Freshman High School- thoughts?

I like this thread.... Reminds me of when my older kid started playing HS soccer.

Two things worth sharing:

1) Get rid of all expectations you (parent) might have about any relationship between your son's soccer playing ability and what level team he'll be placed onto.

There are lots that go into coaches decision to put players where. Ability is only one of the many variables. Things like booster club volunteers' kids, paying your dues as underclassman, the community relationships and so on. Don't forget that there is no HS soccer without funding from the booster club. Vast majority of the school districts have no money to sustain the program without it.

2) Since the coaches are focused on winning, they will play the players that will give the best chance of winning. This usually means bigger and faster to gain physical advantage, since they don't have enough skilled players to anything else.

The team is usually made up of the cross section of the local community and the talent pool is not what it is in the competitive club teams. As someone noted that having to play with AYSO players, well, some may not play soccer at all aside from HS. The season is too short to develop players and about the only thing the coaches can do is to try bonding some chemistry between the players.

So, just sit back, make your donation, forget the quality of the game and just remind yourself that its not about you - its about your son enjoying and representing his HS.

Btw, my older kid, when Freshman, forward, was 5-2, and 90 lbs all wet was put on JV. I recall him playing against CB about 6-2. I have a picture where the top of my son's head almost reached the CB's shoulder. He grew over the following summer and was starter for the Varsity team after that year. He's now 5-11, 165 lbs and still plays a forward but in college.

I remember having some of the feelings many of you are sharing then. Now having gone through the cycle, our younger kid on JV as a Sophomore is just fine with us. He starts and plays all of the game most of the time so no complaints and he's having fun.

The problem with freshman playing varsity is not skill but just size. the injuries can be severe. If your child is awesome but the coach kept him/her on the freshman team, just have them enjoy the ride. I always wanted my son to make it to jv or varsity as a freshman. Then I saw the size difference and injuries and I am glad that he is playing at the freshman level.

My 03 boy is a GK (6'1" @150) ... a stick figure between the sticks. While he is tall for his age and probably a little heavier than 90% of the 2003s, he needs another 30 to 40 pounds to make the varsity forwards think twice about a collision. He plays a year up for club and its about even. When he plays down (his age), the forwards think twice and I've seen a number of instances where the forwards are skittish about collisions. When he practices with the 99's, 2000s and 2001s (seniors and juniors), they relish the idea of running over the baby GK.

Give him a few years of weight training and finishing off puberty and he will be much better equipped to handle the collisions. At this time, I would appreciate his coaches send him down from the JV team, but his skill level and the propensity for GK's to get injured because of the dirty play that slides through using the 2-Man system make it a good possibility that the kid will find himself on varsity before the season is over (if he survives his stint on JV).

Btw, my older kid, when Freshman, forward, was 5-2, and 90 lbs all wet was put on JV. I recall him playing against CB about 6-2. I have a picture where the top of my son's head almost reached the CB's shoulder.
At Wednesdays game my son was playing left mid and was on a boy that was at least a foot taller than him and solid. Son plays aggressively and will play through any and all. When he tried that here he found that he had to do something else. Being good with his foot work and speed he was able to play around the larger boy. I am very happy that his first year of HS is challenging him and it is nice to see that his effort in club is paying off. He is looking forward to the tryouts next year at club to finally get noticed.

My son can't play high school.
My daughter made varsity as a freshman... it was great until she started hanging out with Seniors.
I would suggest that your son play with his friends in Frosh/Soph or even JV...
Plenty of time to play varsity when his friends are older.
My son is new to the schools. As a freshman on the varsity team, he is fitting in well with all the older boys. So far there is no interest or invitation from the older boys to hang out. Maybe girls are different, I don't have any. Sons biggest complaint is that I come and watch the last 30 minutes of practice and the other kids may see me sitting there watching. I shold just wait in the parking lot. I am not really allowed to speak to him until were in the truck. There is no way that I was like this when is was 14.

My son is new to the schools. As a freshman on the varsity team, he is fitting in well with all the older boys. So far there is no interest or invitation from the older boys to hang out. Maybe girls are different, I don't have any. Sons biggest complaint is that I come and watch the last 30 minutes of practice and the other kids may see me sitting there watching. I shold just wait in the parking lot. I am not really allowed to speak to him until were in the truck. There is no way that I was like this when is was 14.

Go sit in the truck and wait for him. Don’t be “that” parent.

My son, a Freshman played keeper in NV at the varsity level. I was shocked at the size of the older kids too but I was more shocked at how my son handled it. He took it head on challenging corners in the air, pushing players out and on simple scoops saves taking it to the players rushing in. I felt for him it will help him grow as he returns to his club team. I also think it helped him find a field voice as the juniors and seniors demanded he speak and direct and manage his area. It was fun to watch.

...... At this time, I would appreciate his coaches send him down from the JV team, but his skill level and the propensity for GK's to get injured because of the dirty play that slides through using the 2-Man system make it a good possibility that the kid will find himself on varsity before the season is over (if he survives his stint on JV).

Why would the “dirty play” be missed in a properly run 2-man system? If you have a slow out of position Ref in a 3-man system, they will miss the same calls that they will miss in a 2-man system. Most people I talk to that are not refs and even some refs look at the 2-man system as 2 ARs with whistles when in actuality it is a CR and an AR both with whistles (3-man system minus one AR). The CR position changes depending on thethe direction of play and location on the field. Two good referees that can run and know the 2-man system can do just as good of a job as three refs. The problem is that not all refs really know how to run the 2-man system or are just not fit enough to do the amount of running needed. My GPS watch had me running 6.1 miles (boys) and 5.4 (girls) in my last two HS games. We had some problems in the first game mainly because my partner was new to the 2-man system and was not positioned correctly or running (he said he ran 3.9 miles. The girls game we ran just about the same amount and had no problems. Referees in the 2-man system are NOT supposed to stay on the sidelines. They should be pushing into the middle with the train ref (CR position) staying within 15-20 yards behind the play. When play turns the other direction that CR now becomes the AR and has to hustle out wider and deeper to catch offsides and the AR now becomes the CR and has to hustle in and close on the player with the ball.

I really hope this gave you some basic insight into how the 2-man system is supposed to work.

Why would the “dirty play” be missed in a properly run 2-man system? If you have a slow out of position Ref in a 3-man system, they will miss the same calls that they will miss in a 2-man system. Most people I talk to that are not refs and even some refs look at the 2-man system as 2 ARs with whistles when in actuality it is a CR and an AR both with whistles (3-man system minus one AR). The CR position changes depending on thethe direction of play and location on the field. Two good referees that can run and know the 2-man system can do just as good of a job as three refs. The problem is that not all refs really know how to run the 2-man system or are just not fit enough to do the amount of running needed. My GPS watch had me running 6.1 miles (boys) and 5.4 (girls) in my last two HS games. We had some problems in the first game mainly because my partner was new to the 2-man system and was not positioned correctly or running (he said he ran 3.9 miles. The girls game we ran just about the same amount and had no problems. Referees in the 2-man system are NOT supposed to stay on the sidelines. They should be pushing into the middle with the train ref (CR position) staying within 15-20 yards behind the play. When play turns the other direction that CR now becomes the AR and has to hustle out wider and deeper to catch offsides and the AR now becomes the CR and has to hustle in and close on the player with the ball.

I really hope this gave you some basic insight into how the 2-man system is supposed to work.

I prefer 2-man over solo, but 3-man over 2.

At Wednesdays game my son was playing left mid and was on a boy that was at least a foot taller than him and solid.....

Sounds like what we had. Our kid had just turned 14 in late November of that year, right before the season started. Going up against 16~17 yrs old players, if he hadn't been practicing with U17 team in an addition to his U14 team, he might have been bit intimidated. He did just fine but only played about 50% of game because the coach didn't want him getting banged up on the field. He usually started both halves and got pulled out 15 mins or so thereafter.

My daughter also made varsity as a freshman. Thanks to her hanging out with the seniors we found our now favorite burrito place.
Nice.. burritos are awesome.. being invited to parties where seniors drink and smoke pot... not awesome.. Kids grow up so fast.. She plays for SFSU now..

I have to second this has been one of the best threads I've read around here. I also follow G07 as my youngest plays as well and its so funny seeing parents talk smack about their teams (check out the Thanksgiving Surf and you will know what I mean). My son has another year until high school (younger 03) but appreciate everyone sharing their perspectives. He was getting some extra training with the 01 team this season which he loved and landed in a pretty good spot for training until his team comes back together in Feb/March. Actually looking forward to him just getting some training (which he enjoys) and not having to drive 1.5 hours for a game on the weekend until his team hooks back up again. And I would also agree, if your high school kid says not to stop by practices, honor that...this is his or her ride. I have an older who plays high school volleyball and she doesn't want me near her practices. I get it.

I think that I could stand over by the pool a behind the bleachers and still see. Maybe he won't see me there. I do remind him that it is a long walk home.

I think that I could stand over by the pool a behind the bleachers and still see. Maybe he won't see me there. I do remind him that it is a long walk home.
And he may want to sleep inside tonight...
High school soccer practice is on the way home from work for me. No way am I going to stay at work for an extra 1/2 hour (traffic gets worse as time goes by) and I am not going to sit in the parking lot. I asked him about it and he could care less if I watch.

And he may want to sleep inside tonight...
High school soccer practice is on the way home from work for me. No way am I going to stay at work for an extra 1/2 hour (traffic gets worse as time goes by) and I am not going to sit in the parking lot. I asked him about it and he could care less if I watch.

My daughter did not want me anywhere near the field and told me the girls made fun of the 5-6 players who had parents that would come and watch practice. She told me they used to tell them that they could run faster if they cut the umbilical cord. I thought that was funny.

My daughter did not want me anywhere near the field and told me the girls made fun of the 5-6 players who had parents that would come and watch practice. She told me they used to tell them that they could run faster if they cut the umbilical cord. I thought that was funny.
Reading the forums for the past several years, I get the general impression that the older girls are reall A-holes. I personally have no experience other than what I read here, and there is a lot to read. My experience with the boys is 180 degrees different what I read about the girls. Does anyone have experience with both?

Reading the forums for the past several years, I get the general impression that the older girls are reall A-holes. I personally have no experience other than what I read here, and there is a lot to read. My experience with the boys is 180 degrees different what I read about the girls. Does anyone have experience with both?[/QUOTE

Reading the forums for the past several years, I get the general impression that the older girls are reall A-holes. I personally have no experience other than what I read here, and there is a lot to read. My experience with the boys is 180 degrees different what I read about the girls. Does anyone have experience with both?
That is pretty funny. I have 11th grade daughter/8th grade son. I find my son just deals with it when I show up early where my daughter makes a pretty huge point I didn't need to be there.

Back