College Entrance Scam includes former Yale Women's Soccer Coach

Btw, I can tell you’re scared... the house of lies you’ve built is collapsing...

House of lies? Chica you clearly have no clue as to who I am but let me tell you. What you aspire to I already have. And I am far from scared of you. I am married to a woman that is what you hope to be when you grow up and I done much more that you can ever hope to do.

Sounds like you have some penis envy.

House of lies? Chica you clearly have no clue as to who I am but let me tell you. What you aspire to I already have. And I am far from scared of you. I am married to a woman that is what you hope to be when you grow up and I done much more that you can ever hope to do.

There's the MAP we all know and love to laugh at.
Libs love to get personal when they are losing the argument.

In that case, if you're such a self-made man and so successful, first off, good for you! We need more like that. But then, isn't that proof that we don't need affirmative action? I mean, unless you couldn't have done it without a lower standard?

@LBSoccer was complaining about how even though his kid busted his ass, people still think he got in because of affirmative action - well, we can solve that stigma. Get RID of affirmative action. Stop asking for handouts. If you want to support inner city kids, this is a free country, set up a non-profit and use your own money, don't force the rest of them into it.

All I know is, on this thread, you're the only one who's been outrageously racist and your hatred for white people is beyond evident. And now your penis-envy comment... guess you hate women too? are you implying women can't be smart? I thought liberals were FOR women?

Btw, not impressed. If what you have is so great, why you so bitter and hateful? No thank you.

I don’t think he gets it (Glen).... his college probably let him slide when he missed these problems on the SAT. Glen, even using your numbers, it doesn’t help your case. Maybe this will help...

Glen, I have 100 pieces of fruit. 60 are apples, 20 are oranges, and 20 are bananas. If you ask me to pick 10 pieces of fruit and I pick 6 apples, 2 oranges, and 2 banana, is that a fair representative sample? Or am showing a preference for apples?

Correct answer: it is a fair representative sample. Both groups are composed of 60% apples, 20% oranges, 20% bananas.

Let’s try this again... but this time let’s use toy trains... never mind... You're right, we need affirmative action, how would you ever survive?

God, you're dumb - painfully dumb. I don't like affirmative action at all, which is why sports (if you can call sailing a sport) shouldn't be used as a back door for otherwise unqualified (mostly white people) to get into elite institutions. And somehow you spun that into me claiming that we need affirmative action?

If you take away affirmative action policies at elite institutions, whites are most negatively impacted because they are forced to compete head to head with Asians/Indians on academic merit. All races are negatively impacted (except Asians/Indians), but whites are impacted the most. There is no better example of that than the elimination of affirmative action in California in 1996 and the current student population at our best schools. Did African Americans and Hispanics lose spots? Yes. But whites lost far more.

If you take away sports programs at Ivy League schools and admit based on academic merit, whites won't get 65 percent of those spots on academic merit. Asians/Indians would take many of those spots, along with eating up spots from other minority groups. So yes, sports work as an affirmative action for white kids at elite schools because it avoids them competing on a level academic playing field with certain more qualified minority students.

BTW - the article said 65 percent of ivy league athletes are white and 79% in the little ivys, not 60 percent. The number is even in the subtitle - I'm not sure why you couldn't get that right. So to answer your question, picking 6.5 apples or 7.9 apples is not a representative sample out of 60 apples. That would be an over-representative sample, which is the article's point.

BTW - the article said 65 percent of ivy league athletes are white and 79% in the little ivys, not 60 percent. The number is even in the subtitle - I'm not sure why you couldn't get that right. So to answer your question, picking 6.5 apples or 7.9 apples is not a representative sample out of 60 apples. That would be an over-representative sample, which is the article's point.

Not if minorities aren’t playing/applying for those sports... you need to compare to minority applications/tryouts for those sports, not just total population.

Not if minorities aren’t playing/applying for those sports... you need to compare to minority applications/tryouts for those sports, not just total population.

Why? What do sports (or race) have to do with academic merit? It's not a very compelling argument to say that less academically qualified white students or minority students should be able to take spots from more qualified Asians/Indians students just because Asian/Indians don't invest their time or money in sports. Sports don't have anything to do with academic merit. Picking admissions factors that have nothing to do with academic merit, but that disproportionately favor certain racial or socioeconomic demographics (in this case wealthy/whites), should be criticized just as much as affirmative action based on race. The answer is not to tell Asian/Indians to take up sailing. The answer is for white kids to drop the anchor and pick up a freakin' book.

Why? What do sports (or race) have to do with academic merit? It's not a very compelling argument to say that less academically qualified white students or minority students should be able to take spots from more qualified Asians/Indians students just because Asian/Indians don't invest their time or money in sports. Sports don't have anything to do with academic merit. Picking admissions factors that have nothing to do with academic merit, but that disproportionately favor certain racial or socioeconomic demographics (in this case wealthy/whites), should be criticized just as much as affirmative action based on race. The answer is not to tell Asian/Indians to take up sailing. The answer is for white kids to drop the anchor and pick up a freakin' book.

In “David,” Malcom Gladwell makes the point that in every college there is a bottom 15%. There are kids that thought they would go to college and succeed in the classroom, but for whatever reason they don’t. He says that colleges try to construct a student body where these 15% have something else they can be proud of to keep them from jumping off roofs. Athletic or other special abilities (or being rich and not really needing college) can be this something else. I don’t think that affirmative action is the right name for it because the goal is different from the goal of affirmative action, but I am not sure that it is entirely unreasonable for college admissions officers to take special abilities or circumstances into account. I just wish that colleges would be more transparent about how they do what they do because it might help families be more realistic about the college application process.

upload_2019-5-22_22-5-13.gif

Dude, you’re so all over the place... it sounds like we both agree that we should just have the same standard and not show any preference by race and/or income. Everyone should compete by the same set of rules. Since everyone’s different some will have to work harder at some things than others. We agree, right?

Regarding sports though - you’re saying that allowing lower grades for athletes is unfair - at least that’s what I think you’re saying... or that this unfairly helps white kids. The part about giving slack for lower grades for athletes... well, I can see reasons for both, but you’re right athletes should be generally held to the same standard.

Regarding certain sports unfairly helping whites, that is false - keyword "Unfairly". Whites may be benefitting from this currently, but it doesn’t mean it gives an unfair advantage. The reason is because nothing is preventing any race from participating. Just because certain groups choose not to participate in a sport, doesn’t mean it shouldn’t exist. Just because certain races may naturally be more genetically predisposed to be better (or at least appear that way) does not mean we shouldn’t have that sport, nor support it. Take basketball and football, both predominately black sports. Should we scrap the sport or force affirmative action? Of course not. Should we give white kids trying out for basketball an extra 6 inch leeway on their vertical just so we can get back to 60-20-20 race split? Of course not.

Set the standard, make it a fair competition, leave politics out of it, and it’s up to the families and kids to get them there. You want to make the sailing team? Learn how to sail, get good at it and get good grades.

Oh that’s right, you can only read things that are filtered through your liberal blinders...

What are you afraid of? How about read it and decide for yourself if there’s any truth to it? Or even better, before you make judgement look at other sources too...
I do read... quite a lot actually. Hence my ability to know/understand what is/is not propoganda. You have no idea who I am so to paint me as a "liberal" (whatever that means) and so easily dismiss shows who's actually blind.

I do read... quite a lot actually. Hence my ability to know/understand what is/is not propoganda. You have no idea who I am so to paint me as a "liberal" (whatever that means) and so easily dismiss shows who's actually blind.

Ok, I’m open to this discussion... if you claim the Fox article was loaded with propaganda, please show me what part of the article was propaganda compared to the NBC version or whichever source you prefer...

I mean, you quickly dismissed the source, you must’ve read it, no? Or biased?

Ok, I’m open to this discussion... if you claim the Fox article was loaded with propaganda, please show me what part of the article was propaganda compared to the NBC version or whichever source you prefer...

I mean, you quickly dismissed the source, you must’ve read it, no? Or biased?

Did you read them? The two article links that you posted from Fox News and NBC News are sourced from the exact same AP article. Except, NBC posted the entire AP article in full. NBC News neither wrote the article or selectively edited it. Fox News, on the other hand, deleted from the AP article the very reasons why certain lawmakers are seeking additional health care funding. There was no journalistic reason to remove that information from the article. It was accurate and relevant.

If you are getting your news from Fox News, or for that matter MSNBC, you are just listening to an echo chamber.

Did you read them? The two article links that you posted from Fox News and NBC News are sourced from the exact same AP article. Except, NBC posted the entire AP article in full. NBC News neither wrote the article or selectively edited it. Fox News, on the other hand, deleted from the AP article the very reasons why certain lawmakers are seeking additional health care funding. There was no journalistic reason to remove that information from the article. It was accurate and relevant.

If you are getting your news from Fox News, or for that matter MSNBC, you are just listening to an echo chamber.

Umm... if you read both, Fox basically stripped out the propaganda and kept it to the facts. The AP writer framed the story around a poor grandma who wouldn’t get her treatment without this funding. That’s called emotional manipulation and clear bias. If it were a “fair/honest” article sure, it could’ve brought up the Grandma’s story, but at the same time, the fact that she came into country illegally by choice and has never paid a dime into Medicare and has already used xx dollars paid by citizens (you and I) for healthcare. That’s not propaganda, that’s fact. At the same time, they need to show on avg how much each citizen already gets deducted from their paycheck for Medicare and that this bill covering illegal immigrants is going to mean how much more is going to be deducted from everyone’s paychecks. That would be a fair article. You can’t just tell the partial truth.

At the end of the day, to be honest, I’m not even that much against it... it will make my Medicare taxes go up, more than others due to income, but what am I gonna say, let the bitch die? Of course not.

But, I’m more concerned about the implications of this law. It now gives an even greater incentive for illegals to come to California - free healthcare - in the most expensive state for healthcare, btw. And so with no border controls and a state government that won’t deport them... the cost is bound to grow exponentially. Like I said before, for taxpayers, how many more illegals do you want to support until it’s too much? The big winners here are the hospitals and doctors - corporations and the wealthy. They now get paid whereas before the illegals would just not pay their bills or go to the ER, not fair to the doctors either. So long as Californians turn a blind eye to illegal immigration, they should be held responsible for taking care of them.

If we enforce our borders, we can have better control of this expense.

opening further a can of worms, but...(what has this thread turned into!!?? :) ) in Canada and in Mexico, voters are required to show picture ID.
Yeah, but does Canada have a history of suppressing minority votes by closing the offices where minorities can get IDs, like in Alabama where they closed DMVs in predominantly black neighborhoods a few years back?

Back