CRL Play-In

CRL Play-in finished today. Any surprises? It's hard to tell with the birth-year and team name changes, but I see several of the same teams that played CRL last year. Loooking forward to another good year.

Huge surprise on TFA and AC Brea - also Surf not conceding a goal is extremely impressive and West Coast having a 14 GD in 3 games is impressive as well. It will be interesting to see if they are that dominent or if the brackets were not balanced.

Huge surprise on TFA and AC Brea - also Surf not conceding a goal is extremely impressive and West Coast having a 14 GD in 3 games is impressive as well. It will be interesting to see if they are that dominent or if the brackets were not balanced.

We (brea) are very disappointed. Not sure how many teams there were better than us. I know not 10. However, what cost us was not the loss to a good Albion Academy team. It was giving up late goals in the final minutes when up 3-0 in both of our 1st two games. That's why we are not in because of that loss of focus late. I thought we played very well most of the weekend considering it was about their 5-6th time ever playing together as a group. We'll survive and try to fix issues on whoever we play next.

So what teams qualified?

Winner of brackets; A-F so that's six teams , where do the rest come from or get in? for a total of how many teams?

We (brea) are very disappointed. Not sure how many teams there were better than us. I know not 10. However, what cost us was not the loss to a good Albion Academy team. It was giving up late goals in the final minutes when up 3-0 in both of our 1st two games. That's why we are not in because of that loss of focus late. I thought we played very well most of the weekend considering it was about their 5-6th time ever playing together as a group. We'll survive and try to fix issues on whoever we play next.

Was Albion Academy the only 2001 USSDA team that did the CRL play-in? I know the Academy completed their season last month and most 2001 players won't be back in till 2017/2018 season, but was curious if they will be back into the CRL/SCDSL/CSL league.

It looks like most of the 2001 CRL accepted teams (except Surf and West Coast) are playing CSL this year. I think this is a change from last year where most of the teams played SCDSL. Any thoughts as to why?

I think that SCDSL is a little more academy club heavy, so I suspect this will be the case throughout. I was a bit surprised to see academy teams playing their own age groups in the regular leagues, seems like it would be quite a step down from ussda to be playing with us. What does it say about the program if they don't win? They should be far superior based on the program, set up, extra training, etc. I was very surprised to see SB and Brea not make it, I know the kids on SB were exceptional players.

Tfa-fcla and ac brea both not moving on big surprise to me.
it would be interesting to know how the birth year change affected these teams. does any know or want to comment on this. my bet would be that the change affected the roster. I think most teams have a lot to gel and work thru to establish some cohesiveness to the newly formed teams and the end of the league year may look very different than the beginning of the summer.

it would be interesting to know how the birth year change affected these teams. does any know or want to comment on this. my bet would be that the change affected the roster. I think most teams have a lot to gel and work thru to establish some cohesiveness to the newly formed teams and the end of the league year may look very different than the beginning of the summer.

I feel ac brea played well for the most part we were able to move the ball well and control everygame we played in for the most part. We do have some work to do and fine tuning as well to get to where we need to be. I honestly think we can compete with the top teams out there but in reality most of the top teams will give each other fits on any given day and can pull out a win over each other.

I think that SCDSL is a little more academy club heavy, so I suspect this will be the case throughout. I was a bit surprised to see academy teams playing their own age groups in the regular leagues, seems like it would be quite a step down from ussda to be playing with us. What does it say about the program if they don't win? They should be far superior based on the program, set up, extra training, etc. I was very surprised to see SB and Brea not make it, I know the kids on SB were exceptional players.
It did not show on the results but SB was the most challenging team we faced in the play in. Hats off to La Esperanza for beating SB and FCGS.

Our stats vs Albion:

SoccerMeter Game Data

AC Brea 01 Vs Albion SC 01 Aca -Hou
0 Goals 2
11 Shots 13
32:20 Time of Possession 23:56
57% Time of Possession % 43%
498 First Touches 352
279 Passes 134
56% Pass Completion % 38%
36 Number of Pass Strings 22
4.6 Average Pass String Length 3.4
8 Longest Pass String 5

Scoring Summary
AC Brea 01 0
Albion SC 01 Aca -Hou 2
None
54' Pk (0 pass buildup)
68' (1 pass buildup)
Settings
Age U-16
Half Duration 40 minutes
Inactivity Timeout 10 seconds
Minimum Passes in Pass String 3 passes

Albion Academy was not levels above the Regular club teams. Definitely a quality team, however not superior. They would not fair well at 2000. They should be playing 2001.

I am not saying they were, but honestly shouldn't they be? They have come from the elite environment of the ussda, they should easily be able to overcome regular club teams. I have to say, I was lucky enough to be walking by when the Albion and Rebels coaches nearly came to blows, with the Albion kids trying to get their coach to back off.

I think there will be a lot of changes over time, as teams are learning to play together. We got better as the weekend went along, but that is expected from teams like ours that were playing in our first real games together ever. I suspect a lot of teams were in the same spot.

Was Albion Academy the only 2001 USSDA team that did the CRL play-in? I know the Academy completed their season last month and most 2001 players won't be back in till 2017/2018 season, but was curious if they will be back into the CRL/SCDSL/CSL league.

Albion and Santa Barbara only have Dev (04,03,02) teams for 16-17 ...DA season

If those 01' players from the 2015-16 DA season from those teams want to continue with those clubs they will be back in CRL/SCDSL/CSL leagues.

For 17-18 will have to see?

You are right, I forgot about that. With that in mind, they should be way ahead as most teams are just learning to play together.

I expect Santa Barbara will get better throughout the year. Their 3 best players are new recruits from Ghana (very talented individuals) who didn't play on the academy team. Having said that, it is disappointing that the academy players weren't at a higher level.

Back