For parents who have been there, done that....

Carpediem

BRONZE
As a parent to ulittles who myself grew up in a very different sport, can you tell me at what age was a good representative of your classes skill level?
For example everyone keeps saying ulittle is way too young to know. They haven't hit puberty, high school, etc.
Knowing what you know now about who moved on to college ball or beyond, at what age can you go back in your mind seeing them being a top player on their team?
Are late bloomers actually a thing?

Just curious as in my sport 12-14 year old successes meant very little long term.

It all depends. What I can tell you is skill, 1st touch, IQ, and hard work paired with athleticism gets to the finish line, along with a coach that believes in the player.

There are at most a dozen to 2 dozen ulittle players per age group and you will know who they are, because they are just at a different level. These players have already been identified and if they continue on their projected trajectory. It's a far gone conclusion, they will play college soccer.

It's the #5-18 ulittle players on A teams and the #1-#11 players on the B teams where the abilities blur somewhat. IMO, these players are separated primarily by what a club coach values more and how stacked the A team is. When the girls get older and have all gone through puberty, is when you will know which of these players will be better or not. Some on the A team, get slower and don't work as hard and eventually caught by B team players who maintain their speed and work hard improving their game.

As for late bloomers, yes there is such a thing. I have seen subs on top teams move to another club team with a better coach and in a year or so....improve dramatically, become starters and recruited by college coaches.

CarpeD in addition to what NG said the player needs a good coach. Most of us have seen stud athletes who dominated at U little but the family stuck with the wrong coach for too long...maybe a charismatic Dad coach or a persuasive "salesman" club coach...As a consequence, former stud athlete forward cannot kick with left foot, stud winger dives and cannot defend well, kick and run fails fast player, forward won't chase back passes, doesn't understand set pieces etc etc...most kids can't get to high level by themselves as they get older...most kids will need the proper coach to develop into a competitive player w a high soccer IQ IMHO...

I had these same questions when my daughter started playing club at U11. It was very frustrating to wrap my head around decisions about how much of our family's time and resources should be invested in soccer without any understanding of what her potential as a player would be. She's only 14 now, so we haven't quite "been there done that" yet, but she has played up on some U17 teams and did her first year of HS soccer, and I can see that freshman/sophomore year is really the time that you can start to see the reality of where your kid's potential falls. I've kept track of all of the best players at her old club at U11. About half of them are still competing at high levels, but the other half have either quit or have been left behind physically. So yeah, I can vouch that you generally can't tell at that age. I suppose the 1% prodigies are the exception to that, but if you have a question as to whether or not your child is a prodigy, the answer is probably "no."

I had these same questions when my daughter started playing club at U11. It was very frustrating to wrap my head around decisions about how much of our family's time and resources should be invested in soccer without any understanding of what her potential as a player would be. She's only 14 now, so we haven't quite "been there done that" yet, but she has played up on some U17 teams and did her first year of HS soccer, and I can see that freshman/sophomore year is really the time that you can start to see the reality of where your kid's potential falls. I've kept track of all of the best players at her old club at U11. About half of them are still competing at high levels, but the other half have either quit or have been left behind physically. So yeah, I can vouch that you generally can't tell at that age. I suppose the 1% prodigies are the exception to that, but if you have a question as to whether or not your child is a prodigy, the answer is probably "no."

You hit the nail on the head. My ulittles are very focused and driven right now so everything seems to be about soccer. When they don't already have games or practices they want extra training , etc. They both play on top teams and seem to be liked by their coaches as well as other coaches But I wouldn't call them super stars by any means, definitely not YNT players. Just trying to figure out how to help them find balance as growing up should be about so much more. Fortunately they are athletes so do do other sports but on a very minor scale in comparison.
I was just curious what some of you parents of olders have seen on average as opposed to the special cases. Even at 10 and 11, both my girls have decided they want to play soccer in college. It is now my job to help them I guess....

This is a great thread and every bit of advice has been spot on. My player was a "B" team player her first two years of club. She switched clubs, teams and coaches and now is a starter at a top D1. Don't let your players start dictate her finish. Ask her what she wants and make a plan. There are plenty of colleges out there and any girl that wants to play can play. Support your player. Believe in her dreams. Help drive her to the finish.

This is a great thread and every bit of advice has been spot on. My player was a "B" team player her first two years of club. She switched clubs, teams and coaches and now is a starter at a top D1. Don't let your players start dictate her finish. Ask her what she wants and make a plan. There are plenty of colleges out there and any girl that wants to play can play. Support your player. Believe in her dreams. Help drive her to the finish.

I personally think this is so beautiful and couldn't find a rating that I thought was good enough. I love it MAP

CarpeD in addition to what NG said the player needs a good coach. Most of us have seen stud athletes who dominated at U little but the family stuck with the wrong coach for too long...maybe a charismatic Dad coach or a persuasive "salesman" club coach...As a consequence, former stud athlete forward cannot kick with left foot, stud winger dives and cannot defend well, kick and run fails fast player, forward won't chase back passes, doesn't understand set pieces etc etc...most kids can't get to high level by themselves as they get older...most kids will need the proper coach to develop into a competitive player w a high soccer IQ IMHO...

Great post- always amazed at people who think their kid is a great forward with no left foot

All great post, all solid advice. I would just add this...

Sometimes things don't go as planned, so have a back up plan. There are injuries, so have patience. Start the college dream early and do the homework on the schools together but enjoy the time now. It really does go by fast.

A foot skills based coach at beginning of this soccer journey (U8 to U12) will help offset any worries about being on the right or wrong side of puberty in the future. Also, you'll find out that a skills based game is more sustainable and attractive to changing landscape of women's soccer.

Or, in some cases, no right foot.

When my kids first got into club soccer, the parent of one of the best athletes on the team (who eventually left soccer for baseball) said that the overwhelming majority of goals were scored with a player's stronger foot (I don't know where he got that info, I'm just passing it along). I asked him if there was any advantage for his son being a switch hitter in baseball.

One of my fundamental rules of soccer is "play the ball with the closest foot".

My DD is a true two-footed player. Not a learned skill - she's been equally comfortable with both feet since she first started playing soccer at 5 yrs old. Is that a recruiting advantage or have most recruited players become good enough with both feet through training that there is really no distinction?

My DD is a true two-footed player. Not a learned skill - she's been equally comfortable with both feet since she first started playing soccer at 5 yrs old. Is that a recruiting advantage or have most recruited players become good enough with both feet through training that there is really no distinction?

If an otherwise excellent player can only play the ball on one side, it will go in a scout's notes. In a game, it will go into a savvy opponent's mental notes, also.

It is a recruiting advantage that I would definitely have her bring up to coaches. Most prefer a left footed player or a two footed player in certain positions. Versatility is the key.

It is a recruiting advantage that I would definitely have her bring up to coaches. Most prefer a left footed player or a two footed player in certain positions. Versatility is the key.

We were told early on that being both footed was an advantage. Thankfully she had a coach that enforced it, so she is as strong on her left as her right. Took a few years though. I would say it's worth doing the extra work as coaches really seem to like it. So many girls taking that extra unnecessary touch to use their stronger foot.

Back