Climate and Weather

Trends_in_global_average_absolute_sea_level%2C_1880-2013.png

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/65/Trends_in_global_average_absolute_sea_level,_1880-2013.png
How many feet since the last glaciation?
We are at or near the peak interval of our current interglacial. (or sine wave)
8 inches in 120 yrs seems about right.

Tesla Battery, Subsidy and Sustainability Fantasies
https://m.townhall.com/columnists/p...subsidy-and-sustainability-fantasies-n2358396

Paul Driessen | July 22, 2017

b8f19816-fa14-4998-8c55-145d6fec6833.jpg

The first justification was that internal combustion engines polluted too much. But emissions steadily declined, and today’s cars emit about 3% of what their predecessors did. Then it was oil imports: electric vehicles(EVs) would reduce foreign dependency and balance of trade deficits. Bountiful oil and natural gas supplies from America’s hydraulic fracturing revolution finally eliminated that as an argument.

Now the focus is on climate change. Every EV sale will help prevent assumed and asserted manmade temperature, climate and weather disasters, we’re told – even if their total sales represented less than 1% of all U.S. car and light truck sales in 2016 (Tesla sold 47,184 of the 17,557,955 vehicles sold nationwide last year), and plug-in EVs account for barely 0.15% of 1.4 billion vehicles on the road worldwide.

In recent months, Tesla sales plunged to nearly zero in Hong Kong and Denmark, as huge government subsidies were eliminated. Now Tesla’s U.S. subsidies face extinction. Once its cumulative sales since 2009 reach 200,000 vehicles in the next few months, federal tax rebates will plunge from $7,500 per car to zero over an 18-month period. The same thing will happen to other EV companies that reach 200,000.

Subsidies clearly drive sales for EVs, which are often double the cost of comparable gasoline-powered vehicles. Free charging stations, and access to HOV lanes for plug-ins with only the driver, further sweeten the deal. For those who can afford the entry fee, the ride is smooth indeed. In fact, a 2015 study found, the richest 20% of Americans received 90% of hundreds of millions in taxpayer EV subsidies.

https://m.townhall.com/columnists/p...subsidy-and-sustainability-fantasies-n2358396

Paul Driessen | July 22, 2017

b8f19816-fa14-4998-8c55-145d6fec6833.jpg

The first justification was that internal combustion engines polluted too much. But emissions steadily declined, and today’s cars emit about 3% of what their predecessors did. Then it was oil imports: electric vehicles(EVs) would reduce foreign dependency and balance of trade deficits. Bountiful oil and natural gas supplies from America’s hydraulic fracturing revolution finally eliminated that as an argument.

Now the focus is on climate change. Every EV sale will help prevent assumed and asserted manmade temperature, climate and weather disasters, we’re told – even if their total sales represented less than 1% of all U.S. car and light truck sales in 2016 (Tesla sold 47,184 of the 17,557,955 vehicles sold nationwide last year), and plug-in EVs account for barely 0.15% of 1.4 billion vehicles on the road worldwide.

In recent months, Tesla sales plunged to nearly zero in Hong Kong and Denmark, as huge government subsidies were eliminated. Now Tesla’s U.S. subsidies face extinction. Once its cumulative sales since 2009 reach 200,000 vehicles in the next few months, federal tax rebates will plunge from $7,500 per car to zero over an 18-month period. The same thing will happen to other EV companies that reach 200,000.

Subsidies clearly drive sales for EVs, which are often double the cost of comparable gasoline-powered vehicles. Free charging stations, and access to HOV lanes for plug-ins with only the driver, further sweeten the deal. For those who can afford the entry fee, the ride is smooth indeed. In fact, a 2015 study found, the richest 20% of Americans received 90% of hundreds of millions in taxpayer EV subsidies.
What a beast of a car though. I don't give a crap about how its supposed to help the environment. Nobody beats me off the line or in a quarter mile.

Dude freakin' 0-60 in less than 4 seconds. It was scary the first time I rode in my buddy's car. Asked me if I wanted to drive. I declined. I was still trying to pull myself out of the passenger seat imprint. The new S models go 0-60 in 2 seconds he says.
Sounds fun, I used to have a mustang GT, it seems I was going 100 mph everyday. Too much car for my own good.

Sounds fun, I used to have a mustang GT, it seems I was going 100 mph everyday. Too much car for my own good.
I used to love moving those (Randy Reyes style) to different locations in Waikiki as needed when I worked part-time for Budget in the early 90's. My HPD buddies would just shake their heads when I popped the clutch on Kapiolani near the Hyatt.

Back