GAL high school play unlikely in CA

This excerpt from Soccer America makes it sound like CA high school soccer an unlikelihood for players in GAL. If a 10-month season is one of the staples of the league, the California HS Sports governing bodies don't allow for playing HS plus club at once.

SA: The Development Player League in its announcement about the Girls Academy League mentioned "offering the flexibility to play high school soccer."

RICK DERELLA:
It's going to be a 10-month season, but most states can play high school at the same time as club. In Connecticut, you cannot.

SA: The distinction would be that instead of the Development Academy, which banned girls from playing high school, now girls will be allowed to play if it's practical and permissible.

RICK DERELLA:
The problem is, the science doesn't match. Anyone that believes in periodization can't believe in doing both.

Honestly if club stops Thanksgiving weekend, and High School soccer goes to 3rd week in Feb., only looking at just over 2 1/2 months of High School soccer. They can make that work. (Yes I know a few teams played the complete month of Feb.)

In CA the high school league season is pretty short, mostly JAN-FEB with some playoffs going into March. Preseason in DEC so they should be able accommodate might have to miss/skip some things on the club side but that's they way things used to be.

It's not about the kids.
No it;s not coach buck. This is sad and leaves a pit in my tummy. It's an addiction for sure with some. Soccer is powerful and political. It's been a tough few days on me emotionally with soccer but the light is much brighter today.

Don't know about Girls DA, but on boys side (when it existed) even though they had DA season going, they either never had games or had 1 game during Dec-March period. I could never understand why they didn't allow HS soccer.

"10-month season" would suggest weekly games at end of January, all of February, and beg. of March--that's how DA was set up. Most high school players are playing through Feb and into March. In comparison, after Thxg, ECNL doesn't return to games in Cali till end of March.

A healthy soccer year should be six months broken up into two halves and extra month if your team makes the playoffs

ECNL- August, Sepetember and October (First league game mid-August
Surf Cup Labor Day College Showcase
League Break November thru Feb
ECNL- March, April and May
Spring Break College Showcase AZ, East Coast and Texas I guess
Championship June at Great Park

If my kid isn't playing sports her whole demeanor drops. She physically needs to stay very active, playing soccer, basketball, and track. Sometimes two at once. Her grades are better, her attitude better. Kids have been playing multiple sports year round forever. My wife and myself did in the 70's and 80's. Now does it need to be the same thing all the time, or completely organized, with games every week, no, but that is on us, the parents, to keep them on the right schedule. Whether that be 6 months, 12 months, or in between, its good to have choices.

Honestly if club stops Thanksgiving weekend, and High School soccer goes to 3rd week in Feb., only looking at just over 2 1/2 months of High School soccer. They can make that work. (Yes I know a few teams played the complete month of Feb.)

CIS Regional Finals this year were March 7 (Regional means more or less Fresno and neighboring areas south, where everyone plays soccer after football and before baseball). By the time the playoffs get to the final week, there are very few schools still in it, but their teams are likely to include the best players and there is increasing social pressure to stick with the HS team instead of returning to new club play.

Don't know about Girls DA, but on boys side (when it existed) even though they had DA season going, they either never had games or had 1 game during Dec-March period. I could never understand why they didn't allow HS soccer.

Power is meaningless unless exerted.

Why? Because that period is used by only by 6 states for HS (CA, AZ, FL, HI, LA and MI) and US Soccer likely did not want to cede league game scheduling to the clubs (like ECNL seems to do). 25 states + DC play HS in the fall and the balance in the spring. I'm not going to defend US Soccer and the DA program (boys or girls) but I will say that to coordinate national scheduling with all the different HS seasons would be a large and challenging endeavor. Especially when they expect a certain level of participation in showcases. For them to have allowed HS and not play "favorites" (as in, permit the winter HS states) would have required a release of scheduling control that never seemed consistent with their goals. If they had, I think that there would have been much more broad-based buy-in from a number of the stronger clubs in our state and other states where HS soccer is big. Would it have survived? Hard to know but there would have been a much higher number of parents who were emotionally and financially invested in that platform's success.

In CA the high school league season is pretty short, mostly JAN-FEB with some playoffs going into March. Preseason in DEC so they should be able accommodate might have to miss/skip some things on the club side but that's they way things used to be.
High School season officially starts Novemeber 18 - you are allowed (2) scrimmages where club players are allowed to play as long as they end by Thanksgiving weekend. After that its tournaments and preseason and you are not allowed to play club

Why? Because that period is used by only by 6 states for HS (CA, AZ, FL, HI, LA and MI) and US Soccer likely did not want to cede league game scheduling to the clubs (like ECNL seems to do). 25 states + DC play HS in the fall and the balance in the spring. I'm not going to defend US Soccer and the DA program (boys or girls) but I will say that to coordinate national scheduling with all the different HS seasons would be a large and challenging endeavor. Especially when they expect a certain level of participation in showcases. For them to have allowed HS and not play "favorites" (as in, permit the winter HS states) would have required a release of scheduling control that never seemed consistent with their goals. If they had, I think that there would have been much more broad-based buy-in from a number of the stronger clubs in our state and other states where HS soccer is big. Would it have survived? Hard to know but there would have been a much higher number of parents who were emotionally and financially invested in that platform's success.

Nah there where few games like #Eagle33 says between Dec-march and only in recent years where Jan or feb games scheduled.

First years of DA HS play was common and willing scheduled around, was only when JK came in that changes to prohibit public HS play where implement. Even still teams and people will attended private HS found ways to make it work.

This is a about perception, 10-month or whatever program offers diminishing returns for majority of the players. They never really operated for the full 10 months anyway but it was a "selling' point or whatever so people thought they where more "elite".

High School season officially starts Novemeber 18 - you are allowed (2) scrimmages where club players are allowed to play as long as they end by Thanksgiving weekend. After that its tournaments and preseason and you are not allowed to play club

In our section first league game starts in Jan ends in Feb.

Our local HS didn't even scrimmage until the pre season in Dec and there first competition was late Dec in a tournament.

There are lots of way to avoid any conflicts and coaches know that when they have a bunch of club players they schedule accordingly and have rosters to accommodate when players are available.

Is the Restriction is "no club players" or "players cant play club the same month they are also playing HS"?

Second seems easier to work around.

In our section first league game starts in Jan ends in Feb.

Our local HS didn't even scrimmage until the pre season in Dec and there first competition was late Dec in a tournament.

There are lots of way to avoid any conflicts and coaches know that when they have a bunch of club players they schedule accordingly and have rosters to accommodate when players are available.

you are taking a California-centric view. That works for a regional league but does not for a national league. And that was my point above. It's not that, say, DA could have permitted California players to play HS but that that would be "unfair" to the other 44 states + DC where HS soccer is NOT played in the winter.

You can't just tell the rest of the country to get on the CA schedule as fields are just not usable in winter. If the new league wants to centralize scheduling for all competitions (league and any showcases), it is an enormous undertaking if a certain number of clubs will shut down during fall, another number in winter and another number if spring. (and if they permit dual participation- HS and club - in the states where that is allowed, they should not be administering a youth sports platform. There is enough evidence of the injury risk of overuse that nobody needs a platform that expressly permits it)

Back