Double Yellow

Discussion in 'SoCalScene' started by jimbohonky, Sep 30, 2018.

1. SPChamp1

SPChamp1 Bronze

Ratings:
    +19 / 1
    But do they? I’m sure they do once they initially join an association, but having worked with a few associations closely and meeting/speaking with Assignors and Assessors it seems like Associations are hurting for Referees themselves so they aren’t afforded the luxury of being selective.

2. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,069 / 21
    Agree with you now that the full picture is known. Foul with Yellow card or no card depending on the temperature of the game and if the card was needed. Sounds like you have a ref that has not been to training in couple years and has not opened the LOTG in just as long.

3. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,069 / 21
    If you go to the monthly referee meetings, you were instructed on the guidance from Cal South concerning comments from the bench and sidelines. The guidance was not to engage spectators or tolerate them yelling at the referee crew. Similar guidance was given concerning the coaches, but to be more tolerant and only engage them when necessary. There have been numerous incidents of Referee physical abuse over the past couple years and most of those involved a coach asking a question then escalating the situation when the referee gave an answer the coach and spectators did not like and things escalated. My daughter recently went through the D license course or whatever they call it now. She said during the training the instructor recommended not engaging in questions to the referee because the referee does not have to respond.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toch

Toch Bronze

Ratings:
    +72 / 8
    Nosey fella aren’t ya... lol and quite possibly just as gullible.

5. Frank

Frank Bronze

Ratings:
    +214 / 10
    My associations do and they take it seriously and make every effort for more experienced refs to give feedback almost every weekend.

There are all levels of refs. Some have to go farther to be “good”. Most take it serious enough to work to improve.

6. timbuck

timbuck

Ratings:
    +2,652 / 26
    How many referees attend the monthly meetings?
    Sounds like a lot of work for a weekend job.
    For those of you that complain about referees, how many of you would spend most of your weekend reffing youth soccer games and also attend these meetings.
    Think about that next time you feel the need to show a referee a video you took from your iPhone from the comfort of your tommy Bahamas chair.

7. coachrefparent

coachrefparent Silver

Ratings:
    +634 / 21
    I love the referee scolding about terminology: a person is discounted because they use an old term like obstruction, or handball, or sideline....

They may have been wrong in yelling "it was a DOGSO Yellow," but they likely meant that it should have been a yellow for a foul on a promising attack or any other number of reasons.

8. focomoso

focomoso Bronze

Ratings:
    +165 / 3
    I believe the term is now "¡Mano!"

• Like Like x 1
  9. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,069 / 21
    The coach and I talked after the game. The coach had a vague understanding of DOGSO yellow, but was not aware that the infraction had to occur within the penalty area. Once I explained the 4D’s criteria and why there was no yellow card option the, coach agreed with me. He may not have liked the ejection, but he understood why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. *GOBEARGO*

*GOBEARGO* Silver

Ratings:
    +699 / 12
    I just want to call out a ref that I think is one of the best or pretty close to the best ref in Southern Ca-Kevin Morales...top notch. When I see him as the CR for the game, I know the game will be played under control. Makes the game easy to watch.

Surfref do you know him?

11. Not_that_Serious

Not_that_Serious Bronze

Ratings:
    +234 / 6
    you keep referring to the spectators, im only talking about coaches. Im also aware about how leagues & cal south want coaches to engage refs. never anything wrong with asking a question, about clarification, in a respectful manner . No yelling or disrespect involved. Ignoring comments, or snarky comments masked as questions are one thing, but to ignore "legit" questions is another. Situations dont usually escalate when questions are asked in a certain manner, an experienced ref will know what is legit or not. To ignore the question will only probably only agitate the sideline on other calls. Most of the refs who i have encountered who have the "i dont need to respond" attitude are those who feel they are never wrong , just there because it pays, or know they never have to explain a bad call with this attitude. never seen this at the pro level, refs will tell you what the call is and tell you to move on. i know this isnt the pro level, but instruction and goal should be to mimic the most professional setting available. again, i understand some coaches/sidelines are nuts, see it every week, but still need to be allowed some engagement - in a respectful manner.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Surfref

Surfref Silver Elite

Ratings:
    +2,069 / 21
    Professional games have a 4th official that can communicate with the coach. There are rarely 4th officials on youth games. If play is still on going (no call), players want a quick kick, ceremonial kick (move the wall) or I have to deal with a possible injury, explaining something to the coach is my last priority. It is not because I am ignoring the coach, but because I have game management issues to handle that are more important than explaining a call or non-call to a coach. If I have the luxury of time and the coach is close enough that I don’t have to yell, I will give them a very very brief explanation. Sometimes I will just give the coach a thumbs up so they know I heard them and other times I may indicate with one of the old college or HS signals to indicate what foul I called. The last thing I want to do, especially, with HS age players is to take my eye off of the players after a foul. Players are smart and will watch a referee and as soon as the referee looks away the will retaliate or do something dumb.

13. KeeperFolks

KeeperFolks Bronze

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know what happened to the 2005 Placentia Pats flight 1 team for this season? Their wins have been wiped and it seems they have been ejected for the season.

14. Definitelynotanotherref

Definitelynotanotherref Bronze

Ratings:
    +135 / 5
    I know him, he is a Temecula referee and is the Vice President of the TVSRA. He is a solid referee and he will get a lot of games. I think reffing is his full time commitment, not 100% on that, but he definitely likes the 8+ game weekends.

He refs a tight game, he loves mentoring young up and comers. He and I have had an interesting debate on how much we should tolerate from parents. He has a pretty low tolerance for mouthy parents, I prefer to ignore them as long as the ire is directed at me and not the players. He knows the laws for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Definitelynotanotherref

Definitelynotanotherref Bronze

Ratings:
    +135 / 5
    I think the problem with the spectator perspective (your perspective) is that you (and I if I am being a spectator) are not focused on the laws part of the game while we watch. Instead we are watching the game.

What I mean to say is that I have heard professional referee comms and they will actually say "DOGSO DOGSO DOGSO!" before a foul is even committed because if you see the foul and THEN try to look around where the defenders are, you will more often than not see 2-3 defenders behind the foul. DOGSO is a call that needs to be anticipated.

That 1-2 seconds it takes to see the foul, judge the foul, decide to call the foul, and then the time it takes to physically bring the whistle from your waist you your mouth is a huge difference.
    Let us say the process is done ridiculously fast in half a second. Assuming most players can sprint 40 yards in 5 seconds, you are looking at an over 5 yards difference between where the defenders are when the foul occurs and where they are a half second later when you try and see if it is DOGSO or not.

So I am taking your "facts" about the position of the defenders with a grain of salt. As for the direction, if you are going toward the corner flag at a 45 degree angle from the center of the field it wouldn't meet the Direction criteria, but even 30 degrees from the center of the field I would still be thinking DOGSO. From parts other than the center of the field it is more of an art than a science. Remember the 4 D's are only criteria. Ie:I would overlook a weak Control criteria if the other 3 D's are pretty blatant. (weak, not non-existent)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Soccer43

Soccer43

Ratings:
    +599 / 19
    Isn't that the team being discussed in the "2005 brawl" thread?

17. TangoCity

TangoCity Silver

Ratings:
    +631 / 12
    99% Coaches/Parents asking for calls to be explained is A) passive aggresiveness that they don't like your call, and or B) people who watch too much NFL football or NBA basketball.

• Like Like x 1
  18. OrangeCountyDad

OrangeCountyDad Bronze

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    after 1 daughter's game, I was walking to collect the other daughter from the nearby playground. CR from our game randomly made eye contact as I was approaching him and he had that initial look of 'oh shit, here it comes' so I quickly defused by saying "good job today, thank you" and he looked sooooo relieved.

• Like Like x 2