DA vs. Non DA Tournament Tactics

galaxydad

SILVER ELITE
My buddy told me an interesting story that I thought Id share and see what people on the forum have to say-

Semi final of a tournament (11 v 11 not U littles)- A non DA team was playing a DA team. The DA team takes a 1-0 lead and is passing the ball around real well. All the Non DA parents were impressed with the quality of play. The Non- DA team finds a way to tie it up and then takes the lead in the final 8 minutes.

The Non DA coach puts in another defender and a defensive mid as the DA team is scrapping to tie it back up. He is subbing etc. to hold the lead.

The DA coaches (and there are a bunch on the sideline) go nuts yelling at the non DA coach for his lack of class (for going defensive), they yell at him saying that they will make sure the non DA team never gets DA status ( I have no idea if they even want too, but found the words of choice interesting). They were going ape crazy!

My question- At what age does tactics come into play (including understanding the score and how to win that game)? Should it be the non DA's job to sit and play the formation they started with and not adjust to the score line? Is it unclassy to go defensive and play for the win?

This superiority complex that many of the DA coaches have toward the none DA team is crazy. If you don't do things their way then you we wont let you into their club. They act like they know about the right way to coach and play and the other are just pretenders. Found it interesting.

Thoughts?

My buddy told me an interesting story that I thought Id share and see what people on the forum have to say-

Semi final of a tournament (11 v 11 not U littles)- A non DA team was playing a DA team. The DA team takes a 1-0 lead and is passing the ball around real well. All the Non DA parents were impressed with the quality of play. The Non- DA team finds a way to tie it up and then takes the lead in the final 8 minutes.

The Non DA coach puts in another defender and a defensive mid as the DA team is scrapping to tie it back up. He is subbing etc. to hold the lead.

The DA coaches (and there are a bunch on the sideline) go nuts yelling at the non DA coach for his lack of class (for going defensive), they yell at him saying that they will make sure the non DA team never gets DA status ( I have no idea if they even want too, but found the words of choice interesting). They were going ape crazy!

My question- At what age does tactics come into play (including understanding the score and how to win that game)? Should it be the non DA's job to sit and play the formation they started with and not adjust to the score line? Is it unclassy to go defensive and play for the win?

This superiority complex that many of the DA coaches have toward the none DA team is crazy. If you don't do things their way then you we wont let you into their club. They act like they know about the right way to coach and play and the other are just pretenders. Found it interesting.

Thoughts?
It reminds me of those people that you beat at a sport that have been playing and practicing for years, and they claim that they only lost to you because you are so bad at the game that you don't know how to play it correctly.

A bunch of cry-babies, ha, ha. I'm sure they've never tried to run out the clock playing another DA team. Losing to such a lesser team is a disgrace to them. Its a tournament, and teams play to win. A coach can't change formation during a game or sub? Why do they need a coach?

Yeah I know, "development," blah, blah blah. You should only win by playing it out of the back and never sending long balls to your player that's faster than the opponent's, defenders, blah, blah, blah.

Thoughts?

Sounds like your buddy did some shrooms and then had a hallucination about a soccer game. Why even post this or ask these questions? There are DA coaches that throw clipboards, there are non-DA coaches that assault underage girls... Whatever this story is about it is a generalization if it even happened. Many of the DA coaches are A level coaches and are superior to those D coaches. We need a dumbgeon for posts like this.

Wow! Sounds like the DA coaches just showed how classless and inferior they actually are to these opposing coaches. The object of any game is to win. You see it in World Cup play game after game. Teams "parking the bus" to conserve the win.
But , you're not so naive as to believe that all DA coaches are superior to thier opposing Non-DA coaches, are you? At least on the girls side, there are more "unqualified" coaches leading DA teams than "Qualified", as required by USSGDA. Remember, the enforcement of "A" license is being overlooked. Even if it were, just because a coach has an "A" license, doesn't make him/her a better coach than one who might carry an "E".

Two coaches playing to win a tournament game, the labels don't really matter....

The cliches about one team playing kickball, long ball, defensive, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or whatever else are just mostly excuses, "we where the better team but they got lucky on that last..... long ball, blah blah..." some of the things I hear from my kids get ridiculous sometimes.....

Thoughts?
I thought DA teams can't play in non-approved DA tournaments. If approved isn't it in a DA only bracket. At what tournament did these 2 teams play each other?

Omg, well if they pulled that crap off then I would have a huge smirk at the end of the game. Talk about pretentiousness.

We hype these teams up way too much. Their teens!!! The same physical attributes and rather sane lifestyles, not like one team is superhuman or royalty.

Also this is a tournament! To win is the goal of the game and especially in tournaments, their DA crap can be done in their "level of play" competition.

If the non-DA was such a weak team the DA should have won!

Lets point out that to play nicely you down have to be termed DA or non DA. To be a great team you dont need to be DA or non Da...

I hate when coaches tell their players to play defensevly and tells them to be all in the box. That's not soccer. What are the players learning? To kick the ball out of the box as soon as they get it. The non-DA coach played that tactic and he can do that any time. It was up to the DA coach to have a solution against that tactic. IMO.

Need to play against whatever the other team throws at you. Solving problems is part of developing a strong soccer IQ.

However, the thing I hate most is coaches that go up a goal and immediate resort to kicking the ball as far out of bounds as possible l.

Need to play against whatever the other team throws at you. Solving problems is part of developing a strong soccer IQ.

However, the thing I hate most is coaches that go up a goal and immediate resort to kicking the ball as far out of bounds as possible l.
I agree there. I honestly hate all the stall tactics. Go ahead and play defensively if that's the plan, but don't pull all the stall tactic crap. That's just annoying.

I hate when coaches tell their players to play defensevly and tells them to be all in the box. That's not soccer. What are the players learning? To kick the ball out of the box as soon as they get it. The non-DA coach played that tactic and he can do that any time. It was up to the DA coach to have a solution against that tactic. IMO.
Yes, its the "worst" when coaches improperly tell their teams to play defense, especially when they have scored more goals than their supposedly "superior" opponent.
THAT. IS. SO WRONG.

Have the coaches and players never watched an NBA all star game or NFL pro Bowl game, where you only play offense? Jeez, they really need to learn how to play soccer. And especially if the "lesser team's" defense is trying to clear a ball out of their penalty area during a ferocious attack by a "DA" team. Coach should demand they pass it around the box and play it out of the back.
Fools.

If they would just "honor the game," (aka futbol or soccer) they would play to the strengths of the opponent so the better (losing) team can get back into the game as god intended them to do, so they can all develop (learn?) more. Stupid coach.

That's not soccer? What is it?

All team field sports have some sort of defense. It's not bowling.

Don't they know that "better" teams are always supposed to win?
Win you come in as a higher ranked team or a team with a DA patch vs non-DA you will likely find the teams that you are playing will employ tactics that might not be "traditional".
Look at El Salvador vs USA in the Gold Cup quarterfinals. They played dirty knowing their best chance was to hurt someone or bait a player into throwing a punch and getting kicked out.
Will DA teams all be playing the exact same style against each other? That may create a prettier game than in the past, but will they have exposure to different styles? Will they be able to grind out wins against teams with a "punchers chance" of winning

Thoughts?

First off, this was a boys team, correct? The DA coach has no control over which clubs are accepted by US soccer. Sounds like the coaches who went "ape crazy" are probably having what is typically called a "melt down", sort of like what a toddler would do and are not the type of coach that US soccer wants or prefers.

Two coaches playing to win a tournament game, the labels don't really matter....

The cliches about one team playing kickball, long ball, defensive, 4-5-1, 4-4-2 or whatever else are just mostly excuses, "we where the better team but they got lucky on that last..... long ball, blah blah..." some of the things I hear from my kids get ridiculous sometimes.....

But the reality is that sometimes the less skilled, the less athletic team gets a lucky break and scores either with the assistance of the ref or the environment (ie excessive wind). It happens, it doesn't mean they have a better coach or a better team.

Don't they know that "better" teams are always supposed to win?
Win you come in as a higher ranked team or a team with a DA patch vs non-DA you will likely find the teams that you are playing will employ tactics that might not be "traditional".
Look at El Salvador vs USA in the Gold Cup quarterfinals. They played dirty knowing their best chance was to hurt someone or bait a player into throwing a punch and getting kicked out.
Will DA teams all be playing the exact same style against each other? That may create a prettier game than in the past, but will they have exposure to different styles? Will they be able to grind out wins against teams with a "punchers chance" of winning

Since so many of the girls coming into the new DA system have played for a few years, they absolutely can handle the "punchers" and "kickers" and dirty players. They have been there and done that!

But the reality is that sometimes the less skilled, the less athletic team gets a lucky break and scores either with the assistance of the ref or the environment (ie excessive wind). It happens, it doesn't mean they have a better coach or a better team.

If not by wins, how do you measure that?

Back