High School Ref Strike

We yell in South OC for our daughter's safety first and our kids did not sign up for Rugby. That's a different sport & a different dad in the stands, trust me. My dd has been knocked out by dirty players and no call from refs or no cards. I guess when she broke her foot from a dirty push from behind and no card, just a "hey now, be careful" I should just sit and saying nothing, and she is screaming in pain. With all due respect sir, I let the opposing coach, the ref and the player know 100% that was dirty and uncalled for and now my dd is out for the rest of the year. These cheaters targeted my kid and the ref swallowed his whistle and I was not happy. Sorry about that. My father-in-law refed for 30 years for HSS and Club. Even he yelled at the refs and he was one.
Sure.

Hey Tea Boy, watch this video. Amazing goal to advance to end the regular season. At the 1:31 mark, you can see my #7 walking on crutches. Gee, I wonder what happen a few games ago. The dirty push from behind from the dirty rugby kickball player caused this. The ref just gave a free kick and the player continued to injure other players. The fact is, we all saw the dirty push. My daughter was crying in pain. I rushed to the field and gave the ref a stern rebuke. Our coach did as well. Someone has to say something. She was carted off the field on a golf cart to our car so we can take her to ER dumb dumb. Come on man, I'm not here to lie to you and the others. How long you been ref?

(2) Laguna Beach Lady Breakers Celebrate Senior Night 2021 Memories of a Lifetime High School Soccer OC - YouTube

Last edited:
Soccer is a very physical game. Watch the games going in college on ESPN+. Thankfully very little dirty play, but there is cleats to ankles, pushing, shoving, grabbing. High school is worse because you have huge differences in talent, players that get shown up and don't have technical ability get more physical. Injuries will happen more often in High School.

Soccer is a very physical game. Watch the games going in college on ESPN+. Thankfully very little dirty play, but there is cleats to ankles, pushing, shoving, grabbing. High school is worse because you have huge differences in talent, players that get shown up and don't have technical ability get more physical. Injuries will happen more often in High School.
Trust me, I played basketball and all the hackers that tried to stop me. I played high level adult league bro (ex college players), and they would always have a brut beast on their squad to collect 5 hard fouls on the opposing team's best player. Hack city. I'm not talking about playing hard nose and tough and all that. I'm talking about faking out this player all first half only to receive the dirty push from behind to cause a little fracture to her foot. I said broke, but it was better than a sprain ankle the Doc said. It was bush league, and the ref was stupid for just calling a foul. I asked him, "Did you not see the push from behind" and he yelled at coach and said, "This parent is in violation and must leave the field at once or else" I looked straight in his eyes and said, "after I get my daughter off these dangerous fields sir." Golf cart came and we got the hell out of dodge and over to ER. It's plays like that that deserve a automatic RED CARD and a sit out the next game.

Last edited:
Trust me, I played basketball and all the hackers that tried to stop me. I played high level adult league bro (ex college players), and they would always have a brut beast on their squad to collect 5 hard fouls on the opposing team's best player. Hack city. I'm not talking about playing hard nose and tough and all that. I'm talking about faking out this player all first half only to receive the dirty push from behind to cause a little fracture to her foot. I said broke, but it was better than a sprain ankle the Doc said. It was bush league, and the ref was stupid for just calling a foul. I asked him, "Did you not see the push from behind" and he yelled at coach and said, "This parent is in violation and must leave the field at once or else" I looked straight in his eyes and said, "after I get my daughter off these dangerous fields sir." Golf cart came and we got the hell out of dodge and over to ER. It's plays like that that deserve a automatic RED CARD and a sit out the next game.
Red card for a push. Okay buddy.

And now we've gone from broken foot to a little fracture

"I looked straight in his eyes and said, "after I get my daughter off these dangerous fields sir."

What a hero! :D

Red card for a push. Okay buddy.

And now we've gone from broken foot to a little fracture

What a hero! :D
Bone fractures, big or small can cause problems for soccer players and you need to stay off the fractured or broken foot for 3-6 weeks. This injury is come on in soccer and can happen to anyone (especially soccer players that get pushed from behind), at any time. Seeking treatment for fractures is very important in order to ensure healing takes place as quickly as possible. A fracture refers to an injury or break to the bones. There are many types of fractures, ranging from small hairline fractures to traumatic bone breaks. Although minor fractures can heal on their own, more serious fractures will require surgery. (My dd had a moderate fracture. Got invited to a very nice ID Camp and did very well. However, she was slowed by her fracture, by the dirty push), Why do you care Tea Biscuit?

If you’ve experienced a fracture (I sprained my ankle 6 weeks ago) in your foot and/or ankle, you’ll need to be treated by an orthopedic surgeon who has knowledge of the intricate workings of the bones, tendons, ligaments and muscles of the foot and ankle. The multidisciplinary team at the Penn Fracture Clinic is highly skilled in the latest surgical techniques for even the most difficult-to-treat fractures, including complex non-union fractures. My kid was a moderate little fracture on her foot, in a little area of the bone, but a very important part when a soccer player puts weight on it. It hurt like hell loser and the crying in pain was hard to take. The ref only called a foul. Let it go Tea Biscut, gee wiz....

So when I pay $10 or $12, whatever it was, to sit and watch my own kid play a high school soccer game, where does that money go? I know there's probably an average of 75-100 parents in the stands, but that pays for more than keeping lights on, right?

Does everybody else here pay to watch high school matches?

I've never had to pay to watch a HS soccer game in Los Angeles. Maybe they charge for CIF playoff games. Of course, most games are in the afternoon and they are lucky if anyone shows up to watch them at all, but I can't recall having to pay to watch night games either. At most, I've had to pay for parking if the game was held at a college field.

I do feel your frustration about your DD getting injured during a foul. My DD suffered a few fractures while being fouled. The referees got the calls correct. One yellow card and two fouls. The only injury the referee got the call wrong was a concussion while she was playing in college. Should have been a yellow card and he called nothing. He got dropped as college referee the following season due to multiple complaints from college coaches and poor assessment.

Referees have criteria we must follow when calling fouls and issuing yellow and red cards. The fact that a player gets injured due to a foul does not push it from a simple careless foul to a red card. The only criteria I can think of that would result in a red card for a push from behind would be if the push used excessive force to the back or the head. Almost all pushing from behind will result in either a foul or foul-yellow card. I am not sure what constitutes a “dirty” push, but “dirty” is not listed in any foul criteria in the HS rules or LOTG. Can you explain what you mean by “dirty” such as what part of the body (hips, lower back, upper back, shoulders, neck, head) was pushed, position on the field, number of defenders between player and the goal.

A parent that comes uninvited out of the stands and onto the field is a problem. Referees do not know if that parent just wants to help their kid, physically or verbally attack the player who committed the foul or physical or verbally attack the referee. I have seen all of those scenarios occur. The coach is responsible for controlling their spectator. The coach(s) and athletic trainer(s) should be the nay ones entering the field to care for an injured player.

I do feel your frustration about your DD getting injured during a foul. My DD suffered a few fractures while being fouled. The referees got the calls correct. One yellow card and two fouls. The only injury the referee got the call wrong was a concussion while she was playing in college. Should have been a yellow card and he called nothing. He got dropped as college referee the following season due to multiple complaints from college coaches and poor assessment.

Referees have criteria we must follow when calling fouls and issuing yellow and red cards. The fact that a player gets injured due to a foul does not push it from a simple careless foul to a red card. The only criteria I can think of that would result in a red card for a push from behind would be if the push used excessive force to the back or the head. Almost all pushing from behind will result in either a foul or foul-yellow card. I am not sure what constitutes a “dirty” push, but “dirty” is not listed in any foul criteria in the HS rules or LOTG. Can you explain what you mean by “dirty” such as what part of the body (hips, lower back, upper back, shoulders, neck, head) was pushed, position on the field, number of defenders between player and the goal.

A parent that comes uninvited out of the stands and onto the field is a problem. Referees do not know if that parent just wants to help their kid, physically or verbally attack the player who committed the foul or physical or verbally attack the referee. I have seen all of those scenarios occur. The coach is responsible for controlling their spectator. The coach(s) and athletic trainer(s) should be the nay ones entering the field to care for an injured player.
It wasn't a foul Surfref. It was a dirty play, big difference. Everyone saw the dirty play. In fact, the AD had to apologies to my kid after her email. I came onto the field to help my daughter with her injury and that was my instincts taking over. I have never been in a fight except the one in 4th grade and I lost.

It wasn't a foul Surfref. It was a dirty play, big difference. Everyone saw the dirty play. In fact, the AD had to apologies to my kid after her email. I came onto the field to help my daughter with her injury and that was my instincts taking over. I have never been in a fight except the one in 4th grade and I lost.
So, you misunderstood my post. A dirty push is a foul. I was curious as to how a pushing foul could be elevated to an ejection (red card). A “dirty push” does not really tell us what happened. I am assuming the defender pushed from behind. Was the push just two hands to the back or a push to the head or neck? I may give a red card if the push was to the back of the head. The resulting injury does not factor into the criteria a referee uses to determine if it is a pushing foul and if a card is needed.

I did not accuse you of going onto the field to fight the referee. What I said is that a referee never knows the intention of a parent entering the field uninvited and a parent should NEVER enter the field unless the referee has approved it. I have been physically assaulted by a parent and know numerous referees who have been physically assaulted by parents. I have witnessed several parents entering the field and physically assaulting a player from another team. My advice is to wait until the coach, Athletic Trainer and referee assess the injury. For me, once I know the extent of the injury I will often have the coach bring the parent onto the field to comfort the injured player.

My DD did not play HS soccer her senior year. She had already been recruited by a D1 college and the college coach asked her to not play HS to avoid getting injured. He told her that he had many recruits get seriously injured playing HS soccer and lost their offer. The level of players playing HS soccer varies widely. A lower level player trying to defend a higher level player usually ends in some type of foul. I was glad my DD did not play her senior year. Two of her good friends playing HS soccer their senior year and had offers from D1 colleges suffered torn ACLs caused by fouls committed by less skilled players. Both lost their offers.

So, you misunderstood my post. A dirty push is a foul. I was curious as to how a pushing foul could be elevated to an ejection (red card). A “dirty push” does not really tell us what happened. I am assuming the defender pushed from behind. Was the push just two hands to the back or a push to the head or neck? I may give a red card if the push was to the back of the head. The resulting injury does not factor into the criteria a referee uses to determine if it is a pushing foul and if a card is needed.

I did not accuse you of going onto the field to fight the referee. What I said is that a referee never knows the intention of a parent entering the field uninvited and a parent should NEVER enter the field unless the referee has approved it. I have been physically assaulted by a parent and know numerous referees who have been physically assaulted by parents. I have witnessed several parents entering the field and physically assaulting a player from another team. My advice is to wait until the coach, Athletic Trainer and referee assess the injury. For me, once I know the extent of the injury I will often have the coach bring the parent onto the field to comfort the injured player.

My DD did not play HS soccer her senior year. She had already been recruited by a D1 college and the college coach asked her to not play HS to avoid getting injured. He told her that he had many recruits get seriously injured playing HS soccer and lost their offer. The level of players playing HS soccer varies widely. A lower level player trying to defend a higher level player usually ends in some type of foul. I was glad my DD did not play her senior year. Two of her good friends playing HS soccer their senior year and had offers from D1 colleges suffered torn ACLs caused by fouls committed by less skilled players. Both lost their offers.
Dirty push from behind resulted in injury and ER visit=red card. HS Soccer sucks because the refs allow dirty play, end of story.

I hope I don't Jinx this, but the first two games in the San Diego Section of High School had great refs. Great calls, and addressed the screaming parents who obviously don't understand any of the rules or strategies of soccer.

Let me make this really simple. There is nothing in the HS rule book that referees use to determine infractions listed as “dirty play.“ Absolutely no wording in the rules that says “dirty play.” Just fouls, cautionable misconduct and disqualification misconduct. So, PLEASE, breakdown exactly what happened prior and during the play that injured your DD without using just the words dirty play. Dirty play tells me and other referees nothing. I will give you an honest unbiased option of what I may have called.

Could the referee have helped prevented the foul that cause the injury……a big MAYBE. If the player was being targeted by the defenders and fouled excessively, then the referee could have warned the defenders, been quicker to call fouls against the attacker, or issued a caution for persistent infractions. Referees have tools to handle the defender(s) that are targeting a player(s).

Let me make this really simple. There is nothing in the HS rule book that referees use to determine infractions listed as “dirty play.“ Absolutely no wording in the rules that says “dirty play.” Just fouls, cautionable misconduct and disqualification misconduct. So, PLEASE, breakdown exactly what happened prior and during the play that injured your DD without using just the words dirty play. Dirty play tells me and other referees nothing. I will give you an honest unbiased option of what I may have called.

Could the referee have helped prevented the foul that cause the injury……a big MAYBE. If the player was being targeted by the defenders and fouled excessively, then the referee could have warned the defenders, been quicker to call fouls against the attacker, or issued a caution for persistent infractions. Referees have tools to handle the defender(s) that are targeting a player(s).
I love you Surf Ref. It all started two years before when this school and its dirty players took out my dd teammate, Reilyn Turner. It was insane and the refs just let them play dirty year after year. It's not soccer, it's rugby and dirty play. Fast forward to when my dd was injured from a bush league play and dirty (evil) push from behind. 100% dirty. This kind of shit is why soccer sucks in high school. If a player deliberately pushes another player from behind that causes injury, she shall be Red Carded, or this bush league move will never change. I'm not talking about a player being aggressive, I'm talking about a little brat who has no business playing soccer.

I love you Surf Ref. It all started two years before when this school and its dirty players took out my dd teammate, Reilyn Turner. It was insane and the refs just let them play dirty year after year. It's not soccer, it's rugby and dirty play. Fast forward to when my dd was injured from a bush league play and dirty (evil) push from behind. 100% dirty. This kind of shit is why soccer sucks in high school. If a player deliberately pushes another player from behind that causes injury, she shall be Red Carded, or this bush league move will never change. I'm not talking about a player being aggressive, I'm talking about a little brat who has no business playing soccer.
I think I know what you are talking about. I have seen players that do not have the skill set to play against better players. They resort to reckless play. A decent referee will recognize the reckless play and take actions to stop it. There are some schools that are known for reckless play. This is usually driven by their coach. I go into those games heavy on the whistle early to squash the shenanigan. I hope your daughter has fully healed and is back playing strong.

People don't yell at Rugby or Lacross refs because nobody understands the rules.

Also as you go further east parents understand men's Lacrosse + do yell at the refs for bad calls. I don't think anyone understands womens Lacrosse (even the players, refs, and coaches) so if that's what you were watching it would make sense.
The beauty of the soccer laws is they are for the refs to determine and execute, not the parents or players.

The difference in youth HS and other is that in HS parents are not on the pitch. I'm surprised anyone cares what they yell from the stands. In the other (club, AYSO, adult), they just need to be removed from the pitch. It has been about 8 years since I last officiated, but I can't think it is all that different or difficult. Maybe I am missing something.

I think I know what you are talking about. I have seen players that do not have the skill set to play against better players. They resort to reckless play. A decent referee will recognize the reckless play and take actions to stop it. There are some schools that are known for reckless play. This is usually driven by their coach. I go into those games heavy on the whistle early to squash the shenanigan. I hope your daughter has fully healed and is back playing strong.
This is completely different but I've been seeing this a lot more, particularly Jordynn Dudley (FSU) hit on Kennedy Wesley (Stanford). Attackers are fully swinging their arms into defender faces/heads/necks at a high speed, and yes they are doing it intentionally to create space. Elbows and fists land on defenders neck or heads without calls being made. I thought hits to necks and heads were red cards?

With less than a month left in hs regular season I was wondering how it worked out for those refs that did the strike? That raise come through? Any commitments for future years?

Back