Essential Economics for Politicians

Read Chapter 16, page 225, in the attached .pdf. Although the entire book really is a good read for understanding the boom and bust cycles that we see in the U.S. and around the world.
I read the part you recommended.

"In a pure market economy, there are strong checks against fractional reserve banking, which prevent any one bank from issuing an excessive number of unbacked notes." Pa 240. Tell me how its validity is verified by the financial crisis of 2008.

Didn't Glass Steagall Act precisely function as checks against fractional reserve banking? Didn't its repeal lead to market derivatives such as credit default swaps lead to the 2008 financial crisis? Weren't they the products of unregulated free market that led to the financial crisis? Is it not true that repeal of the Glass Steagall contribute to the financial crisis?

Another question for you BIZ.

Is the value of fiat money affected by more than supply and demand? Does the velocity of circulation affect the value of money? If so, a vigorous market by itself would create inflation, doesn't it? If so, does it really matter if it's fiat money or commodity money? Whether it's fiat money or commodity money, what are free market checks against inflation? And how do they work?

"In a pure market economy, there are strong checks against fractional reserve banking, which prevent any one bank from issuing an excessive number of unbacked notes." Pa 240. Tell me how its validity is verified by the financial crisis of 2008.

Didn't Glass Steagall Act precisely function as checks against fractional reserve banking? Didn't its repeal lead to market derivatives such as credit default swaps lead to the 2008 financial crisis? Weren't they the products of unregulated free market that led to the financial crisis? Is it not true that repeal of the Glass Steagall contribute to the financial crisis?
No. It did not. What would be a "strong check" against fractional reserve banking?

No. It did not. What would be a "strong check" against fractional reserve banking?
LOL You asked me that question? The quote comes from the passage you recommended, and implicitly endorsed - never figured out the difference between "endorse" and "support" and "vote for" in this election cycle. I thought Glass Steagall was a strong check if fractional reserve banking is a concern to you. Or Lara and Murphy.

I'm not well versed in the monetary market or regulation. Fractional reserve banking is a reality of modern economics as I understand it, or any monetary system (that should answer your question partially what is the modern economic reality), but apparently it's what leads to all the woes of the financial market according to Lara and Murphy. You recommend it for understanding of the boom and bust cycles. According to Lara and Murphy, switching to commodity money would avoid fractional reserve banking. Or does it? Doesn't the velocity of circulation lead to inflation, or functional fractional reserve banking anyways in a completely free market? Hence my question, what strong checks are they talking about?

My elementary understanding of the monetary market, with logic and common sense, leads me to conclude that fractional reserve banking is nothing more than a byproduct of any monetary system. Focus on that is a bit superficial, isn't it?

In a pure market economy, each Federal Reserve Note or Dollar is backed up by a real asset like Gold. Nixon closed the Gold window at the Fed in 1971. 2008 was not about validating a pure market economy. On the contrary, it was about the Fed expanding access to an increased money supply in the early 20's to set the U.S. Stock Market up for the Great Depression in the early 30's. American hubris bought stocks on margin in the early 20's and, homes with little to no money down in the early to mid 2000's. Both markets crashed. Both crashes caused by the Fed. Hence the title of Chapter 16, Government Distortions.

Why would it? That was not the purpose of GS.
I said "function," not "intended." As often the case, Congressional acts function quite differently than their intended purposes. Sherman Act is another example.

But let's not get into politics. That's the lower-end shit best left for Bernie Sanders to chew on. And bleeding heart libs like Wez, Dukes, espn, and that illegal alien whose name I have trouble pronouncing much less remembering. And the gun-wielding intellectual Moe. And that random guy who named himself after an animal part. Hyena's Butt, I think.

Is it not true that repeal of the Glass Steagall contribute to the financial crisis?

Russ Roberts: I want to start with a very interesting point you make about the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Now, a lot of people blame the crisis on the repeal of Glass-Steagall and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, accomplished that in 1999. It was a Democratic president who signed that but I think it was a Republican Congress that pushed it; but it was a bipartisan bill. It got a lot of support from both sides of the aisle. And you make the argument that its direct effect in causing the crisis was very small. So I want you to explain that. And then the more interesting point--but you still point out the political implications of that were not small. That's fascinating. So, talk about those two things. First, why it had little direct impact but its political impact was not trivial.

Luigi Zingales:
So, just to make sure that everybody is on board, I think that what Glass-Steagall used to do is to separate commercial banks from investment banks. And during the crisis, the banks that were most exposed and suffered the most and some of them failed to be bailed out were pure investment banks that would have existed even before the repeal of Glass-Steagall and would have got in trouble even before the repeal of Glass-Steagall. And in fact, one of the solutions or partial solutions to this crisis was to have some rescues, so you had J.P. Morgan buying Bear Stearns, and you had Bank of America buying Merrill Lynch, and this was made possible by the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Because during Glass-Steagall JPMorgan could not have bought Bear Stearns and Bank of America could not have bought Merrill Lynch. The only sort of bad example in this picture was Citigroup. Citigroup was both an investment bank and a commercial bank, and it was highly exposed and was really saved by the government because otherwise it would have gone bust. And by the way, during the crisis, the way you got some confidence back for banks like Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs was for them to file as commercial banks. So, I think there is no question; in my view, the separation of investment banking and commercial banking was not the [?] factor in causing the crisis or precipitating the crisis.

Russ:
Did you mean to say that without Glass-Steagall, that if Glass-Steagall were still in place, that JPMorgan could not have purchased Bear Stearns? Guest: Yeah. It could not. Because it was an investment bank.

Russ:
Aren't they both investment banks?

Guest:
JPMorgan is a commercial bank. JPMorgan Chase is actually both, a huge commercial franchise.

Russ:
Okay. I get the point, then. The argument for Glass-Steagall of course is that commercial banks are FDIC insured, and the story is that if you merged them the money would somehow get mixed together and that made the investment banks that had commercial arms or vice versa too big to fail. But the truth is, the investment banks were viewed as implicitly insured anyway. So, it's in a way it does seem to be not a very important piece of legislation, the repeal of it.

Guest:
In addition, the investment banks were heavily exposed to commercial banks through sort of a lot of loans. If an investment bank had failed, probably would have brought down the commercial banks that guaranteed the credit. So, the separation itself I don't think is the most effective way to limit risk.

Another question for you BIZ.
Another 6 questions.

Is the value of fiat money affected by more than supply and demand?
If it's fiat money why would it be affected by other then?

Does the velocity of circulation affect the value of money?
No, the supply of money determines velocity or the lack thereof.

If so, a vigorous market by itself would create inflation, doesn't it?
What is the cause of the vigorous market? Typically it is an increase/inflation (Sub prime loans) in the money supply/credit

If so, does it really matter if it's fiat money or commodity money?
Fiat money relies on inflation of supply without backing. Commodity money is backed by real assets.

Whether it's fiat money or commodity money, what are free market checks against inflation?
Really dude? Commodity money is the free market check.

And how do they work?
Fiat money doesn't work for anything but booms and bust.

LOL You asked me that question? The quote comes from the passage you recommended, and implicitly endorsed - never figured out the difference between "endorse" and "support" and "vote for" in this election cycle. I thought Glass Steagall was a strong check if fractional reserve banking is a concern to you. Or Lara and Murphy.

I'm not well versed in the monetary market or regulation. Fractional reserve banking is a reality of modern economics as I understand it, or any monetary system (that should answer your question partially what is the modern economic reality), but apparently it's what leads to all the woes of the financial market according to Lara and Murphy. You recommend it for understanding of the boom and bust cycles. According to Lara and Murphy, switching to commodity money would avoid fractional reserve banking. Or does it? Doesn't the velocity of circulation lead to inflation, or functional fractional reserve banking anyways in a completely free market? Hence my question, what strong checks are they talking about?

My elementary understanding of the monetary market, with logic and common sense, leads me to conclude that fractional reserve banking is nothing more than a byproduct of any monetary system. Focus on that is a bit superficial, isn't it?
Just read the rest of the book. It is not as complicated as you think.

Just read the rest of the book. It is not as complicated as you think.
I have actually read a good portion of that. Wasn't going to tell you that because on a forum, it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion if we keep expanding the topic. It may not be your intention, but giving links tends to exactly that.

The linked articles, and by extension your point, is basically that the fiat money gives the government the ability to manipulate the supply of money, and therefore the relative prices of things. Manipulating money supply is effectively fractional reserve banking. Fundamentally this is the cause of boom and bust cycles. Commodity money, on the other hand, has intrinsic value, thus by definition, prevents fractional reserve banking. Magically it can avoid financial crises. Is this your point in a nutshell?

I have actually read a good portion of that. Wasn't going to tell you that because on a forum, it's impossible to have an intelligent discussion if we keep expanding the topic. It may not be your intention, but giving links tends to exactly that.
Cool. Expanding the topic within the intent of the thread, which is economics, is okay. My intent is not to go beyond economics although the bible does contain many references to economics.

The linked articles, and by extension your point, is basically that the fiat money gives the government the ability to manipulate the supply of money, and therefore the relative prices of things. Manipulating money supply is effectively fractional reserve banking. Fundamentally this is the cause of boom and bust cycles. Commodity money, on the other hand, has intrinsic value, thus by definition, prevents fractional reserve banking. Magically it can avoid financial crises. Is this your point in a nutshell?

If a big economic collapse occurs, what would you do with a closet full of gold coins or bullion? You can't eat it, you can't wear it, you can't burn it for heat or to move a car or generate electricity... Anyone who would accept it in trade for useful items would be relying entirely on its symbolic value.

I said "function," not "intended." As often the case, Congressional acts function quite differently than their intended purposes.
Agree. "The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.--F.A. Hayek

Fiat money gives the Fed the ability to manipulate the supply of money through either the purchase or sale of Treasury bonds. The Fed purchasing bonds from our Treasury increases the money supply and the opposite is true with the sale of Treasury bonds. Fractional Reserve banking is what happens within the actual commercial banks that you and I use. Chapter 16 contained some simplified balance sheets that may help. Fundamentally, boom and bust is caused by an increase in the money supply. An example of commodity money is what you see in post #7 (silver certificate commodity) as opposed to post #6 (fiat) on page 1 of this thread. Commodity money does not magically prevent fractional reserve banking or financial crisis. Commodity money is the check on fractional reserve banking that mitigates or reduces the effects of a financial crisis. How would you know if fractional reserve banking was happening with Silver Certificates that all look the same? And how would you respond to that knowledge?

Back