Deliberate handball to prevent a goal - OK or Not?

Slightly off topic, but I have a seen a player deliberately handle a ball and still fail to prevent the goal. (Goalkeeping is harder than it looks!) What is the ruling in this case? I think the goal was called off, a yellow card issued, and a penalty awarded. This seemed like the wrong call to me, but curious I'm what surfref and others think.

As to the OP's scenario, the player who committed the foul did so while knowing the consequences, and it sounds like it was the right choice. Fouling is part of the game- as long as no one is injured, I don't see a problem with it.

If your friend cheated when playing golf with you, would you continue to play with him? How about tennis? Poker?

There is more to sports than winning at all costs.

Slightly off topic, but I have a seen a player deliberately handle a ball and still fail to prevent the goal. (Goalkeeping is harder than it looks!) What is the ruling in this case? I think the goal was called off, a yellow card issued, and a penalty awarded. This seemed like the wrong call to me, but curious I'm what surfref and others think.
That's definitely the wrong ruling. The ref can "play on" even with a handball in the box. (Unless he blew the whistle before the ball went in.)

As to the OP's scenario, the player who committed the foul did so while knowing the consequences, and it sounds like it was the right choice. Fouling is part of the game- as long as no one is injured, I don't see a problem with it.
This exact scenario happened in the 2017 El Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Action is stopped when the foul occurred: no goal even though the ball went in, red card, then PK.

If your friend cheated when playing golf with you, would you continue to play with him? How about tennis? Poker?

There is more to sports than winning at all costs.

In today's world, I am not surprised that someone would rate this posting "Dumb".

This exact scenario happened in the 2017 El Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona. Action is stopped when the foul occurred: no goal even though the ball went in, red card, then PK.
Another example of the way the team from the capital cheats.

In today's world, I am not surprised that someone would rate this posting "Dumb".

This is not golf, but even in golf, you can elect to take a penalty stroke.

Knowing and playing by the rules is fine, it’s not like they found a loophole in the rules by intentionally handling it... and if there was a loophole, then maybe the rules are incomplete and need updating.

This is not golf, but even in golf, you can elect to take a penalty stroke.

Knowing and playing by the rules is fine, it’s not like they found a loophole in the rules by intentionally handling it... and if there was a loophole, then maybe the rules are incomplete and need updating.

A non-keeper stopping a ball headed into the goal with a hand is not "playing by the rules", which is the whole point.

A non-keeper stopping a ball headed into the goal with a hand is not "playing by the rules", which is the whole point.

So should a basketball coach tell players to intentionally foul the other team? You’d call that cheating? If you make that choice or the choice to use your hands if you’re not the keeper there is a consequence. You are breaking a rule just like a foul to stop a breakaway. There’s a natural result of that and you have to make that determination in the moment. It’s part of the game. In high school basketball we were up 3 with seconds to go and I knowingly fouled a terrible free throw shooter (also my friend) on the other team with their team in the double bonus. Is that cheating? It was a smart play. My friend wasn’t mad or bitter. They understood completely the chess match going on in every game.

So should a basketball coach tell players to intentionally foul the other team? You’d call that cheating? If you make that choice or the choice to use your hands if you’re not the keeper there is a consequence. You are breaking a rule just like a foul to stop a breakaway. There’s a natural result of that and you have to make that determination in the moment. It’s part of the game. In high school basketball we were up 3 with seconds to go and I knowingly fouled a terrible free throw shooter (also my friend) on the other team with their team in the double bonus. Is that cheating? It was a smart play. My friend wasn’t mad or bitter. They understood completely the chess match going on in every game.

The basketball parallel to the incident described would be goaltending, in which case the referee awards the 2 or 3 points.

I’ve coached beginner basketball players. It’s hard to teach the rules with 1 practice per week. We teach the basics and learn a bit on the fly during games.
One of the early season halftime talking points “you’ve got 5 fouls each. Let’s use them.”

Last edited:

Wrong, it actually is playing by the rules - the rules address the action and consequences perfectly, just like the penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds is a turnover. Breaking the rules would be not giving the player a red card and sending him off or allowing the team that kicked out of bounds to maintain possession.

Using your basketball example of goaltending, sometimes it’s better to just give them the clear 2-3pts just to send a message. It’s addressed by the rules and part of the game.

Don’t hate the playa, hate the game, my friend... =)

Wrong, it actually is playing by the rules - the rules address the action and consequences perfectly, just like the penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds is a turnover. Breaking the rules would be not giving the player a red card and sending him off or allowing the team that kicked out of bounds to maintain possession.

Using your basketball example of goaltending, sometimes it’s better to just give them the clear 2-3pts just to send a message. It’s addressed by the rules and part of the game.

Don’t hate the playa, hate the game, my friend... =)

I have never heard breaking the rules described as "actually playing by the rules".

Your argument has no logic.

If I'm reading this correctly based on comments here, a player had the presence of mind and soccer IQ to make an assessment while the ball was in flight that... 1. he could save a goal using his hand to deflect a certain goal 2. which he knew would result in a red card and his team playing a man down 3. but it was late in the game so that skewed the decision process to it being a smart move, 4. That this decision gave a slight edge because the goalie might make the save, even though statistically less likely to make the save still better chances than a sure goal. I can only imagine how excited the team and sideline were when that goalie actually made the save. Imagining the goalie and team celebrating that save puts a big smile on my face regardless of the dastardly premeditated decision that totally screwed over the other team. :) fun stuff!!

Bravo young man I am impressed and wouldn't think to second guess that split second decision.

Only because I’ve heard it in sidelines plenty of times- But, after the pk miss did some of the parents shout out “karma!!!!” ?

It’s the same thing that would have been said if the pk had scored.
It seems to be something that dads in camouflage cargo shorts like to shout out during youth soccer games.

If yelled out during this particular moment, they probably think something happened earlier in the game was payback for the missed pk.

It’s the same thing that would have been said if the pk had scored.
It seems to be something that dads in camouflage cargo shorts like to shout out during youth soccer games.

If yelled out during this particular moment, they probably think something happened earlier in the game was payback for the missed pk.
The other classic is when a team doesn’t think a pk should have been awarded against them and the shooter doesn’t take it. “Ball doesn’t lie”. Always gives me a chuckle.

The other classic is when a team doesn’t think a pk should have been awarded against them and the shooter doesn’t take it. “Ball doesn’t lie”. Always gives me a chuckle.
For sure. If there is ever a pk in a game turn to your buddy and say “I bet you my mortgage and family that if they miss, someone will say “ball don’t lie”. You’ll never lose.

Back