Girls Development Academy

Uh did you read my post? Apparently not.
OM plays Boys DA. So doubtful she will get passed up. She can run circles around pretty much anyone. Sorry sad but true.
As for your other assessment I think there is nothing wrong with focusing on your child's technique and play and speed until 13-14. They played 6-10. They all play futsal with boys. Then you introduce a highly skilled player into a system with a coach you trust. Shock you avoid burnout and overuse injuries. Maybe even she has joy of the game like CM when she came over from Brazil after no formal training?
I believe they are doing just fine.
Again wouldn't expect people on this board to be able to look at anything with fresh eyes or objectivity. It doesn't fit the needs of the herd

I think it's an interesting dynamic if offered on the Girls' side, but I agree that, at least right now, it wouldn't fare as well as it does on the Boys' side.

However, to play at the "top" level, some may consider allowing their kids to stay at least with a host family and attend school out of state. It depends on how people view the future and fate of the Girls' DA I guess.

If you are willing to send your child to live in another state with another family just to play soccer, you should have your head checked.

Does the "M" in "OM" stand for Marinovich?

Opting out of club entirely? No one informed them that soccer is a team sport? Working well with others is actually a benefit?

They will look great in college ID and YNT training camps, where passing the ball is rarely seen nor valued. Then they will get selected to our USWNT, and the public will wonder why our terrific athletes, who have devoted their entire youth to perfecting their individual skills, get their shorts handed to them by teams from France and Japan. U.S. Soccer will blame it on bad habits they developed in college, and encourage all to skip the future impairing practice of getting a college education.

Second part- let me know when soccer becomes a team sport in SOCAL. I am just a little fish responding to the pond at which I swimming in- aka look out for number one.
This is what I see
Them taking a bunch of kids and changing their positions at ODP, DA, and YNT.
Them frequently overlooking all defenders at all levels of identification.
Them playing boot ball to a talented and fast forward and ignoring the vision of mids
Then not treating soccer as a thinking mans sport- ignoring all cerebral applications of the game
Rewarding all parents who are nuts in the process

Change the culture and change the problem but it WILL NEVER BE Changed.

Agree. I know three families that have opted out of Club entirely and work with a private trainer and also an agility formal program. They also homeschool. These are three girls who WILL be on a YNT list. Coaches know them parents don't.
Then we all know the most special of all- the 05 who plays Boys DA. Homeschooled I believe. Already visiting colleges. Our very own OM. Again hays an example of a special player.
My point with this the kids who will be wearing the crest one day are already putting in these hoirs, trainings, nutrition etc. They are not relying on a club or a coach- they are putting in the work themselves. Can a residential facility help them- yes probably but the majority of us don't have that special player and I would be happy if my DD could avoid Snapchat for a day. I would probably stroke out if she came to me with nutritional guidelines for post recovery.

On the girls side, the US YNT head coaches recommend to their players (fixtures on the team) home school instead of normal HS. The reasoning is the girls will miss an abundance of school days and will fall behind. I know 3 players and their parents. 2 didn't go the home school route and 1 did. IMO, it depends how bright the individual is and if they can keep up with the normal HS school work. BTW, all 3 still played with their club teams....when they weren't called in for YNT duties.

OM plays Boys DA. So doubtful she will get passed up. She can run circles around pretty much anyone. Sorry sad but true.
As for your other assessment I think there is nothing wrong with focusing on your child's technique and play and speed until 13-14. They played 6-10. They all play futsal with boys. Then you introduce a highly skilled player into a system with a coach you trust. Shock you avoid burnout and overuse injuries. Maybe even she has joy of the game like CM when she came over from Brazil after no formal training?
Again wouldn't expect people on this board to be able to look at anything with fresh eyes or objectivity. It doesn't fit the needs of the herd
Hey @Striker17 I wanted to clarify the answers to your question from my post. As anomaly posted, DP in ECNL is different the DP in DA. DP in echo is why there are girls from Kansas playing ECNL in Oklahoma, girls from Louisiana playing in Texas, and so on and so forth. It allowed girls who were not geographically located near an ECNL team to still participate. DP in DA is available for second team players or bubble players to gain experience on the DA team I guess. but its for a limited number of games per season.
I personally would not want to send my daughter away to a host family, but I know that ice skating and gymnastics do it all the time. It just wouldn't work for us.

My friend, the literacy issues is yours, not mine. I was referring to the kids you mentioned who are no longer playing club or team soccer, not OM, and clearly said all of them are sure to get selected and end up on our YNT, not passed up.

OM and the rest may be the next great thing, not sad nor sorry about that, but right they now have a higher probability of having a career ending injury before 18 than making professional soccer a career. That is just a matter of statistics.

I do not see focusing on skills development and being on a team as mutually exclusive activities, in my fresh eyes you can do both and experience a more well-rounded development. Objectively, avoiding team soccer until 13-14 carries at least as many risks as potential benefits, and the coaches and systems available to you at U11-U13 are not so very different than those at U15-U16, whether you call the, ECNL, DA, or whatever the next great thing will be.

I think I saw a couple of former child prodigy athletes running cirles around everyone and the craps tables in Vegas this weekend, before passing out on the floor. They said they were doing just fine.

My friend, the literacy issues is yours, not mine. I was referring to the kids you mentioned who are no longer playing club or team soccer, not OM, and clearly said all of them are sure to get selected and end up on our YNT, not passed up.

OM and the rest may be the next great thing, not sad nor sorry about that, but right they now have a higher probability of having a career ending injury before 18 than making professional soccer a career. That is just a matter of statistics.

I do not see focusing on skills development and being on a team as mutually exclusive activities, in my fresh eyes you can do both and experience a more well-rounded development. Objectively, avoiding team soccer until 13-14 carries at least as many risks as potential benefits, and the coaches and systems available to you at U11-U13 are not so very different than those at U15-U16, whether you call the, ECNL, DA, or whatever the next great thing will be.

I think I saw a couple of former child prodigy athletes running cirles around everyone and the craps tables in Vegas this weekend, before passing out on the floor. They said they were doing just fine.

Although I enjoy the experienced parents perspectives there are many ways to navigate this new landscape. I presented additional ideas, and did not endorse one way or the other. I also think it's clear I was talking about one percenters here!
I for one think it takes a tremendous amount of courage to recognize that your daughter would be better served in a non traditional route and working towards that goal. It doesn't make it "wrong". Not participating in club for two years 11-13 will in fact not "hurt" anyone at all, especially if you have a gifted athlete. If you look at the very premise of DA it serves what they are doing- more specialized and focused training, limited games, film study. If they are getting touches with boys in futsal, as I wrote, they are enjoying a team aspect. If you have a private coach who is mentoring and teaming your daughter at the same cost of a club coach exactly how is that bad?
Some people are focused on goals that I would never personally be focused on. I would not endorse limiting my daughters social life by homeschooling but I also don't have a very special player who is featured on Instagram and Facebook , is meeting with YNT reps at 10-13 and takes pictures with soccer legends.
As for your last paragraph, I think it's obvious to anyone that child prodigy stars have a long road ahead. Unlike you though I support my friends choices, cheer on their daughters and would never hope they end up face down on a floor. Statistically I concur with you but I am not their parent. For me I would funnel money into a robotics coach or SAT prep over anything to do with soccer.
We didn't choose this system. 04 got our teams ripped to shreds then had DA dual band put upon us, then single band. Our age group has spent the last seven months not knowing what was happening and families are pretty much exasperated.
The older parents have all said the same thing- to be cautious about DA and what it means. Our ECNL teams are B teams at 04. So what exactly is wrong with a family deciding not only is DA not a golden ticket but their daughters are not B team ECNL players? Nothing.
What is wrong with families choosing an even more "off the radar choice" by choosing a local club with a great coach? Not a star team or club that they could have easily made?
Rate it dumb all you want ladies and gentleman my focus is my kid and doing the right thing for her and I will support any family who feels the same way.

Our ECNL teams are B teams at 04.

What is wrong with families choosing an even more "off the radar choice" by choosing a local club with a great coach? Not a star team or club that they could have easily made?

Rate it dumb all you want ladies and gentleman my focus is my kid and doing the right thing for her and I will support any family who feels the same way.

Arsenal, Strikers, Sereno, Heat, Del Mar, pretty much all of NorCal ECNL and a significant amount of the prior ECNL teams (~50 teams, or 60%) who either declined, never applied or were not invited to DA would argue against ECNL being all B teams.

I did not believe every Beach, Legends, LA Premier, Pats, etc. team was a B team when they were not in ECNL, nor do I grant them elite status just by joining DA. Same coaches, same fields, and more than likely many of the same players. They will not suddenly change their style of play and coaching because they have a new patch.

If you have a great coach and positive team/club culture, and the speed of play of your team, league, or private sessions are at a level to help you achieve your soccer goals, you should be happy.

Doing what is right for our kid is what we all try to achieve -- raising our children is our primary responsibility as parents. I think we can all agree on that.

Changing the patch is not gonna make your kid a better soccer player.

A mixture of a good club coach, personal trainer (soccer and weightlifting) and some discovery play at big showcases will be enough to give your kid a shot at the national team.

The data shows BDA has not produced a winning World Cup team. What makes anyone think the girls side will be any different? Has everyone noticed how other countries are catching up to the WNT?? Not sure ECNL or NPL is the answer either.

A mixture of a good club coach, personal trainer (soccer and weightlifting) and some discovery play at big showcases will be enough to give your kid a shot at the national team.

The data shows BDA has not produced a winning World Cup team. What makes anyone think the girls side will be any different? Has everyone noticed how other countries are catching up to the WNT?? Not sure ECNL or NPL is the answer either.
Neither will the status quo....everyone has the opinion DA isn't the answer, well, then what is? ECNL hasn't pushed the WNT forward enough to outpace teams like France, Japan, Korea, ect. US soccer and the ECNL brass couldn't work together to do what is best for the growth of the Women's game so it has become even more fractured.

As I've stated before, I'm not sold that DA is going to live up to the hype. But for an '04 DD who can play locally under a great coach in a great organization that happens to be DA why wouldn't you?

Neither will the status quo....everyone has the opinion DA isn't the answer, well, then what is? ECNL hasn't pushed the WNT forward enough to outpace teams like France, Japan, Korea, ect. US soccer and the ECNL brass couldn't work together to do what is best for the growth of the Women's game so it has become even more fractured.

As I've stated before, I'm not sold that DA is going to live up to the hype. But for an '04 DD who can play locally under a great coach in a great organization that happens to be DA why wouldn't you?

I think it's more important to focus on skills at the younger ages. There are a lot of poor ulittle coaches and those kids are developing bad habits at 8-11 that are hard to fix later on. I see a lot of girls in our age group who cannot correctly collect a ball and have a bad first touch. DA will not fix that. More oversight of coaching at the younger ages will.

With the other countries catching up or surpassing the USWNT, it had exposed the domestic player scouting process as flawed. I understand that DA is a money grab and power play from ECNl. But I am not so naive to think that the powers at be want a different process than ODP.

I am lead to believe that is one of the main points of DA, but who knows. Based on the balance of your point, you are reaffirming our decision to go DA and remain with her coach.

Da doesn't start until age 12-13. Too late to teach those skills. Any girl who wants to play da should have a good first touch and ability to collect a ball and have her head up to make a smart play. I don't see that being the case right now. US soccer should be taking more control over the real development ages, instead of stepping in at 12. If your Da coach is a good coach, and your daughter wants to make that commitment, by all means stay. But don't discount that taking control of the younger ages would be more effective in creating a greater pool of top players.

San Diego area GDA tryouts.

Albion appears to be the first to have official tryouts starting this Friday, March 24th (see bottom of page).
http://www.albionsoccer.org/tryoutinfo/161391.html?1490121233

LA Galaxy San Diego has been having kick-arounds and some open practices depending on age group. It appears that there are tryouts for the 2001/2002's starting March 29th.
http://lagalaxysd.com/tryout/

Surf does not have any tryout dates listed yet, but they do have a very good FAQ page.
http://www.surfsoccer.com/ussda-girls/

Da doesn't start until age 12-13. Too late to teach those skills. Any girl who wants to play da should have a good first touch and ability to collect a ball and have her head up to make a smart play. I don't see that being the case right now. US soccer should be taking more control over the real development ages, instead of stepping in at 12. If your Da coach is a good coach, and your daughter wants to make that commitment, by all means stay. But don't discount that taking control of the younger ages would be more effective in creating a greater pool of top players.
I agree with your assessment 100%.

I think it's more important to focus on skills at the younger ages. There are a lot of poor ulittle coaches and those kids are developing bad habits at 8-11 that are hard to fix later on. I see a lot of girls in our age group who cannot correctly collect a ball and have a bad first touch. DA will not fix that. More oversight of coaching at the younger ages will.

There is some recognition of this by US Soccer. That's why they are putting in place the small-standards this year from u-6 through u-12.
http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2015/08/24/18/07/150824-coaching-player-development-initiatives-rel

Better coaching would be awesome, but's it tough to find high-level a coach that wants to coach 10 year olds all their life.

Scouting is a big deal. Does anyone here think U soccer has better scouts that the NFL or NBA? Heck no.....they earn less and don't have the big money to truly evaluate and vet players.

IMO the fist thing scouts should look is mental toughness. Can u play at a high level when u are sick and injured? Do u raise your game when it counts? Do you make the biggest plays in the biggest moments?

Busts - Sam Bowie, Ryan leaf, Jared Geoff, heath Schuler, Greg Oden,. Perhaps US soccer has scouts with the same eyes that scouted these dopes.

I believe we can fix this area right away.

I agree 200% with you! These skills need to be taught and mastered at a young age to be able to play at a high level and be successful at an older age! I don't think there are enough "technical" coaches at the younger ages hence why some players are missing these skills later on. I would say CB has spent much of his soccer life with 10 year old's and he has mastered how to teach technical soccer. If only we could clone him. :)

Back