Girls on boys teams?

At that age the girls are ahead physically and the boys were a year younger. So if it were me i wouldn't put that on my mantle. Thats like Kramer in the Dojo. Do it at 17-18 and play a legit 15 yo team and it won't go so well.
Yes, the girls are stronger and actually more confident at 10 then those 9 year old big cry babies....lol :) This is now #1 on my mantle Jose. I just laughed my ass off replaying the video. The dads were a joke in how they handled the loss too and they never played us again. The dads made the boys cry because of how they yelled at the boys for losing to better players that day. They should have told the boys to work harder next time and don;t goof off the first half. Once they tried in the second half and took the girls more serious it was more even. The boys were faster but the girls were beast and made the little byys cry....lol.

you are correct they were little boys and little boys cry at 9 and even older. I wasn't there but my guess is that their parents made them cry. I don't see why that would be a source of pride for you. Being proud of that is as bad with that as the dads you are talking about. The dads that behave badly aren't specific to 9 yo playing 10 yo girls soccer. They are just dads that don't get it and that is everywhere.

you are correct they were little boys and little boys cry at 9 and even older. I wasn't there but my guess is that their parents made them cry. I don't see why that would be a source of pride for you. Being proud of that is as bad with that as the dads you are talking about. The dads that behave badly aren't specific to 9 yo playing 10 yo girls soccer. They are just dads that don't get it and that is everywhere.
Jose, I was only sharing what was in my mind from 7 years ago and it made me laugh today. Trust me, the dad's on the other side were pissed and no one was mocking them or laughing at them. I left quickly because it was hard to watch. My dd loved it, is that not good too? I laugh today and it's #1 in my memory manta and I wanted to share it. I'm not proud and I dont think it was right for the dads to yell at their sons.

Many years ago the Thompson sisters played for TFA (U8-U10). Paul Walker the founder had to get permission from SCDSL to have them play. If I am correct I think they have returned to TFA. Also, OM also played with TFA for a season at U12 or U13.
I’ve seen the girl from TFA train with JPS and she can ball with the boys and hold her own. Has TFA been the only MLS club to allow girls to play at that level? I don’t believe ECNL or GA allow girls to play on the boys side but I could be wrong.. If a girl can ball then let them play, each players path will be different and each player/ parents have different end games in mind. Worry about your own kid and enjoy the journey with the kiddos because before you know it there off and we will have to find a new hobby to occupy the time during the week and the weekends

What a bunch of downers. She was doing futsal with his team.

Also I can tell that nobody commenting has ever had a girl on a boys team. What you don't understand is that there's all kinds of stigma + little hurdles that need to be addressed when a girl plays on a boys team. It's not as easy as just rostering a girl on a boys + and expecting everyone to be ok about it. I can tell you from experience that 619 Futsal wont let girls play on boys teams except for the very youngest age groups. Presidio (at the time) was ok with it but it's always best to confirm. The reason for confirming with the club is that when girls play on a boys team parents get bitchy about playing time, etc. The club would need to be willing to back coaches if decisions needed were to be made. On top of everything else it's really unlikely that a girl will continue to play with boys once they hit puberty and start physically being more powerful. This is why boys coaches just don't look very seriously at girls players. In the long run it's usually a losing bet.
Coached a boys team in 1994 with a girl on it. It was easy. Have two girls one who played on boys team and another who routinely guested on her coaches other boys team. "Can a girl play on a boys team in this league/organization" never came up. This isn't 1950.

The idea that your coach was concerned with what other parents would say, and thus denied your daughter an immediate yes, is a regressive one. I get that there are hurdles, but the coach and organization don't need to amplify them or act as gate keepers. Your daughter deserved an immediate yes if she was already playing with the boys and that is the end of the story in my opinion. If that makes me a downer, tell me about more upper coaches so I can actively avoid them.

Coached a boys team in 1994 with a girl on it. It was easy. Have two girls one who played on boys team and another who routinely guested on her coaches other boys team. "Can a girl play on a boys team in this league/organization" never came up. This isn't 1950.

The idea that your coach was concerned with what other parents would say, and thus denied your daughter an immediate yes, is a regressive one. I get that there are hurdles, but the coach and organization don't need to amplify them or act as gate keepers. Your daughter deserved an immediate yes if she was already playing with the boys and that is the end of the story in my opinion. If that makes me a downer, tell me about more upper coaches so I can actively avoid them.
It's not so easy to ignore the stigma of mixing girls in with boys soccer at competitive levels. During Covid when no league games were going on our team would look for teams interested in scrimmaging. Since we had a field we received a lot of inquiries from boys teams. Most never replied after we told them we had a (high level) girls team. A few reluctantly agreed to play since they had no field. Only one coach saw value in exposing his boys to the girls different style of play (in his words he said that girls work harder). The games were great...competitive and allowed both sides to see different styles. In general the girls worked harder (and bigger since it was U12) and the boys were more technical.

It's not so easy to ignore the stigma of mixing girls in with boys soccer at competitive levels. During Covid when no league games were going on our team would look for teams interested in scrimmaging. Since we had a field we received a lot of inquiries from boys teams. Most never replied after we told them we had a (high level) girls team. A few reluctantly agreed to play since they had no field. Only one coach saw value in exposing his boys to the girls different style of play (in his words he said that girls work harder). The games were great...competitive and allowed both sides to see different styles. In general the girls worked harder (and bigger since it was U12) and the boys were more technical.
My older dd’s current and prior teams scrimmaged boys regularly. No one flipped their lid about it. It is easy to not see gender as relevant when talent speaks for itself. It is easy to see that SCDSL and csl historically have allowed girls to compete on boys teams.

Maybe not as easy as avoiding personal growth. Maybe we should be applauding the guy who initially had reservations but came around eventually. But the initial reservations are still a barrier, impactful however slight, and an experienced coach or a strong club should have already had this straight.

shoot, if they were smart they should be recruiting lil Mia Hamms who are so special they want to play with boys. What a missed opportunity.

What a bunch of downers. She was doing futsal with his team.
I can tell you from experience that 619 Futsal wont let girls play on boys teams except for the very youngest age groups.
I can tell you from experience that 619 Futsal has no problem having their boys teams scrimmage their girl's teams. Maybe not as much of an issue for the "field players" but not ideal for a female goalie taking hard shots at close range with a heavier ball. Mike Gentry cares about the keepers, but no one else at 619 does.

My older dd’s current and prior teams scrimmaged boys regularly. No one flipped their lid about it. It is easy to not see gender as relevant when talent speaks for itself. It is easy to see that SCDSL and csl historically have allowed girls to compete on boys teams.

Maybe not as easy as avoiding personal growth. Maybe we should be applauding the guy who initially had reservations but came around eventually. But the initial reservations are still a barrier, impactful however slight, and an experienced coach or a strong club should have already had this straight.

shoot, if they were smart they should be recruiting lil Mia Hamms who are so special they want to play with boys. What a missed opportunity.
Girls teams scrimmaging Boys teams is common + happens all the time. Usually coaches set it up so older girls play younger boys. This way they boys can save face if they lose by saying that the girls were older and the girls get exposed to a different style of play but at a slower speed.

Girls playing on a boys team is not common at higher levels.

I had an enjoyable experience several years ago with a coed middle school league game. The rules required 4 girls on the field if the team had enough female players and I was interested in where the coaches would play the girls since I've seen some coed games where the boys basically ignore their female teammates. One team came out arrayed with the girls at central defender, attacking midfielder, and two forwards. I soon observed that these young ladies were the best players on the field and later learned that they played for the same club team. One of the forwards scored a beautiful headed goal from a corner kick, the defender was tough and the midfielder had great tactical awareness and distribution skills. Their male teammates clearly respected their skills and they all worked very well together to win the game.

Two weeks later I worked their league semifinal match and asked the midfielder after the game where she would go to high school the next fall. When she responded Villa Park I told her I had worked a Villa Park varsity girls game two days before and that I thought she had a good chance at being a varsity starter as a freshman the next fall. Come the next fall my first game was girls varsity Villa Park v Fullerton and I was able to remind her of my comment when she started the game.

Girls teams scrimmaging Boys teams is common + happens all the time. Usually coaches set it up so older girls play younger boys. This way they boys can save face if they lose by saying that the girls were older and the girls get exposed to a different style of play but at a slower speed.

Girls playing on a boys team is not common at higher levels.
It isn't common, and in fact your DD is exceptional for considering it. But any one who has been around club soccer in the area for more than a nominal amount of time would have seen it at least once. And most of the coaches I know (who admittedly coached both boys an girls teams) have known it was a non-issue.

Usually the boys play up against girls in scrimmages but to be honest boys of the same age and bracket usually would kill the girls. Not good to have imbalanced scrimmages. My DD's old team played a high level boys team of the same age group and led them at the half. The boys came back strong, but it wasn't a bad thing for them to learn that boys weren't always better than girls.

My DD has also played with a boys team and been the better one on the team, albeit at a lower level than she usually plays. The boys respected her and didn't commit seppuku. Way too often the rationale of protecting the boys' egos isn't based on anything. We are way past a time in society where coaches should think this way for more than a few seconds.

It isn't common, and in fact your DD is exceptional for considering it. But any one who has been around club soccer in the area for more than a nominal amount of time would have seen it at least once. And most of the coaches I know (who admittedly coached both boys an girls teams) have known it was a non-issue.

Usually the boys play up against girls in scrimmages but to be honest boys of the same age and bracket usually would kill the girls. Not good to have imbalanced scrimmages. My DD's old team played a high level boys team of the same age group and led them at the half. The boys came back strong, but it wasn't a bad thing for them to learn that boys weren't always better than girls.

My DD has also played with a boys team and been the better one on the team, albeit at a lower level than she usually plays. The boys respected her and didn't commit seppuku. Way too often the rationale of protecting the boys' egos isn't based on anything. We are way past a time in society where coaches should think this way for more than a few seconds.
Another reason for Girls to play younger Boys vs the same age is if the Girls beat them the boys simply won't play them any more. Like a said before there needs to be some kind of give and take. If younger boys play older girls when the girls win it's no big deal + you'll be able to reschedule another scrimmage in the future.

It's dumb that Boys + Boys Parents + Boys coaches are so sensitive to losing against girls teams. However it is what it is. Better to work with the boys mindsets than against it.

Here's another thing you would never consider having a girls on a boys team... Some Parents culturally (ie religion) are not ok with a girl playing on a boys team. This goes beyond macho / tough guys saying that girls aren't good enough to play with boys. In America we're used to the the mucho macho types we're not as used to the culture types however both exist + are things you run into with girls on a boys team.

Another reason for Girls to play younger Boys vs the same age is if the Girls beat them the boys simply won't play them any more. Like a said before there needs to be some kind of give and take. If younger boys play older girls when the girls win it's no big deal + you'll be able to reschedule another scrimmage in the future.

It's dumb that Boys + Boys Parents + Boys coaches are so sensitive to losing against girls teams. However it is what it is. Better to work with the boys mindsets than against it.

Here's another thing you would never consider having a girls on a boys team... Some Parents culturally (ie religion) are not ok with a girl playing on a boys team. This goes beyond macho / tough guys saying that girls aren't good enough to play with boys. In America we're used to the the mucho macho types we're not as used to the culture types however both exist + are things you run into with girls on a boys team.

I consider all those things and experience tells me they aren't as prevalent as you think. More often than not, it is coaches applying this reasoning without even having given it a chance or without having ever seen any such repercussions.

Boys these days are less "girls have coodies" than they used to be. So many boys are soft from playing computer games that there isn't as much of a gender disparity in sports on a day to day basis. My DD and another girl would dominate boys in playground soccer with no downsides. Shoot, I grew up with such a girl. Never saw a boy refuse a rematch just because he lost.

Go out to a track and field training. Boys and girls race side by side. Slow boys get beat by fast girls, yet they come back to practice the next day.

Why spend so much time justifying these antiquated thoughts? Is the problem really how the boys will feel, or is it just another case of "everyone gets a participation trophy" rearing its ugly head?

I consider all those things and experience tells me they aren't as prevalent as you think. More often than not, it is coaches applying this reasoning without even having given it a chance or without having ever seen any such repercussions.

Boys these days are less "girls have coodies" than they used to be. So many boys are soft from playing computer games that there isn't as much of a gender disparity in sports on a day to day basis. My DD and another girl would dominate boys in playground soccer with no downsides. Shoot, I grew up with such a girl. Never saw a boy refuse a rematch just because he lost.

Go out to a track and field training. Boys and girls race side by side. Slow boys get beat by fast girls, yet they come back to practice the next day.

Why spend so much time justifying these antiquated thoughts? Is the problem really how the boys will feel, or is it just another case of "everyone gets a participation trophy" rearing its ugly head?
You dont get it + never will. Good luck

My daughter had her first XC meet yesterday and did okay. But, there was one little girl Amelia that was extremely bad ass. She’s running a 5k in the 18’s; I know male Marines and Navy Seals that can run 18’s!

You dont get it + never will. Good luck

LOL. If getting it means elevating some coach who took two days to answer my brave daughter for any of the reasons you put up, then I hope I never get it. I hope a lot of us stop getting it or never get it. Your daughter deserved better and I will stand by that until the day I die.

Back