Coaches Be Threatening!!!

Can a coach at the club level (i.e. not Academy) tell parents and players that they will NOT release their kid from the club at this point?

SCDSL is over, and it seems to me I hear this frequently from parents, although, in the end, most parents and players get their release.

What EXACTLY is the rule? And why do clubs use this tactic so much if its just hot air?!

Can a coach at the club level (i.e. not Academy) tell parents and players that they will NOT release their kid from the club at this point?

SCDSL is over, and it seems to me I hear this frequently from parents, although, in the end, most parents and players get their release.

What EXACTLY is the rule? And why do clubs use this tactic so much if its just hot air?!

he's full of hot air, a parent can request the transfer at ANY time. Your kid may be cup tied however, you can still transfer. In CSL it's the first Monday after Thanksgiving, right around the corner....AND, if you're going to a CSL team, a SCDSL player can transfer at ANY time. If the current team is playing in a Thanksgiving Tourney, it would be best to finish the commitment and then move.

Much appreciated Overlap.
I have zero reason to doubt you, but is this an actual rule or based on your experiences?
Thanks for responding—sometimes responses are a bit brutal around here :D

Cal South Rule 1.5.5.2

1.5.5.2 The Player Pass is the express property of Cal South. Any person who withholds a Player Pass will be subjected to immediate suspension by the appropriate District Commissioner. Such suspension shall remain in force until the Cal South Youth Member Player Pass is surrendered to the District Commissioner or Certified League Registrar.

Here is the SCDSL rule.

Players committing to play for a SCDSL member team will commit to that team for the “season”. The “season” is defined as August 1st through State or National Cup for that player’s team. State/National Cup competition shall be defined as any local, regional or national USYS Competition. Players will not be able to transfer to another SCDSL team unless the DOC’s from both clubs have approved the transfer. Transfers from a SCDSL team to a team participating in another league other than the SCDSL may be contested and denied in accordance to the Cal South transfer rules. Players transferring from a non-SCDSL team to a SCDSL team, may be contested by the outgoing club, in accordance to the Cal South transfer rules. Players may transfer to a team within the same club in accordance to Cal South transfer rules at any time. The SCDSL Transfer Rule is strictly enforced and all member clubs are expected to follow the rule as it is intended.

The transfer rule that the SCDSL adopted is enforceable at the league level. The new Cal South Transfer Rule (effective 8/1/14) now requires DOC approval from both clubs on the release and transfer, no matter what league the player participates in. It also includes an appeal process, through Cal South, if the outgoing DOC refuses the player release. However, for SCDSL purposes, clubs that disregard the SCDSL rule are undermining the spirit of the league, and will be subject to board and Technical Committee review, and potential non-renewal for the following season. Even if an appeal is upheld through Cal South and the player is allowed to release from a SCDSL team, the incoming SCDSL club is expected to obtain the required approval from the outgoing DOC per the SCDSL Transfer Rule. If the outgoing DOC denies the transfer then the incoming club cannot register the player via a transfer.

Specifically, a player release (drop) from any SCDSL team and subsequent signing at any time prior to the end of State/National Cup competition, as defined above, by another SCDSL team, is considered a transfer and will be considered a violation of the SCDSL rule as it is intended.

The club can deny your release request and you can appeal it for a fee but most likely it will be denied anyways.
The rule has become so harsh. It use to be pretty standard for movement after Thanksgiving.

Do you have personal experience or is this a hunch? I can think of several senarios were it would be in the best interest of the player for him/her to switch teams such as a lack of playing time, a team bully, cannot make practices etc. Glad to see CalSouth has the best interest of kids in mind(sacrasim).

So fitting

????

If you want to walk, walk. If the coach/manager/registrar refuses to yield the documents, read them rule 1.5.5.2 above. If they still won't cooperate, call the District Commissioner and get them suspended.

http://www.calsouth.com/en/board/

Individual leagues may have rules that inhibit playing for a time after signing with another team in that league, but Cal South is not rsponsible for enforcing those rules where they conflict with, or are more strict than, Cal South rules.

What it comes down to is that if you want your ID that's easy and you can guest play for other teams before state cup, but on the flip side you are stuck on team you are presently at until both DOC are willing to allow the transfer. Also you will be stuck in your present team for State Cup, so just state put until after State Cup which start the last weekend of the Month of January. You can also go to your club register and pay for a new ID if you want it that bad.

If your new team wants you they will get new card depending upon the league. The old club needs to release and transfer you. The release is usually easy the transfer part might become an issue but with proper wording and communication is totally doable. Use common sense, be honest with your club as to why and most of not all will grant the transfer. Pay attention to the release window and follow procedures and your set.

The rule has become so harsh. It use to be pretty standard for movement after Thanksgiving.

Do you have personal experience or is this a hunch? I can think of several senarios were it would be in the best interest of the player for him/her to switch teams such as a lack of playing time, a team bully cannot make practices etc. Glad to see CalSouth has the best interest of kids in mind(sacrasim

Do you have personal experience or is this a hunch? I can think of several senarios were it would be in the best interest of the player for him/her to switch teams such as a lack of playing time, a team bully, cannot make practices etc. Glad to see CalSouth has the best interest of kids in mind(sacrasim).

Team bully can ruin the whole experience. Not much can be done about it if their parents have coaches ear also.

I have personal experience. My son was in 8th grade. His coach was going to be an assistant coach for high school. In my experience kids continue to play & practice till state cup. Well at the last game of the season in November the coach told the team he will see them in 3 months for state cup. Keep in mind these kids aren't in high school. That didn't sit well with me and we left to find another team that will continue to practice and play during those 3 months. the team he was practicing with invited him to play national cup and the old club refused to release my son. Cal south denied me the release they gave me the option to appeal it for $100. Keep in mind and appeal doesn't guarantee an approval. I decided it wasn't worth it just to go to national cup and just let it go.

However early this year with a different club my son's team was not going to state cup and we requetsed a releas so he can play national cup with another team and he was approved.

So it really depends on the club.

Don't ask for a transfer. Just request a RELEASE plain and simple. Simply say you don't know where you are going and undecided

My daughters 07 team had a player approach the coach and team manager with 3 games left to play and balance of about $150.
She said "We are quitting as of now. If you don't give us her card right now, we won't be paying the money we owe."
Clubs aren't always the one's acting a bit silly.
Team had some trouble winning games this year, but I think the coaching was good. This parent was mad that the coach subbed her daughter off once in a while for a slightly weaker player.

The club can deny your release request and you can appeal it for a fee but most likely it will be denied anyways.
I have personal experience. My son was in 8th grade. His coach was going to be an assistant coach for high school. In my experience kids continue to play & practice till state cup. Well at the last game of the season in November the coach told the team he will see them in 3 months for state cup. Keep in mind these kids aren't in high school. That didn't sit well with me and we left to find another team that will continue to practice and play during those 3 months. the team he was practicing with invited him to play national cup and the old club refused to release my son. Cal south denied me the release they gave me the option to appeal it for $100. Keep in mind and appeal doesn't guarantee an approval. I decided it wasn't worth it just to go to national cup and just let it go.

However early this year with a different club my son's team was not going to state cup and we requetsed a releas so he can play national cup with another team and he was approved.

So it really depends on the club.
So you don't know that an appeal will most likely be denied because you have never filed an appeal. There are some real jerk coaches and I would have to image that if you appeal it and have a valid reason, Calsouth would look at the best interest of the child.

Now if the only reason they want to move is to be on a more winning team, I would hope that they tell the family to pound sand.

So you don't know that an appeal will most likely be denied because you have never filed an appeal. There are some real jerk coaches and I would have to image that if you appeal it and have a valid reason, Calsouth would look at the best interest of the child.

Now if the only reason they want to move is to be on a more winning team, I would hope that they tell the family to pound sand.

The attitude of Cal South has varied over the years. During the Mullen anti-Presidency, a lot of player-unfriendly rules and policies were instituted.

Back