Freshman High School- thoughts?

Why would the “dirty play” be missed in a properly run 2-man system? ...

With the 2 man system there tends to be an "eyeball" hole behind (not in front of) the attack. Since you don't have that AR watching the 2nd to last defender, but the "Train" Ref watching is 15-20 yards behind the play (which means the Train Ref is sometimes 20-30 yards in front of the attacking teams defenders and the defending teams forwards (who are all walking/jogging back into position after a thwarted attack ), the opportunity for dirty forwards or defenders to give a little elbow, push or punch to each other or the GK that won't be seen by the Train Ref or the Lead Ref on the other side of the field exists.

With the 3 man system the extra pair of eyeballs that the trailing AR has helps keep the non-sense to a minimum.

To compound the above, when it comes to non-Varsity games there is a propensity to just pay for a single referee and the dirty play/nonsense increases.

Reading the forums for the past several years, I get the general impression that the older girls are reall A-holes. I personally have no experience other than what I read here, and there is a lot to read. My experience with the boys is 180 degrees different what I read about the girls. Does anyone have experience with both?

Have had and still have multiple experiences with both. Yes, of course, they are different. I can not go regularly because my schedule does not allow it but I have always gone when the opportunity allows for it. As mentioned, the boys are easy, they don't care what you do as it doesn't change what they are going to do or behave, generally. When they are practicing, they are more focused on practice and playing and don't think about parents. Girls, on the other hand... From my experience, girls have a different motivation. Parents force them to be there, some don't want to do PE and this is an easy way to slack, they slack at practice and don't want parents to see that, etc., etc. However, there are also many that take it serious. Mine liked for me to see and provide feedback on different things that we worked on or she worked on with club or private coach so it was a interactive practice for her when I am there. High School provides a different look against different styles that allow players to do different things and work on creativity, etc. When and where I grew up as a kid, schools didn't have High School sports so I find it entertaining that in the US, people think High School soccer is bad. I have experienced no down side for my players and used it to benefit my players. In my experience, the parents who did the most complaining, had the least amount of experience in the sport and were just repeating bullet points from other parents or sources.

In short, if your kid doesn't want you there, it may be because they don't want you to see them not working. Lots and lots of girl gossip. This was not a problem for boys.

Have had and still have multiple experiences with both. Yes, of course, they are different. I can not go regularly because my schedule does not allow it but I have always gone when the opportunity allows for it. As mentioned, the boys are easy, they don't care what you do as it doesn't change what they are going to do or behave, generally. When they are practicing, they are more focused on practice and playing and don't think about parents. Girls, on the other hand... From my experience, girls have a different motivation. Parents force them to be there, some don't want to do PE and this is an easy way to slack, they slack at practice and don't want parents to see that, etc., etc. However, there are also many that take it serious. Mine liked for me to see and provide feedback on different things that we worked on or she worked on with club or private coach so it was a interactive practice for her when I am there. High School provides a different look against different styles that allow players to do different things and work on creativity, etc. When and where I grew up as a kid, schools didn't have High School sports so I find it entertaining that in the US, people think High School soccer is bad. I have experienced no down side for my players and used it to benefit my players. In my experience, the parents who did the most complaining, had the least amount of experience in the sport and were just repeating bullet points from other parents or sources.

In short, if your kid doesn't want you there, it may be because they don't want you to see them not working. Lots and lots of girl gossip. This was not a problem for boys.
Thanks for the insights. My son plays hard whether or not I am there or not. So that's not really the problem. I think that the problem is being 14. Its about shoes, cloths, going to the mall on Sunday with friends, mother wearing the wrong type of sunglasses, talking to anyone on the field, cheering to loud, saying his name, having a camper shell (soft top) on my truck. The list is endless and ever changing.
But after watching the Parker Cup tournament this weekend, he was a monster, so I guess that he is allowed some leeway.

I went to the semifinal game for the Parker Cup. I have never been to a more exiting game in all my club days. It went to sudden death over time and both teams went into over drive. The game was fast and boys were all physical with each other. This was our 6th game in 1 week and I was already exhausted. The son was apparently just fine. We have another regular season game today and the finals for the tournament on Friday. I don't know if I'll make it.

Well it is time for the Christmas break. Just wondering is this part of the season, before Christmas, like pre-season. We have not played any league games. How important is overall record vs league record?

Well it is time for the Christmas break. Just wondering is this part of the season, before Christmas, like pre-season. We have not played any league games. How important is overall record vs league record?
It is high school soccer, none of it is important. I know that both the overall record and the league record are important for varsity teams with respect to seeding for CIF with wins and losses being weighted depending on the strength of the opposing team. I don't know how any of it matters for the freshman and JV teams.

In San Diego Section, overall record decides Section playoff seeding. Each league is guaranteed at least one entry, but it might be in a lower division if the numbers do not support an Open seed.

It is high school soccer, none of it is important. I know that both the overall record and the league record are important for varsity teams with respect to seeding for CIF with wins and losses being weighted depending on the strength of the opposing team. I don't know how any of it matters for the freshman and JV teams.
Just talking varsity.

With the 2 man system there tends to be an "eyeball" hole behind (not in front of) the attack. Since you don't have that AR watching the 2nd to last defender, but the "Train" Ref watching is 15-20 yards behind the play (which means the Train Ref is sometimes 20-30 yards in front of the attacking teams defenders and the defending teams forwards (who are all walking/jogging back into position after a thwarted attack ), the opportunity for dirty forwards or defenders to give a little elbow, push or punch to each other or the GK that won't be seen by the Train Ref or the Lead Ref on the other side of the field exists.

With the 3 man system the extra pair of eyeballs that the trailing AR has helps keep the non-sense to a minimum.

To compound the above, when it comes to non-Varsity games there is a propensity to just pay for a single referee and the dirty play/nonsense increases.

That was a typo in my original post. It is trail ref and not train ref. In all of my years as a HS ref I have never had a problem with dirty play from the forward and defenders that were behind me. I also look back often. I also work a dual ref system in the military leagues i Referee. If there was going to be problems it would be in this league full of type-A personalities. I worked a game between a team of Navy SEALs vs USMC Recon and had no problems.

That was a typo in my original post. It is trail ref and not train ref. In all of my years as a HS ref I have never had a problem with dirty play from the forward and defenders that were behind me. I also look back often. I also work a dual ref system in the military leagues i Referee. If there was going to be problems it would be in this league full of type-A personalities. I worked a game between a team of Navy SEALs vs USMC Recon and had no problems.

Mutual Assured Destruction.

What HS teams are you following? I am trying to keep tabs on Crespi, Alemany, Kennedy, Burbank, Calabasas, Flintridge Prep. Kids on my sons club team are playing at those schools

Back