Girls Development Academy

Sorry, but 40K is NOT the starting salary for the average NWSL player(non-Sr WNT). It was just released they are doubling the minimum for those players from 7K to 14K a year. You can make as much without a college education flipping burgers (choose your fast food restaurant).
Correction it's 15K. Attached is the source from topdrawersoccer 8th paragraph, last sentence.
http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/coll...omens-players-eye-opportunity-abroad_aid41463

But this belief that 40K for playing soccer for 6 months is far from "ridiculous."

$40,000, or more correctly, $39,700 was the maximum salary allowed for non-National Team players, not an average. The $278,000 salary cap was being split amongst around 18-20 players, and since many clubs did not even spend to the cap, compensation is closer to $15,000 per player average. Further, each club is allowed up to 10 amateur players who get paid $0, and are allowed to play in games.

They raised the minimum salary to $15,000 for next year, but unlikely it will have a huge impact on overall averages as they are not going to risk the league by doubling the salary cap, and most clubs do not spend to the cap anyway.

Two other leagues have proven that paying these women more does not result in longevity, but we need to be honest. If you are not on the WNT, you are not making a lot for your 6 months of work.

Again dependant. They haven't even set the regional showcase schedule up yet. I assume because there are so many clubs that travel would be limited actually.
From what I have seen with my stud friends they are getting full offers and then some. So far everyone has been very happy with the outcomes honestly I haven't heard a lot of dissent
$40,000, or more correctly, $39,700 was the maximum salary allowed for non-National Team players, not an average. The $278,000 salary cap was being split amongst around 18-20 players, and since many clubs did not even spend to the cap, compensation is closer to $15,000 per player average. Further, each club is allowed up to 10 amateur players who get paid $0, and are allowed to play in games.

They raised the minimum salary to $15,000 for next year, but unlikely it will have a huge impact on overall averages as they are not going to risk the league by doubling the salary cap, and most clubs do not spend to the cap anyway.

Two other leagues have proven that paying these women more does not result in longevity, but we need to be honest. If you are not on the WNT, you are not making a lot for your 6 months of work.
thought the idea was to become famous enough to eventually get paid for all of your snap chats and tweets like Alex Morgan!

IMO, the NWSL is squarely designed to provide a professional league obviously to benefit the WNT rostered players and the US Soccer Federation. The Federation wants the #1 ranked womens team and the players to remain sharp for international competition (WC and Olympics) without having to move to Europe. The vast majority of the players in the league are roster fillers who make peanuts and live with sponsored familes.

IMO, the NWSL is squarely designed to provide a professional league obviously to benefit the WNT rostered players and the US Soccer Federation. The Federation wants the #1 ranked womens team and the players to remain sharp for international competition (WC and Olympics) without having to move to Europe. The vast majority of the players in the league are roster fillers who make peanuts and live with sponsored familes.

C0uld not agree more -- the Girls DA has the exact same singular goal of improving the USWNT. Any other benefits are incidental.

Therin lies the issue. They could try to actually benefit more female youth soccer players, develop female coaches, and build the women's game, but that is not their goal. And the ladies on the USWNT are starting to realize it.

I believe the recent move of Morgan, Dunn and Lloyd is the beginning of a new trend to play outside our borders. Creating new and alternative futures for female players.

Sorry, but 40K is NOT the starting salary for the average NWSL player(non-Sr WNT). It was just released they are doubling the minimum for those players from 7K to 14K a year. You can make as much without a college education flipping burgers (choose your fast food restaurant).

I concede, I concede!! I thought MAP's "player" would be a max player. My mistake. ;)

I concede, I concede!! I thought MAP's "player" would be a max player. My mistake. ;)

MAP's daughter....could be very well be a max player AND 40k is STILL a shitty salary. Besides, NoGoal posted actual salary info 7k-14k. No one sends their DD to college to make 14k a year or essentially volunteering to play soccer . Glen your comprehension and sense of humor sucks!

Whether she would be a max player or not a starting NWSL salary would be less than what she can make coming out of her school with her degree not even considering that she will have a masters in hand or 2 years of medical school completed.

I understood your original post Glen and I want to thank you for your kindness. My player loves soccer but she has specific goals outside of soccer. If she does decide to play professionally for a couple years I would imagine that it would be across the pond unless she is a WNT subsidized player. She did like England and Spain a lot and she really likes Chelsea's women's coach.

At the end of the day I simply want her to follow her passion and to enjoy these next 6-7 years because life sneaks up on you quickly. Right now she is having fun, training hard just trying to win a national title and continue getting straight A's. If she decides she wants to make beans for a little while in order to try and make a WWC or Olympic roster I will do what I have always done. Support her fully with my cheers and my checkbook. That's what we parents do. Thanks again Glen.

MAP's daughter....could be very well be a max player AND 40k is STILL a shitty salary. Besides, NoGoal posted actual salary info 7k-14k. No one sends their DD to college to make 14k a year or essentially volunteering to play soccer . Glen your comprehension and sense of humor sucks!

Personally I want my player to be like @shales1002. Talented and smart with a big time degree and an NCAA championship.

Whether she would be a max player or not a starting NWSL salary would be less than what she can make coming out of her school with her degree not even considering that she will have a masters in hand or 2 years of medical school completed.

I understood your original post Glen and I want to thank you for your kindness. My player loves soccer but she has specific goals outside of soccer. If she does decide to play professionally for a couple years I would imagine that it would be across the pond unless she is a WNT subsidized player. She did like England and Spain a lot and she really likes Chelsea's women's coach.

At the end of the day I simply want her to follow her passion and to enjoy these next 6-7 years because life sneaks up on you quickly. Right now she is having fun, training hard just trying to win a national title and continue getting straight A's. If she decides she wants to make beans for a little while in order to try and make a WWC or Olympic roster I will do what I have always done. Support her fully with my cheers and my checkbook. That's what we parents do. Thanks again Glen.

I shouldn't have said anything. It's your kid and you have a handle on it.

But as I think you grasped, I wasn't advocating that she make a career of it (although maybe she is one of the few that could). Most kids are still struggling to figure out what they want to do when they graduate and it's hard sledding. To have what I perceive as a luxury, and go play soccer for a few years to figure it out ain't so bad. If they don't need that time, even better.

Especially when the new US soccer DA girls director was quoted as saying Girls DA leads to a path directly to professional teams. 50% college athletic scholarships (the average) pay more than the NWSL minimum salary of 15K.

I shouldn't have said anything. It's your kid and you have a handle on it.

But as I think you grasped, I wasn't advocating that she make a career of it (although maybe she is one of the few that could). Most kids are still struggling to figure out what they want to do when they graduate and it's hard sledding. To have what I perceive as a luxury, and go play soccer for a few years to figure it out ain't so bad. If they don't need that time, even better.

I agree and thanks again for the kind words.

Even Mallory Pugh turned down a pro contract and she was on the US WNT roster. Instead she took the UCLA college scholarship to enjoy being a college student athlete. IMO, she and her family made a very wise decision, because part of her compensation would have been a player bonus estimated at 170K, if the team won the Olympics. Which the team didn't.

Even Mallory Pugh turned down a pro contract and she was on the US WNT roster. Instead she took the UCLA college scholarship to enjoy being a college student athlete. IMO, she and her family made a very wise decision, because part of her compensation would have been a player bonus estimated at 170K, if the team won the Olympics. Which the team didn't.

I remember the debate well. She has an excellent support system around her and like most soccer girls she is really smart and an excellent student. Her parents are outstanding people and are very good at managing the circus surrounding their teenager.

"Isn't their forward enrolling early at Santa Clara too?" - MAP
Didn't want to leave this unanswered, but yes, she did leave at end of first half of ECNL season and did not travel to Silverlake.
Also, have been busy with the U18 WNT.

"Isn't their forward enrolling early at Santa Clara too?" - MAP
Didn't want to leave this unanswered, but yes, she did leave at end of first half of ECNL season and did not travel to Silverlake.
Also, have been busy with the U18 WNT.

My player saw her in camp with the U18's although that was before the end of the year. I believe that she has matriculated to the U19's. She will do well at Santa Clara.

Thanks for the update.

Back