GAL high school play unlikely in CA

If most of these clubs have their top kids in ECNL or ECNR, and the second and third kids in a combination of ga and dpl teams, then how much leverage do they have in keeping kids out of high school. Legends, Beach and Albion will, if possible, not allow this relegation to stand. I assume they will try to make the GA a direct competitor to ECNL by next year.

Oh relegation? That would be a improvement don't see much of that anymore more like....let's switch leagues to xyx they promised us the top flight

CSL premier->SCDSL, DA, ECNL
SCDSL->DISCO, NPL, ECRL
DA->ECNL,MLSY, GA
National league->CRL, CRL academy

Some stuff new packaging. Some regional expansion of course so new leagues are/where inevitable but the fact they don't cross-play normally, share, or are working together is kind of disappointing with the sprawl.

One of the biggest mistakes Ussda made was not having promotion/relegation in the DA league in my opinion after critical mass.. Their misguided attempt at 2 tiers for the older boys age group was a fiasco that really upset a lot of clubs and they went searching.

Zero leverage. The only leverage those clowns had on my dd was that List. We told them to go pound sound and you will see how stupid you are for not allowing hs soccer. Fools in business 101.
If high school sports worked for Lebron and Lamar Jackson, why can't it work for soccer? Am I missing something? In So Cal, we are lucky in that most of us live in areas where there are numerous options for high school, both public and private. If a crappy high school coach is local that plays long ball and your club is possession based, then drive an extra ten minutes to the possession coach.

Does or did youth soccer really need another high priced closed league that

Oh relegation? That would be a improvement don't see much of that anymore more like....let's switch leagues to xyx they promised us the top flight

SCDSL->DISCO, NPL, ECRL
DA->ECNL,MLSY, GA

Some stuff new packaging. Some expansion of course so new leagues are/where inevitable but the fact they don't cross-play normally, share, or are working together is kind of disappointing with the sprawl.

One of the biggest mistakes Ussda made was not having promotion/relegation in the DA league in my opinion after critical mass.. There misguided attempt at 2 tiers for the older boys age group was a fiasco that really upset a lot of clubs and thus they went searching.
This is our last year 100%.

Now you know who to talk with if your given the same old spiel on a different day :cool:

EWzTJkPUwAAsGhP
Then don't say you have a "10-month season". Either you have a 10-month season and can't really let playres play high school (like DA), or you have a 7-8 month season and all of your teams will break for high school like ECNL, till end of March. Or just say, "we don't really know what we're going to do right now." That might be the real truth.

Then don't say you have a "10-month season". Either you have a 10-month season and can't really let playres play high school (like DA), or you have a 7-8 month season and all of your teams will break for high school like ECNL, till end of March. Or just say, "we don't really know what we're going to do right now." That might be the real truth.
The league is giving the DOC's an option. You know where most DOC"s will try to go. The hard part is the whole conference needs to decide one way or another. I'm sure those will be some fun fights.

SCDSL->DISCO, NPL, ECRL
DA->ECNL,MLSY, GA

Some stuff new packaging. Some regional expansion of course so new leagues are/where inevitable but the fact they don't cross-play normally, share, or are working together is kind of disappointing with the sprawl.

One of the biggest mistakes Ussda made was not having promotion/relegation in the DA league in my opinion after critical mass.. Their misguided attempt at 2 tiers for the older boys age group was a fiasco that really upset a lot of clubs and they went searching.
No problem, don't worry. The top players will be playing against each other in college. Everything else is just youth soccer, enjoy the time with your player.

No problem, don't worry. The top players will be playing against each other in college. Everything else is just youth soccer, enjoy the time with your player.

No worries 1 through college, 1 freshman, 1 class of 2021 they all had great experiences with youth soccer but the last one might be the only one to want to play in college if things improve. Some excellent competition during those years, but it did get harder to find that consistently as things sprawled out.

is it just a CA-based league? If so, easy to break as you say. Or is it a national league? In which case you can have a 7-8 month season but it’s a different 7-8 months for the 25 or so states that play HS in fall, the 6 that play in winter and the others that play in spring.

is it just a CA-based league? If so, easy to break as you say. Or is it a national league? In which case you can have a 7-8 month season but it’s a different 7-8 months for the 25 or so states that play HS in fall, the 6 that play in winter and the others that play in spring.

Conferences and clubs working together to account for regional difference have found a way for many years. ECNL, USclub and yes even DA did that.

They are start and end dates for parts of the season that are guidelines. Some teams might have first league game early Sept and a game of week for next 4 while others have 1-2 games in Sept and more in later months Oct-Nov or a 3 -4 week break between to accommodate Addias cup or some other comp. This is one of reasons why the DA schedules weren't even consistent among teams in the same conference, some would play 13 games first half others 17 and the other way around 2nd half. End Totals close but still allowed for variance between 28-33 games could be the range, PPG used to determine standings.

It's all doable no matter if the scheduling is centralized or not. Clubs and conference always have to give availability dates & field permits either way so just have to work through the combos. ECNL is a perfect example they have conference play starting up early or later depending on the region. Even in the same conference NV teams might be back later Feb but CA teams not scheduled to late March for example. It's all been rehashed and done every year, really not a problem if the proper planning and coordination is done.

Conferences and clubs working together to account for regional difference have found a way for many years. ECNL, USclub and yes even DA did that.

They are start and end dates for parts of the season that are guidelines. Some teams might have first league game early Sept and a game of week for next 4 while others have 1-2 games in Sept and more in later months Oct-Nov or a 3 -4 week break between to accommodate Addias cup or some other comp. This is one of reasons why the DA schedules weren't even consistent among teams in the same conference, some would play 13 games first half others 17 and the other way around 2nd half. End Totals close but still allowed for variance between 28-33 games could be the range, PPG used to determine standings.

It's all doable no matter if the scheduling is centralized or not. Clubs and conference always have to give availability dates & field permits either way so just have to work through the combos. ECNL is a perfect example they have conference play starting up early or later depending on the region. Even in the same conference NV teams might be back later Feb but CA teams not scheduled to late March for example. It's all been rehashed and done every year, really not a problem if the proper planning and coordination is done.

I agree with all of that - leave to clubs. But you use Nevada as an example but Nevada plays HS in the fall (at least according to this: https://www.niaa.com/landing/index) so there is only a full match in the spring when the club schedule can line up. ECNL has managed that so I assume that the new league can. But it’s also why some ECNL teams have a complete league season played entirely in the fall or entirely in the spring while the CA teams have had a relatively balanced schedule. I’m not saying it can’t be done - I’m an advocate for it to be done by ceding league scheduling time clubs - but I’m saying that if scheduling is centralized (like for all or nearly all of DA’s existence), it’s a harder task and one that US soccer did not seem interested in taking on although it may have balked for more publicly-stated philosophical reasons re the “evil” of HS sports. I’m also saying that too often on these boards, especially California-based ones, the assumption is made that the HS soccer season for everyone is the same so it should be easy to work around. If people don’t take into account that other states don’t, or even can’t, play winter HS, the scheduling tends to be portrayed as overly simple when it is not. And last, any league can expressly permit HS participation during the club season but unless a specific state’s HS governing federation (cif for us) allows it, what the league rule says becomes largely irrelevant because kids will likely have to choose unless they want to up their risk of injury by playing simultaneously (as I mentioned elsewhere, even if a state permits it, playing what would likely be a 7 day/week schedule for a couple of months, with week after week of 4 or 5 games, is unhealthy).

This is NFHS’s link to the different state dates (at least for the current academic year): https://nfhs.org/media/1018591/soccer-state-association-competition-dates-report-2019-20.pdf.

There are 10 teams in the SW GAL. That's 18 League Games with home and away fixtures. Unless they are playing a crazy tournament schedule, inter-league showcase schedule, and playoff schedule it's gonna be tough to fill 10 months unless you have ridiculous travel. Maybe they play more than a single home and away against each team in their league. Who knows....Feels like the league is just positioning we are a real league with plenty of clubs, can play a full 10 months, and we are legit. Hopefully the adults will see clearly when the dust settles.

Last edited:
There are 10 teams in the SW GAL. That's 18 League Games with home and away fixtures. Unless they are playing a crazy tournament schedule, inter-league showcase schedule, and playoff schedule it's gonna be two tough to fill 10 months unless you have ridiculous travel. Maybe they play more than a single home and away against each team in their league. Who knows....Feels like the league is just positioning we are a real league with plenty of clubs, can play a full 10 months, and we are legit. Hopefully the adults will see clearly when the dust settles.
If you need more games, play both GAL and the local league. Same as norcal teams play ECNL and NPL.

Honestly, 18 League games plus scrimmages plus 4 tournaments/showcases sounds like quite a bit to me. It's more than they do in college.

I agree with all of that - leave to clubs. But you use Nevada as an example but Nevada plays HS in the fall (at least according to this: https://www.niaa.com/landing/index) so there is only a full match in the spring when the club schedule can line up. ECNL has managed that so I assume that the new league can. But it’s also why some ECNL teams have a complete league season played entirely in the fall or entirely in the spring while the CA teams have had a relatively balanced schedule. I’m not saying it can’t be done - I’m an advocate for it to be done by ceding league scheduling time clubs - but I’m saying that if scheduling is centralized (like for all or nearly all of DA’s existence), it’s a harder task and one that US soccer did not seem interested in taking on although it may have balked for more publicly-stated philosophical reasons re the “evil” of HS sports. I’m also saying that too often on these boards, especially California-based ones, the assumption is made that the HS soccer season for everyone is the same so it should be easy to work around. If people don’t take into account that other states don’t, or even can’t, play winter HS, the scheduling tends to be portrayed as overly simple when it is not. And last, any league can expressly permit HS participation during the club season but unless a specific state’s HS governing federation (cif for us) allows it, what the league rule says becomes largely irrelevant because kids will likely have to choose unless they want to up their risk of injury by playing simultaneously (as I mentioned elsewhere, even if a state permits it, playing what would likely be a 7 day/week schedule for a couple of months, with week after week of 4 or 5 games, is unhealthy).

This is NFHS’s link to the different state dates (at least for the current academic year): https://nfhs.org/media/1018591/soccer-state-association-competition-dates-report-2019-20.pdf.
You're correct Nevada does play High school soccer in the fall, and the girls that felt it was important played both, at the same time. It is definitely tough on them, but there are no high school games on the weekend, and my kiddo looked at the high school practices as extra fitness/touches on the ball.

CA issue is CIF.

Honestly if club stops Thanksgiving weekend, and High School soccer goes to 3rd week in Feb., only looking at just over 2 1/2 months of High School soccer. They can make that work. (Yes I know a few teams played the complete month of Feb.)

why would you want to make this work for your kid? It'll literally be 12 months of soccer which means very little body recovery time. Not a smart decision for club, player or parent.

Back