Girls on boys teams?

I saw a few girls on an MLS next team ( I believe it was TFA) I have seen this before but usually only on scdsl or csl teams.... I thought it was pretty cool to see her on a highly competitive team. Do other leagues allow this? ECNL, ECRL, EA? etc.? I remember girls played down a year which seemed pretty lame but whatever. No need to get into why this is a good idea or why this is a terrible idea.... I am just curious if anyone knows if other leagues allow this?

We considered it a few years ago for our youngest BUT the biggest deciding factor was that the recruitment would not be there. Hard to get seen if the women's coaches aren't on the field and while some might make a special trip it was too risky considering dd's goals.

We considered it a few years ago for our youngest BUT the biggest deciding factor was that the recruitment would not be there. Hard to get seen if the women's coaches aren't on the field and while some might make a special trip it was too risky considering dd's goals.
The girls I know that played with boys were already recruited or already identified as top top players. They dont need to get recruited because everyone already knows how good they are. In fact, it will make the girl player better. I saw OM and a few others do it while my dd TEAM won the National Championship back in 2017. I took a peak and my dd was 100% a no. She was dealing with the boys at school already and no need to have to rub elbows with them on the fields. Too much boy is not good for some girls....lol. To each his own and yes OP, many girls do it.

My daughter approached a boys coach herself and asked if she could play for his team. (This took a huge amount of courage for a girl in first grade to do) Duarte Andrade took her seriously, talked with her and said that he'll check with the league and get back with her dad. A couple of days later he emailed saying that he checked with the league and club leadership and shes welcome to try out. In the next week my daughter had several offers for girls teams and she decided to play on a girls team over a boys team. So we contacted Duarte + thanked him for his time + effort.

I'm still highly impressed how professionally Duarte handled the entire situation.

My daughter approached a boys coach herself and asked if she could play for his team. (This took a huge amount of courage for a girl in first grade to do) Duarte Andrade took her seriously, talked with her and said that he'll check with the league and get back with her dad. A couple of days later he emailed saying that he checked with the league and club leadership and shes welcome to try out. In the next week my daughter had several offers for girls teams and she decided to play on a girls team over a boys team. So we contacted Duarte + thanked him for his time + effort.

I'm still highly impressed how professionally Duarte handled the entire situation.
My dd loved to play against the boys, not with the boys. One time the great JL took a squad of U10 females to take on U9 boys in El Monte. It was a beautiful Sunday and let's just say the girls beat the boys that day. The boys were crying because their fathers were yelling at them for losing to a bunch of girls. It truly is one of the great memories in the last 11 years of watching my kid play the game she loves.

Yes, and I am sure you are aware of the benefits of playing with males for females with grit. But, the bad part is managing a female on a male team after puberty or transitioning her back to the girls side where the game is slower and less sophisticated.

If you do it, think long and hard about how you want to transition her back to the female side. My kid loves soccer but has no interest in playing in a letter league because the game is too slow, dumbed down, and not fun to her.

I’m not saying this to insult any level of player. I just wish I would have been aware of the negative aspects of females on males teams to make my players transition easier.

Yes, and I am sure you are aware of the benefits of playing with males for females with grit. But, the bad part is managing a female on a male team after puberty or transitioning her back to the girls side where the game is slower and less sophisticated.

If you do it, think long and hard about how you want to transition her back to the female side. My kid loves soccer but has no interest in playing in a letter league because the game is too slow, dumbed down, and not fun to her.

I’m not saying this to insult any level of player. I just wish I would have been aware of the negative aspects of females on males teams to make my players transition easier.
Nice Dre, this is good topic stuff and not troll speak. It's truth speak. Some girls are like your dd. Some girls are like my dd and some are in between. If you care about individual awards and not national championships, then by all means play up three years and play with the boys. Again, I know families that have girls that play with boys so they can be better then those silly girls that play like girls. Girls that get what they want because their dad has his hands on the controls is my only beef with all girls leagues. I do think if you have a 5, then go with the boys or go to Portland.

Sure he's a great guy and all but, in my opinion it could have just been an immediate "yes but have her come out to a practice and see how she likes it and fits in." Seen it happen this way at other clubs, and it honestly should be known within any organization at this point that a girl can play on a boy's team. Kind of unfortunate she didn't get an immediate yes to reward her bravery.

Sure he's a great guy and all but, in my opinion it could have just been an immediate "yes but have her come out to a practice and see how she likes it and fits in." Seen it happen this way at other clubs, and it honestly should be known within any organization at this point that a girl can play on a boy's team. Kind of unfortunate she didn't get an immediate yes to reward her bravery.
She'd been practicing with his team for several months. Duarte only asked for some time because he needed to figure out if the league would allow a girl on a boys team and if the club would allow a girl on a boys team.

The reward for her bravery was being offered the opportunity to try out for his team. Which was provided once all the details were sorted.

Sure he's a great guy and all but, in my opinion it could have just been an immediate "yes but have her come out to a practice and see how she likes it and fits in." Seen it happen this way at other clubs, and it honestly should be known within any organization at this point that a girl can play on a boy's team.
She'd been practicing with his team for several months. Duarte only asked for some time because he needed to figure out if the league would allow a girl on a boys team and if the club would allow a girl on a boys team.

The reward for her bravery was being offered the opportunity to try out for his team. Which was provided once all the details were sorted.
I don't mean to out you, but is the club Red Tape FC?

She had been practicing with the boys team for months and neither the coach or the club thought ahead on this? He may be a great guy, but I wouldn't put much stock in his predictions for the future.

She had been practicing with the boys team for months and neither the coach or the club thought ahead on this? He may be a great guy, but I wouldn't put much stock in his predictions for the future.
This is true but he's a good coach. MW should think of having Duarte coach 1 of the girl's ECNL teams and see how it goes.

What a bunch of downers. She was doing futsal with his team.

Also I can tell that nobody commenting has ever had a girl on a boys team. What you don't understand is that there's all kinds of stigma + little hurdles that need to be addressed when a girl plays on a boys team. It's not as easy as just rostering a girl on a boys + and expecting everyone to be ok about it. I can tell you from experience that 619 Futsal wont let girls play on boys teams except for the very youngest age groups. Presidio (at the time) was ok with it but it's always best to confirm. The reason for confirming with the club is that when girls play on a boys team parents get bitchy about playing time, etc. The club would need to be willing to back coaches if decisions needed were to be made. On top of everything else it's really unlikely that a girl will continue to play with boys once they hit puberty and start physically being more powerful. This is why boys coaches just don't look very seriously at girls players. In the long run it's usually a losing bet.

I saw a few girls on an MLS next team ( I believe it was TFA) I have seen this before but usually only on scdsl or csl teams.... I thought it was pretty cool to see her on a highly competitive team. Do other leagues allow this? ECNL, ECRL, EA? etc.? I remember girls played down a year which seemed pretty lame but whatever. No need to get into why this is a good idea or why this is a terrible idea.... I am just curious if anyone knows if other leagues allow this?
Many years ago the Thompson sisters played for TFA (U8-U10). Paul Walker the founder had to get permission from SCDSL to have them play. If I am correct I think they have returned to TFA. Also, OM also played with TFA for a season at U12 or U13.

Our college junior daughter played on boys or coed teams up until 11 v 11. She started with futsal and there where no girls teams to play with and she wanted to get in on the fun with her brothers.

Couple years later she found a love for the outdoor games and played coed with another one of her female friends. There where no girls teams in the neighborhood so they played with mostly boys in the Sunday leagues. Used to be funny, they would stream roll through defensives and some of the boys used to be too shy or afraid of getting shown up and they would back off too much.

Anyway the socal aspects of being young ladies eventually took over and they switch to girls teams starting at 11 v 11. Would still practice or player futsal with brothers through high School. One thing I can tell you even through so was basically lightweight average size she was very difficult to knock off the ball, tackle and has a bit of a mean streak so was a tough player to deal with on both sides or the ball. Some of that I think came from her brothers and playing coded or with the boys more.

Our college junior daughter played on boys or coed teams up until 11 v 11. She started with futsal and there where no girls teams to play with and she wanted to get in on the fun with her brothers.

Couple years later she found a love for the outdoor games and played coed with another one of her female friends. There where no girls teams in the neighborhood so they played with mostly boys in the Sunday leagues. Used to be funny, they would stream roll through defensives and some of the boys used to be too shy or afraid of getting shown up and they would back off too much.

Anyway the socal aspects of being young ladies eventually took over and they switch to girls teams starting at 11 v 11. Would still practice or player futsal with brothers through high School. One thing I can tell you even through so was basically lightweight average size she was very difficult to knock off the ball, tackle and has a bit of a mean streak so was a tough player to deal with on both sides or the ball. Some of that I think came from her brothers and playing coded or with the boys more.
I'm pretty good at guessing which girls have older brothers based upon how the girls play.

My dd loved to play against the boys, not with the boys. One time the great JL took a squad of U10 females to take on U9 boys in El Monte. It was a beautiful Sunday and let's just say the girls beat the boys that day. The boys were crying because their fathers were yelling at them for losing to a bunch of girls. It truly is one of the great memories in the last 11 years of watching my kid play the game she loves.
At that age the girls are ahead physically and the boys were a year younger. So if it were me i wouldn't put that on my mantle. Thats like Kramer in the Dojo. Do it at 17-18 and play a legit 15 yo team and it won't go so well.

Back