Essential Economics for Politicians

You basically share Peter Schiff's view.
Yes. So does Wez. He just doesnʻt know it. He started a thread about it starting to feel like 2008 again. Wez is right for all the reasons Shiff mentions.

I think we understand "antiquated" differently. "Antiquated" to me means outdated. It doesn't reflect the reality of modern economic reality. It has a negative connotation. You seem to understand it to mean something totally different.
Macroeconomics is timeless when discussing the underlying principles that guide markets. Specifically, monetary policy, supply and demand, and inflation. Please be more specific about what you consider "modern economic reality"

Schiff is too bearish, most of the time. He is too pessimistic, so he misses a lot of growth opportunities. Over the long term, he has been a very poor money manager. I don't fault bearishness, there are plenty of reasons to be, but you can't let it control you.

Schiff is too bearish, most of the time. He is too pessimistic, so he misses a lot of growth opportunities. Over the long term, he has been a very poor money manager. I don't fault bearishness, there are plenty of reasons to be, but you can't let it control you.
Go back to bed. Wezdumb, you add nothing to this or any other thread other than showing your complete lack of understanding.

So if it is starting to feel like 2008, what would you advise?

Go back to bed. Wezdumb, you add nothing to this or any other thread other than showing your complete lack of understanding.

Cranky before your coffee in the morning, just go back to beating your wife or shooting at illegals from your pickup truck.

Running with the bull.........shitters

That passed. When DB looked like it was on the ropes a few weeks ago, it reminded me of 2008 when the banking sector was leading the way down.
What changed with DB? Are they not on the ropes anymore? Have the Hedge funds returned?

What changed with DB? Are they not on the ropes anymore? Have the Hedge funds returned?

It's been recovering and there doesn't seem to be much fuss anymore. For a bit, DB was dragging the whole EU banking sector down, but the trend didn't hold.... for now.

Cranky before your coffee in the morning, just go back to beating your wife or shooting at illegals from your pickup truck.
I think you have those backwards, Wezdumb.
If you knew my wife you would understand.
I thought no one was illegal.
Maybe you are starting to get it. Wezdumb.
Also, I hit what I am at. Dummy.

Not arguing, but I'm guessing you think all banks are in big trouble...
Letʻs finish up DB first. They, no doubt, were one of the TBTF banks and the only one targeted in The Big Short. They have been paying huge legal fees to the U.S. for their involvement in the Motgage backed securities (jenga) scandal. In 2010 they attempted to avoid the Dodd-Frank, 20 billion dollar reserve requirement by removing their American Subsidiaries from their holding company. The Feds put the brakes on that attempt by DB to gain a competitive advantage on other American banks. To be sure, DB is still in big trouble. But not as big trouble as its depositers.

When I said "not arguing", in response to your statement, "DB is still in trouble donʻt be fooled.", what did you think that meant?

I've read plenty of bearish reports on DB and have been following them and other banks, so I'm not sure if you are speaking to others or me???

When I said "not arguing", in response to your statement, "DB is still in trouble donʻt be fooled.", what did you think that meant?

I've read plenty of bearish reports on DB and have been following them and other banks, so I'm not sure if you are speaking to others or me???
Both.

Another example of government agencies providing a false sense of Security

What the Theranos Debacle Reveals about Government Regulation

https://fee.org/articles/what-the-t...gulation/?utm_medium=trending_homepage_widget

“Given the pivotal role of labs in medicine, consumers need to trust the quality and accuracy of the tests they get,” Holmes wrote in a WSJ op-ed. “The FDA sets the gold standard for quality assurance. Its review is data-driven, objective and uniquely rigorous. I know this firsthand because Theranos, the company I founded, voluntarily committed to submit all of its lab tests for review starting in 2013. On July 2, the FDA cleared the first of those tests, for herpes simplex virus 1, and the associated finger-stick blood-test technology and underlying system on which our tests are run.”

How odd that the “uniquely rigorous” FDA reviewed Theranos’s finger-stick blood-test technology and underlying testing system, yet didn’t catch that they don’t work. The company told federal health regulators in April that all test results from its proprietary Edison devices from 2014 and 2015 were void.

Steve Hammons isn’t the only person Elizabeth Holmes put in harm’s way. And despite the fact that the FDA scrutinized her company’s systems in-depth, from collection devices and software to analytics and methodology, some people are still going to look at this debacle and call for more government oversight.

This is not just the wrong approach, but a dangerous one.

The hallmark of a truly free market is that all associations and relationships are based on voluntary agreement and mutual consent. Another way of saying this is that, in the free market society, people are morally and legally viewed as sovereign individuals possessing rights to their life, liberty, and honestly acquired property, who may not be coerced into any transaction that they do not consider to be to their personal betterment and advantage.

The rules of the free market are really very simple: you don’t kill, you don’t steal, and you don’t cheat through fraud or misrepresentation. You can only improve your own position by improving the circumstances of others. Your talents, abilities, and efforts must all be focused on one thing: what will others take in trade from you for the revenues you want to earn as the source of your own income and profits?

Consent, Not Coercion, Is a Hallmark of the Market

https://fee.org/articles/free-markets-refine-good-manners/

Back