CRL

Eusebio

SILVER ELITE
So the CRL play-in has concluded. Were there any surprises? Does anyone know how the qualifications work? Are they taking the top 2 teams in each group plus 2 wild cards for a total of 12 teams?

I'm really curious how all these teams look after the birthyear and DA shakeup. Looking over several age groups, Golden State seems to be the only DA club that still has strong non-DA teams.

I found the list for all the teams that qualified for CRL in the Olders divisions. I think the other forums already posted their lists, so I'll just post the '02s

A1 Albion SC B02 Academy
A2 AC Brea B02 Red
B1 Beach FC SB B02
B2 Downey FC
C1 FC Golden State 2002
C2 Strikers FC South Coast B02
D1 Strikers South Bay 2002
D2 LAGSB 2002
E1 Total Futbol Academy
E2 West Coast FC B02

So I think the league breakdown is this:
CSL - 5 teams
SCDSL - 5 teams
SDDA - 0 teams

One Full DA status club - Golden State
One Partial DA status club - Albion

From last year's BU13 age group, I'm only familiar with a few of those teams. Anyone with knowledge of last year's B14 familiar with the above teams? As Coach4fun said, most likely the non-DA teams with older 2002s will probably be the stronger teams.

Also the USSDA season doesn't officially start until August, so you still might see a few DA teams competing against the "common folk" over the next couple of weeks. I think I saw the Albion DA 2002 competing in the Albion Cup this weekend. Not sure how that tournament helps them prepare for DA. Any other DA team sightings in late July tournaments?

All of Albion DA teams are playing. Its our club tournament so have to represent.

As for what they get out of it is live game time against other teams and not just scrimmaging within the club. This is a new team like so many others. We have boys from 5 different Albion teams coming together so they need to learn to play together. They did a great job at the Manchester City Cup but still have a lot of work to be ready for the long DA season.

I guess.

But it is indeed a long season and the DA league doesn't even keep standings at this age. There's going to be plenty of time to learn to play together over the next 11 months. I just find it odd that DA teams were suppose to play less games and spend more time training than club teams, yet over this summer I've seen some of the new DA teams play just as many (if not more) games & tournaments than the regular club teams. These DA teams are basically still being run like Flight 1 club teams.

Cant speak for the others but for us it will only be the 2 Surf tournaments and ours. And Surf Cup is only against DA teams.

Also, if you go to the schedule for DA and click on any U14 team name they are listing standings this year.

Albion SC B02 Academy in CRL is the Garton team and not the DA team (Holohan)

With all the "Academy" labels on regular club teams sometimes hard to tell who's who? unless you look at the roster or coach

Really not suppose to mix DA comp with normal teams but can get away with it prior to season start. Many teams (Golden State, Strikers, etx) don't play in their "own" tournament unless they have a strict DA only bracket

I don't know if it has to do with the fact Albion only has Dev teams (04,03,02) in the DA league but unless they get full DA next year or there are changes last years (15-16) 01's & this years 16-17 season (02,03's) will have to look elsewhere if they want to continue to play DA.

No USSDA teams are competing in crl . They can't. Some USSDA teams are at surf cup , but can only play one game per day as noted in the rules . That's why it's five days for those playing in the ussda brackets. Some PDA teams who will be USSDA come August are playing up .

Really not suppose to mix DA comp with normal teams but can get away with it prior to season start. Many teams (Golden State, Strikers, etx) don't play in their "own" tournament unless they have a strict DA only bracket

I don't know if it has to do with the fact Albion only has Dev teams (04,03,02) in the DA league but unless they get full DA next year or there are changes last years (15-16) 01's & this years 16-17 season (02,03's) will have to look elsewhere if they want to continue to play DA.

Yeah, I don't think they should be mixed either. Or if it's going to be mixed with DA/Club competition, then at least have some strong club teams. Looking at the Albion DA '02 results in the Albion Cup, they've been 6-0. 7-0, 1-0, and 7-1 (semi-final). Aside from that Vargas match, they were probably just better off setting up scrimmages from a development and competition standpoint. Because from the outside it just looks like a trophy-grab. Putting a DA team among pedestrian Flight 1.5 and Flight 2 teams doesn't seem productive for anyone.

Just irks me when I see a DA team being run like standard club team. It's an indication that the priorities are in the wrong place. Maybe US Soccer needs to upgrade some of the Dev DA teams (04,03,02) that have been around for a few years. Either upgrade them or give them a clear path beyond u13/14 with some kind of affiliation with Full Status/MLS academies. Might help the Dev DA teams feel less pressure to get good results in the standings and avoid silly things like entering DA teams into Flight 2 tournaments. I'm guessing the Dev DA clubs feel like they're constantly auditioning for full status.

"pedestrian Flight 1.5 and Flight 2 teams" . Flight 2 tournament? 3 CRL teams were in this tournament. And the semi final game was against a CRL team. The finals is against another CRL team.

It matters not. This 02 team is made up of only Albion players. No new recruits or any one outside of the club from last year. After this one year of DA they will be back to club level.

Made no excuses for winning Surf's Manchester City Cup and no excuses for this tournament. Next will be Surf Cup then the DA season. See you next year.

There are some DoCs that play fast and loose with the DA rules, ie entering their DA team into regular tournaments under a non-DA team title. There are at least two SoCal clubs that do it often and one prominent club in WA as well.

First weekend with a quick turn around with afternoon sat & early sunday morning games.

This seems wide open but I guess we will see who jumps out this first weekend.

Good match up between TFA and Beach. We Play Downey, it's nice to play some different team this year ,we have been playing the some ones for years!

Congratulations to West Coast 02 Wallace for their win against TFA. WC 5 / TFA 0
WC Wallace in first place in CRL and only allowing 2 goals in 4 games.

I would go on to say that they are your CRL winners! They have beat the teams that could have given them run. They play real nice...

Back