ref is being yelled at for one in half hours. Then they go home, and the spouse yells at them because they didn't take off their dirty cleats from the match. In all seriousness, Fast Food is paying $20 an hour and I would just do that instead. Or, better off being a greeter at Walmart or a receipt checker at Costco. I support getting the best and pay more for the best. Take up a "special" collection at the gate for bonus pay and no yelling at the refs.
All the ref has to do is stop the game + tell each coach that they're going to yellow card the fans + ask coaches to relay to the spectators. Do this one time and 90% of the nonsense stops.

All the ref has to do is stop the game + tell each coach that they're going to yellow card the fans + ask coaches to relay to the spectators. Do this one time and 90% of the nonsense stops.
100% Cralsbad. Plus, hand out Yellow Cards & Red Cards until kids play the game the right way. The HS Refs let the girls beat the crap out of each other. I watched it for 4 years. I did yell a lot at the refs, mostly because they called nothing. "Play on" they would say and then it got ugly. School rivalries for the girls is no joke. I see a business opportunity for a good refs organization. Well trained and well paid. We can call it, "Good Refs." Teach the good refs to call a tight game, pay the refs more and you got yourself a little biz. CIF is poor so you have to go to the boosters and the parents and do a little GoFundMe for "Good Refs." It's worth it. Time to invest in better. How many "good refs" you think out of 10 HS Refs? My father-in-law did the HS Ref and club ref for almost 30 years. He demanded respect from everyone and called the game tight. He said the refs today are slow, out of shape, don't study up on the new rules and just look for that extra side hustle. He said parents are out of control. He goes to see his Grand Son from time to time and it's insane. The parents are yelling louder and with more anger.

Sounds like it is currently specific to CIF-SS schools...

"The Southern Section doesn’t want to raise officiating fees to match the L.A. City Section (LAUSD), which pays JV referees $75 and varsity referees $88. By contrast referees at private schools via the Southern Section pay JV referees $61 for a 70-minute game and varsity officials make $75 for an 80-minute game."

Is the $88 for all three refs each (CR plus AR's)? This does not sound that bad when comparing to $180 paid to all three refs for 80 minute ECNL game. CIF-SS commissioner asking schools to prepare for coaches or parents to ref games...which is not going to happen.

"The Southern Section doesn’t want to raise officiating fees to match the L.A. City Section (LAUSD), which pays JV referees $75 and varsity referees $88. By contrast referees at private schools via the Southern Section pay JV referees $61 for a 70-minute game and varsity officials make $75 for an 80-minute game."
Add the breaks in between and the drive to some of these schools in OC, at its two + hours of hell. During a big-league match back a few years ago, one ref quit during the game. He and the coaches from both teams were yelling at the head ref because this ref called absolutely nothing. I think he left his whistle in the car. Anyway, parents from both sides were screaming at this man as were the players. One girl already left the stadium to head to ER from a broken leg. Another player tore her ACL right before the half. I begged my dd to come out and just watch from the sidelines and there was no way she would. This was now a soccer war. People told ref he better call something or things are going to worse. The side ref (who should have been head ref) had to go smack the head ref around and told him he's doing a lousy job. Dude quit midway through second half after another player was carted off. She never returned but played the next game. Our little school had no subs left from all the injuries.

Is the $88 for all three refs each (CR plus AR's)? This does not sound that bad when comparing to $180 paid to all three refs for 80 minute ECNL game. CIF-SS commissioner asking schools to prepare for coaches or parents to ref games...which is not going to happen.
I'll ref for $88 a match, no problem. Hire me, I could use some help right about now. I will be a Ref Scab 100%

100% Cralsbad. Plus, hand out Yellow Cards & Red Cards until kids play the game the right way. The HS Refs let the girls beat the crap out of each other. I watched it for 4 years. I did yell a lot at the refs, mostly because they called nothing. "Play on" they would say and then it got ugly. School rivalries for the girls is no joke. I see a business opportunity for a good refs organization. Well trained and well paid. We can call it, "Good Refs." Teach the good refs to call a tight game, pay the refs more and you got yourself a little biz. CIF is poor so you have to go to the boosters and the parents and do a little GoFundMe for "Good Refs." It's worth it. Time to invest in better. How many "good refs" you think out of 10 HS Refs? My father-in-law did the HS Ref and club ref for almost 30 years. He demanded respect from everyone and called the game tight. He said the refs today are slow, out of shape, don't study up on the new rules and just look for that extra side hustle. He said parents are out of control. He goes to see his Grand Son from time to time and it's insane. The parents are yelling louder and with more anger.
Why, why, why, do soccer coaches and parents feel the need to yell at the refs. This past weekend I attended a college rugby game and club lacrosse game. All of the players and coaches were respectful to the game officials and did not argue or yell at them. I was surprised that NO spectators yelled at the game officials. Why can’t soccer coaches and spectators just enjoy the game and not yell at the referees.

San Diego section referees were told not to work games for schools involved in the strike. If caught working for a strike school, the referee will not be assigned San Diego games.

The schools are taking a liability gamble if they have an unqualified person referee the game. HS referees are required to attend 20 hours of training each year and concussion training. If you do not like the current level of HS referees, you will absolutely hate it when there are three parents out there trying to officiate the game.

Why, why, why, do soccer coaches and parents feel the need to yell at the refs. This past weekend I attended a college rugby game and club lacrosse game. All of the players and coaches were respectful to the game officials and did not argue or yell at them. I was surprised that NO spectators yelled at the game officials. Why can’t soccer coaches and spectators just enjoy the game and not yell at the referees.
I yelled because of safety concerns Surfref. My AD hated me because I told him to do a better job of finding refs in HS that knew what they were doing. We had a few that took control of the game, and no one got hurt. I saw many ACL injuries, concussions, broken legs, broken wrists and much much more. I'm talking High School soccer refs. I did yell a few times in club when my dd was smashed, pushed and knocked to the ground because that's one way to defend her. If you try this dangerous play in Spain, you will be shown a yellow. No change, then Red. If it gets worse, you will be asked to go play Rugby, where you can tackle and knock folks on the ground and no parents will yell at the refs.

The schools are taking a liability gamble if they have an unqualified person referee the game. HS referees are required to attend 20 hours of training each year and concussion training. If you do not like the current level of HS referees, you will absolutely hate it when there are three parents out there trying to officiate the game.
Sorry Ref, many of the refs we got now are not qualified to ref soccer. I watched 4 years straight. It was bad and I mean bad.

Sorry Ref, many of the refs we got now are not qualified to ref soccer. I watched 4 years straight. It was bad and I mean bad.
90 percent of HS refs are either club or college refs or both. I am not sure what area you are in, but in my area all of the refs work at least club. There are only two subpar refs that I know of in our area and I have them on my block list. You mentioned ACL injuries in your other post. All of the knee injuries I have witnessed over the past 10 years have been non-contact injuries. The majority were due to the wrong type of cleats on artificial turf. If a kid is playing HS soccer on artificial turf fields, they should have the proper cleats and not firm ground bladed cleats.

I am a huge rugby fan and have never seen a soccer game come close to the physicality of a rugby game. The women’s college rugby game I watch last Friday had two concussions, broken finger, back injury, forearm laceration and a lacerated eyebrow. Both lacerations required stitches and were caused by their own teammates. All those injuries and NO ONE yelled at the game officials.

90 percent of HS refs are either club or college refs or both. I am not sure what area you are in, but in my area all of the refs work at least club. There are only two subpar refs that I know of in our area and I have them on my block list. You mentioned ACL injuries in your other post. All of the knee injuries I have witnessed over the past 10 years have been non-contact injuries. The majority were due to the wrong type of cleats on artificial turf. If a kid is playing HS soccer on artificial turf fields, they should have the proper cleats and not firm ground bladed cleats.

I am a huge rugby fan and have never seen a soccer game come close to the physicality of a rugby game. The women’s college rugby game I watch last Friday had two concussions, broken finger, back injury, forearm laceration and a lacerated eyebrow. Both lacerations required stitches and were caused by their own teammates. All those injuries and NO ONE yelled at the game officials.
We yell in South OC for our daughter's safety first and our kids did not sign up for Rugby. That's a different sport & a different dad in the stands, trust me. My dd has been knocked out by dirty players and no call from refs or no cards. I guess when she broke her foot from a dirty push from behind and no card, just a "hey now, be careful" I should just sit and saying nothing, and she is screaming in pain. With all due respect sir, I let the opposing coach, the ref and the player know 100% that was dirty and uncalled for and now my dd is out for the rest of the year. These cheaters targeted my kid and the ref swallowed his whistle and I was not happy. Sorry about that. My father-in-law refed for 30 years for HSS and Club. Even he yelled at the refs and he was one.

People don't yell at Rugby or Lacross refs because nobody understands the rules.

Also as you go further east parents understand men's Lacrosse + do yell at the refs for bad calls. I don't think anyone understands womens Lacrosse (even the players, refs, and coaches) so if that's what you were watching it would make sense.

Back