Cowbells and grabbing the ball after a score....

46n2

SILVER ELITE
Two things that bug the sh%t out of me. My DD can score , but you don't see me screaming at her to grab the ball out of the net like my BB teammates parents do?
Or the cowbell, what the heck is going on here.......
Is it just a younger's thing where parents tend to be a bit louder than at a older's game.
Is it a boy vs girl thing?
Is it the Man ,Women and now IT (gender appropriation) thing.
I don't remember Club soccer being as loud as it is now.
I love Soccer but I'm starting to get embarrassed for some parents

Two things that bug the sh%t out of me. My DD can score , but you don't see me screaming at her to grab the ball out of the net like my BB teammates parents do?
Or the cowbell, what the heck is going on here.......
Is it just a younger's thing where parents tend to be a bit louder than at a older's game.
Is it a boy vs girl thing?
Is it the Man ,Women and now IT (gender appropriation) thing.
I don't remember Club soccer being as loud as it is now.
I love Soccer but I'm starting to get embarrassed for some parents
I don't know how it was years ago, but I do know that it gets better as the kids get older. The parent sidelines on youngers games are the worst. I think it comes from most parents not having seen any youth soccer beyond their kids' games. It skews your perspective and it takes a while to come to reality. And I'd bet that most of those really loud crazy parents are watching their first child go through soccer. Parents who've been through it once with one kid already are much much more chill.

They only grab the ball if the team that scored is behind or tied. Its a sign of wanting to compete and haven't given up.

Cowbell? Got me????

Youngers parents are much, much louder than olders. I've found the noise and intensity of parents peak around U12~13 for boys. If the kid is still playing U14+, then the parents have started to chill.

By the time U16+ comes around, parents don't make every game and much more laid back on the side line. Only handful insist on sitting at the center line, just over into the opponents side to irritate the other team. Even then, most parents' don't give a $hit factor is much higher...

I have youngers and I have to admit that I am not looking forward to when they become olders and the "dont give a $hit factor" increases. Passion for the sport...that's why I enjoy watching international soccer over American baseball.

I have youngers and I have to admit that I am not looking forward to when they become olders and the "dont give a $hit factor" increases. Passion for the sport...that's why I enjoy watching international soccer over American baseball.

Passion has nothing to do with parents acting like asshats. You can care without acting foolish. Too many parents at younger ages scream and parent-coach at little Johnny and Jennie. Yes it’s much better at the olders, but those parents can be assholes too.

How about the kids who act like they never have scored before or the teams who act like they won the world cup after a score during their first league game?

I love watching a kid who scores over and over again with little to no emotion and a quite sideline. Business as usual for a true assassin . Nothing new to see here.

I don't know how it was years ago, but I do know that it gets better as the kids get older. The parent sidelines on youngers games are the worst. I think it comes from most parents not having seen any youth soccer beyond their kids' games. It skews your perspective and it takes a while to come to reality. And I'd bet that most of those really loud crazy parents are watching their first child go through soccer. Parents who've been through it once with one kid already are much much more chill.
I don't know how anyone could here the cowbell with the Mexican music blasting at Silver lakes this past weekend.

I love watching a kid who scores over and over again with little to no emotion and a quite sideline. Business as usual for a true assassin . Nothing new to see here.[/QUOTE]

Love this

How about the kids who act like they never have scored before or the teams who act like they won the world cup after a score during their first league game?

I love watching a kid who scores over and over again with little to no emotion and a quite sideline. Business as usual for a true assassin . Nothing new to see here.
I don't mind kids celebrating, they are just imitating the pros.
Barry Sanders and Earl Campbell as I recall didn't celebrate too much after a score.

My cowbell story - when my son was playing at UC Davis, the Big West canceled its rule prohibiting artificial noise makers at conference games. The mother of one of the players found a website that sold cheap little cowbells, so she bought about a couple dozen (note- it's an ag school ("AGGIES") and the soccer field is about 1/4 mile from the campus cow barns). She would hand them out before the game and pick them up after. One year, she was going to miss the game at Sac State so she gave me the box at the end of the preceding game, knowing I would be there.

Sac State that year was a "soccer associate" member of the Big West, added to round out the BW men's play to 8 teams, and they played most of their sports in Big Sky Conference. When I got to the ticket table outside the stadium, I discovered the Big Sky Conference did not permit artificial noisemakers. The security guy said that he would not make me take them back to my car, but that they should stay in the box.

However, the fan promotion that night was vuvuzelas in Sac State colors. As soon as the first toot came out of one of those horns, Aggie player parents were grabbing cowbells and ringing up a storm.

I do not mind the kids celebrating at all, its the parents I was bringing up. My older used to celebrate but when she turned 13 it all stopped, unless it is a game changing situation, my younger loves the dybala....its the parents running and screaming " Grab the ball grab the ball that just kinda bugs me , along with noise makers, its like they never saw a ball hit the net before? I think Im just getting cranky in my old age ;)

What's wrong with telling a kid to get the ball from the net if they are down a goal with 5 minutes to play? I don't see kids grabbing the ball from the net if they are up.

At some point, kids need to learn a little gamesmanship. It might be "bush league" to kick a ball out as far as possible when winning by a goal with 2 minutes left. It might be bad to foul a kid at midfield who might beat you on a breakaway. It might be against the rules to grab a hold of a jersey on a scrum during a corner kick.
If grabbing the ball out of the back of the goal when down with a few minutes left is the worst thing you see on a Saturday youth game, you're in good shape.

Forgive me..I am old and dumb (great combination..highly recommend it btw)

But are you talking about actual cowbells? At Ulittle games? That would be horrible to listen to. Do parents really bring noisemakers to these games?

It’s bad enough to hear that one dad screaming at his kid as if they purposely made a bad play or gave up a goal..but to contend with noisemakers of any kind would be brutal.

What's wrong with telling a kid to get the ball from the net if they are down a goal with 5 minutes to play? I don't see kids grabbing the ball from the net if they are up.
I’ve seen kids grab the ball from the back of the net when they are up and then promptly boot it to another field to waste time. Btw never seen a card given for this.

understood totally, Im more talking about being up a few goals and grabbing the ball and parading thru the field, kissing it , etc.......
there's nothing wrong with playing with urgency.... trying to come from behind.
At some point, kids need to learn a little gamesmanship. It might be "bush league" to kick a ball out as far as possible when winning by a goal with 2 minutes left. It might be bad to foul a kid at midfield who might beat you on a breakaway. It might be against the rules to grab a hold of a jersey on a scrum during a corner kick.
If grabbing the ball out of the back of the goal when down with a few minutes left is the worst thing you see on a Saturday youth game, you're in good shape.
When you play a certain team out of Chino that likes to kick the ball out of bounds when their up by a goal, it just gets a bit old.......

Back