Feedback on refs from league games

I think you attributed my comment (the comment you took issue with) with those of "CoachRefParent." I'm here to "discuss" these points/issues in a civilized manner. You won't see me insult or name call ... or degrade. I ignore the use of a wrong term here or there because I understand that often the users replying may be doing this in their free time or after a drink or two or three at home on the sofa (at least I do).

My point, which you disagree with is that the AR is somewhat powerless to fix a bad referee during the game. Other than some advice during the half, which the Ref is free to ignore, an AR is limited to giving advice through the use of signals. So, in all seriousness, what can an AR do during the game to fix or otherwise stop a bad referee from being a bad referee within the Laws or accepted procedures?
Why wait for half time? Why not in real time?

I think you attributed my comment (the comment you took issue with) with those of "CoachRefParent." I'm here to "discuss" these points/issues in a civilized manner. You won't see me insult or name call ... or degrade. I ignore the use of a wrong term here or there because I understand that often the users replying may be doing this in their free time or after a drink or two or three at home on the sofa (at least I do).
Sadly, after a few reasonably civilized posts where JustaParent directly "tackles" the issue and presents facts and opinion, we're back to the unproductive responding to questions with questions. Too bad.

The point you missed was that only certain referees refer to referees as "Center", not that the correct terminology is used. But I have a sneaky feeling you knew this but you were being dishonest.
No. You are making my point for me. To say "only certain referees refer to referees as 'Center'", and then dismiss them as new refs, or ignorant refs is the trip up. Many of us grew up with the terms "sideline," "penalty box," "hand ball," "offsides," and "trap," and . . . "Center ref." Using these terms does not place us in a category of know-nothing referee/coach/parent/player.

I still occasionally say Price Club instead of Costco, but I still know where the toilet paper, huge bags of tortilla chips and rotisserie chickens are.

No. You are making my point for me. To say "only certain referees refer to referees as 'Center'", and then dismiss them as new refs, or ignorant refs is the trip up. Many of us grew up with the terms "sideline," "penalty box," "hand ball," "offsides," and "trap," and . . . "Center ref." Using these terms does not place us in a category of know-nothing referee/coach/parent/player.

I still occasionally say Price Club instead of Costco, but I still know where the toilet paper, huge bags of tortilla chips and rotisserie chickens are.

When someone says "center" or "offsides" or "handball", I know what he means and respond appropriately. JaP likes to pretend he is superior by scoffing at word usage like that.

BTW, the word "handball" appears in the newest version of LOTG, and it means exactly what we intended all along.

Sadly, after a few reasonably civilized posts where JustaParent directly "tackles" the issue and presents facts and opinion, we're back to the unproductive responding to questions with questions. Too bad.

Really. This was a good thread about how much an "other match official" can impact or help a deficient CR. It would be nice if once these threads go awry, someone would cull out the trolling posts put them in a "Troll Battle" group or something like that.

No. You are making my point for me. To say "only certain referees refer to referees as 'Center'", and then dismiss them as new refs, or ignorant refs is the trip up. Many of us grew up with the terms "sideline," "penalty box," "hand ball," "offsides," and "trap," and . . . "Center ref." Using these terms does not place us in a category of know-nothing referee/coach/parent/player...

JaP is best ignored when it gets to this point. He/she revels in taking people down to his/her level. If you take the bait, he/she wins.

Your childish conclusions aside, I didn't dismiss anyone. All I said was your referring to the referee as "Center" tells me something. It does. I made no reference to your other pet peeves and needless to say, I do not give a damn about them.

When someone says "center" or "offsides" or "handball", I know what he means and respond appropriately. JaP likes to pretend he is superior by scoffing at word usage like that.

BTW, the word "handball" appears in the newest version of LOTG, and it means exactly what we intended all along.
It appears your comprehension is not getting better with age. This had nothing to do with phraseology.

This was such a good read at first. Then the blah blah blah started.

As a parent with two kids playing at pretty high levels, I see the range of officials over the 3-6 game weekends. The best ones are the ones without egos who are actually into doing their job well. They always communicate well to the players, coaches and parents and do it without the power trip.

The officiating this season is much, much better than last season. Last season felt like we were being handed people more worried about yelling at the parents then actually calling fair games and keeping our kids safe.

I have had great conversations with refs at Surf Cup, Blues Cup and league games where really consequential calls were made that seemed like blown calls and was given great explanations of the officiating point of view. It really helps to get that information and not being told to just watch the game and be quiet.

Thanks for all the great officiating and information.

........ So, in all seriousness, what can an AR do during the game to fix or otherwise stop a bad referee from being a bad referee within the Laws or accepted procedures?

If they are really screwing up and misapplying the LOTG, replace them. A couple years ago I was working with a Referee on a U19B game and he was clearly screwing everything up. As the AR, I got the attention of the Field Marshal and had the tournament referee coordinator come to the field and watch the Referee. The Referee was pulled off the game at halftime and I took his spot and we had a new AR take my spot. We told the coaches that the Referee was injured. Evidently, the original Referee had recently moved from the east coast and told the assignor that he had experience with all ages of youth players. Turned out he had only worked U10 and below rec games.

I have worked with some really bad Referees (Center) and there is almost always a way for the AR to assist during the game without taking over the game. The halftime talk is used to help get the Referee back on track and tends to work most of the time. It just depends on if the Referee takes the advice, feedback and signals or is a narcissistic a-hole and ignores the AR's. Most of the narcissistic a-hole referees that I have work with tend to be older Emeritus referees. They are so set in their ways that they think their shit-don't-stink and they are never wrong. I truly think it is an ego thing with them and they cannot come to terms that they have gotten old, cannot see as well, and have trouble running and keeping up with play. Some of the problems fall back on the assignors that continue to assign these old slow referee to high school age and adult games based off of what they used to be able to do. These Emeritus referees usually know their stuff but just cannot keep up with play which puts them way out of position so they miss or make bad calls. These Emeritus referees would be welcomed on U12 and below games that they can keep up with the speed of play and help mentor young referees. I saw a State Emeritus (SE) ref running an AR on a BU19 game a few weeks ago and he could not keep up with the second to last defender. The SE ref should realize he cannot keep up with play and stop working HS age club or college games. The assignor should also have the balls to tell the SE ref that he cannot cut it anymore. They don't because they do not want to hurt the ref's feeling' or due to the "Good Old Boy Network."

I have had great conversations with refs at Surf Cup, Blues Cup and league games where really consequential calls were made that seemed like blown calls and was given great explanations of the officiating point of view. It really helps to get that information and not being told to just watch the game and be quiet.

Thanks for all the great officiating and information.

Good Post

As an AR conversing with parents on the sidelines can be like walking through a minefield. Some parents actually do not know the LOTG interpretation and appreciate an explanation from the AR. Others have a knowledge of the LOTG and when told why a foul was or was not called understand and appreciate the explanation. Then there are the landmine parents who will argue with the AR/referee no matter what they say and how correct the call was. This is the reason that I am very hesitant to engage in a conversation with the parents on the sideline. With all of the rule/interpretation changes for the 2016-2017 LOTG, I have talked to parents as an AR more than normal. 99% of the parents appreciate the update on the LOTG and the explanation as to why a call or restart was done in a different way. But, there is still that 1% of parents that think they know more about the LOTG than me. That 1% screw it up for everyone.

Although sometimes there is a lot going on with the game that it is impossible to answer a question from a parent. Then I just ignore them. I think it would be rude to say, "Just watch the game." To throw in the "and be quiet" would be rude and unprofessional.

If they are really screwing up and misapplying the LOTG, replace them. A couple years ago I was working with a Referee on a U19B game and he was clearly screwing everything up. As the AR, I got the attention of the Field Marshal and had the tournament referee coordinator come to the field and watch the Referee. The Referee was pulled off the game at halftime and I took his spot and we had a new AR take my spot. We told the coaches that the Referee was injured. Evidently, the original Referee had recently moved from the east coast and told the assignor that he had experience with all ages of youth players. Turned out he had only worked U10 and below rec games.

I have worked with some really bad Referees (Center) and there is almost always a way for the AR to assist during the game without taking over the game. The halftime talk is used to help get the Referee back on track and tends to work most of the time. It just depends on if the Referee takes the advice, feedback and signals or is a narcissistic a-hole and ignores the AR's. Most of the narcissistic a-hole referees that I have work with tend to be older Emeritus referees. They are so set in their ways that they think their shit-don't-stink and they are never wrong. I truly think it is an ego thing with them and they cannot come to terms that they have gotten old, cannot see as well, and have trouble running and keeping up with play. Some of the problems fall back on the assignors that continue to assign these old slow referee to high school age and adult games based off of what they used to be able to do. These Emeritus referees usually know their stuff but just cannot keep up with play which puts them way out of position so they miss or make bad calls. These Emeritus referees would be welcomed on U12 and below games that they can keep up with the speed of play and help mentor young referees. I saw a State Emeritus (SE) ref running an AR on a BU19 game a few weeks ago and he could not keep up with the second to last defender. The SE ref should realize he cannot keep up with play and stop working HS age club or college games. The assignor should also have the balls to tell the SE ref that he cannot cut it anymore. They don't because they do not want to hurt the ref's feeling' or due to the "Good Old Boy Network."

I formally liked this post, but I must point out that replacing the referee for cause at half time and then telling the coaches that he is injured might be seen by some as an example of good-old-boy-network protection.

I formally liked this post, but I must point out that replacing the referee for cause at half time and then telling the coaches that he is injured might be seen by some as an example of good-old-boy-network protection.

He did have a lower leg cramp that was visibly impairing his running during the first half. So technically we were being truthful. The coaches really did not care why he was replaced. They were just happy that he was gone for the second half.

He did have a lower leg cramp that was visibly impairing his running during the first half. So technically we were being truthful. The coaches really did not care why he was replaced. They were just happy that he was gone for the second half.
it really hurt!

Back