CAS G08 Rankings (updated Sep 4th)

Thanks for putting this together Carlsbad I'm sure it too quite a bit of sometime to hammer that all out. With that being said has anyone ever thought that rankings at this young of an age is a reason why teams/parents/coaches/players focus more on winning than developing? Just a thought, I'd love to see all the girls in the age group flourish and continue to love the game and learn as much as possible but it feels like ranking these 7 and 8 year old teams just does more harm than good.

Thanks for putting this together Carlsbad I'm sure it too quite a bit of sometime to hammer that all out. With that being said has anyone ever thought that rankings at this young of an age is a reason why teams/parents/coaches/players focus more on winning than developing? Just a thought, I'd love to see all the girls in the age group flourish and continue to love the game and learn as much as possible but it feels like ranking these 7 and 8 year old teams just does more harm than good.
Read the disclaimer in his post. These ranking are for fun and create dialogue. If you switch clubs and coaches because of these rankings you probably shouldn't be on these forums.

My DD has never asked to see the rankings and doubt she even knows they exist.

Read the disclaimer in his post. These ranking are for fun and create dialogue. If you switch clubs and coaches because of these rankings you probably shouldn't be on these forums.

My DD has never asked to see the rankings and doubt she even knows they exist.

Thanks for the valid discussion point! I can't take credit for putting together the algorithm/spreadsheet, TangoCity put it together for the '04 and '05's, I only used his template and input the ~1k games.

I had fun seeing where my '05 daughter's team fell over the summer and with two daughters in '08 (one an '09 playing up) at different ends of the spectrum, I thought this would be a fun way to see the difference between their two teams/clubs. I think it also gives some perspective on the development/results you see throughout the course of the year, did the girls have an off day or did they play a very good team. None of my three daughters have seen the rankings nor even know that they exist.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. It is fun to see where teams stack up and have a solid measurement on the type of competition we are facing. Having played a large majority of the teams on this list, I am really amazed how accurate it is. Of coarse there will always be teams that feel they should be higher or lower but it is a very solid list based on what we have seen. Love it!!!

What is interesting to see is how the strength of schedule for the coast teams are markedly higher, overall, then the SCDSL teams. Our Eagles team although ranked #6 has a really high SoS score. A testament to the quality of the teams down south and that there really are very few competitive girls teams say north of the 10 freeway? I don't understand why we cannot get more competitive girls teams in our area. Irvine, SD etc. area have a clear advantage when it comes to playing competitive games week in and week out. It is no wonder we went out in the first round of Blues. It took us still Sunday to get up to speed of play when we tied Surf EGSL. But it was too late by then. I hope it is different at Surf on Turkey weekend...but probably not. Can't wait to see all the girls teams play anyway.

What is interesting to see is how the strength of schedule for the coast teams are markedly higher, overall, then the SCDSL teams. Our Eagles team although ranked #6 has a really high SoS score. A testament to the quality of the teams down south and that there really are very few competitive girls teams say north of the 10 freeway? I don't understand why we cannot get more competitive girls teams in our area. Irvine, SD etc. area have a clear advantage when it comes to playing competitive games week in and week out. It is no wonder we went out in the first round of Blues. It took us still Sunday to get up to speed of play when we tied Surf EGSL. But it was too late by then. I hope it is different at Surf on Turkey weekend...but probably not. Can't wait to see all the girls teams play anyway.

Agreed! The OC and SD have way more competition week in and week out.
This is why we moved to SCDSL this year. The only reason we decided on Tier 2 was to avoid super long drives for 7-8 girls every weekend as it affects their performance but even tier 2 is a bore as we just work on our ball movement most games. I think we have a scrimmage set up with each other before Surf so we can ratchet up the intensity we will both need. ;) Arsenal Out! PS: Big Red has an open door policy with us!!! LOVE HER!!!!

haha...love arsenal! I was wondering why you guys were in flight 2. But that makes sense. It is quite annoying to have to drive further to play then the length of a game(about an hour). If we decide to stay in coast next year then we may have to take you up on that. I can't watch anymore blowout games. Are you guys going to Vegas?

haha...love arsenal! I was wondering why you guys were in flight 2. But that makes sense. It is quite annoying to have to drive further to play then the length of a game(about an hour). If we decide to stay in coast next year then we may have to take you up on that. I can't watch anymore blowout games. Are you guys going to Vegas?

Yes that is the plan! Vegas baby!!!

We set up a scrimmage once down in Fullerton to test if we could handle the tier 1 drives. 4 hours of driving for a 1 hour game and we came out so flat.

See you in a couple of weeks!

I don't think we are planning on Vegas. But I am there every year for an over 40 tournament with the family if you want to plant that seed in Ryan's ear for Big Red?

Looks like we are going to Vegas. Maybe another tournament some time then. Also, I have access to a futsal court anytime in Canoga Park. It would be great to get a little 3 or 4 team tournament for the girls on one Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Or even just an alternative to a scrimmage between the two of us?

I have added this weekend's tournaments; The Player's Cup (including CDA Slammers, Arsenal, EDA, and others), NHB Cup (including Strikers, Irvine Slammers), Thousand Oaks Classic as well as added ~30 tournaments going back to May. There are now ~480 games in the spreadsheet and 131 teams. The methodology uses the excel solver and a "best fit" algorithm that takes as input scores from all tournaments and league play to then come up with a "strength" number (SRS) for each team. The difference in strength numbers tells you how many more goals better one team is than another. Here are the Top 40 teams as of August 28th (>5 games):
View attachment 95
The 2008 Striker team breaking up? Coaching changes ?

The 2008 Striker team breaking up? Coaching changes ?
I love how CDA Slammers - woke was awfully quiet on the thread about 'SD Surf Tournament Results', but now wants to try and create drama with the team that beat him in the finals. CDA Slammers is a great team, I'm just not quite sure why every post that "woke" makes seems to be attacking Strikers & trying to stir the pot. I guess that's what some people use this forum for...but jealousy can be an ugly thing.

I love how CDA Slammers - woke was awfully quiet on the thread about 'SD Surf Tournament Results', but now wants to try and create drama with the team that beat him in the finals. CDA Slammers is a great team, I'm just not quite sure why every post that "woke" makes seems to be attacking Strikers & trying to stir the pot. I guess that's what some people use this forum for...but jealousy can be an ugly thing.
Completely agree with your comment but I'm so disappointed with coach Pete leaving to Slammers, I know a couple of our girls are leaving with him and hopefully it doe not effect our team to bad.

Back