Coach background checks

Coaches (like any adults that work with children) are subject to Live Scan, definitely one of the most thorough types of background checks available as it is administered by the DOJ and requires fingerprinting. But most importantly if offers continuous monitoring. So unlike most employer background checks, the Live Scan will notify an employer of an arrest (for anything: warrant, DUI, possession, robbery, etc.), as long as the coach stays employed with the club.

And don't get me started on alcohol... The only drug that you have to explain why you AREN'T using it. I'm not advocating dependency on anything the but the social acceptance of alcohol makes it much more dangerous for our kids than anything else. Not to mention that it is highly linked to violence and abuse against people. To compare alcohol to marijuana from a statistic standpoint of consequences is just not a good argument.
https://www.addictioncenter.com/community/why-alcohol-is-the-deadliest-drug/

The Deadliest Drug
Alcohol is the most socially acceptable drug on the market and the most easily accessible. Even with this knowledge, the general public still has a tendency to believe alcohol is ok, not dangerous, and an acceptable form of relaxation. Science tells us something different. Alcohol is the deadliest drug of all. Let’s look at why this is true.

Alcohol kills more people than all other drugs combined.
Alcohol is the third leading preventable cause of death in the U.S.

I am not a supporter of alcohol and certainly know the damage it causes. My comment was about the casual attitude that most seem to have about marijuana and the misinformation about it.

Was some "misinformation" posted here in this thread?

“The well-regulated weed we have now is less harmful to the body than anything with alcohol in it.”
The higher concentrations of THC (1% in the 70's vs 13%-30% now) and the edibles that delay activation in the body create more risk for overdose. Also, there is not a standard regulation of content in marijuana products

“I'd much rather my kid play for someone who uses marijuana than alcohol” (implying it is better and safer)
both drugs can cause mood changes, alterations in judgment, reaction times, etc - and there is no test to determine that one is too high to drive

“Both alcohol and marijuana are bad for developing brains”
The concurrent and lasting effects of adolescent cannabis use can be observed on important cognitive functions and appear to be more pronounced than those observed for alcohol. American Journal of Psychiatry (https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18020202)

back to the original topic of background checks.... what might be more important than how often a background check is done or what it looks for is parents remaining actively involved and observant of coaches behaviors. Many coaches and clubs create a culture that coaches have ultimate control over your minor child, parents are considered a nuisance, and that coaches can and should communicate privately with your DD's. Having a system where coaches privately text or call your DD's outside of practice and games leads to opportunities for coaches that have poor boundaries and nefarious behaviors

“The well-regulated weed we have now is less harmful to the body than anything with alcohol in it.”
The higher concentrations of THC (1% in the 70's vs 13%-30% now) and the edibles that delay activation in the body create more risk for overdose. Also, there is not a standard regulation of content in marijuana products

“I'd much rather my kid play for someone who uses marijuana than alcohol” (implying it is better and safer)
both drugs can cause mood changes, alterations in judgment, reaction times, etc - and there is no test to determine that one is too high to drive

The concurrent and lasting effects of adolescent cannabis use can be observed on important cognitive functions and appear to be more pronounced than those observed for alcohol. American Journal of Psychiatry (https://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.ajp.2018.18020202)

Item 1: The edibles available today are tested and labeled for THC content. That is old technology.

Item 2: "I'd much rather..." is an opinion.

Item 3: We were discussing adult use.

Item 1: The edibles available today are tested and labeled for THC content. That is old technology.

#4 non so such thing as an OD of weed

Edibles packaging/testing have only recently been more stringent - still have some shops selling things that aren’t regulated. Packaging has become really strict - which is a good thing. Edibles in some forms still shouldn’t be on the shelf, IMO.

#4 non so such thing as an OD of weed

Edibles packaging/testing have only recently been more stringent - still have some shops selling things that aren’t regulated. Packaging has become really strict - which is a good thing. Edibles in some forms still shouldn’t be on the shelf, IMO.

Yes, you can OD on cannabis..... since you aren't aware of that here is an article so you know how to recognize the signs and what to do. Overdose does not mean you die ("In general, an illicit drug overdose can be defined as a drug dose that is large enough to be toxic. It can be fatal or nonfatal, depending on the amount of drug or combinations of drugs consumed. " definition from U of Arizona)

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/how-to-spot-a-cannabis-overdose-1.4083841

yes but I was responding to this: "Both alcohol and marijuana are bad for developing brains" you asked what misinformation was in this thread and I gave you a research study that said "Cannabis use, but not alcohol consumption, showed lagged (neurotoxic) effects on inhibitory control and working memory and concurrent effects on delayed memory recall and perceptual reasoning (with some evidence of developmental sensitivity). Cannabis effects were independent of any alcohol effects." so they are not the same in impacting brain development.

yes but I was responding to this: "Both alcohol and marijuana are bad for developing brains" you asked what misinformation was in this thread and I gave you a research study that said "Cannabis use, but not alcohol consumption, showed lagged (neurotoxic) effects on inhibitory control and working memory and concurrent effects on delayed memory recall and perceptual reasoning (with some evidence of developmental sensitivity). Cannabis effects were independent of any alcohol effects." so they are not the same in impacting brain development.

Alcohol is not bad for developing brains? Or are you just putting up strawmen to argue against?

alcohol isn't great for a teenager's developing brain either but most of the research indicates this impact is from regular excessive/binge drinking not intermittent or causal drinking. Also, the damage done by marijuana is different and more impacting.

As I said, I am not a fan of either but there are more myths about marijuana that cause most to be very casual and accepting of marijuana use as if it is better.

alcohol isn't great for a teenager's developing brain either but most of the research indicates this impact is from regular excessive/binge drinking not intermittent or causal drinking. Also, the damage done by marijuana is different and more impacting.

As I said, I am not a fan of either but there are more myths about marijuana that cause most to be very casual and accepting of marijuana use as if it is better.

What myths?

marijuana is better for you than alcohol;
marijuana is healthy because it is a plant, not a drug
you can't OD on marijuana,
marijuana is not addictive,
marijuana isn't as bad as cigarettes,
marijuana is harmless,
driving high is not as bad as driving drunk,
marijuana reduces stress and anxiety
marijuana makes smokers less aggressive

marijuana is harmless,

Where did you get this information? Do you have research that backs it up? I have never seen a study that makes it seem that driving while high on weed is not as bad as alcohol.

Where did you get this information? Do you have research that backs it up? I have never seen a study that makes it seem that driving while high on weed is not as bad as alcohol.

Driving under the influence of certain amounts is not good for either but alcohol does cause more serious accidents statistically, however cannabis can make drivers too high to be safe. What's too high? Your results may vary

https://www.10news.com/news/uc-san-diego-simulator-tests-cannabis-users-on-the-road

Now hemp that you can also extract CBD out of has been declassified by the feds so that's good for the medical community.

marijuana is harmless,

Not all of those "myths" are untrue.

Both of these statements (by me) are true and backed up by the data that @Soccer43 has provided.

Back