HEAT Wave.

Na, but what is clear is that you're one of those "Don't tell me how to parent my kid!" types. That's fine, you don't need other people to decide what's best for your kid. Neither do I, but some parents do. And even though it's gonna be too F-ing hot out this weekend in some areas, kids will still be out playing, driven by parents who either don't know any better or are willing to take the risk with their kid for fear that they may look bad if they keep Jimmy or Susie home.
Other than an hour or two in a few locations, it will be just fine. Even there, kids can handle these borderline conditions for a game, or part thereof, as long as they properly hydrate ahead of time and during the weekend.

Any kids thst suffer inthese conditions are not properly prepared . Thus is really just social media hysteria fueled by false facts posted by people abiut the heat index.

Na, but what is clear is that you're one of those "Don't tell me how to parent my kid!" types. That's fine, you don't need other people to decide what's best for your kid. Neither do I, but some parents do.

Haha not sure what you meant by "one of those" but I will wear that badge with honor.

Na, but what is clear is that you're one of those "Don't tell me how to parent my kid!" types. That's fine, you don't need other people to decide what's best for your kid. Neither do I, but some parents do. And even though it's gonna be too F-ing hot out this weekend in some areas, kids will still be out playing, driven by parents who either don't know any better or are willing to take the risk with their kid for fear that they may look bad if they keep Jimmy or Susie home.

They're too worried Mason or Chloe will lose their spot to the kid that does show up!

Are you saying that schools should not close under extreme weather conditions for safety, but stay open and let parents decide?

Schools are air-conditioned for the most part and they monitor their activities such as PE and extracurricular activities. Kinda of apples & oranges don'
you think? BTW I have 3 kids and never has a school been canceled because of heat.

Schools are air-conditioned for the most part and they monitor their activities such as PE and extracurricular activities. Kinda of apples & oranges don'
you think? BTW I have 3 kids and never has a school been canceled because of heat.

Coronado and other parts of SD have closed schools due to heat. Many don't have AC as this level of heat was unusual up until recently.

Other than an hour or two in a few locations, it will be just fine. Even there, kids can handle these borderline conditions for a game, or part thereof, as long as they properly hydrate ahead of time and during the weekend.

Any kids thst suffer inthese conditions are not properly prepared . Thus is really just social media hysteria fueled by false facts posted by people abiut the heat index.[/QUOTE
Are you a physician?

Coronado and other parts of SD have closed schools due to heat. Many don't have AC as this level of heat was unusual up until recently.

I know that this is what the media wants you to believe, but here are the high temps for San Diego by month. You'll notice, not a single record high in the 2000's. In fact, since 1980, only Feb, Mar, and Apr have record highs. I remember some really hot days growing up in East San Diego in the 70's and 80's. Can't remember ever being sent home or having the schools closed ... and there was no AC. I checked Norco also ... pretty much the same story there. (source http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USCA0982 for San Diego and http://www.intellicast.com/local/history.aspx?location=USCA0772 for Norco)

San Diego, California
Monthly Averages & Records - °F | °C

Date Average Record
High High
January 66° 88° (1953)
February 66° 90° (1995)
March 66° 93° (1988)
April 69° 98° (1989)
May 69° 96° (1953)
June 72° 101° (1979)
July 76° 100° (1930)
August 78° 98° (1955)
September 77° 111° (1963)
October 74° 107° (1961)
November 70° 97° (1976)
December 66° 88° (1963)

Sorry Frank, ( I appreciate the info and insight you share on this forum ) I have to agree with surf ref on this one . Games in extreme heat should be rescheduled. In my opinion, unlimited subs only "HELPS" the team with a deep bench. It is a distinct, disadvantage to a team that is carrying fewer players. I thought that that there was some type of rule with regard to water breaks when temps reach a certain #. If CRL was making these changes in the interest of the players and refs on the field then the discussion would be about rescheduling games to early morning or late evening or rescheduling to a time when heat indexes are not at a potentially harmful level with less of a potential for heat stroke. Games under the lights would be awesome! I hope there is a breeze in Norco!
No problem Charlie. I grew up and played in Las Vegas so a 105 doesn't scare me nor do I consider it extreme. Also, I am reffing in Norco both days this weekend so I will be putting my money where my mouth is I guess. Also, my son will be playing there in the afternoons when it should be nice and toasty and hopefully it wont be an issue for him nor his teammates

Also, there is always a breeze (hurricane) at Norco. :)

No problem Charlie. I grew up and played in Las Vegas so a 105 doesn't scare me nor do I consider it extreme. Also, I am reffing in Norco both days this weekend so I will be putting my money where my mouth is I guess. Also, my son will be playing there in the afternoons when it should be nice and toasty and hopefully it wont be an issue for him nor his teammates

Also, there is always a breeze (hurricane) at Norco. :)
good luck frank. you got bigger problems than keeping the kids safe! Hot, sweaty, crabby adults on the sidelines, THAT'S EXTREME. and Just like the breeze they also always exist in Norco.

well day one of the heat wave is over. looks like it will be hotter tomorrow. No bitchin on the forum about kids dropping so hope that means all good. hydrate with water when you watch the fight and back at it tomorrow.

well day one of the heat wave is over. looks like it will be hotter tomorrow. No bitchin on the forum about kids dropping so hope that means all good. hydrate with water when you watch the fight and back at it tomorrow.
04 strikers boy went into cardiac arrest today and dies at the hospital,.don't know.if it was heat related.

It's hard to believe we're even having this discussion. It was 95 at game time and during warm up the youngers looked gassed. These kids are good and actually asked to come out even though there were few subs. I find it troubling that parents would bicker about a few degrees. After halftime the game deteriorated and parents yelled at kids to play harder even though they gave up technique and training in favor of doing what was easy and wrong because they couldn't deal with the heat. To the comment about not canceling games, get a grip bro. You must be an anti government deregulation type. Coaches do whatever they're told by the league or club or parents leave. Leagues are in place to enforce rules so the game is fair and safe. If it's hot and kids are in danger, the league should step in. As we left the field the kids were gassed and parents were hot in the shade. The opposing team was then warming up for another game. I hope those kids are all ok. But hey, what's a few degrees here and there right? It probably wasn't quite a heat advisory yet.

Weather.com shows an hourly temperature and humidity. 98 is not excessively hot. I linked to the source. I presume Presidio/SDDA consulted with medical experts, but could be wrong.

98 is not excessively hot. You're kidding, right? You must be. Do you remember that this sport is supposed to be fun? Jeez

We are all parents on this forum but please remember whats important we might not agree on politics , religion or other issues , but one thing that we have have in common is that we love our children. God please give the parents the strength to get over this tragedy.
http://www.strikersfcnorth.com/news_article/show/827300?referrer_id=952847.

What happened?? What a tragic loss. My thoughts are with his family. I can't imagine how hard it will be for his coach and teammates tomorrow.

8 a.m. game today at Silverlakes, refs informed us 2 water breaks per half for the entire day. Tragedy yesterday on everyone's mind. Thoughts and Prayers for the family. Without words...

8 a.m. game today at Silverlakes, refs informed us 2 water breaks per half for the entire day. Tragedy yesterday on everyone's mind. Thoughts and Prayers for the family. Without words...
Wow! no words for something like this is right. Now I understand why at 8 am in Silverlakes this morning the halves were 35 minutes not 45, including the water breaks. It wasn't hot , actually pleasant. We all figured that CRL was keeping consistency for the later games when temperatures would be a factor. Thoughts and prayers to the players family, the Strikers families, the spectators that witnessed this, the refs who had to act in the worst possible scenario, the other kids on the field at the time. I am sure the entire SoCal soccer community with hug our kids a little tighter tonight.

Today the 4pm game at Norco was bearable. Strong wind at least. They shortened game time from 45 min halves to 35 and put in 2 water breaks per half. I always feel bad for the players but appreciate that measures are taken to help.

A heavy heart for the family of the young man.

Back