First year for '05 DA discussion

Have the girls periodically assessed by US Soccer? Either the girls are progressing and potentially ready to play the style dictated by US Soccer or not. Standings and scores are judgments of teams not players.
They are already being periodically assessed by US Soccer.

Every excellent player is excellent partially (mostly?) because they are hyper competitive. Competition drives performance, improvement and focus. Scores and standings matter to the players.

I watched UCLA women’s college soccer over the weekend in Westwood. The UCLA keeper didn’t kick a single goal kick to midfield , instead every ball went to a player and they played out of the back, and played possession the whole game. The other keeper kicked it long and Oregon lost 2/3 of those kicks, with UCLA resetting it back to either a CB or the keeper, then played out wide then to a midfielder then back wide, etc. great triangles in every part in father field.

If you are on a team that is putting together 6-7 passes at a time then getting a shot off it doesn’t matter if u win or lose at ages 12-15, your kid is getting better and will be ready for any soccer team at ages 16-22. Kicking the ball long to one or two superstars might get u wins but it will only improve those one or two players.

I thought all DA teams were supposed to play a similar style.

How do scores and standings serve the purpose of developing girls for the USWMNT? From my experience, the parents care a lot more about the score/standings than the kids. Focusing on development does not have to mean everyone gets a ribbon or trophy. What it could mean is that US Soccer has adopted a style of play for the USWNT and the DA clubs will have training that serves that purpose; without regard to wins & loses. This is the curriculum, you will follow it or you won't be a part of the program. If the long term goal is to have high IQ soccer players who can possess the ball, and play at high levels, then how are we accomplishing that by focusing on short term issues (wins/losses)? I thought the DA program was about developing individual players, not teams. If that is the case, then team standings don't really matter.

Kids (even really young) are competitive they know the score. Competition with a score is also developing players. If every game is meaningless the players don't have to dig deeper to try to catch the other player. Everyone that calls themselves a golfer is great at the driving range but thats not where it matters. There has to be a reason to play for them. Some parents get overly involved but whatever it's not their game. People get overly involved watching their favorite team on tv too and they have no control over that either. So if the DA clubs follow the program it makes it easier for the US soccer people to see if a player can play in the system but i can assure you they want kids that play with their hair on fire. They want to see them play in competitive games and the only way for that to happen is to play real games with scores and standings.

I watched UCLA women’s college soccer over the weekend in Westwood. The UCLA keeper didn’t kick a single goal kick to midfield , instead every ball went to a player and they played out of the back, and played possession the whole game. The other keeper kicked it long and Oregon lost 2/3 of those kicks, with UCLA resetting it back to either a CB or the keeper, then played out wide then to a midfielder then back wide, etc. great triangles in every part in father field.

If you are on a team that is putting together 6-7 passes at a time then getting a shot off it doesn’t matter if u win or lose at ages 12-15, your kid is getting better and will be ready for any soccer team at ages 16-22. Kicking the ball long to one or two superstars might get u wins but it will only improve those one or two players.

I thought all DA teams were supposed to play a similar style.

Agree with the first two paragraphs of your post. As to playing a similar style, it's down to the coach/players/club just as it always was.

Kids (even really young) are competitive they know the score. Competition with a score is also developing players. If every game is meaningless the players don't have to dig deeper to try to catch the other player. Everyone that calls themselves a golfer is great at the driving range but thats not where it matters. There has to be a reason to play for them. Some parents get overly involved but whatever it's not their game. People get overly involved watching their favorite team on tv too and they have no control over that either. So if the DA clubs follow the program it makes it easier for the US soccer people to see if a player can play in the system but i can assure you they want kids that play with their hair on fire. They want to see them play in competitive games and the only way for that to happen is to play real games with scores and standings.
You can still compete and try to win. But every style should be possession while they are still learning. Give every kid the skills needed to succeed, have them apply it in games. Pretty basic. Crank it up once they get to U17.

You can still compete and try to win. But every style should be possession while they are still learning. Give every kid the skills needed to succeed, have them apply it in games. Pretty basic. Crank it up once they get to U17.
no scoreboard then no competition IMO. They already get skills and get taught possession at '05. They have Nat. teams at 17 if they are waiting for them to flip a switch at that age they are really far behind. If anyone is afraid to compete they should do art classes. But I'll just agree to disagree with your take on it. Peace

no scoreboard then no competition IMO. They already get skills and get taught possession at '05. They have Nat. teams at 17 if they are waiting for them to flip a switch at that age they are really far behind. If anyone is afraid to compete they should do art classes. But I'll just agree to disagree with your take on it. Peace
This has nothing to do with competing. They ALL don't have the skills at 05. Coaches take shortcuts to win games. That should never happen. You have these coaches that care more about wins then teaching and the skill set isn't being taught. Many of the DA coaches might be teaching the skills, but not all. This is a conversation about which teams are teaching the proper skills and which ones aren't. At DA they all should be. Teach it during practice, then use it in the games, even if it costs you a win. That is what I'm saying. If you believe that USA girls at ages 14-16 have all the touch and skills they need, then you are right, we see things differently.

I want to see more of this
https://ytcropper.com/cropped/bH5bd243cbe2905

Then kicking it long

All games in DA are recorded right?
Would be cool if US Soccer highlighted a team / game once in a while that “plays the right way” regardless of the result.

I know a u17 DA player that recently moved from a club that wins a lot to a club that struggles to get results. The dad says “we don’t care. It is so refreshing to watch them play real soccer”

This has nothing to do with competing. They ALL don't have the skills at 05. Coaches take shortcuts to win games. That should never happen. You have these coaches that care more about wins then teaching and the skill set isn't being taught. Many of the DA coaches might be teaching the skills, but not all. This is a conversation about which teams are teaching the proper skills and which ones aren't. At DA they all should be. Teach it during practice, then use it in the games, even if it costs you a win. That is what I'm saying. If you believe that USA girls at ages 14-16 have all the touch and skills they need, then you are right, we see things differently.

Then kicking it long
Yes seeing more of that is great I agree there but I want to see that under pressure. If you watch the same group of kids play like that see if it change while under pressure. That is the test, can they do it successfully under pressure. All the great hitters in baseball are able to hit HRs but how many do they hit it high tension moments. Fire and stone shapes iron

Then kicking it long
Nice clip. I was laughing at the people in the stands. They were yelling, "Get it!" or "Put pressure". Tough to do when you cant touch or get to the ball. :D

I’m always confused why parents care how other teams play. Find the right club for your DD (style of play, location, free, great coach, whatever) then enjoy. There is no single correct way to play this game. Both Brazil and Greece have won major tournaments in the last 2 decades (assuming we are using winning as our gauge) and to say their play is contrasting is an understatement. And neither could win playing the others style. Leicester won the EPL playing a brand of kickball, Sweden beat the US Women playing bunker. Where I’m going with this is why not embrace all the contrasting styles your DD will face? I love the fact my DD faces different challenges each and every week as I think this will better prepare her for college (a legitimate goal I think for most playing academy). Teams at that level (and beyond) play everything: kick-ball, possession, counter attack, bunker etc. Why not be exposed to that, learn how to play effectively against it, instead of everyone playing this homogeneous style at the youth level?

Separate from team play (but not mutually exclusive to it) are individual skills and conditioning. Both an absolute must, in my opinion, for any academy player regardless of what style your team plays. A route one forward collecting a long mid-air pass and not breaking stride to goal is as much a sign of development as a center mid doing pull-backs and step-overs in trying to create their advantage. A defender smoothly getting in the way of a forward making a run is as important as that same defender dribbling out of pressure.

Winning, learning how to win and building a desire to win are definitely part of the process. I just don’t think a Win/Loss record or style of a teams play are always indicative of an individual’s development. Just my $.02

Yes seeing more of that is great I agree there but I want to see that under pressure. If you watch the same group of kids play like that see if it change while under pressure. That is the test, can they do it successfully under pressure. All the great hitters in baseball are able to hit HRs but how many do they hit it high tension moments. Fire and stone shapes iron

I mean to show both team under pressure and not under pressure

Back