D.A POLL

IS IT GOOD FOR YOUTH SOCCER THAT THE D.A. HAS SHUTDOWN?

• YES

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • NO

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • POSSIBLY

Votes: 40 24.1%

• Total voters
Aside from the bias in your statement, there is a massive hole in your logic. The DA was only just a LEAGUE. The people running the DA were the clubs. US Soccer simply subsidized a league for these DA club teams to play. The subsidized league paid for referees and had some tournaments/playoffs. The clubs participating the DA League had some excellent results and identifying kids for the next level of development, but we had two problems:
  1. There was (and remains) no "next level" of professional development in the US on par with our European and Latin American friends for that critical stage of 17-22.
  2. Only a lucky few with dual citizenship could escape the US young adult development (18-22) disaster and sign with real professional academies (Pulisc, Sargent, Reyna, etc.)
To hold US Soccer accountable "for result" when the youth clubs and MLS had 100% controllof development is silly and illogical. To hold US Soccer accountable for the fact that the MLS and USL are inept at player development is likewise silly. There isn't a single MLS team that could compete at the Premiere League level or Bundalisga or Liga 1 or just about any other Division 1 league.

This is not and never has been US Soccer's cross to bear, it is the 110% on the MLS and USL.

... well maybe US Soccer is to blame in 1 area, which is its lack of embracing RSTP (training and solidarity fees). This failure set us back at least a decade or more. Fortunately, the MLS pulled its head out of its ass and is now demanding RSTP payments for the loss of its youth academy players.
Point taken about Europe and Sargent went at 17 but he doesn't have dual citizenship.

Point taken about Europe and Sargent went at 17 but he doesn't have dual citizenship.
You don’t need dual citizenship if you stay in a border region. Maybe Club Tijuana or Rayados of Monterrey; the cool part about Rayados is that your kid could attend Tech de Monterrey for undergrad. USSF new CEO Wilson attended Tech and it’s a great school!

Oh yeah, one more thing. If the kid plays for Club Tijuana they also have the option to attend UCSD, USD, or SDSU. So both Mexican teams are great options in terms of access to a professional environment AND elite universities.

Oh yeah, one more thing. If the kid plays for Club Tijuana they also have the option to attend UCSD, USD, or SDSU. So both Mexican teams are great options in terms of access to a professional environment AND elite universities.

How does that work? Is there a special program for Club Tijuana players?

How does that work? Is there a special program for Club Tijuana players?
There’s an academy program called Fuerzas Basicas. This upcoming fall the 2008 birth year enters the program. It’s a cut throat competitive process to make it to the first team. Most fail. I believe it was Joe Corona that dropped out of SDSU because of lack of funds and entered Club Tijuana’s academy late but made their first team. Liga Mx also pays some men very well and the level of play is currently higher than MLS.
If someone knows of a “special” kid that they think is being overlooked...send me a message.

You don’t need dual citizenship if you stay in a border region. Maybe Club Tijuana or Rayados of Monterrey; the cool part about Rayados is that your kid could attend Tech de Monterrey for undergrad. USSF new CEO Wilson attended Tech and it’s a great school!
What? An American minor who lives in SD can compete for a LigaMX academy? I don't think so...

You want to bet? How much?
Seriously though many of the kids in TJ are also US citizens. FIFA rules allow kids that live in a border region to play on the “other side” for lack of better words. I’m aware of several currently but most are of Mexican descent. My kid is African-American. The owners of Club Tijuana are of German descent. If you kid can ball, they’ll be seriously considered.

What? An American minor who lives in SD can compete for a LigaMX academy? I don't think so.

Well...no experience with liga mex academy but know first hand a number of San duego kids who represent Baja at state level And u15 Mexico youth teams. Also know one kid who is Mexican nationality who played da in San Diego. So I would think that is possible just from reciprocity.

I believe mex number 9 on the female side national team who played at the Olympic trials is an American. A number of girls play in liga mex feminil at first teams today.

The best part about DA was the coaching or teaching. However, not sure if my experience is a club specific thing or DA mandated. Maybe someone can tell me.

I like the fact that the coach teaches a well planned out curriculum. Every week players are taught a specific part of the game and they understood they are following a curriculum.

Also like that the coach arrives 30 minutes earlier to setup the field. And he requires training to start on time (not including warm up) so players have to arrive early and warm up themselves.

Trainings were also hard.

It almost feels like you are in a football school not just playing travel soccer.

I hope the new league could replicate these parts of it.
Sure beats all those coaches who stand around talking on their cell phones or talking to other coaches at the field when they are supposed to be coaching.

With the World Cup being held in N.America 6 years from now, you'd like to think there is a master plan coming to get that mens US WC crop developed and ready.. but whats happening appears to be happening off the cuff.

What is happening is anything but off the cuff and the Covid shutdown simply accelerated the plan.

In the last few months there has been 1 major competitive challenge to the DA, which was the USL announced and was set to begin the USL-A youth system.

As you may or may not know, back in 2015/16, US Soccer hired a company out of Belgium, called DoublePASS which is a football auditing firm that helped the Germany and Belgium and many clubs and leagues previously. DoublePASS visited the MLS and other DA programs. The basic conclusions were that the USA system was seriously broken and hamstrung by a system that dissuaded investment in players. The DoublePASS auditors preliminary assessments were not good.

In 2019, the MLS changed course on Solidarity and Training Fees and (despite US Soccer's insistence to remain neutral) embraced the FIFA player investment compensation system the rest of the world embraced. What the MLS began doing behind the scenes was preparing for an eventually separation from the DA League, the first step was to divide the DA league into DA 1 (MLS teams and a few others) and DA 2 for the 2021 season ... then Covid hapens. The MLS accelerates the plan threatening to pull all MLS teams earlier than anticipated. US Soccer now has a perfect excuse and everybody saves face.

Ultimately, this has been the plan and in line with the preliminary recommendations of the DoublePASS auditors to bring US Soccer professional development in line with the rest of the world. It starts with the MLS teams putting on their big boy pants and taking ownership of its youth academies, investing in its youth academies and treating the boys in those academies as assets.

Off the cuff? No. This has been the plan, it just is happening sooner than originally intended thanks to Covid, but that really is a good thing.

The benefit of moving toward highly competitive youth academies that treat the athletes as investments also means that we will also be looking to improve the quality in the 2nd Division. If the USL can rise to the challenge, if not, the MLS will be forced to make a move there as well. For the time being, however, the trend is all positive. US Soccer is no longer pressuring players to play in the MLS, which is currently substandard, and encouraging our talent to move to European leagues as soon as possible.

Well...no experience with liga mex academy but know first hand a number of San duego kids who represent Baja at state level And u15 Mexico youth teams. Also know one kid who is Mexican nationality who played da in San Diego. So I would think that is possible just from reciprocity.

I believe mex number 9 on the female side national team who played at the Olympic trials is an American. A number of girls play in liga mex feminil at first teams today.
Correct. She’s also the striker for Xolo’s.

Seriously though many of the kids in TJ are also US citizens. FIFA rules allow kids that live in a border region to play on the “other side” for lack of better words. I’m aware of several currently but most are of Mexican descent. My kid is African-American. The owners of Club Tijuana are of German descent. If you kid can ball, they’ll be seriously considered.
Is it ok if the goat's great grandma from Mexico and Grandpa is Guatemalan? Or it doesn;t matter as long as you can ball?

What is happening is anything but off the cuff and the Covid shutdown simply accelerated the plan.

In the last few months there has been 1 major competitive challenge to the DA, which was the USL announced and was set to begin the USL-A youth system.

As you may or may not know, back in 2015/16, US Soccer hired a company out of Belgium, called DoublePASS which is a football auditing firm that helped the Germany and Belgium and many clubs and leagues previously. DoublePASS visited the MLS and other DA programs. The basic conclusions were that the USA system was seriously broken and hamstrung by a system that dissuaded investment in players. The DoublePASS auditors preliminary assessments were not good.

In 2019, the MLS changed course on Solidarity and Training Fees and (despite US Soccer's insistence to remain neutral) embraced the FIFA player investment compensation system the rest of the world embraced. What the MLS began doing behind the scenes was preparing for an eventually separation from the DA League, the first step was to divide the DA league into DA 1 (MLS teams and a few others) and DA 2 for the 2021 season ... then Covid hapens. The MLS accelerates the plan threatening to pull all MLS teams earlier than anticipated. US Soccer now has a perfect excuse and everybody saves face.

Ultimately, this has been the plan and in line with the preliminary recommendations of the DoublePASS auditors to bring US Soccer professional development in line with the rest of the world. It starts with the MLS teams putting on their big boy pants and taking ownership of its youth academies, investing in its youth academies and treating the boys in those academies as assets.

Off the cuff? No. This has been the plan, it just is happening sooner than originally intended thanks to Covid, but that really is a good thing.

The benefit of moving toward highly competitive youth academies that treat the athletes as investments also means that we will also be looking to improve the quality in the 2nd Division. If the USL can rise to the challenge, if not, the MLS will be forced to make a move there as well. For the time being, however, the trend is all positive. US Soccer is no longer pressuring players to play in the MLS, which is currently substandard, and encouraging our talent to move to European leagues as soon as possible.

I dunno about some of what your saying USL academy was announced last year and they have all ready been playing and came out many months ago about he fall 2021 season.

Ussda already announced new clubs including mls ones that they accepted for the 20-21 season in Feb/march.

ECNL and other usclub leagues where already competitors to da.

Solidarity & training compensation will be nice but no clubs have recovered any fees, they can embrace all the want but until the $$ start coming in, seeing is believing.

There makes up this new league as they go which is fine but to say all this was pre-planned is a very big stretch.

MLS can't even make their payroll now, 300million+ liability. Without the games playings ticket sales, etc there in a world of financial hurt.

MWN, do you have any links to the findings of Double Pass? I once stumbled across some individual club reports that I think were prepared by Double Pass, but I've never seen any overall findings or report regarding US Soccer's development program(s).

My son's club was assessed by Double Pass only a couple months ago.

Is it ok if the goat's great grandma from Mexico and Grandpa is Guatemalan? Or it doesn;t matter as long as you can ball?
For the boys it doesn’t matter currently but TaTa the MNT coach is currently advocating that the federation limit foreigners to give young Mexicans better opportunities to develop.
For girls, there’s currently a ban on all foreign players. I thought my kid was going to be the first foreigner allowed but I believe the process to grant her Mexican citizenship has started.
In your situation, I think the worst case scenario would take 2-3 years for citizenship because of close familial ties. The league will be opened to foreigners soon. Either way, your kid has nothing to lose...she should check it out.

Thanks for the info and yes, FIFA Article 19, subsection 2.c. provides for such a possibility for a kid near the border.

MWN, do you have any links to the findings of Double Pass? I once stumbled across some individual club reports that I think were prepared by Double Pass, but I've never seen any overall findings or report regarding US Soccer's development program(s).

My son's club was assessed by Double Pass only a couple months ago.

Same seen some really old or drafts one but the only finals ones I known of are tightly held. Nobody I know seems willing to share but parts of the reports so that tells me something,.

The other thing is despite these reports and the millions spendt on them not sure anybody can really show the return on investment for them.

why would reports for the last 6 years make and difference for a new League? What's going to be different? Did DA change all that much as a result of these reports?

Nice that people cheerleader reports and how there will doing things better in the future but not many live up to that cheerleading, hope they do but when you already struck out once some don't have the same optimism.

I have a question, will the newly added Boys ECNL Clubs that were in the DA also field MLS Academy League teams? WIth the article on the MLS site today having Lipka saying “It's not time to exclude, it’s time to include”. I could see ECNL not allowing it though.

Same seen some really old or drafts one but the only finals ones I known of are tightly held. Nobody I know seems willing to share but parts of the reports so that tells me something,.

The other thing is despite these reports and the millions spendt on them not sure anybody can really show the return on investment for them.

why would reports for the last 6 years make and difference for a new League? What's going to be different? Did DA change all that much as a result of these reports?

Nice that people cheerleader reports and how there will doing things better in the future but not many live up to that cheerleading, hope they do but when you already struck out once some don't have the same optimism.

Yeah, kinda of my thoughts as well. Double Pass was supposed to revolutionize US soccer development. Doesn't seem to be any material tangible benefits that resulted from years of analyses and millions spent on Double Pass. My sons's current DA team I know worked with Double Pass to develop a "periodization" training program. It was very detailed and looked impressive. His training was certainly better than his former DA club which for the most part relied primarily just on some form of a rondo for training. I didn't hear or see any evidence that his former club worked with Double Pass. My suspicion is that for most clubs it was a lot easier to recruit better players than spend the long-term effort it required to follow a periodization model, nor do I think parents have the patience for such a model.

Back