Espola's newest neighborhood

My April trip -

Friday, April 6 - Titan Missile Museum, near Tucson, AZ
Saturday, April 7 - Trinity Nuclear Test Site, Alamagordo, NM
Sunday, April 8 - Los Alamos National Historic Site, NM
Monday, April 9 - Painted Desert/Petrified Forest National Park, AZ
Tuesday, April 10 - Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge (NV-AZ) and National Atomic Testing Museum, Las Vegas, NV

My May trip -

Thursday, May 17 - North Rim of Grand Canyon National Park, AZ (opened for the season May 15) and Pipe Spring National Monument, AZ
Friday, May 18 - Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon National Park, UT
Saturday, May 19 - Arches National Park and Moab History Museum, UT
Monday, May 21 - Yosemite National Park, CA (coming over Tioga Pass the first day the road was open this year).
Thursday, May 24 - Hearst Castle State Monument, CA, and Piedras Blancas Elephant Seal Sanctuary, CA

Details to follow.

I voted (in alphabetical order) -- Democrat, Green, No, Peace and Freedom, Republican, Yes (plus a few that are non-partisan, and a few no votes).

Years ago I was on jury duty, the old fashioned kind where you had to come in every day for a week. One of Anthony Bourdain's books was in the jurors' bookshelf. One thing I still remember from the book was the advice not to order fish in a restaurant on Monday.

From one his TV shows I learned from something he said more or less as an aside about how to reduce the chances of cutting your fingers while slicing or chopping with a knife - roll your fingertips under and guide the knife blade with your knuckles.

Years ago I was on jury duty, the old fashioned kind where you had to come in every day for a week. One of Anthony Bourdain's books was in the jurors' bookshelf. One thing I still remember from the book was the advice not to order fish in a restaurant on Monday.

From one his TV shows I learned from something he said more or less as an aside about how to reduce the chances of cutting your fingers while slicing or chopping with a knife - roll your fingertips under and guide the knife blade with your knuckles.
I'm gonna miss his show, no one did it like him . . . a bit over the top at times (as if anyone else would EVER be able too get a similar experience with network backing aka $$$$$$$$), but usually fun to watch.

I'm gonna miss his show, no one did it like him . . . a bit over the top at times (as if anyone else would EVER be able too get a similar experience with network backing aka $$$$$$$$), but usually fun to watch.
The guy was very good at what he did, and his shows were always interesting and entertaining. I grew up in a small family restaurant (Bistro) that he would have loved.
We shared many of the same tastes in food and culture, although he was more of an espola conservative (politically).
RIP Chef Bourdain.

Because of tunnel repairs on the Union Pacific line up in Oregon, Amtrak's Coast Starlight has been running with a break between Sacramento and northern Oregon bridged by buses. Yesterday's northbound from LA to Sacramento consisted of only 2 coach cars, one business class, and one lounge/cafe car (plus engine and baggage car). No dining car, no sleepers.

Because of tunnel repairs on the Union Pacific line up in Oregon, Amtrak's Coast Starlight has been running with a break between Sacramento and northern Oregon bridged by buses. Yesterday's northbound from LA to Sacramento consisted of only 2 coach cars, one business class, and one lounge/cafe car (plus engine and baggage car). No dining car, no sleepers.

...and today Amtrak announced they are just dropping the bus idea, so there will be a northern section between Seattle and Eugene and a southern section between Sacramento and LA.

...and today Amtrak announced they are just dropping the bus idea, so there will be a northern section between Seattle and Eugene and a southern section between Sacramento and LA.
I have a guy I golf with that works for Amtrak that I complain all the time to about how lame the west coast system is. I have looked at taking the train up the coast with my golf clubs and those routes don't have baggage service. His advice was buy a seat for my clubs? Lame. That and getting to SF is a complete boondoggle . . . good thing I fly for free, but I wish the amtrak routing and service options were better.

I have a guy I golf with that works for Amtrak that I complain all the time to about how lame the west coast system is. I have looked at taking the train up the coast with my golf clubs and those routes don't have baggage service. His advice was buy a seat for my clubs? Lame. That and getting to SF is a complete boondoggle . . . good thing I fly for free, but I wish the amtrak routing and service options were better.

San Francisco is served from LA by Coast Starlight (usually upgraded service (reserved seats, Diner Car, view/lounge car with snack service, baggage service) compared to commuter service), with the last segment a bus from Oakland over the bridge to downtown SF. The guy in the seat next to me was going to SF; he planned to call an Uber for the last leg. BART is also possible with more options on destinations, but a hassle with anything more than carryons.

https://www.up.com/customers/announcements/customernews/generalannouncements/CN2018-17.html

img_up_tunnel.gif

Amtrak says Monday's Coast Starlight southern leg (Sacramento to LA) is "Sold Out" (but I already have my ticket).

Results of Father's Day sparkling wine test --

$10 Korbel Brut
$40 Moet & Chandon Brut
$90 Ruinart Blanc de Blancs

All from BevMo in Sacramento

All wines were poured into distinctive glasses by a friend out of sight out of the judges (myself and my 3 kids). I couldn't tell much difference, but the others insisted that I make a judgment. After all four judges submitted their answers by arranging their glasses front to back, the judge told us that all 4 chose the $10 wine as best, and split 2-2 for the other positions. The judge then joined us in killing off the $90 bottle.

Father's Day treats -
3 WC games
3 hours at Crocker Museum (unplanned accident, third Sunday of the month is pay-what-you-want day (or as the guy at the entrance called it, "Free Sunday" (we put $10 in the donation box)))
Dinner at a perfect Mexican restaurant, Taqueria Maya. Looks like a recycled Der Weinershcnitzel building. Food is authentic (down to bottles of Mexican hot sauce on the table that I have never seen before) and good.

upload_2018-6-17_19-24-15.jpeg

Nap followed by family board games.

Back