College Ranking Lists - Forbes, US News and thoughts

I agree clearly the rankings are not scientific. I mean Chaoman #1? Come on.
The data for this research poll is clearly flawed, how is ASU not on the list????

Last edited:

Based on my previous days as a scientific researcher, I find it a travesty that ASU is not on this list!

Perennial powerhouse, Heisman winning, hall of fame level in fun in the suno_O

15_reasons_why_asu_parties_harder_than_your_school.jpg

At $12,836 tuition & books in-state, UCLA is one of the best bang for your buck choices if you can get in.

I agree with you it is a great school but trying to get on the soccer field in the next 3 years is going to be pretty tough. It's going to be like the Hunger Games there with the talent that they have lined up.

Perennial powerhouse, Heisman winning, hall of fame level in fun in the suno_O

15_reasons_why_asu_parties_harder_than_your_school.jpg

Will they make it to Playboy's top 10 party school list this year? It comes out every September, usually along with a photo spread titled "The Girls of <some conference>.

Oh, wait - Playboy doesn't do nudes any more. Will they still do party schools?

I agree with you it is a great school but trying to get on the soccer field in the next 3 years is going to be pretty tough. It's going to be like the Hunger Games there with the talent that they have lined up.

Yes I know a girl who passed on the opportunity to play there because she didn't want to be in that pressure cooker.

Yes I know a girl who passed on the opportunity to play there because she didn't want to be in that pressure cooker.

That doesn't surprise me. It's a lot easier to be a big fish in a small pond than a shark in the ocean. It takes a confident kid to want to go there or to Stanford knowing that you are in a knife fight with other YNT talent to maybe get some PT. They like to get their best 11 on the field and maybe another 4-6 field players get time and the keepers play 99% of the minutes basically unless it is a blowout. It can be humbling. On the flip side if a player can play significant minutes there they can play anywhere.

Just a sanity check here....

Isn't playing in college really about getting a great education? If soccer gets a player into a college that otherwise would not have, or get an offset towards tuition costs, vast majority of the objectives are met - isn't that right?

Playing time is nice but who really cares if one can get into top 20 university or places like Cal, UCLA? The fact that they collect trophy players is, it is what it is....

Just a sanity check here....

Isn't playing in college really about getting a great education? If soccer gets a player into a college that otherwise would not have, or get an offset towards tuition costs, vast majority of the objectives are met - isn't that right?

Playing time is nice but who really cares if one can get into top 20 university or places like Cal, UCLA? The fact that they collect trophy players is, it is what it is....

Your sanity/reality may not be the same of others.......(relative perspective) discussion/decision.

Your sanity/reality may not be the same of others.......(relative perspective) discussion/decision.

Ok, what would the purpose of college be? We're not talking about football or basketball where there is a real path to pros....

If anything, college soccer ruins players for professional soccer so where you going with your statement?

Ok, what would the purpose of college be? We're not talking about football or basketball where there is a real path to pros....

If anything, college soccer ruins players for professional soccer so where you going with your statement?

Mirage- I preface my response to note that I/we are talking about small circles.....so don't misconstrue what I'm conveying by not referencing the context of the discussion in this thread, specifically to Gkrent/Maps prior post.

And so.....Yes, it's awesome that kids can use a sport to gain access to attend and often pay for a college education (well discussed on this forum). And yes......we are not talking about men's football, basketball where playing pro equates to a lucrative & sustainable career. We're (ok, I) discussing women's soccer and Unfortuntely, less than a dozen of the most talented US female citizens are able to meaningfully monetize on thru the game of soccer.

So....to your question of who cares if u soccer gets you into a top school but sitting on the bench?? - ask your dd that question.....I've got a $100 on it that she will not. If you are fortunate enough to have a kid who's being recruited by a top tier university, the choice is MUCH MORE complex than just "Susie, take the offer.... it's a good school".....Chances are you'll be getting the call, "daddy, I'm miserable....I want to transfer to X or Y school".

It really seams to go back to a simple theme that i continually observe.....Just because you can, doesn't mean you (your kid) should. Just because you can be a "preferred" bench warmer at Ucla, duke, ND etc....doesn't mean you should - It is all completely relative.

Last edited:
Often the posters, forget that this is not only women's soccer forum. There is nothing on the title of this thread that say for dd's. Its about school rankings and kids getting into college.

My comments are for both genders and no, I do not have dd playing. I have a son playing.

Its pretty bad when the assumption is almost always dd is the subject.

As for getting calls for being miserable bench warmer, I say get over it and just focus on education. If you don't like it, quit and go on. That's why I said its about getting a great education. Should never pick the college for soccer. It should be picked for education and see how soccer fits. Any scholarship due to athletics need to be considered as windfall, and not necessity.

Btw, I agree that if the top 20 and UCLA, Cal and alike don't fit your kid's ambitions or educational focus, just because the kid has the grades for it, doesn't mean that you should. But I say that from educational perspective and not soccer.

Soccer is just a mean to the end, and not the end itself....

Often the posters, forget that this is not only women's soccer forum. There is nothing on the title of this thread that say for dd's. Its about school rankings and kids getting into college.

My comments are for both genders and no, I do not have dd playing. I have a son playing.

As for getting calls for being miserable bench warmer, I say get over it and just focus on education. If you don't like it, quit and go on. That's why I said its about getting a great education. Should never pick the college for soccer. It should be picked for education and see how soccer fits. Any scholarship due to athletics need to be considered as windfall, and not necessity.

Btw, I agree that if the top 20 and UCLA, Cal and alike don't fit your kid's ambitions or educational focus, just because the kid has the grades for it, doesn't mean that you should. But I say that from educational perspective and not soccer.

It would have been much easier, if you posted you were referring to a male player earlier.

You're preaching to the choir my friend.....the prescription you prescribe was the filter in my kids' decision to attend/play college soccer (a big 3, world renown academic institution in the NE).....So believe me when I say - I get it.

Unfortunately for you (or your son) he chose to play a sport that doesn't afford the same opportunities in the US as American football.

You see Mirage, sports has not only benefitted my kid, but has completely changed the trajectory of my long (or more accurately - large) family line and afforded a college education (a meal ticket) by playing sports (PAC-12, MWC, WAC, BIG-10 conferences) when without sports would not have been....so again, believe me when I say - I get it.

I guess my point is you're dummifying a very complex discussion with many variables that assist in making a college decision. For females, there is an added emotional element that we parents of dd's have to consider/navigate (think...sitting on bench/emotions/hormones etc) that u don't have to.

Best of luck to u/your son on the journey. If things don't work out with soccer, have him switch now to lacrosse, field hockey or crew (the academic institutions love those players);)

Last edited:
You're preaching to the choir my friend.....the prescription you prescribe was the filter in my kids' decision to attend/play college soccer (a big 3, world renown academic institution in the NE).....So believe me when I say - I get it.

Unfortunately for you (or your son) he chose to play a sport that doesn't afford the same opportunities in the US as does as American football.

You see Mirage, sports has is not only benefitting my kid, but has completely changed the trajectory of my long (or more accurately - large) family line and afforded a college education (a meal ticket) to attend/play sports (PAC-12, MWC, WAC, BIG-10 conferences) when without sports would not have been....so again, believe me when I say - I get it.

I guess my point is you're dummifying a very complex discussion with many variables that assist in making a college decision. For females, there is an added emotional element that we parents of dd's have to consider/navigate (think...sitting on bench/emotions/hormones etc) that u don't have to.

Best of luck to u/your son on the journey. If things don't work out with soccer, have him switch now to lacrosse, field hockey or crew (the academic institutions love those players);)

ZD you should write a book (if you haven't already). Great post!!

... Unfortunately for you (or your son) he chose to play a sport that doesn't afford the same opportunities in the US as does as American football....

My kid chose the right sport for him. I thought he would have picked baseball, as he was one the best middle infielder on the travel ball circuit in socal during 11U to 13U. All of suddenly he quit baseball and focused on soccer (he had been playing club since U10). He took no interest in football but likes basketball. Unfortunately he knew 6' would be the ceiling, given family gene pool. He still plays for fun.

Having said that, he is much further along soccer path than if he had chosen football or basketball so we don't view it as "unfortunate" choice. I believe kids will pick the sport that most suits them, if you allow them to choose. In my kids case, baseball was too slow for him and got board playing it, regardless of his abilities. He had no passion for it.

...I guess my point is you're dummifying a very complex discussion with many variables that assist in making a college decision.....

Of course it's dummied down for sake of forum discussion. There are lots of individual specific variables that goes into the decision. That's why I usually don't post specific stuff and stick with generality that applies to the most.

Thanks for the luck. I think we all need as much as we can get along this journey. While things are looking good for my kid, but you never know what can trip things up in the whole recruiting-application-acceptance process, especially at these high academic institutions.

My kid chose the right sport for him. I thought he would have picked baseball, as he was one the best middle infielder on the travel ball circuit in socal during 11U to 13U. All of suddenly he quit baseball and focused on soccer (he had been playing club since U10). He took no interest in football but likes basketball. Unfortunately he knew 6' would be the ceiling, given family gene pool. He still plays for fun.

Having said that, he is much further along soccer path than if he had chosen football or basketball so we don't view it as "unfortunate" choice. I believe kids will pick the sport that most suits them, if you allow them to choose. In my kids case, baseball was too slow for him and got board playing it, regardless of his abilities. He had no passion for it.

Of course it's dummied down for sake of forum discussion. There are lots of individual specific variables that goes into the decision. That's why I usually don't post specific stuff and stick with generality that applies to the most.

Thanks for the luck. I think we all need as much as we can get along this journey. While things are looking good for my kid, but you never know what can trip things up in the whole recruiting-application-acceptance process, especially at these high academic institutions.

It's all good Mirage. Just be glad you're in the greatest country in the world that allows you to face bold decisions/problems that millions would love (and die) for the opprotunity to have.:)

Last edited:
Mirage- I preface my response to note that I/we are talking about small circles.....so don't misconstrue what I'm conveying by not referencing the context of the discussion in this thread, specifically to Gkrent/Maps prior post.

And so.....Yes, it's awesome that kids can use a sport to gain access to attend and often pay for a college education (well discussed on this forum). And yes......we are not talking about men's football, basketball where playing pro equates to a lucrative & sustainable career. We're (ok, I) discussing women's soccer and Unfortuntely, less than a dozen of the most talented US female citizens are able to meaningfully monetize on thru the game of soccer.

So....to your question of who cares if u soccer gets you into a top school but sitting on the bench?? - ask your dd that question.....I've got a $100 on it that she will not. If you are fortunate enough to have a kid who's being recruited by a top tier university, the choice is MUCH MORE complex than just "Susie, take the offer.... it's a good school".....Chances are you'll be getting the call, "daddy, I'm miserable....I want to transfer to X or Y school".

It really seams to go back to a simple theme that i continually observe.....Just because you can, doesn't mean you (your kid) should. Just because you can be a "preferred" bench warmer at Ucla, duke, ND etc....doesn't mean you should - It is all completely relative.
"Dont get too caught up in all the lights"
A wise man, and ex poster on this site (oxymoron?) told me when my kid was being recruited.
Walk around campus and see how the kids there interact with you, as an older guy or gal just strolling around.
Think about your kid there, in among them, and how you've raised them to represent themselves.
Some schools I can walk from one end to the other without anyone even making eye contact, while at other schools almost every kid that walks by, says hello, and smiles.
Its education to me.

Then again, it may just be how scary I looked on a particular day.

Back