DA vs. Non DA Tournament Tactics

If not by wins, how do you measure that?

A team's winning doesn't measure whether anyone's daughter is winning which I would equate to her being developed. Having lots of ULittle trophies doesn't necessarily translate to a player that will make a YNT or have an impact in college.

A team's winning doesn't measure whether anyone's daughter is winning which I would equate to her being developed. Having lots of ULittle trophies doesn't necessarily translate to a player that will make a YNT or have an impact in college.

How do you measure "better team" when they are still Ulittles?

I don't believe this u11 team was a DA team, they may be from a club that at the older level has DA teams but their u-littles are just u-littles. Selling the parents of 10 year olds that their kids are part of the Development Academy is money maker not an on field strategy.

I think these teams were older than U11. It was mentioned they played 11 vs 11.

I think this was more about how the coaches reacted and not about who won or loss. Instead of just shaking the other teams hands and saying good game, then using the game as a learning experience, these coaches showed they shouldn't be leading your kids to anything.

I agree there. I honestly hate all the stall tactics. Go ahead and play defensively if that's the plan, but don't pull all the stall tactic crap. That's just annoying.

Its possible they "went ape-shit" due to excessive stall tactics, including my least favorite, subbing the same 4 players in and out every possible opportunity, so that it is a constant movement from the bench to eat up the minutes -- not from the other team trying to play defensively. Just throwing it out there as the more plausible of the two.

Likely a ussda club that has a tournament but doesn't have DA brackets since not enough of those types are interested or something like that, my guess is Albion Cup since that was recently and fits the MO.

Most of the time these are preseason teams with some players that are trying out or guesting and the label can be misleading sort of like some of the other teams labeled ECNL or whatever in tournaments I've seen and that hasn't even started yet. Tournaments using Cal South Cards since they don't have usclub cards yet for the most part so don't get too caught on the pseudo labels.

Bottom line for that one game the better team won, no excuses, rants, or bs necessary. Accepting defeat gracefully and respecting all opponents is part of the game, coaches should be teaching that.

I'm wondering why the DA coaches are losing it because of late game defensive substitutions? How does that violate DA policy?

Also, and this seems to be a problem common to the European academies as well, the DA system seems to be producing massive numbers or quality midfielders and wing players, but can't develop strikers at all.

Its possible they "went ape-shit" due to excessive stall tactics, including my least favorite, subbing the same 4 players in and out every possible opportunity, so that it is a constant movement from the bench to eat up the minutes -- not from the other team trying to play defensively. Just throwing it out there as the more plausible of the two.

The subbing to stall the game will not happen in true DA vs DA games. The subs are limited, so coaches have to choose when to sub carefully.

I'm wondering why the DA coaches are losing it because of late game defensive substitutions? How does that violate DA policy?

It doesn't violate any policy. Bottom line is they were embarrassed to be losing to a non DA team, especially now since they are in the midst of the propaganda campaign to sell DA.

The DA coaches (and there are a bunch on the sideline) go nuts yelling at the non DA coach for his lack of class (for going defensive), they yell at him saying that they will make sure the non DA team never gets DA status ( I have no idea if they even want too, but found the words of choice interesting).

They seem to have made a good argument against closed leagues like DA, GDA and ECNL.

Yes, its the "worst" when coaches improperly tell their teams to play defense, especially when they have scored more goals than their supposedly "superior" opponent.
THAT. IS. SO WRONG.

Have the coaches and players never watched an NBA all star game or NFL pro Bowl game, where you only play offense? Jeez, they really need to learn how to play soccer. And especially if the "lesser team's" defense is trying to clear a ball out of their penalty area during a ferocious attack by a "DA" team. Coach should demand they pass it around the box and play it out of the back.
Fools.

If they would just "honor the game," (aka futbol or soccer) they would play to the strengths of the opponent so the better (losing) team can get back into the game as god intended them to do, so they can all develop (learn?) more. Stupid coach.
First of all how, if the focus is on development, why do the coaches tell their players to kick it out of bound or boot it out of the box every time they get the ball?
IT IS SO WRONG. The players are not being developed. If the objective is to win games that way, then I'm dead wrong about development. If it is about winning and getting trophies, then my mistake.

That's not soccer? What is it?

All team field sports have some sort of defense. It's not bowling.
I'm not talking just about general defense. Teach the players the correct way to play defense, not just put everyone in the box and boot it out. What are the players learning by doing that? Who cares if they loose.

First of all how, if the focus is on development, why do the coaches tell their players to kick it out of bound or boot it out of the box every time they get the ball?
IT IS SO WRONG. The players are not being developed. If the objective is to win games that way, then I'm dead wrong about development. If it is about winning and getting trophies, then my mistake.
I understand and agree, but a team with a bad record might not get invited to some of the big tourneys, just something to think about. I know this is a da thread, just sayin.

I'm not talking just about general defense. Teach the players the correct way to play defense, not just put everyone in the box and boot it out. What are the players learning by doing that? Who cares if they loose.

What is the correct way to play defense?

What is the correct way to play defense?
Womens-Self-Defense-Page-Images.png

Once again the winning vs development argument rares its ugly head. It is always funny and or discouraging depending what side you are on, when one of the locally based, low cost, unprofessionally coached teams beats one of the high priced, established, ranking seeking "real" soccer club teams. Here is a news flash for the kool-aid drinking, scholarship seeking crazy soccer parents who gravitate toward those high dollar "real" clubs. My dd plays soccer because she likes the sport, she likes going to tounnaments to play "and win" and could care less if it is a DA, ECNL, CRL etc. team, is going to give the team a better Got Soccer rating, or get her in front of more college coaches. I see all those people on the DA team gasping in disbelief, "how can we lose? We pay $2000+ a year, our coach has an accent, we have warm-ups with our names on them and matching back packs for Christ's sake. That team just got a lucky goal and now are playing stall and eat the clock. Thats not real soccer. That's not development. That's not right" Soccer's version of the recently used term "Snowflake"

Once again the winning vs development argument rares its ugly head. It is always funny and or discouraging depending what side you are on, when one of the locally based, low cost, unprofessionally coached teams beats one of the high priced, established, ranking seeking "real" soccer club teams. Here is a news flash for the kool-aid drinking, scholarship seeking crazy soccer parents who gravitate toward those high dollar "real" clubs. My dd plays soccer because she likes the sport, she likes going to tounnaments to play "and win" and could care less if it is a DA, ECNL, CRL etc. team, is going to give the team a better Got Soccer rating, or get her in front of more college coaches. I see all those people on the DA team gasping in disbelief, "how can we lose? We pay $2000+ a year, our coach has an accent, we have warm-ups with our names on them and matching back packs for Christ's sake. That team just got a lucky goal and now are playing stall and eat the clock. Thats not real soccer. That's not development. That's not right" Soccer's version of the recently used term "Snowflake"
Hey not all low cost teams play boot ball, nor do all DA teams choose development over winning.
Actually, I don't know any DA or $2000+ club that doesn't put wins and egos above everything else.

There are two ways to enjoy a youth soccer game. It largely depends on taste. Bear with me here...
To be a violinist, well, a "real" violinist, takes years. Thousands of hours, doing scales and positioning and blah blah for years. Much like it takes to be a "real" soccer player.
But with that same instrument you can fiddle. I don't know how much dedication to the craft is required but I'm sure your daughter could be fiddling in a fraction of the time, should she choose to. She could even play Jailhouse Blues and beat a "real" violinist's version of Bach's #Whatever at a high school talent show. The real violinist's dad will have fought back the tears at the sight of his daughter creating such beauty. You'll be happy too. It's really fun to win. It's a matter of what you want from the experience.

By the way, local teams in Catalonia sometimes beat the Barcelona youth teams playing boot ball. Only at the youth level, though. Later they get crushed.

Back