HEAT Wave.

I was not sure how to ask the question without making it a thread. So I guess it's going to be a new thread. What are the regulations with regards to temperature. We are in Norco this weekend and it looks like 99 degree Saturday and 104 Sunday. do games get cancelled with this type of heat. I know there are regs. for water breaks. I DO NOT want to drive to Norco to find out the games are called because of heat / health concerns! You know what I mean. thanks in advance for the info.

I was not sure how to ask the question without making it a thread. So I guess it's going to be a new thread. What are the regulations with regards to temperature. We are in Norco this weekend and it looks like 99 degree Saturday and 104 Sunday. do games get cancelled with this type of heat. I know there are regs. for water breaks. I DO NOT want to drive to Norco to find out the games are called because of heat / health concerns! You know what I mean. thanks in advance for the info.

Games will go on as scheduled. Bring an umbrella and enough water. Towels on ice works great for kids when it gets hot, and stay in the shade between games. Good luck.

I know what you mean, drove to Temecula in the pouring rain only to have it cancelled when we got there.
I believe it is the heat index, not the temperature. It is supposed to be low humidity so the games could still be played. Have not heard of any games cancelled yet.

I contacted CalSouth about this last time we played in Temecula for the 1st weekend of CRL, and they replied that games would go on as planned despite the heat. With humidity also forecast between 40 and 50 percent and the temps, it's going to feel like 110-120 at the hottest part of the day in Norco. Reviewing vs. the heat index chart, it's doing to be dangerous, with likely sunstroke and heat exhaustion. I'm surprised that CalSouth doesn't have a policy about extreme heat. Someone always brings up how they play in Texas and other parts of the SouthEast in worse conditions than these, but I would prefer to error on the side of player safety. We can always reschedule games after leagues end in November and December.

I contacted CalSouth about this last time we played in Temecula for the 1st weekend of CRL, and they replied that games would go on as planned despite the heat. With humidity also forecast between 40 and 50 percent and the temps, it's going to feel like 110-120 at the hottest part of the day in Norco. Reviewing vs. the heat index chart, it's doing to be dangerous, with likely sunstroke and heat exhaustion. I'm surprised that CalSouth doesn't have a policy about extreme heat. Someone always brings up how they play in Texas and other parts of the SouthEast in worse conditions than these, but I would prefer to error on the side of player safety. We can always reschedule games after leagues end in November and December.
What exactly are you disagreeing about Eagle33? That the heat is going to be dangerous this weekend? That we should err on the side of player safety? My guess is you are not a player Eagle33 and will be just watching from the shade with a cool drink.

Crazy that it is so hot in Norco and just a 90 minutes away it is chilly and overcast in San Diego. My games last night (5-9pm) were a comfortable 60-65 degrees. Personally I think kids playing in those high temperatures is just stupid and should not happen. My weather app says it is supposed to be 104 degrees (in the shade) on Sunday, which IMO is too hot for kids to play.

Your coach needs to insist on water breaks. As a referee when I know I will be working games in high temperatures I do the following prep and game day routine, which is similar to how I would prepare to run a half or full marathon. Start hydrating on Wednesday for the weekend. Start carb loading on Thursday with pasta, oatmeal, rice, orange juice, etc. Replenish electrolytes between games. To replenish the electrolytes I use coconut water and Nunn tablets (they do not have all the processed sugar of Gatorade/PowerAde). Avoid fried food and processed sugars leading up to and on game day. I eat small amounts of grapes, string cheese and cliff bars at halftime and between games. I also drink a 12oz Coke on the drive home, but I have hypoglycemia and usually need a quick sugar boost after a lot of exercise. When I get home after the games I drink a 32oz almond milk, fruit (strawberries, kiwi and bananas) and protein (50g) smoothie. When the players get a water break the referees should also hydrate since we are out there for 3+ games.

Other solution...don't play tournaments in Norco during Aug-Sep.

What exactly are you disagreeing about Eagle33? That the heat is going to be dangerous this weekend? That we should err on the side of player safety? My guess is you are not a player Eagle33 and will be just watching from the shade with a cool drink.
Too many energy drinks.

They are doing water breaks and went to unlimited subs versus the usual restrictions from CRL. That should help.

They are doing water breaks and went to unlimited subs versus the usual restrictions from CRL. That should help.

Just reschedule the games to a weekend when the heat levels are not dangerous. Maybe the coaches and referees will have common sense and the courage to say it is too hot for the children and not play the games. One water break is not adequate for an athlete running around for 60-90 minute games.

Ok, back to reality. Start hydrating yesterday. This means your kids drinking enough water that they have to pee every hour or two.

You can't just look at the day's highest relative humidity (RH) and combine it with the expected high temperature. Weather doesn't work this way. Generally, the day's highest RH will coincide with the day's lowest temperature, and vice versa. So you have to look at the hourly forecast and compare the temperature with the RH in that hour.
So, eg:

NORCO SATURDAY
Saturday forecast high of 95, between 2-3 pm. Forecast humidity of 26%. Using chart here, you get a heat index of under 100 which is less than the "NO PLAY" index of over 105. (Weather.com also shows the "feels like" temp of 100 which is roughly the heat index, so you don't really need the chart.)

Now Sunday's high temp (disregarding humidity) is 107, so clearly late afternoon games will exceed the 105 level and will have to be cancelled.

As for Galway downs, based on the forecast, it looks like there is only a possibility that it would exceed 105 heat index for less than an hour on Sunday.

Sorry Frank, ( I appreciate the info and insight you share on this forum ) I have to agree with surf ref on this one . Games in extreme heat should be rescheduled. In my opinion, unlimited subs only "HELPS" the team with a deep bench. It is a distinct, disadvantage to a team that is carrying fewer players. I thought that that there was some type of rule with regard to water breaks when temps reach a certain #. If CRL was making these changes in the interest of the players and refs on the field then the discussion would be about rescheduling games to early morning or late evening or rescheduling to a time when heat indexes are not at a potentially harmful level with less of a potential for heat stroke. Games under the lights would be awesome! I hope there is a breeze in Norco!

Yes, I understand that humidity and temp vary over the course of the day, but couldn't find a source that did displayed a forecast for each over time. I'm looking at Weather.com primarily, which shows 98 degrees for Saturday so going to be pretty hot no matter what the humidity. Where is the "NO PLAY index over 105" rule published or applied? Is this a CalSouth rule?

Yes, I understand that humidity and temp vary over the course of the day, but couldn't find a source that did displayed a forecast for each over time. I'm looking at Weather.com primarily, which shows 98 degrees for Saturday so going to be pretty hot no matter what the humidity. Where is the "NO PLAY index over 105" rule published or applied? Is this a CalSouth rule?
Weather.com shows an hourly temperature and humidity. 98 is not excessively hot. I linked to the source. I presume Presidio/SDDA consulted with medical experts, but could be wrong.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/ca/norco/92860
Scroll down to the 10-Day Weather Forecast, click on the customize in the top right and make sure humidity is checked.

Jesus flippin Chirist keep your Jimmy or Susie home if your worried about your kid. Why do you need strangers to decide if its safe or not...its just a soccer game...be a parent, protect your kids if you feel its dangerous.

Jesus flippin Chirist keep your Jimmy or Susie home if your worried about your kid. Why do you need strangers to decide if its safe or not...its just a soccer game...be a parent, protect your kids if you feel its dangerous.
Seriously? Because if it's left up to the crazy parents on the sidelines under their umbrellas and coaches under their pop-ups, little 8yr old Jimmy and 11yr old Susie would be told to "suck it up" even when it's oppressively hot. You said it best...it's just a soccer game. Reschedule.

Seriously? Because if it's left up to the crazy parents on the sidelines under their umbrellas and coaches under their pop-ups, little 8yr old Jimmy and 11yr old Susie would be told to "suck it up" even when it's oppressively hot. You said it best...it's just a soccer game. Reschedule.

Seriously? Strangers need to decide what's best for your child...got it makes perfect sense.

Ok, back to reality. Start hydrating yesterday. This means your kids drinking enough water that they have to pee every hour or two.

You can't just look at the day's highest relative humidity (RH) and combine it with the expected high temperature. Weather doesn't work this way. Generally, the day's highest RH will coincide with the day's lowest temperature, and vice versa. So you have to look at the hourly forecast and compare the temperature with the RH in that hour.
So, eg:

NORCO SATURDAY
Saturday forecast high of 95, between 2-3 pm. Forecast humidity of 26%. Using chart here, you get a heat index of under 100 which is less than the "NO PLAY" index of over 105. (Weather.com also shows the "feels like" temp of 100 which is roughly the heat index, so you don't really need the chart.)

Now Sunday's high temp (disregarding humidity) is 107, so clearly late afternoon games will exceed the 105 level and will have to be cancelled.

As for Galway downs, based on the forecast, it looks like there is only a possibility that it would exceed 105 heat index for less than an hour on Sunday.
Always remember the temperatures that are predicted are in the shade! If a team is on artificial turf the temperatures will be even higher.

Seriously? Strangers need to decide what's best for your child...got it makes perfect sense.
Na, but what is clear is that you're one of those "Don't tell me how to parent my kid!" types. That's fine, you don't need other people to decide what's best for your kid. Neither do I, but some parents do. And even though it's gonna be too F-ing hot out this weekend in some areas, kids will still be out playing, driven by parents who either don't know any better or are willing to take the risk with their kid for fear that they may look bad if they keep Jimmy or Susie home.

Back