Governors State Cup G06

Wow 124 teams entered Governors State Cup.
Which teams are the favorite to win their brackets??
Schedule is out games in Lancaster, San Diego and other locations.
Should be Fun for this ladies especially staying overnight in the hotels...

Or they are a flight III or Bronze team. Those teams would get throttled by good Flight II and good Silver Teams.

Or they are a flight III or Bronze team. Those teams would get throttled by good Flight II and good Silver Teams.

With 120 teams I'm sure sped is correct there are several sandbagging just as they've done all year starting with strawberry cup regional championship or whatever that impressive cup they won last summer was called.

Ugh...we're in Lancaster yet again... It seems 80% of the other San Diego teams are fortunate enough to play at the Polo Fields while we won the winter-misery lottery of playing in the wastelands of SoCal soccer. In 6-7 years, I've never had a full weekend at Lancaster resemble soccer. At least one or both days had hurricane force winds and/or frigid temperatures. Having 10 year-old girls play in those conditions could possibly qualify as cruel and unusual punishment. Should make us all targets for CPS.

I'm going to start collecting signatures for a new Prop that seeks to turn the Lancaster soccer fields into a solar panel farm or a penguin petting zoo. Just about all the good memories my kids have from there was hanging out with their teammates in the hotel, nothing related to actually playing soccer on those fields. Okay that's not totally true. They do have fond memories of getting scored on off goal kicks and taking 5 minutes to take a corner kick because the wind keeps moving the ball 10 feet out of bounds to the point where an NFL-style holder was needed for the snap.

If there is any consolation, none of the elimination rounds will be played in Lancaster, so no families will have to endure back-to-back weekends over there. And it appears 70% of the group play games will be elsewhere. Just seems like I'm one of the unfortunates who were still grandfathered back to Lancaster. So permit me to whine and rant for a bit before I make my hotel reservation.

Having 10 year-old girls play in those conditions could possibly qualify as cruel and unusual punishment.

Forget getting rid of Landcaster if your team is undefeated or won more than one strawberry cup regional championship and you register for Governors you get an automatic bid for Landcaster. That way all these undefeated teams would have a real challenge to get out of group.

In defense of Lancaster:

1. Its wonderfully long scenic drive from SD to Lancaster, passing through a variety of micro-climates.
2. ummm ... that is all I got.

That said, Lancaster plays a vital role, along with all of the larger facilities. Yes, the drive sucks, but at least your kid has some grass to play on and the wind provides a unique challenge. Lancaster maybe the only field going if we get rain in SoCal,.

With 120 teams I'm sure sped is correct there are several sandbagging just as they've done all year starting with strawberry cup regional championship or whatever that impressive cup they won last summer was called.

It may be obvious to you who the "sandbaggers" are, but I tried to figure out who these several teams are that you are referring to and it isn't as clear cut to me. Presidents has 32 teams signed up to play at the highest level. Based off the most accurate ranking system that I have seen, only 6 teams, Strikers North IA (#9), Pats IER White (#22), Legends South (#23), Arsenal SD Elite (#24), Irvine Slammers Winn (#28) & CDA Slammers Silzer (#32) that are currently ranked in the Top 32 and are signed up to play in the Governors division. My advice would be to only worry about those things that you can control, and if these teams want to battle it out to see who is the 33rd best team in SoCal, don't lose any sleep over it.

It really sucks to play futbol in those windy conditions especially those team who like play possession ball style.. Going to affect the outcome of some games!!!

My son was refereeing some games at the Polo fields this weekend. I got to talking to one of the G06 fans. He said that the team is planning to go to tournaments in Las Vegas and possibly Dallas. I told him it is insane to travel out of state at this age when there are 50+ teams in SoCal that will give any Governors level team as good or better competition. I don't even think top teams in this age group need to travel out of state at this age for good competition. If they stick with it, there will be plenty of out of state trips when they are teenagers.

What I read was "G06" "fan" "travel" "Dallas" "insane." Yes, I agree and the same can be said for "Presidents" cup. SoCal talent is enough for any team to stay put.

Does anyone know why a player was ejected from palm desert soccer club's team in their game against blues Otto ? A red card was given for violent conduct.
Dangerous tackle from behind by a Blues player followed by a retaliatory punch is what I was told by a few parents watching that game. The punch is what generated a straight red.

Back