CAS G08 Rankings (updated Sep 4th)

I have added this weekend's tournaments; The Player's Cup (including CDA Slammers, Arsenal, EDA, and others), NHB Cup (including Strikers, Irvine Slammers), Thousand Oaks Classic as well as added ~30 tournaments going back to May. There are now ~480 games in the spreadsheet and 131 teams. The methodology uses the excel solver and a "best fit" algorithm that takes as input scores from all tournaments and league play to then come up with a "strength" number (SRS) for each team. The difference in strength numbers tells you how many more goals better one team is than another. Here are the Top 40 teams as of August 28th (>5 games):
aug28th.png

Last edited:
I have added this weekend's tournaments; The Player's Cup (including CDA Slammers, Arsenal, EDA, and others), NHB Cup (including Strikers, Irvine Slammers), Thousand Oaks Classic as well as added ~30 tournaments going back to May. There are now ~480 games in the spreadsheet and 131 teams. The methodology uses the excel solver and a "best fit" algorithm that takes as input scores from all tournaments and league play to then come up with a "strength" number (SRS) for each team. The difference in strength numbers tells you how many more goals better one team is than another. Here are the Top 40 teams as of August 28th (>5 games):
View attachment 95
7 of the top 13 playing in Blues Cup this weekend...nice!

Pretty cool stuff to already have rankings for the u9s!!! We've filmed a fair share of the girls 2008 age group.

We haven't seen the Blues or Strikers play yet but without a doubt, CDA Slammers Cruz team is the best we've seen. Their defense is stout, their center mid is an absolute stud and their attacking players are very skilled. We caught a play of one of their players doing a BICYCLE KICK during a match! Let that marinate for a second....a u9girl doing a bicycle kick during a game. We've been filming for quite some time and haven't seen any player try that during a match. The ball skimmed just above the crossbar on a small goal. If it was a regulation goal, it was for sure in the back of the net. Simply incredible.

The team we really enjoy watching is Arsenal Casey. This team is being coached the right way. We've seen them connect 5> passes and they are already playing from the backline. Just to watch this team understand possession and switching the field at this age is amazing. Watch out for this team they are only going to get better.

If we can help your team by filming a game or putting together a player highlight reel, don't hesitate.

Here's a sample of a player we did a highlight reel for from the G2008 age division.

Nutmeg Junkies
"The best talent in the nation plays in Southern California and we capture it!"

Wow, CDA Slammers seem for real! But didn't they lose earlier this summer (Cerritos Cup) to both Blues & Arsenal? Maybe they were missing some players or have added some since that tournament. I wish they were playing in Blues Cup this weekend...seems like most of the top teams will be there, would be cool to see CDA Slammers there as well.

7 of the top 13 playing in Blues Cup this weekend...nice!
Now 8 of the top 13, Rebels pull out of bracket B and SDSC in! #6 in for #37.

Bracket A has #8 and 11
Bracket B now with #1, 5, and 6
Bracket C has #3, 7, and 13

who gets the wildcard now?

Congratulations to Blues on the Blues Cup win! They are a different team with #3 guesting from the '07 team, hard to defend her shot off the kickoff or free kicks from mid-field. Two great strikes from mid-field were the difference in the championship, as the third time was the charm for the Blues with a 3-1 win against LA Galaxy SD.

They are the biggest movers of the week from #8 to #5.

Overall a fantastic tournament with great soccer in every bracket! Look forward to hopefully adding CDA Slammers and Arsenal LA to the mix at Surf Turkey Day Cup. Good luck to all as league play starts!

9-05 rankings.jpg

Last edited:
Be intresting to see if strikers bring down their 08 player that plays on their 07's. Have seen her play and if they do no 08 team can play with them.

Be intresting to see if strikers bring down their 08 player that plays on their 07's. Have seen her play and if they do no 08 team can play with them.
The Strikers might need to bring her down for another 60+ game win streak but from what I saw from our Saturday game with Strikers and playing Blues this morning (and twice in August), the Strikers are still very much the class of the '08's whether the Blues have #3 or not. They play out of the back, connect passes with precision and have great strikes. A fun to team to watch, with a great sideline of parents as well.

Will be fun to see all the teams progress from now to State Cup!

The Strikers might need to bring her down for another 60+ game win streak but from what I saw from our Saturday game with Strikers and playing Blues this morning (and twice in August), the Strikers are still very much the class of the '08's whether the Blues have #3 or not. They play out of the back, connect passes with precision and have great strikes. A fun to team to watch, with a great sideline of parents as well.

Not all 08 teams carry a roster of 12 and not all clubs are 48 players deep with 8 year olds. Hence players are purposefully moved up and down regarding need and development.

I agree Strikers do not need her, whoever she is.

One thing that I noticed that was interesting is the formations. On those small fields some teams were playing 3 in the back, sometimes it seemed like 5 in the back. I noticed Strikers played 2 in the back when we played them. They switched to 3 in the back when they got down on Blues. They have two very different forwards. One is more fitness and one is more physical. Hard to settle in when their bench is so deep. That is when they got us. Our bench is nowhere near as deep, then they brought in their physical forward and she put two on us right away.

Carlsbad has the best keeper I saw all weekend. Blues Keeper was pretty good too, we did not play them, I just watched a little of the Strikers vs Blues Game. I think these girls need to play on bigger fields, let them knock it around. Blues was playing very direct. Heck even trying to score on kickoff I saw. Not sure if it worked. Did it? Strikers looked flat, maybe to much swimming or to much driving in traffic, but not the same team as I saw on Saturday.

Legends Gold probably didn't want to be flight 1.

I believe she will play in a few....when they don't conflict with the 07's games

I believe she will play in a few....when they don't conflict with the 07's games

I think you will see this from a lot of the kids that play up. We shouldn't bad mouth them. It's all about development, right. I don't want to hear anything about any team having player pass (club) guests. If they are '08, get over it. Wishing all a fun and successful opening weekend in SCDSL and other leagues. Like many have said before, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Enjoy these days.....they go fast!

I agree Strikers do not need her, whoever she is.

One thing that I noticed that was interesting is the formations. On those small fields some teams were playing 3 in the back, sometimes it seemed like 5 in the back. I noticed Strikers played 2 in the back when we played them. They switched to 3 in the back when they got down on Blues. They have two very different forwards. One is more fitness and one is more physical. Hard to settle in when their bench is so deep. That is when they got us. Our bench is nowhere near as deep, then they brought in their physical forward and she put two on us right away.

Carlsbad has the best keeper I saw all weekend. Blues Keeper was pretty good too, we did not play them, I just watched a little of the Strikers vs Blues Game. I think these girls need to play on bigger fields, let them knock it around. Blues was playing very direct. Heck even trying to score on kickoff I saw. Not sure if it worked. Did it? Strikers looked flat, maybe to much swimming or to much driving in traffic, but not the same team as I saw on Saturday.

Legends Gold probably didn't want to be flight 1.

Yes Legends Gold should not have been Flight 1 Way out of their league. They should have been in the Flight 2.

Top 50 Rankings thru 10/22 (out of 161 CalSouth '08 teams and 996 games recorded!) with all the caveats that this is a "best fit" algorithm like the Sagarin basketball rankings, definitely not perfect and all for fun. I played with a home-field advantage for league games but at 1 goal per game it had no significant impact on rankings (a few teams 10-50 switched places). Also, recent results have no greater impact than older results (I think based on recent results a human poll would have a different order of the Top 10). Difference in SRS is the projected goal difference between teams:
rankings_1025.png

Top 50 Rankings thru 10/22 (out of 161 CalSouth '08 teams and 996 games recorded!) with all the caveats that this is a "best fit" algorithm like the Sagarin basketball rankings, definitely not perfect and all for fun. I played with a home-field advantage for league games but at 1 goal per game it had no significant impact on rankings (a few teams 10-50 switched places). Also, recent results have no greater impact than older results (I think based on recent results a human poll would have a different order of the Top 10). Difference in SRS is the projected goal difference between teams:
View attachment 268
What is the "rank SoS"? I notice that the coast teams have a much higher one that the SCDSL teams.

Back